Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Recipe: Tacos de Tejas

A recipe for GG's archives

1 lb of ground beef, turkey or chicken
1 pkg Old El Paso Seasoning
1 pkg Old El Paso Stand 'n Stuff Taco Shells
1/2 head of Iceberg Lettuce shredded
1 Ripe Red Tomato diced
6oz of Imitation Shredded Cheese

Brown meat in large skillet, drain fat and add package of taco seasoning
with a half cup of water. Simmer till sticky and disgusting.

Spoon meat filling into the self standing taco shells. top with fresh
lettuce, red tomatoes and imitation shredded cheese.

Serve with refried beans. (Open can of Old El Paso Refried Beans and
microwave for 1:30.)

For added spice serve Old El Paso Red Taco Sauce over the top to get the
endorphines running.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 12, 3:11 pm, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> A recipe for GG's archives

<really funny "recipe" cut>

> For added spice serve Old El Paso Red Taco Sauce over the top to get the
> endorphines running.

Don't forget, there'll be lycopenes, too. Heh!

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

That's about the equivalent of what they serve here in New Mexico, and
try to pass for "mexican" food. In fact your recipe is better than the
shit they sell here. No wonder half the town eats at Taco Bell.

Why is it, that the no nots here think that this is "good" mexican
food? I think I need to export some real "mexicans" from Chicago to New
Mexico! Sure Green Chili Stew is good, but is that all they know here,
beside ground beef, and brisket? Mark

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Mark D wrote:
> That's about the equivalent of what they serve here in New Mexico, and
> try to pass for "mexican" food. In fact your recipe is better than the
> shit they sell here. No wonder half the town eats at Taco Bell.
>
> Why is it, that the no nots here think that this is "good" mexican
> food? I think I need to export some real "mexicans" from Chicago to New
> Mexico! Sure Green Chili Stew is good, but is that all they know here,
> beside ground beef, and brisket? Mark

My aunt is from Santa Fe and she cooks up food that is more home cooked
American than anything else. As you say lots of stews, Chili Colorado
etc. She does take great care in cutting up her stew. Each chunk is
meticulously cut into a small squares. It seems anal to go to so much
trouble but the mouth feel is excellent and I guess the meat soaks up
more gravy that way.

I have never dined in New Mexico but have cooked with New Mexicans and
they do like their fire. Phoenix has a small chain that is called Arriba
that is very good. They called it Andale for a while but gringos
couldn't pronounce it so they changed the name to Arriba. Their food is
rated by heat units on the menu. Their hotter items are delicious and
gives a chili head good pleasure for the buck.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 20, 8:50 pm, (Mark D) wrote:
> That's about the equivalent of what they serve here in New Mexico, and
> try to pass for "mexican" food. In fact your recipe is better than the
> shit they sell here. No wonder half the town eats at Taco Bell.
>
> Why is it, that the no nots here think that this is "good" mexican
> food? I think I need to export some real "mexicans" from Chicago to New
> Mexico! Sure Green Chili Stew is good, but is that all they know here,
> beside ground beef, and brisket? Mark

You haven't said where you live in New Mexico, but maybe you haven't
been there long enough to discover Northern New Mexico cooking.
There's a long-time mix of Hispanic, Pueblo, and Anglo influences at
work, and for some people it takes some getting used to.

I think of it as a distinctive regional variation, just as the cooking
in Veracruz is distinctive from the cooking in Oaxaca, to give just
one example. Please let us know what you mean by "good" Mexican food.

Just as there's no one such thing as "Italian" or "French" or "German"
cooking, there's no one such thing as "Mexican" cooking.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

dtwright37 wrote:

> I think of it as a distinctive regional variation, just as the cooking
> in Veracruz is distinctive from the cooking in Oaxaca, to give just
> one example. Please let us know what you mean by "good" Mexican food.
>
> Just as there's no one such thing as "Italian" or "French" or "German"
> cooking, there's no one such thing as "Mexican" cooking.
>
> David

Good Point, New Mexico still has cultural regions.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 27, 9:18 pm, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> dtwright37 wrote:
> > I think of it as a distinctive regional variation, just as the cooking
> > in Veracruz is distinctive from the cooking in Oaxaca, to give just
> > one example. Please let us know what you mean by "good" Mexican food.

> > Just as there's no one such thing as "Italian" or "French" or "German"
> > cooking, there's no one such thing as "Mexican" cooking.

> > David

> Good Point, New Mexico still has cultural regions.

You're so right. Try finding the same NM food in Portales or Roswell,
for example, that's common in Española. Hard to do, if not impossible.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"dtwright37" > wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 27, 9:18 pm, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> dtwright37 wrote:
> > I think of it as a distinctive regional variation, just as the cooking
> > in Veracruz is distinctive from the cooking in Oaxaca, to give just
> > one example. Please let us know what you mean by "good" Mexican food.

