Carol L

Default Mexican Vanilla

Does anyone know anything about this type? My daughter is going to Mexico
and was thinking about bringing some back. Is it worth it? What is the
quality like? Thanks in advance,
Carol

Scott

In article >,
"Carol L" > wrote:

> Does anyone know anything about this type? My daughter is going to Mexico
> and was thinking about bringing some back. Is it worth it? What is the
> quality like? Thanks in advance,

The cheap Mexican vanilla is often courmarin (or vanilla doped with
courmarin), an extract of the tonka bean, and is toxic.

See he

<http://www.straightdope.com/columns/011207.html>

"Most of the vanilla sold in Mexico is synthetic, though it doesn't all
have coumarin in it. Telltale signs of the fake stuff: clear, or dark
and murky (the real stuff is amber colored and translucent), low alcohol
content (genuine vanilla extract contains at least 35% ethyl alcohol),
laughably low price. Pure Mexican vanilla is available, but you're
better off getting it in this country. Warning: it won't be cheap."

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 28 Apr 2005 06:41:41a, Carol L wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Does anyone know anything about this type? My daughter is going to Mexico
> and was thinking about bringing some back. Is it worth it? What is the
> quality like? Thanks in advance,
> Carol

That depends. Check this out.

http://www.icdc.com/~vanilla/vanilla.htm

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
FREECYCLE MOM

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 28 Apr 2005 06:41:41a, Carol L wrote in rec.food.baking:
>
>> Does anyone know anything about this type? My daughter is going to
>> Mexico
>> and was thinking about bringing some back. Is it worth it? What
>> is the
>> quality like? Thanks in advance,
>> Carol

> That depends. Check this out.
>
> http://www.icdc.com/~vanilla/vanilla.htm

This Portion of our site is under construction

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 28 Apr 2005 09:38:01a, FREECYCLE MOM wrote in rec.food.baking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Thu 28 Apr 2005 06:41:41a, Carol L wrote in rec.food.baking:
>>
>>> Does anyone know anything about this type? My daughter is going to
>>> Mexico
>>> and was thinking about bringing some back. Is it worth it? What
>>> is the
>>> quality like? Thanks in advance,
>>> Carol

>> That depends. Check this out.
>>
>> http://www.icdc.com/~vanilla/vanilla.htm
>>

> This Portion of our site is under construction

Sorry, it wasn't when I saw the page.

Perhaps this will do...

http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia2807.html

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Carol L

I knew I had read something about this awhile back. I needed my memory
refreshed and you all have been very helpful. Thank you once again. Carol

"Carol L" wrote
> Does anyone know anything about this type?

FREECYCLE MOM

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 28 Apr 2005 09:38:01a, FREECYCLE MOM wrote in
> rec.food.baking:

>>> That depends. Check this out.
>>>
>>> http://www.icdc.com/~vanilla/vanilla.htm
>>>

>> This Portion of our site is under construction

> Sorry, it wasn't when I saw the page.
>
> Perhaps this will do...
>
> http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia2807.html
>
> --

Thanks. I just checked the bottle my parents gave me and it is on the
list. I'm discarding it.

jimmyjames

I promise you, If there is a substance, and it is consumed, There are
websites that will make sure that you know there is something wrong with it.
My experiance is been a very pleasant one...with Mexican vanilla... I bought
a bottle about 2 yr. ago and am just now running out. It's contents show
"Los mejores concentrados extraidos del elotes de vanilla" A 900 mil.
Bottle cost me about $3.00! It's as good as any!
Ah'mona git s'more soon's I can get down south of the borde...
..
"Carol L" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know anything about this type? My daughter is going to Mexico
> and was thinking about bringing some back. Is it worth it? What is the
> quality like? Thanks in advance,
> Carol

jimmyjames

Oh Yea... It's not on the list..."El Tampiqueno"
"jimmyjames" > wrote in message
k.net...
> I promise you, If there is a substance, and it is consumed, There are
> websites that will make sure that you know there is something wrong with

it.
> My experiance is been a very pleasant one...with Mexican vanilla... I

bought
> a bottle about 2 yr. ago and am just now running out. It's contents show
> "Los mejores concentrados extraidos del elotes de vanilla" A 900 mil.
> Bottle cost me about $3.00! It's as good as any!
> Ah'mona git s'more soon's I can get down south of the borde...
> .
> "Carol L" > wrote in message
> > Does anyone know anything about this type? My daughter is going to

Mexico
> > and was thinking about bringing some back. Is it worth it? What is the
> > quality like? Thanks in advance,
> > Carol

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 28 Apr 2005 12:46:10p, jimmyjames wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Oh Yea... It's not on the list..."El Tampiqueno"

That's the point after all, isn't it?

