Old 04-11-2003, 03:28 PM
tim barnes

Default storing chipotles?

A friend from Az. sent me a large box of dry chipotles. Does anyone have any
advise as to how I should store these peppers?

Old 04-11-2003, 05:26 PM
BW

Does anyone have any
advise as to how I should store these peppers?

I keep them in jars in the pantry, doesn't seem to hurt them at all.
My climate in Colorado is as dry as Az.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:23 PM
Misschef

Yes, jars are the best idea. A lot depends on the climate where you live and
jars are best, regardless. Dried chilies spoil rapidly in a humid climate if
not totally sealed to keep moisture and insects out.

Misschef

news:041120031026294662%[email protected] .net...

Old 04-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Jack Schidt«

"tim barnes" wrote in message
.. .
A friend from Az. sent me a large box of dry chipotles. Does anyone have

any
advise as to how I should store these peppers?

I store what I'm going to use for a couple of weeks in a glass jar and the
rest I keep in the freezer in a ziploc bag. I live in CT and it's quite
humid here. This method works for me.

Jack

Old 05-11-2003, 01:05 AM
Shelora

I live on the westcoast of Canada and all my chiles are kept in
plastic bags and stored in big ol' Rubbermaid containers with lids.
They in turn are kept in my pantry away from excessive heat and
although it does get cold, here they never seem to dry out too much.
Of course, they are never around that long.

Old 05-11-2003, 12:13 PM
David Wright

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:52:26 -0700, "Aria"
wrote:

I have only purchased the kind in a jar in a sauce. Do fresh ones taste much
different??

"Fresh" chipotles really means smoked and dried jalape˝os. Like all
dried chiles, part of the final taste depends on what they were like
before being smoked.

There's a different taste and texture between the dry and canned
chipotles because of the adobo sauce, but I don't think I could
quantify it to my own satisfaction, much less to anyone else's. :-)
I keep both on hand for different uses.

I especially like to use dry chipotles along with other dried chiles
(anchos, New Mexico) to get that smoky taste in red chile for
enchiladas or for chili con carne. I'll use the canned ones mostly
when I'm braising chicken or lamb (birria.)

Somehow, I don't think I've answered you question very clearly. I
guess the easiest thing to do would be to try them both ways yourself
and see what you think.

David
Old 05-11-2003, 02:15 PM
JohnB

"Aria" wrote in message news:[email protected]
I have only purchased the kind in a jar in a sauce. Do fresh ones taste much
different??

"Jack Schidt«" wrote in message
m...

"tim barnes" wrote in message
.. .
A friend from Az. sent me a large box of dry chipotles. Does anyone have

any
advise as to how I should store these peppers?

I store what I'm going to use for a couple of weeks in a glass jar and the
rest I keep in the freezer in a ziploc bag. I live in CT and it's quite
humid here. This method works for me.

Jack

thanks for all the replies, great group here!

tim
Old 06-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Jack Schidt«

wrote:

[...]

I know exactly what you mean, but don't think I can explain it better. I
prefer the dried chipotle over the canned in adobo as I think you get the
unmasked chipotle flavor.

Jack

Old 06-11-2003, 03:53 PM
David Wright

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:08:45 GMT, "Jack Schidt«"
wrote:

I know exactly what you mean, but don't think I can explain it better. I
prefer the dried chipotle over the canned in adobo as I think you get the
unmasked chipotle flavor.

Jack

Forgot to mention before that my favorite way to eat canned-in-adobo
chipotles is to munch 'em right out of the can.

David

Old 07-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Thurman

David Wright wrote:

Forgot to mention before that my favorite way to eat canned-in-adobo
chipotles is to munch 'em right out of the can.

Some of our guys could use you in Iraq!

Old 11-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Jack Sloan

om...

wrote:

[...]

Jack, don't they have fresh habaneros in the grocery store up there?
Jack

Old 11-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Jack Schidt«

"Jack Sloan" wrote in message

Jack, don't they have fresh habaneros in the grocery store up there?
Jack

Of course they do, amigo! What's that got to do with chipotles?

Jack