bogus address

Default coffee making in early modern England

How did the coffee houses of 16th and 17th century England make their
coffee? Was what Daniel Defoe and Dr Johnson drank more like Turkish
or Starbuck's?

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Kate Dicey

bogus address wrote:

> How did the coffee houses of 16th and 17th century England make their
> coffee? Was what Daniel Defoe and Dr Johnson drank more like Turkish
> or Starbuck's?
>
> ========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
> Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
> <http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
> Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

In a jug:

Take a one pint jug and a kettle of boiling water:

Put a couple of tablespoonfuls of freshly ground coffee into the warmed
jug, and pour in the water. Leave to infuse for 5 minutes, give it a
stir, and strain into a warmed serving pot.

It's still one of the best ways to make good coffee, even though it's
more of a skiddle than a filter machine.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Kate Dicey

bogus address wrote:

> How did the coffee houses of 16th and 17th century England make their
> coffee? Was what Daniel Defoe and Dr Johnson drank more like Turkish
> or Starbuck's?
>
> ========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
> Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
> <http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
> Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

In a jug:

Take a one pint jug and a kettle of boiling water:

Put a couple of tablespoonfuls of freshly ground coffee into the warmed
jug, and pour in the water. Leave to infuse for 5 minutes, give it a
stir, and strain into a warmed serving pot.

It's still one of the best ways to make good coffee, even though it's
more of a skiddle than a filter machine.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Opinicus

"Kate Dicey" > wrote

> more of a skiddle than a filter machine.

"Skiddle"?

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Opinicus

"Kate Dicey" > wrote

> more of a skiddle than a filter machine.

"Skiddle"?

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Kate Dicey

Opinicus wrote:

> "Kate Dicey" > wrote
>
>> more of a skiddle than a filter machine.

> "Skiddle"?

Fiddly *and* wet and messy! Like skinning fish...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
bogus address

>> How did the coffee houses of 16th and 17th century England make their
>> coffee? Was what Daniel Defoe and Dr Johnson drank more like Turkish
>> or Starbuck's?

> In a jug:
> Take a one pint jug and a kettle of boiling water:
>
> Put a couple of tablespoonfuls of freshly ground coffee into the warmed
> jug, and pour in the water. Leave to infuse for 5 minutes, give it a
> stir, and strain into a warmed serving pot.

How do you know?

That's how my parents made coffee in the 1950s, but is there a source
describing the same process from 250 years before?

(My parents then went to use a coffee percolator, a technology so crap
you don't even see them in car boot sales any more).

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

bogus address

>> How did the coffee houses of 16th and 17th century England make their
>> coffee? Was what Daniel Defoe and Dr Johnson drank more like Turkish
>> or Starbuck's?

> In a jug:
> Take a one pint jug and a kettle of boiling water:
>
> Put a couple of tablespoonfuls of freshly ground coffee into the warmed
> jug, and pour in the water. Leave to infuse for 5 minutes, give it a
> stir, and strain into a warmed serving pot.

How do you know?

That's how my parents made coffee in the 1950s, but is there a source
describing the same process from 250 years before?

(My parents then went to use a coffee percolator, a technology so crap
you don't even see them in car boot sales any more).

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Kate Dicey

bogus address wrote:

>>>How did the coffee houses of 16th and 17th century England make their
>>>coffee? Was what Daniel Defoe and Dr Johnson drank more like Turkish
>>>or Starbuck's?

>>In a jug:
>>Take a one pint jug and a kettle of boiling water:
>>
>>Put a couple of tablespoonfuls of freshly ground coffee into the warmed
>>jug, and pour in the water. Leave to infuse for 5 minutes, give it a
>>stir, and strain into a warmed serving pot.

> How do you know?

I can't site specific books or diaries, but I *do* remember talking over
the coffee making after the family got a percolator and he stopped
making it the old way, which I prefer. As such conversations with him
did, this meandered down the by-ways of history. He read social history
at Edinburgh in the early 50's, and read lots of diaries of 18th C
politicians and the like at one point. He had a mind like a tape
recorder, and would have made a very good teacher. Reading diaries and
letters about the coffee shop politics and the start of things like
Lloyds of London was par for the course, and diarists and letter writers
twittered on about the quality of the coffee, which houses made the
best, and the best ways of doing it, along with how many mistresses they
indulged in and the price of socks and cabbages, all mixed in with the
politics.

> That's how my parents made coffee in the 1950s, but is there a source
> describing the same process from 250 years before?

Try some old diaries and letters. Household accounts are a good source
for domestic stuff like this. Cooks and housekeepers often saved the
tea leaves and coffee grounds for use below stairs after the Upstairs
folk had used them, or old them on to others...

> (My parents then went to use a coffee percolator, a technology so crap
> you don't even see them in car boot sales any more).

My mum still has hers, and it still works perfectly. I still prefer
Dad's old way, or the filter machine.