Enjoy it!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Jenn Ridley

"jimmyjames" > wrote:

>I promise you, If there is a substance, and it is consumed, There are
>websites that will make sure that you know there is something wrong with it.

Well, coumarin is not something that one would want to consume without
previous knowledge. It's an anticoagulant (blood won't clot), and can
cause liver trouble. It was banned as a food additive in the 1940's.
If you're already on an anticoagulant, taking more is bad.

True vanilla bean vanilla doesn't have coumarin in it. Tonka bean
'vanilla' does. Most Mexican 'vanilla' is made from Tonka beans.

--
Jenn Ridley :
Roy

If she bought the vanilla bean it is certain that is good whether its
mexican , tahitian , madagascar, etc.
But beware of vanill extracts bought from mexico,you never know if its
adulterated as the food laws there may not be as strict compared to
the US.
Roy

FREECYCLE MOM

"Roy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> If she bought the vanilla bean it is certain that is good whether
> its
> mexican , tahitian , madagascar, etc.
> But beware of vanill extracts bought from mexico,you never know if
> its
> adulterated as the food laws there may not be as strict compared
> the US.
> Roy

I've thrown out the Juan Miguel Anazaldula
Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas
Mexico
FEI #3001655129

because it was on the list. What about vanilla from the dominican
republic? Does it have the same problems? I have a full bottle of
that bought for $12 by my son for me.

Helen

Ginny Sher

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:41:41 -0400, "Carol L" >
wrote:

>Does anyone know anything about this type? My daughter is going to Mexico
>and was thinking about bringing some back. Is it worth it? What is the
>quality like? Thanks in advance,
>Carol

I was recently in Mexico and bought my second bottle of vanilla there.
I also bought several bottles as gifts. It is sold all over (Cozumel)
and I suspect other areas too. There seem to be different
brands/grades. I bought vanilla from a very reputable store and I paid
more because of the brand, I'm sure. However, I felt the store stood
behind the quality of it's merchandise so it was worth the extra
money. FWIW, the bottle(s) I bought specifically state they do NOT
contain coumarin. The ingredients list is as follows:

water
alcohol
pure vanilla extract
vanillin

Maybe some of you who are more knowledgeable will tell me it's fake,
it's of poor quality or whatever... I happen to like it and have been
satisfied with it in the past. That's my story and I'm sticking to
it.

Ginny
Vox Humana

"Ginny Sher" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:41:41 -0400, "Carol L" >
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know anything about this type? My daughter is going to

Mexico
> >and was thinking about bringing some back. Is it worth it? What is the
> >quality like? Thanks in advance,
> >Carol
> >

> I was recently in Mexico and bought my second bottle of vanilla there.
> I also bought several bottles as gifts. It is sold all over (Cozumel)
> and I suspect other areas too. There seem to be different
> brands/grades. I bought vanilla from a very reputable store and I paid
> more because of the brand, I'm sure. However, I felt the store stood
> behind the quality of it's merchandise so it was worth the extra
> money. FWIW, the bottle(s) I bought specifically state they do NOT
> contain coumarin. The ingredients list is as follows:
>
> water
> alcohol
> pure vanilla extract
> vanillin
>
> Maybe some of you who are more knowledgeable will tell me it's fake,
> it's of poor quality or whatever... I happen to like it and have been
> satisfied with it in the past. That's my story and I'm sticking to
> it.

Vanillin is artificial vanilla flavoring. If it was good stuff, it wouldn't
have contained synthetic flavoring.

Mike Avery

Vox Humana wrote:

> Vanillin is artificial vanilla flavoring. If it was good stuff, it
> wouldn't
>
>have contained synthetic flavoring.

