Barry Popik

Default Spa (Boston eatery, 1882 word origin?)

Again, another term that the Dictionary of American Regional English
(now at "Sk") will soon tackle. I just posted this:

It appears that "Thompson's Spa" started the Boston use of the name
"spa."

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS--CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR)("spa" and
"lunch")
Classified Ad 51 -- No Title
Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.: Sep 4,
1909. p. 18 (1 page)
RESTAURANTS
(...)
STUDENTS' SPA
282 HUNTINGTON AVE., BOSTON.
12 1/2% discount meal ticket $3.50; catering a specialty.

Display Ad 27 -- No Title
Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.: May 20,
1911. p. 11 (1 page):
_THOMPSON'S SPA_
_ENDORSES_
_GAS COOKING_
We reproduce a letter from the proprietor of the well-known
restaurant, Thompson's Spa.
(219-230 Washington St.--ed.)

Classified Ad 25 -- No Title
Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.: May 5,
1916. p. 12 (1 page):
Gridley's Chimes Spa
LUNCHEON BAKERY SODA
SPECIAL WEDNESDAY NIGHT SUPPER
Upper Huntington and Massachusetts Avenues
BOSTON

HIGH RESTAURANT PROFITS ALLEGED; Massachusetts Owners and Proprietors
of Eating Places Represent That Price Reductions Are Impossible at
Present Price Investigation New York Housing Committee to In- quire
Into Building Stuffs Hotel Data Sought Federal Campaign to Lower Food
Prices in New York
Specially for The Christian Science Monitor. Christian Science Monitor
(1908. Oct 19, 1920. p. 6 (1 page):
Calling on Malcolm H. Eaton, one of the proprietors of Thompson's Spa,
a high-class lunch, Mr Gallagher cited certain data gathered at this
establishment by his agents.

Two Pies Men Like; Yellow Pie Nut, or Sour-Cream Pie
Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.: Feb 6,
1925. p. 8 (1 page):
The next times the wife shopped in town she obtained an invitation to
lunch wherever that good pie grew, which, it appeared, it did only on
one tiny lunch counter, Sally Jane's Spa.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)("Thompson's spa")
SPA CELEBRATES 50TH ANNIVERSARY
Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.: Sep 14,
1932. p. 2 (1 page):
_SPA CELEBRATES_
_50TH ANNIVERSARY_

Fifty years ago today, a young man with an idea and a little borrowed
cash launched into business in Boston. The idea was to erect a
restaurant in an alley used as a short cut by many business folk to a
lunching place on Washington Street. Thompson's Spa today stands as a
testimonial to the wisdom of its founder, Mr. Charles S. Eaton, whose
three sons have continued to carry on the business with the same
foresight which marked its suscess at the outset.

The stability of the organization is attested in the list of 37
workers who have been with the business for more than 25 years. From
its small beginning, the company has grown to include eight locations
serving 25,000 persons daily. Thompson was the maiden name of the
founder's wife, and "spa," officials of the company explain, is the
name of a town in Belgium famous for its mineral waters.

Famous Thompson's Spa Now Link in the Sheraton Chain; Friendly
Warnings Boston Concern
By Donald O.J. Messenger Staff Writer of The Christian Science
Monitor. Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.:
Apr 17, 1946. p. 5 (1 page):
Ezra S. Eaton, son of Charles Eaton who opened the original
"Thompson's Temperance Spa" in 1882, despite countless friendly
warnings that the venture was doomed from the start unless liquor
could be served, recalled some of the early history of the company, as
told by his father.

Thompson, by the way, was his mother's family name. "Spa" was used
because the original idea was to have on hand every kind of mineral
water bottled at famous American and European Spas, from Poland
Springs to Vichy. Milk shakes and egg-and-milk drinks were soon added.
Later came sandwiches and finally, complete meals.

The founder, Charles Eaton was a Massachusetts Institute of Technology
graduate, and took particular delight in working out the
button-pushing order system, the dumb waiters, the piping of
beverages, and other mechanical details, which along with the strict
"no tipping" rule, have long distinguished Thompson's Spas.
Mark Zanger

There were still a few spas around Boston into the 1980s, I think. There may
be one or three left. The ones that were left were like
drugstore/convenience store places with a lunch counter.

Thompson's was famous, of course, among other things for waitresses trained
to say "bread or butter rolls" to each customer.

One of the odder New England regionalisms I know is the use of "cabinet" for
a milkshake with ice cream in Providence, what we in Boston call a "frappe"
now and then still. I can only guess some kind of relationship to "cabinet
pudding" an old dish which was somewhat like "frozen pudding" ice cream
(French vanilla frozen custard with candied fruits and nuts), which was the
third most popular flavor in New England into the 1960s.

--
-Mark H. Zanger
author, The American History Cookbook, The American Ethnic Cookbook for

"Barry Popik" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]
> "Thompson's Temperance Spa" in 1882, despite countless friendly
> warnings that the venture was doomed from the start unless liquor
> could be served, recalled some of the early history of the company, as
> told by his father.
>
> Thompson, by the way, was his mother's family name. "Spa" was used
> because the original idea was to have on hand every kind of mineral
> water bottled at famous American and European Spas, from Poland
> Springs to Vichy. Milk shakes and egg-and-milk drinks were soon added.
> Later came sandwiches and finally, complete meals.
>
> The founder, Charles Eaton was a Massachusetts Institute of Technology
> graduate, and took particular delight in working out the
> button-pushing order system, the dumb waiters, the piping of
> beverages, and other mechanical details, which along with the strict
> "no tipping" rule, have long distinguished Thompson's Spas.

Mark Zanger