> > Just as there's no one such thing as "Italian" or "French" or "German"
> > cooking, there's no one such thing as "Mexican" cooking.

> > David

> Good Point, New Mexico still has cultural regions.

You're so right. Try finding the same NM food in Portales or Roswell,
for example, that's common in Española. Hard to do, if not impossible.

NM remains my favorite Western State.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 28, 3:57 pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
> "dtwright37" > wrote in message

> NM remains my favorite Western State.

Mine, too.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sorry folks that I had failed to follow up, and explain what part of NM
I live.

I live in Alamogordo, which as many here know is southern NM, and has to
be one of the worst "larger" towns in NM for food (of any kind!)

I don't know why it is, but one place I recently visited here called
Carolinas, had good tasting food. Thier Chile Colorado (Meat+Potatoes in
red sauce) tasted good, yet, for $5.99 for the dinner, there was only
two little cubes of meat, the rest was potatoes, and with the meal comes
two Corn Tortillas. Two extra Tortillas will cost you another 75 cents!

The meal was so small, I figured I'd be easily spending $20 to leave
content, so for being so stingy with thier servings, very unlikely I'll
ever be patronizing this place again.

At another place in town called Marias, I one day had what was
supposedly called a Steak Burrito, which was nothing but nasty fat, and
gristle. So nasty, I had to spit half of it out.
This is what restaurants here choose to serve people. Basically, this
doesn't even fall under "Mexican Food", but rather IMO "Dog Food" in
Alamogordo, NM.

Sure, I'd assume much better quality in food in places like Santa
Fe/Albuquerque, and in fact, I've had better food in Juarez Mexico the
few times I've been there.

Coming from Chicago, Ill, I enjoyed much better quality of mexican fare,
from places like El Milagro, Nuevo Leon, and even the chain Restaurant
"Pepe's"!

Honestly, Pepe's was certainly not the place for what one would call the
best in Mexican food, but in truth, Pepe's easily bests many of the
Mexican eateries I've sampled here in NM.

At least I could walk into a Pepe's, and order a decent Carne Asada
Steak Dinner, with all the trimmings. Here, the majority of places won't
even serve such fare, as they'd probably have to charge $15-$17 for the
dinner, and anybody who lives here would not be willing to spend this
sort of money, and get some horrible nasty shriveled up Steak in return.

Sadly, many places in NM, such as Alamogordo continually fail to come
out of the Stone Age. People here basically have no appreciation for
quality food, and would rather spend thier dollars at Taco Bell, and
Dominos Pizza. Mark

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Apr 9, 12:36 am, (Mark D) wrote:
> Sorry folks that I had failed to follow up, and explain what part of NM
> I live.
>
> I live in Alamogordo, which as many here know is southern NM, and has to
> be one of the worst "larger" towns in NM for food (of any kind!)

<big rant snipped>

Mark,

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Alamogordo is still a military/
government town, as it has been for a long, long time. Military towns
are not known for good eats. (Don't look for good food in Los Alamos,
either.)

Please don't judge New Mexico cuisine by what you can or can't find in
Alamogordo.

You could, you know, learn to cook NM for yourself, after a trip or
two to sample the good food in Albuquerque or Santa Fe or Española or
Taos. Or, just drop down to Las Cruces and find out where the locals
eat.

You can do better than just whining to us about the fast food places
that exist where you happen to have taken a job.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Mark D wrote:
> Sorry folks that I had failed to follow up, and explain what part of NM
> I live.
>
> Sure, I'd assume much better quality in food in places like Santa
> Fe/Albuquerque, and in fact, I've had better food in Juarez Mexico the
> few times I've been there.

Its hard to compare a small military town in the middle of nowhere with
a thriving city like Juarez. The reason you had better food in Juarez is
because you were in Mexico! People who have a prejudice to border food
probably haven't even spent the time to explore a border town for what
it may have to offer. All major border towns vary in fare from a simple
street vendors to fine upscale dining. You just need to ask around.

What is the Recipe for Del Tacos green Sauce ? j Sigrist Mexican Cooking 0 16-03-2014 09:39 PM
Mexican Tacos Recipe Laszlo Varga General Cooking 5 02-08-2012 03:11 AM
Baja Fish Tacos Recipe Ablang Recipes 3 13-04-2010 09:32 AM
Recipe for Baja Fish Tacos Ablang General Cooking 2 11-07-2008 07:26 PM
Recipe Catsup Tacos Sonia General Cooking 3 30-06-2008 05:21 PM