Sonoran Dude

Default Pintos Tepin

1 cup of fresh cooked unsalted pintos
1-3 tbl spoons of bacon grease or peanut oil
1 tablespoon McCormick Mayonesa (Any Mexican mayonaise made with lime
juice not lemon)
4-10 chili tepins
dash kosher salt

In an iron skillet bring pan to heat. add oil or bacon grease till it is
ready to fry. Add cup of beans with juice and cook over high heat. Using
a potato masher mash the beans to a smooth consistancy. Stir in
mayonaise and salt to taste.

Chili tepin can be crushed and added in the beans as an excellent spicy
dip or side dish. If you have friends that can't handle the heat you may
want to leave the tepins on the side and crush over your own serving.

Tepin and mayonaise is great with whole beans too. It is a perfect
combination of flavors. Just stir in a spoonful to hot beans and crush
the chili over the top.
Wayne Lundberg

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> 1 cup of fresh cooked unsalted pintos
> 1-3 tbl spoons of bacon grease or peanut oil
> 1 tablespoon McCormick Mayonesa (Any Mexican mayonaise made with lime
> juice not lemon)
> 4-10 chili tepins
> dash kosher salt
>

> In an iron skillet bring pan to heat. add oil or bacon grease till it is
> ready to fry. Add cup of beans with juice and cook over high heat. Using
> a potato masher mash the beans to a smooth consistancy. Stir in
> mayonaise and salt to taste.
>
> Chili tepin can be crushed and added in the beans as an excellent spicy
> dip or side dish. If you have friends that can't handle the heat you may
> want to leave the tepins on the side and crush over your own serving.
>
> Tepin and mayonaise is great with whole beans too. It is a perfect
> combination of flavors. Just stir in a spoonful to hot beans and crush
> the chili over the top.

Good one. I imagine you are thinking chile piquin? In all honesty I have yet
to see a chile piquin in my Vons, Ralphs or Albertsons. May I suggest the
dried red chile de arbol as a substitute if you can't find chili tepin?

Wayne

Wayne Lundberg

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> 1 cup of fresh cooked unsalted pintos
> 1-3 tbl spoons of bacon grease or peanut oil
> 1 tablespoon McCormick Mayonesa (Any Mexican mayonaise made with lime
> juice not lemon)
> 4-10 chili tepins
> dash kosher salt
>

> In an iron skillet bring pan to heat. add oil or bacon grease till it is
> ready to fry. Add cup of beans with juice and cook over high heat. Using
> a potato masher mash the beans to a smooth consistancy. Stir in
> mayonaise and salt to taste.
>
> Chili tepin can be crushed and added in the beans as an excellent spicy
> dip or side dish. If you have friends that can't handle the heat you may
> want to leave the tepins on the side and crush over your own serving.
>
> Tepin and mayonaise is great with whole beans too. It is a perfect
> combination of flavors. Just stir in a spoonful to hot beans and crush
> the chili over the top.

From a Google search:

Tepin Chiles
Tepin Chiles (Capsicum Annuum) are also known as Bird Peppers or Chiltepins.
Shaped more like a berry than a chile, the Tepin relies on birds to
propagate it's seeds. Rarely found cultivated, it grows wild in Southern
Texas and throughout Mexico. This chile has a long history, the word Tepin
is from the Nahuatl language of the Aztec Indians. This little pepper is
very spicy with a searing heat. On the heat scale the Tepin is an 8.Scoville
heat units 40,000 - 50,000.

Suggested Use:
Tepin Chiles are very hot Don't let their small size deceive you, a little
goes a long way. Use in Mexican recipes and in Posole dishes. If you love
hot chili, salsa and stews, this is the chile for you.

Sonoran Dude

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
>
>>1 cup of fresh cooked unsalted pintos
>>1-3 tbl spoons of bacon grease or peanut oil
>>1 tablespoon McCormick Mayonesa (Any Mexican mayonaise made with lime
>>juice not lemon)
>>4-10 chili tepins
>>dash kosher salt
>>

>>In an iron skillet bring pan to heat. add oil or bacon grease till it is
>>ready to fry. Add cup of beans with juice and cook over high heat. Using
>>a potato masher mash the beans to a smooth consistancy. Stir in
>>mayonaise and salt to taste.
>>
>>Chili tepin can be crushed and added in the beans as an excellent spicy
>>dip or side dish. If you have friends that can't handle the heat you may
>>want to leave the tepins on the side and crush over your own serving.
>>
>>Tepin and mayonaise is great with whole beans too. It is a perfect
>>combination of flavors. Just stir in a spoonful to hot beans and crush
>>the chili over the top.

> Good one. I imagine you are thinking chile piquin? In all honesty I have yet
> to see a chile piquin in my Vons, Ralphs or Albertsons. May I suggest the
> dried red chile de arbol as a substitute if you can't find chili tepin?
>
> Wayne

Your second post was on the money. The Tepin is a small almost round
berry that has the most incredible chili flavor ever. Fresh Tepins are
out of this world and you must have a bush near by to enjoy these.

Arbol would probably work but they definately don't have the flavor of
the tepin. Also since it is a true pod you may want to toast the Arbol
to avoid any food borne bacteria. I have never had a problem with eating
raw/dried tepin but know that you must be careful with larger pods like
red chili.

Anyways enjoy! This is a very satisfying snack!

Wayne Lundberg

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> > "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> >

> Your second post was on the money. The Tepin is a small almost round
> berry that has the most incredible chili flavor ever. Fresh Tepins are
> out of this world and you must have a bush near by to enjoy these.
>
> Arbol would probably work but they definately don't have the flavor of
> the tepin. Also since it is a true pod you may want to toast the Arbol
> to avoid any food borne bacteria. I have never had a problem with eating
> raw/dried tepin but know that you must be careful with larger pods like
> red chili.
>
> Anyways enjoy! This is a very satisfying snack!

Thanks.... am looking forward to trying your tasty morsel!

Wayne