Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Questions about Mexican Vanilla

After reading as much as I can about Mexican vanilla, I have come to
believe that it is probably best to avoid it. Many bottles are sold on
EBay ( Molina and Danncy brands for example ) touted as pure vanilla and
without coumarin or dye. I also read that anything clear like Danncy is most
likely synthetic/ w tonka bean , and no ingredients are listed on the
label. Or the dark Danncy is just caramel color added to clear synthetic
stuff.

So from my understanding most Mexican vanillas are not to be trusted since
there are no government regulations. Supposedly brands such as Nielson
/Massey brand of Mexican vanilla are coumarin free but the vanilla is
not offered retail on the Net and only found in selected stores.

Those of you who travel or live in Mexico, could you add some light on this
subject concerning Mexican vanilla .?

There is a little Mexican store in town and they sell Molina original. I
bought it and not impressed. Someone gave me some clear Danncy vanilla a
while back , a wonderful aroma but I am afraid to use it.

Another person on the Net once sent me a brand called XIAME he bought a
local Mexican bakery. .It is a dark vanilla with ingredients listed . I
really liked that but lost touch with the person and don't know if that is
high quality BUT after looking on an old FDA list on the Net, I saw that
it plus Danncy was listed as having Coumarin in it so I stopped using it.

So my questions a

Is there any top quality pure Mexican vanilla offered to the public with out
coumarin /dye in it!?
If so where can someone easily purchase it retail ?
Or should I just forget about Mexiacan vanilla ?

thanks

Joan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Joan, I know this does not answer your question, but the only vanilla
I have seen used by my coking friends in Mexico is the real thing --
the actual bean.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jan 28, 7:41 am, "Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge"
> wrote:
> After reading as much as I can about Mexican vanilla, I have come to
> believe that it is probably best to avoid it. Many bottles are sold on
> EBay ( Molina and Danncy brands for example ) touted as pure vanilla and
> without coumarin or dye. ...

Joan,

Following up on Rolly's comment, I'll mention that I also use Mexican
vanilla beans, and I haven't used extract in several years. I buy mine
online from one of the big spice vendors. Three beans for $5+ sounds
expensive, but in many cases they can be reused, and you don't always
have to use a whole bean.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:41:02 GMT, "Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge"
> wrote:

>After reading as much as I can about Mexican vanilla, I have come to
>believe that it is probably best to avoid it. Many bottles are sold on
>EBay ( Molina and Danncy brands for example ) touted as pure vanilla and
>without coumarin or dye. I also read that anything clear like Danncy is most
>likely synthetic/ w tonka bean , and no ingredients are listed on the
>label. Or the dark Danncy is just caramel color added to clear synthetic
>stuff.
>
>So from my understanding most Mexican vanillas are not to be trusted since
>there are no government regulations. Supposedly brands such as Nielson
>/Massey brand of Mexican vanilla are coumarin free but the vanilla is
>not offered retail on the Net and only found in selected stores.
>
>Those of you who travel or live in Mexico, could you add some light on this
>subject concerning Mexican vanilla .?
>
>There is a little Mexican store in town and they sell Molina original. I
>bought it and not impressed. Someone gave me some clear Danncy vanilla a
>while back , a wonderful aroma but I am afraid to use it.
>
>Another person on the Net once sent me a brand called XIAME he bought a
>local Mexican bakery. .It is a dark vanilla with ingredients listed . I
>really liked that but lost touch with the person and don't know if that is
>high quality BUT after looking on an old FDA list on the Net, I saw that
>it plus Danncy was listed as having Coumarin in it so I stopped using it.
>
>So my questions a
>
>Is there any top quality pure Mexican vanilla offered to the public with out
>coumarin /dye in it!?
>If so where can someone easily purchase it retail ?
>Or should I just forget about Mexiacan vanilla ?
>
>thanks
>
>Joan

Just a lurker here....

But I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Try looking for Palapa
Contains no Coumarine
Ingredients: Water, Sugar, Carmel color and vanila Flavor
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

wildbill wrote:

> But I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before.
>
> Try looking for Palapa
> Contains no Coumarine
> Ingredients: Water, Sugar, Carmel color and vanila Flavor

If it is vanilla flavor then it's not vanilla, am I wrong?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 20:06:31 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> wrote:

>wildbill wrote:
>
>> But I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before.
>>
>> Try looking for Palapa
>> Contains no Coumarine
>> Ingredients: Water, Sugar, Carmel color and vanila Flavor

>If it is vanilla flavor then it's not vanilla, am I wrong?

Dude:

Just repeating whats on the bottle......
Front of label says.........

Pura
Palapa
Concentrado de
Vainilla.......yes thats the way it is spelled on the bottle
Hecho en...Made in Mexico
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On 4 Feb, 08:07, wildbill > wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 20:06:31 -0700, Sonoran Dude
>
> > wrote:
> >wildbill wrote:

> >> But I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before.

> >> Try looking for Palapa
> >> Contains no Coumarine
> >> Ingredients: Water, Sugar, Carmel color and vanila Flavor

> >If it is vanilla flavor then it's not vanilla, am I wrong?

> Dude:
>
> Just repeating whats on the bottle......
> Front of label says.........
>
> Pura
> Palapa
> Concentrado de
> Vainilla.......yes thats the way it is spelled on the bottle
> Hecho en...Made in Mexico

First time posting ever, but I have 2 bottles of Xiame and it states
Coumarin free. Should I trust it because it's a gift for my mother
who does LOTS of cooking with vanilla

INGREDIENTS: Water, Ethyl Alcohol, Vanilla Pod Natural coloring and
Preservative

I bought it while I was in Mexico ( Puerto Vallarta ) at the airport
"Duty Free". I did not know much about the brand until I googled it
am came across this page. Thanks for any advise

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 8, 1:49 am, wrote:
<stuff>

Just give your mom a few real Mexican vanilla beans and don't worry
about the extracts.

Sheesh,
David

Mexican Vanilla Rhonda Mexican Cooking 6 25-09-2006 01:08 AM
Mexican Vanilla Ice Cream Duckie ® Recipes 0 15-06-2005 04:41 PM
Mexican Vanilla Carol L Baking 22 30-04-2005 01:24 AM
mexican vanilla [email protected] Baking 17 12-06-2004 08:31 AM
mexican vanilla [email protected] Baking 2 08-06-2004 07:59 PM