GJB

Default question about pinto beans

I bought fresh pinto beans in shell at local farmers market this
week...googled for recipes and see that they need to be shelled, put in
water, and boiled for 15 minutes. Then drain water, return beans to a pan
and cook with seasonings (and ripe tomatoes per one receipe I looked at)
and about 1 cup water per one lb of beans (that's 1 lb when you started);
cover and cook until beans are tender, about an hour.
However a recipe for refried beans only had initial 15 min boiling, then
short saute with oil, onion, and seasonings, then pureed with potato
masher.

Wayne Lundberg

"GJB" <nomail@network> wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
> I bought fresh pinto beans in shell at local farmers market this
> week...googled for recipes and see that they need to be shelled, put in
> water, and boiled for 15 minutes. Then drain water, return beans to a pan
> and cook with seasonings (and ripe tomatoes per one receipe I looked at)
> and about 1 cup water per one lb of beans (that's 1 lb when you started);
> cover and cook until beans are tender, about an hour.
> However a recipe for refried beans only had initial 15 min boiling, then
> short saute with oil, onion, and seasonings, then pureed with potato
> masher.

I'm responding to your note with full expectations of being flamed because
in my experience with Mexican food, we never, never use fresh beans in
anything. I'm guessing that since beans are legums that can be stored for
long periods of time, as with corn, that the ancient natives that invented
agriculture, chose to keep beans for when fresh produce was not available.
Kind of like grandma bottling peaches for times when fresh fruit is not
available. So every recipe that I have calls for ... dried beans.

I'm not being critical, believe me, and am curious as to what a fresh pinto
bean might taste like. In my 70 years on this planet I have not had the
pleasure. Peas, yes, lima beans, yes...

Thank you for making me think!

Wayne

painless

In ,
Wayne Lundberg > said:
> "GJB" <nomail@network> wrote in message
> lkaboutcooking.com...
>> I bought fresh pinto beans in shell at local farmers market this
>> week...googled for recipes and see that they need to be shelled, put
>> in water, and boiled for 15 minutes. Then drain water, return beans
>> to a pan and cook with seasonings (and ripe tomatoes per one receipe
>> I looked at) and about 1 cup water per one lb of beans (that's 1 lb
>> when you started); cover and cook until beans are tender, about an
>> hour.
>> However a recipe for refried beans only had initial 15 min boiling,
>> then short saute with oil, onion, and seasonings, then pureed with
>> potato masher.

> I'm responding to your note with full expectations of being flamed
> because in my experience with Mexican food, we never, never use fresh
> beans in anything. I'm guessing that since beans are legums that can
> be stored for long periods of time, as with corn, that the ancient
> natives that invented agriculture, chose to keep beans for when fresh
> produce was not available. Kind of like grandma bottling peaches for
> times when fresh fruit is not available. So every recipe that I have
> calls for ... dried beans.
>
> I'm not being critical, believe me, and am curious as to what a fresh
> pinto bean might taste like. In my 70 years on this planet I have not
> had the pleasure. Peas, yes, lima beans, yes...
>
> Thank you for making me think!
>
> Wayne

Go with the first recipe. 15 minutes, and drain. (otherwize they will taste
"green") and cook for another hour with seasonings. We eat 'em like that
here, but Wayne is right, The whole idea behind the bean is that it keeps
forever. You won't find many green beans, or what we call shelled beans
with snaps in most subsistance diets. They are dried for storage, and other
greens and squash are eaten in season.

Jim Davis

Y'know I don't ever recall eating them fresh either and we grew up
growing them and eating them all the time. Wonder what fresh ones do
taste like. I will say though about your cooking plans, if they are
dried you'd best not cook them with tomatoes or they will never get soft
enought to eat. Something about the tomatoes makes them tough tough.
At least thats been my experience.

Wayne Lundberg wrote:

>"GJB" <nomail@network> wrote in message
alkaboutcooking.com...

>>I bought fresh pinto beans in shell at local farmers market this
>>week...googled for recipes and see that they need to be shelled, put in
>>water, and boiled for 15 minutes. Then drain water, return beans to a pan
>>and cook with seasonings (and ripe tomatoes per one receipe I looked at)
>>and about 1 cup water per one lb of beans (that's 1 lb when you started);
>>cover and cook until beans are tender, about an hour.
>>However a recipe for refried beans only had initial 15 min boiling, then
>>short saute with oil, onion, and seasonings, then pureed with potato
>>masher.
>>

>I'm responding to your note with full expectations of being flamed because
>in my experience with Mexican food, we never, never use fresh beans in
>anything. I'm guessing that since beans are legums that can be stored for
>long periods of time, as with corn, that the ancient natives that invented
>agriculture, chose to keep beans for when fresh produce was not available.
>Kind of like grandma bottling peaches for times when fresh fruit is not
>available. So every recipe that I have calls for ... dried beans.
>
>I'm not being critical, believe me, and am curious as to what a fresh pinto
>bean might taste like. In my 70 years on this planet I have not had the
>pleasure. Peas, yes, lima beans, yes...
>
>Thank you for making me think!
>
>Wayne

Pinto Beans Lou Decruss General Cooking 27 23-01-2012 08:49 PM
Ham REC - Drunk Pinto Beans Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] General Cooking 0 02-03-2009 03:46 AM
Pinto beans Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com General Cooking 13 08-02-2006 04:57 AM
Canning pinto beans Dwayne Preserving 0 06-01-2005 04:20 PM
Perky Pinto Beans Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 01:30 PM