Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Report on Home made Mexican vanilla

After my posts and questions about buying vanilla from Mexico ( ordering
from EBay/Amazon etc. and questions of comarin/additives etc. ) and
suggestions on using real Mexican vanilla beans and making my own, I was
lucky to have some relatives bring me home some vanilla beans.

I had clear 500 ml old glass vanilla bottle and adapted some home made
vanilla Net recipes - filled it with good quality rum ( all I had on
hand ) , added about 1/4 cup light corn syrup, and 4 large beans split and
seeds scraped, placed it a cool dark place and shook it everyday. Its only
been 3 months or so but the fragrance now is definitely fragrant vanilla
and an undertone of alcohol. I used it in baking with excellent results
and I plan to age it more. It's definitely far superior to the super market
brands of vanilla and even better then Rain's Mexican Vanilla I had also
ordered. Just my opinions on the subject.

Another relative is again bringing me back some Mexican vanilla beans and
I plan to start another bottle of home brewed vanilla.

thanks again

Joan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge wrote:
> After my posts and questions about buying vanilla from Mexico ( ordering
> from EBay/Amazon etc. and questions of comarin/additives etc. ) and
> suggestions on using real Mexican vanilla beans and making my own, I was
> lucky to have some relatives bring me home some vanilla beans.
>
> I had clear 500 ml old glass vanilla bottle and adapted some home made
> vanilla Net recipes - filled it with good quality rum ( all I had on
> hand ) , added about 1/4 cup light corn syrup, and 4 large beans split and
> seeds scraped, placed it a cool dark place and shook it everyday. Its only
> been 3 months or so but the fragrance now is definitely fragrant vanilla
> and an undertone of alcohol. I used it in baking with excellent results
> and I plan to age it more. It's definitely far superior to the super market
> brands of vanilla and even better then Rain's Mexican Vanilla I had also
> ordered. Just my opinions on the subject.
>
> Another relative is again bringing me back some Mexican vanilla beans and
> I plan to start another bottle of home brewed vanilla.
>
> thanks again
>
> Joan

You can also make home made Kaluha coffee liquor using cheap vodka
coffee and some sugar. If interested I will get the recipe from a
girlfriend of mine. She makes this stuff every holiday season. Great for
the occasional Caucasian or on Ice Cream.

Mexican Vanilla Rhonda Mexican Cooking 6 25-09-2006 01:08 AM
100% mexican vanilla la vencedora vanillaman Restaurants 0 10-01-2006 11:00 PM
Mexican Vanilla Carol L Baking 22 30-04-2005 01:24 AM
mexican vanilla [email protected] Baking 17 12-06-2004 08:31 AM
mexican vanilla [email protected] Baking 2 08-06-2004 07:59 PM