Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Chicken posole in green chile sauce

I was fortunate enough to find the last package of fresh pasilla
chiles in the produce section at the 99 Cents Only store, so I made
chicken posole yesterday.

I de-seeded and chopped up the six pasilla chiles and pureed them with
the liquid in a large can of maiz morada (Mexican purple hominy, aka
"Indian corn").

I poured that puree into my slow cooker along with a second can of
maiz morada and added another 12 ounces of water.

I added two teaspoons of cumin, a teaspoon of powdered garlic, two
tablespoons of Mexican oregano and six chicken thighs.

I also de-seeded and chopped up four yellow sweet peppers and placed
them on top of the rest of the mixture.

Four hours later, it was done. The posole was not excessively spicy at
all. The yellow sweet peppers disappeared completely.

My only criticism was that the sauce looked too transparent. But
posole made with red chiles always looks that way too.

This problem always resolves itself if the posole is allowed to sit
overnight, but I'm thinking about adding some kind of starch next
time.

Maybe masaseca would make the sauce could thicker...