Old 06-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Jack Schidt«

Default storing chipotles?

"David Wright" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:52:26 -0700, "Aria"
wrote:

I have only purchased the kind in a jar in a sauce. Do fresh ones taste

much
different??

"Fresh" chipotles really means smoked and dried jalape˝os. Like all
dried chiles, part of the final taste depends on what they were like
before being smoked.

There's a different taste and texture between the dry and canned
chipotles because of the adobo sauce, but I don't think I could
quantify it to my own satisfaction, much less to anyone else's. :-)
I keep both on hand for different uses.

I especially like to use dry chipotles along with other dried chiles
(anchos, New Mexico) to get that smoky taste in red chile for
enchiladas or for chili con carne. I'll use the canned ones mostly
when I'm braising chicken or lamb (birria.)

Somehow, I don't think I've answered you question very clearly. I
guess the easiest thing to do would be to try them both ways yourself
and see what you think.

David

I know exactly what you mean, but don't think I can explain it better. I
prefer the dried chipotle over the canned in adobo as I think you get the
unmasked chipotle flavor.

Jack