Sonoran Dude

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
>
>>1 cup of fresh cooked unsalted pintos
>>1-3 tbl spoons of bacon grease or peanut oil
>>1 tablespoon McCormick Mayonesa (Any Mexican mayonaise made with lime
>>juice not lemon)
>>4-10 chili tepins
>>dash kosher salt
>>

>>In an iron skillet bring pan to heat. add oil or bacon grease till it is
>>ready to fry. Add cup of beans with juice and cook over high heat. Using
>>a potato masher mash the beans to a smooth consistancy. Stir in
>>mayonaise and salt to taste.
>>
>>Chili tepin can be crushed and added in the beans as an excellent spicy
>>dip or side dish. If you have friends that can't handle the heat you may
>>want to leave the tepins on the side and crush over your own serving.
>>
>>Tepin and mayonaise is great with whole beans too. It is a perfect
>>combination of flavors. Just stir in a spoonful to hot beans and crush
>>the chili over the top.

> Good one. I imagine you are thinking chile piquin? In all honesty I have yet
> to see a chile piquin in my Vons, Ralphs or Albertsons. May I suggest the
> dried red chile de arbol as a substitute if you can't find chili tepin?
>
> Wayne

Your second post was on the money. The Tepin is a small almost round
berry that has the most incredible chili flavor ever. Fresh Tepins are
out of this world and you must have a bush near by to enjoy these.

Arbol would probably work but they definately don't have the flavor of
the tepin. Also since it is a true pod you may want to toast the Arbol
to avoid any food borne bacteria. I have never had a problem with eating
raw/dried tepin but know that you must be careful with larger pods like
red chili.

Anyways enjoy! This is a very satisfying snack!