On the other hand, there was the test Cook's Illustrated did a while
back where they preferred synthetic vanilla to the real stuff.

Mike

Vox Humana

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message
news:mailman.17.1114727309.62257.rec.food.baking@m ail.otherwhen.com...
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > Vanillin is artificial vanilla flavoring. If it was good stuff, it
> > wouldn't
> >
> >have contained synthetic flavoring.
> >

> On the other hand, there was the test Cook's Illustrated did a while
> back where they preferred synthetic vanilla to the real stuff.

They preferred it for things that were baked. I use artificial in baked
good and find no issue with the flavor. However, I only pay a couple
dollars for a pint at Costco. I wasn't under the impression that it was
"special" Mexican vanilla made from vanilla beans.

Mike Avery

Vox Humana wrote:

>They preferred it for things that were baked. I use artificial in baked
>good and find no issue with the flavor. However, I only pay a couple
>dollars for a pint at Costco. I wasn't under the impression that it was
>"special" Mexican vanilla made from vanilla beans.

True.. when you're paying for the good stuff, you should get it. Not an
artificial one. We paid about $4.00 a gallon for the artificial stuff
when we were running the bakery. Vanillin is very cheap stuff.

There are those who feel that a good Mexican vanilla is among the best
in the world. Some people, if memory serves, feel vanilla originated in
Mexico. However, that leaves Madagascar as a big question....

Mike, a vanilla agnostic

Wendy

I am new to this list. This discussion was recently on another list group
I am part of. I have a few customers who travel to Mexico and bring me back
vanilla. I'm told it is very good, though the best I've used was from Sri
Lanka. I understand in the past there has been some trouble with vanilla
from Mexico but due to improvements in labelling, that is changing. It is
important to buy vanilla that states clearly it has no coumarin. Some also
has corn syrup but that is not harmful.
With the list of ingredients below, you are fine, though as I recall my
most recent gift didn't have the vanillan. I'll try to check the bottle
upstairs or at the store. Whatever you pay in Mexico is cheaper than what
you will pay north of that border and certainly what I pay in Ontario.
Wendy
> > On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:41:41 -0400, "Carol L" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Does anyone know anything about this type? My daughter is going to

> Mexico
> > >and was thinking about bringing some back. Is it worth it? What is

the
> > >quality like? Thanks in advance,
> > >Carol
> > >

> > I was recently in Mexico and bought my second bottle of vanilla there.
> > I also bought several bottles as gifts. It is sold all over (Cozumel)
> > and I suspect other areas too. There seem to be different
> > brands/grades. I bought vanilla from a very reputable store and I paid
> > more because of the brand, I'm sure. However, I felt the store stood
> > behind the quality of it's merchandise so it was worth the extra
> > money. FWIW, the bottle(s) I bought specifically state they do NOT
> > contain coumarin. The ingredients list is as follows:
> >
> > water
> > alcohol
> > pure vanilla extract
> > vanillin
> >
> > Maybe some of you who are more knowledgeable will tell me it's fake,
> > it's of poor quality or whatever... I happen to like it and have been
> > satisfied with it in the past. That's my story and I'm sticking to
> > it.

> Vanillin is artificial vanilla flavoring. If it was good stuff, it

wouldn't
> have contained synthetic flavoring.

http://www.otherwhen.com/mailman/lis...ec.food.baking

Vox Humana

"Wendy" > wrote in message
news:mailman.21.1114743384.62257.rec.food.baking@m ail.otherwhen.com...
> I am new to this list. This discussion was recently on another list

group
> I am part of. I have a few customers who travel to Mexico and bring me

back
> vanilla. I'm told it is very good, though the best I've used was from Sri
> Lanka. I understand in the past there has been some trouble with vanilla
> from Mexico but due to improvements in labelling, that is changing. It is
> important to buy vanilla that states clearly it has no coumarin. Some

also
> has corn syrup but that is not harmful.
> With the list of ingredients below, you are fine, though as I recall my
> most recent gift didn't have the vanillan. I'll try to check the bottle
> upstairs or at the store. Whatever you pay in Mexico is cheaper than what
> you will pay north of that border and certainly what I pay in Ontario.

I find it hard to tell from the list of ingredients if it worth the money
and hassle. If it is 80% artificial flavor and water - why bother? I agree
that none of the ingredients is harmful, but I have to question the value.