> ========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
> Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
> <http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
> Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Kate Dicey

bogus address wrote:

>>>How did the coffee houses of 16th and 17th century England make their
>>>coffee? Was what Daniel Defoe and Dr Johnson drank more like Turkish
>>>or Starbuck's?

>>In a jug:
>>Take a one pint jug and a kettle of boiling water:
>>
>>Put a couple of tablespoonfuls of freshly ground coffee into the warmed
>>jug, and pour in the water. Leave to infuse for 5 minutes, give it a
>>stir, and strain into a warmed serving pot.

> How do you know?

I can't site specific books or diaries, but I *do* remember talking over
the coffee making after the family got a percolator and he stopped
making it the old way, which I prefer. As such conversations with him
did, this meandered down the by-ways of history. He read social history
at Edinburgh in the early 50's, and read lots of diaries of 18th C
politicians and the like at one point. He had a mind like a tape
recorder, and would have made a very good teacher. Reading diaries and
letters about the coffee shop politics and the start of things like
Lloyds of London was par for the course, and diarists and letter writers
twittered on about the quality of the coffee, which houses made the
best, and the best ways of doing it, along with how many mistresses they
indulged in and the price of socks and cabbages, all mixed in with the
politics.

> That's how my parents made coffee in the 1950s, but is there a source
> describing the same process from 250 years before?

Try some old diaries and letters. Household accounts are a good source
for domestic stuff like this. Cooks and housekeepers often saved the
tea leaves and coffee grounds for use below stairs after the Upstairs
folk had used them, or old them on to others...

> (My parents then went to use a coffee percolator, a technology so crap
> you don't even see them in car boot sales any more).

My mum still has hers, and it still works perfectly. I still prefer
Dad's old way, or the filter machine.

> ========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
> Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
> <http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
> Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Arri London

bogus address wrote:

> >> How did the coffee houses of 16th and 17th century England make their
> >> coffee? Was what Daniel Defoe and Dr Johnson drank more like Turkish
> >> or Starbuck's?

> > In a jug:
> > Take a one pint jug and a kettle of boiling water:
> >
> > Put a couple of tablespoonfuls of freshly ground coffee into the warmed
> > jug, and pour in the water. Leave to infuse for 5 minutes, give it a
> > stir, and strain into a warmed serving pot.

> How do you know?
>
> That's how my parents made coffee in the 1950s, but is there a source
> describing the same process from 250 years before?
>
> (My parents then went to use a coffee percolator, a technology so crap
> you don't even see them in car boot sales any more).

Could try he http://www.bramahmuseum.co.uk/coffee/
Arri London

bogus address wrote:

> >> How did the coffee houses of 16th and 17th century England make their
> >> coffee? Was what Daniel Defoe and Dr Johnson drank more like Turkish
> >> or Starbuck's?

> > In a jug:
> > Take a one pint jug and a kettle of boiling water:
> >
> > Put a couple of tablespoonfuls of freshly ground coffee into the warmed
> > jug, and pour in the water. Leave to infuse for 5 minutes, give it a
> > stir, and strain into a warmed serving pot.

> How do you know?
>
> That's how my parents made coffee in the 1950s, but is there a source
> describing the same process from 250 years before?
>
> (My parents then went to use a coffee percolator, a technology so crap
> you don't even see them in car boot sales any more).

Could try he http://www.bramahmuseum.co.uk/coffee/
Opinicus

"David Friedman" > wrote

> I don't think there were any coffee houses in 16th century
> England--as
> best I recall, the first one opened around 1650 or so.

1652
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=66600

See also
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=9018532

Opinicus

"David Friedman" > wrote

> I don't think there were any coffee houses in 16th century
> England--as
> best I recall, the first one opened around 1650 or so.

1652
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=66600

See also
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=9018532

Opinicus

"David Friedman" > wrote

> I don't think there were any coffee houses in 16th century
> England--as
> best I recall, the first one opened around 1650 or so.

1652
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=66600

See also
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=9018532

bogus address

>>> How did the coffee houses of 16th and 17th century England make their
>>> coffee?

>> I don't think there were any coffee houses in 16th century England--as
>> best I recall, the first one opened around 1650 or so.

Off-by-one error...

> 1652
> http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=66600

One of the not-very-austere activities that began under Cromwell's
Protectorate. (Playford's first dance music collection, 1651).

I want the coffee-making toy train on the Bramah Museum site!

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

bogus address

>>> How did the coffee houses of 16th and 17th century England make their
>>> coffee?

>> I don't think there were any coffee houses in 16th century England--as
>> best I recall, the first one opened around 1650 or so.

Off-by-one error...

> 1652
> http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=66600

One of the not-very-austere activities that began under Cromwell's
Protectorate. (Playford's first dance music collection, 1651).

I want the coffee-making toy train on the Bramah Museum site!

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Patrick Porter

Now I'm curious to know how 17th century chocolate was made---the drink
sold at chocolate houses in London. How sweet was it, if at all?

phbp

Patrick Porter