Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Does anyone recall...

an oak recipe box with the name Globe on the front? Maybe your
grandmother had one--or your mother? I just acquired two of them,
obviously from different generations, based on writing and ink.
Clues are recipes for brownies (which would place this at least in
the first decade of the 1900s), cooking over a fire and over
coals.... The older hand also mentioned an oven, but I have no
idea what time range this might have encompassed.

Here is one anomaly from the box with the more-recent recipes. I
can only imagine that this wasn't eaten! It sounds more like some
kind of linament.

Camphor Ice
2 oz. lard or nice mutton tallow, 2 oz. spermacetti, 1 oz. white
wax, 1/2 oz. camphor gum, 1/4 oz. glycerin. Melt all together
with as little heat as possible.

An interesting edible idea, in the older hand, is to put a quarter
of an apple of a piece of banana into the popover pan before you
add the batter.

--
Jean B.

H-E-B recall sf[_9_] General Cooking 7 30-06-2015 07:09 PM
Nut Recall Somebody General Cooking 0 28-10-2012 01:03 PM
RECALL: Pistachios Cheryl[_5_] General Cooking 16 03-04-2009 02:24 AM
RECALL: Pistachios George[_11_] General Cooking 2 31-03-2009 07:02 PM
Another recall Smitty xx General Cooking 25 07-11-2007 01:26 AM