Vox Humana

"Wendy" > wrote in message
news:mailman.21.1114743384.62257.rec.food.baking@m ail.otherwhen.com...
> I am new to this list. This discussion was recently on another list

group
> I am part of. I have a few customers who travel to Mexico and bring me

back
> vanilla. I'm told it is very good, though the best I've used was from Sri
> Lanka. I understand in the past there has been some trouble with vanilla
> from Mexico but due to improvements in labelling, that is changing. It is
> important to buy vanilla that states clearly it has no coumarin. Some

also
> has corn syrup but that is not harmful.
> With the list of ingredients below, you are fine, though as I recall my
> most recent gift didn't have the vanillan. I'll try to check the bottle
> upstairs or at the store. Whatever you pay in Mexico is cheaper than what
> you will pay north of that border and certainly what I pay in Ontario.

I find it hard to tell from the list of ingredients if it worth the money
and hassle. If it is 80% artificial flavor and water - why bother? I agree
that none of the ingredients is harmful, but I have to question the value.

Ginny Sher

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:18:15 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>"Wendy" > wrote in message
>news:mailman.21.1114743384.62257.rec.food.baking@ mail.otherwhen.com...
>> I am new to this list. This discussion was recently on another list

>group
>> I am part of. I have a few customers who travel to Mexico and bring me

>back
>> vanilla. I'm told it is very good, though the best I've used was from Sri
>> Lanka. I understand in the past there has been some trouble with vanilla
>> from Mexico but due to improvements in labelling, that is changing. It is
>> important to buy vanilla that states clearly it has no coumarin. Some

>also
>> has corn syrup but that is not harmful.
>> With the list of ingredients below, you are fine, though as I recall my
>> most recent gift didn't have the vanillan. I'll try to check the bottle
>> upstairs or at the store. Whatever you pay in Mexico is cheaper than what
>> you will pay north of that border and certainly what I pay in Ontario.

>I find it hard to tell from the list of ingredients if it worth the money
>and hassle. If it is 80% artificial flavor and water - why bother? I agree
>that none of the ingredients is harmful, but I have to question the value.

You're right in that you can't tell the percentage of the actual
ingredients. I think the cost in Mexico is quite reasonable, even
compared to imitation vanilla. As for hassle, I didn't find it a
problem to buy it in Mexico as I was already there on vacation.
YMMV

Ginny

Ginny Sher

wrote:

>"Wendy" > wrote in message
>news:mailman.21.1114743384.62257.rec.food.baking@ mail.otherwhen.com...
>> I am new to this list. This discussion was recently on another list

>group
>> I am part of. I have a few customers who travel to Mexico and bring me

>back
>> vanilla. I'm told it is very good, though the best I've used was from Sri
>> Lanka. I understand in the past there has been some trouble with vanilla
>> from Mexico but due to improvements in labelling, that is changing. It is
>> important to buy vanilla that states clearly it has no coumarin. Some

>also
>> has corn syrup but that is not harmful.
>> With the list of ingredients below, you are fine, though as I recall my
>> most recent gift didn't have the vanillan. I'll try to check the bottle
>> upstairs or at the store. Whatever you pay in Mexico is cheaper than what
>> you will pay north of that border and certainly what I pay in Ontario.

>I find it hard to tell from the list of ingredients if it worth the money
>and hassle. If it is 80% artificial flavor and water - why bother? I agree
>that none of the ingredients is harmful, but I have to question the value.

You're right in that you can't tell the percentage of the actual
ingredients. I think the cost in Mexico is quite reasonable, even
compared to imitation vanilla. As for hassle, I didn't find it a
problem to buy it in Mexico as I was already there on vacation.
YMMV

Ginny

Questions about Mexican Vanilla Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge Mexican Cooking 7 08-03-2007 07:17 PM
Mexican Vanilla Rhonda Mexican Cooking 6 25-09-2006 01:08 AM
100% mexican vanilla la vencedora vanillaman Mexican Cooking 13 16-01-2006 02:28 PM
mexican vanilla [email protected] Baking 17 12-06-2004 08:31 AM
mexican vanilla [email protected] Baking 2 08-06-2004 07:59 PM