tim barnes

Default storing chipotles?

A friend from Az. sent me a large box of dry chipotles. Does anyone have any
advise as to how I should store these peppers?

BW

Does anyone have any
> advise as to how I should store these peppers?

I keep them in jars in the pantry, doesn't seem to hurt them at all.
My climate in Colorado is as dry as Az.
Misschef

Yes, jars are the best idea. A lot depends on the climate where you live and
jars are best, regardless. Dried chilies spoil rapidly in a humid climate if
not totally sealed to keep moisture and insects out.

Misschef

"BW" > wrote in message
news:041120031026294662%brook.nospam.watts@comcast .net...
> Does anyone have any
> > advise as to how I should store these peppers?

> I keep them in jars in the pantry, doesn't seem to hurt them at all.
> My climate in Colorado is as dry as Az.

Jack Schidt®

"tim barnes" > wrote in message
.. .
> A friend from Az. sent me a large box of dry chipotles. Does anyone have

any
> advise as to how I should store these peppers?

I store what I'm going to use for a couple of weeks in a glass jar and the
rest I keep in the freezer in a ziploc bag. I live in CT and it's quite
humid here. This method works for me.

Jack

Shelora

I live on the westcoast of Canada and all my chiles are kept in
plastic bags and stored in big ol' Rubbermaid containers with lids.
They in turn are kept in my pantry away from excessive heat and
although it does get cold, here they never seem to dry out too much.
Of course, they are never around that long.

"Misschef" > wrote in message link.net>...
> Yes, jars are the best idea. A lot depends on the climate where you live and
> jars are best, regardless. Dried chilies spoil rapidly in a humid climate if
> not totally sealed to keep moisture and insects out.
>
> Misschef
>
> "BW" > wrote in message
> news:041120031026294662%brook.nospam.watts@comcast .net...
> > Does anyone have any
> > > advise as to how I should store these peppers?

> > I keep them in jars in the pantry, doesn't seem to hurt them at all.
> > My climate in Colorado is as dry as Az.

Aria

I have only purchased the kind in a jar in a sauce. Do fresh ones taste much
different??

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
m...

> "tim barnes" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > A friend from Az. sent me a large box of dry chipotles. Does anyone have

> any
> > advise as to how I should store these peppers?
> >

> I store what I'm going to use for a couple of weeks in a glass jar and the
> rest I keep in the freezer in a ziploc bag. I live in CT and it's quite
> humid here. This method works for me.
>
> Jack

David Wright

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:52:26 -0700, "Aria" >
wrote:

>I have only purchased the kind in a jar in a sauce. Do fresh ones taste much
>different??

"Fresh" chipotles really means smoked and dried jalapeños. Like all
dried chiles, part of the final taste depends on what they were like
before being smoked.

There's a different taste and texture between the dry and canned
chipotles because of the adobo sauce, but I don't think I could
quantify it to my own satisfaction, much less to anyone else's. :-)
I keep both on hand for different uses.

I especially like to use dry chipotles along with other dried chiles
(anchos, New Mexico) to get that smoky taste in red chile for
enchiladas or for chili con carne. I'll use the canned ones mostly
when I'm braising chicken or lamb (birria.)

Somehow, I don't think I've answered you question very clearly. I
guess the easiest thing to do would be to try them both ways yourself
and see what you think.

David
JohnB

"Aria" > wrote in message news:<Kn_pb.3178$mb5.1163@fed1read02>...
> I have only purchased the kind in a jar in a sauce. Do fresh ones taste much
> different??
>
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> m...
> >
> > "tim barnes" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > A friend from Az. sent me a large box of dry chipotles. Does anyone have

> any
> > > advise as to how I should store these peppers?
> > >

> > I store what I'm going to use for a couple of weeks in a glass jar and the
> > rest I keep in the freezer in a ziploc bag. I live in CT and it's quite
> > humid here. This method works for me.
> >
> > Jack

thanks for all the replies, great group here!

tim
Jack Schidt®

"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:52:26 -0700, "Aria" >
> wrote:
>
> >I have only purchased the kind in a jar in a sauce. Do fresh ones taste

much
> >different??

> "Fresh" chipotles really means smoked and dried jalapeños. Like all
> dried chiles, part of the final taste depends on what they were like
> before being smoked.
>
> There's a different taste and texture between the dry and canned
> chipotles because of the adobo sauce, but I don't think I could
> quantify it to my own satisfaction, much less to anyone else's. :-)
> I keep both on hand for different uses.
>
> I especially like to use dry chipotles along with other dried chiles
> (anchos, New Mexico) to get that smoky taste in red chile for
> enchiladas or for chili con carne. I'll use the canned ones mostly
> when I'm braising chicken or lamb (birria.)
>
> Somehow, I don't think I've answered you question very clearly. I
> guess the easiest thing to do would be to try them both ways yourself
> and see what you think.
>
> David

I know exactly what you mean, but don't think I can explain it better. I
prefer the dried chipotle over the canned in adobo as I think you get the
unmasked chipotle flavor.

Jack

David Wright

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:08:45 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>I know exactly what you mean, but don't think I can explain it better. I
>prefer the dried chipotle over the canned in adobo as I think you get the
>unmasked chipotle flavor.
>
>Jack

Forgot to mention before that my favorite way to eat canned-in-adobo
chipotles is to munch 'em right out of the can.

David

Thurman

David Wright wrote:

> Forgot to mention before that my favorite way to eat canned-in-adobo
> chipotles is to munch 'em right out of the can.

Some of our guys could use you in Iraq!

Jack Sloan

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
om...

> "David Wright" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:52:26 -0700, "Aria" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I have only purchased the kind in a jar in a sauce. Do fresh ones taste

> much
> > >different??

> > "Fresh" chipotles really means smoked and dried jalapeños. Like all
> > dried chiles, part of the final taste depends on what they were like
> > before being smoked.
> >
> > There's a different taste and texture between the dry and canned
> > chipotles because of the adobo sauce, but I don't think I could
> > quantify it to my own satisfaction, much less to anyone else's. :-)
> > I keep both on hand for different uses.
> >
> > I especially like to use dry chipotles along with other dried chiles
> > (anchos, New Mexico) to get that smoky taste in red chile for
> > enchiladas or for chili con carne. I'll use the canned ones mostly
> > when I'm braising chicken or lamb (birria.)
> >
> > Somehow, I don't think I've answered you question very clearly. I
> > guess the easiest thing to do would be to try them both ways yourself
> > and see what you think.
> >
> > David

> I know exactly what you mean, but don't think I can explain it better. I
> prefer the dried chipotle over the canned in adobo as I think you get the
> unmasked chipotle flavor.
>
> Jack

Jack, don't they have fresh habaneros in the grocery store up there?
Jack

Jack Schidt®

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> Jack, don't they have fresh habaneros in the grocery store up there?
> Jack

Of course they do, amigo! What's that got to do with chipotles?

Jack