Enrique Galvez-Durand Monge

Default Looking for easy tortillas recipe

Hi there! I'm looking for very easy tortillas recipe but made with corn
flour. Many recipes suggest using "maseca" but I want to use corn flour.
I did mixing flour, salt and water, but the tortillas had a bitter flavour.
Thanks for your suggestions
Enrique

Ernie

"Enrique Galvez-Durand Monge" > wrote in message
> Hi there! I'm looking for very easy tortillas recipe but made with corn
> flour. Many recipes suggest using "maseca" but I want to use corn flour.
> I did mixing flour, salt and water, but the tortillas had a bitter

flavour.
> Thanks for your suggestions
> Enrique

Enrique,
Isn't maseka just corn flour?
Ernie

Enrique Galvez-Durand Monge

Hi Ernie:
Maseca is a mix of corn flour and other ingredients. It's a kind of
dehydrated dough for tortillas ("maseca" is a combination of words masa -
dough- and seca -dry-).
Thanks a lot
Enrique

"Ernie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Enrique Galvez-Durand Monge" > wrote in message
>> Hi there! I'm looking for very easy tortillas recipe but made with corn
>> flour. Many recipes suggest using "maseca" but I want to use corn flour.
>> I did mixing flour, salt and water, but the tortillas had a bitter

> flavour.
>> Thanks for your suggestions
>> Enrique

> Enrique,
> Isn't maseka just corn flour?
> Ernie

George Beasley

I have used masa harina for making tortillas, works really well.
Elly

"Enrique Galvez-Durand Monge" > wrote in message
> Hi Ernie:
> Maseca is a mix of corn flour and other ingredients. It's a kind of
> dehydrated dough for tortillas ("maseca" is a combination of words masa -
> dough- and seca -dry-).
> Thanks a lot
> Enrique
>
> "Ernie" > wrote in message
> m...
> >
> > "Enrique Galvez-Durand Monge" > wrote in message
> >> Hi there! I'm looking for very easy tortillas recipe but made with corn
> >> flour. Many recipes suggest using "maseca" but I want to use corn

flour.
> >> I did mixing flour, salt and water, but the tortillas had a bitter

> > flavour.
> >> Thanks for your suggestions
> >> Enrique

> > Enrique,
> > Isn't maseka just corn flour?
> > Ernie

George Beasley

I have used masa harina for making tortillas, works really well.
Elly

"Enrique Galvez-Durand Monge" > wrote in message
> Hi Ernie:
> Maseca is a mix of corn flour and other ingredients. It's a kind of
> dehydrated dough for tortillas ("maseca" is a combination of words masa -
> dough- and seca -dry-).
> Thanks a lot
> Enrique
>
> "Ernie" > wrote in message
> m...
> >
> > "Enrique Galvez-Durand Monge" > wrote in message
> >> Hi there! I'm looking for very easy tortillas recipe but made with corn
> >> flour. Many recipes suggest using "maseca" but I want to use corn

flour.
> >> I did mixing flour, salt and water, but the tortillas had a bitter

> > flavour.
> >> Thanks for your suggestions
> >> Enrique

> > Enrique,
> > Isn't maseka just corn flour?
> > Ernie

Ernie

"Enrique Galvez-Durand Monge" > wrote in message
> Hi Ernie:
> Maseca is a mix of corn flour and other ingredients. It's a kind of
> dehydrated dough for tortillas ("maseca" is a combination of words masa -
> dough- and seca -dry-).
> Thanks a lot
> Enrique

Enrique,
I have a couple of bags of Maseca that I use for tamales. It says you can
use it for tortillas also, You might try using fresh masa for tortillas,
they say
you should get the masa that is made for tortillas, not tamales, something
about the texture is different.
Ernie

krusty kritter

Enrique Galvez-Durand Monge wrote:
> Hi there! I'm looking for very easy tortillas recipe but made with

corn flour. Many recipes suggest using "maseca" but I want to use corn
flour. I did mixing flour, salt and water, but the tortillas had a
bitter flavour.

Fine ground corn meal just won't make decent tortillas, according to
what I have read. I don't claim any experience at all in making
tortillas, since I can buy about 100 fresh small "corn" tortillas for
less than a dollar at the 99 Cents Only store...

I web-searched, looking for "nixtamal", which is made from a special
type of large kernel white corn called "cacahuazintle". It is soaked
for different periods of time in lime, depending on whether the
resulting masa is going to be used to make tortillas, or tamales...

Soaking the dried kernel removes the hard, indigestible husk and makes
certain B vitamins more available, improves the availability of the
corn's amino acids, greatly increases its calcium content, offsetting
corn's overabundance of phosphorus and neutralizing it's
calcium-binding phytic acid, and improves the taste. In the process,
the texture of the kernel is altered, so that it can be ground into a
dough (called "masa") that will stick together when formed into
tortillas.

If the dough is dried and then ground into a fine flour (which is
probably finer than untreated cornmeal) it is called "masa harina", or
"masa seca"...

While researching "cacahuazintle" and "cacahuacintle", I also found a
very interesting web page about Mexican cooking and culture that
explains how everything associated with corn is still consumed or used,
from the ear of corn itself to the corn silks, the leaves, the stalks
and even a fungus that grows around the roots of the corn is eaten...

And rural paisanos in Mexico still gather the Corn Earworms, toast them
on a comal and make tacos from them. I haven't found any recipes for
such tacos yet...

Another easy and delicious recipe. Cheri Diabetic 1 24-02-2008 07:40 PM
Easy holiday recipe Gwyneð Bennetdottir Cooking Equipment 0 17-12-2007 01:19 PM
Easy Roast Recipe Manny Recipes 0 25-01-2007 05:49 PM
Easy Fudge Recipe chef_rwmiller Recipes (moderated) 0 07-10-2006 07:54 PM
Tortillas de Harina = Flour Tortillas Rolly Mexican Cooking 5 11-04-2005 03:32 PM