Posted to rec.food.historic

Default candied anchovies

Steve just posted a gut wrenching recipe for turkey set in lime jello.

It reminded me of a series of posts some years ago about hypothetical
but perturbing recipes made from perfectly ordinary ingredients.

I think the winner was chunky strawberry ice cream made from human
breast milk.

In my local Asian food store candied anchovies have appeared in the
section devoted to nibblies.

Is this an exclusively Asian product or does it have a history in
European style cuisine?

Don't ask me what they taste like.
Posted to rec.food.historic,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

Richard Wright wrote in message ...
>Steve just posted a gut wrenching recipe for turkey set in lime jello.
>
>It reminded me of a series of posts some years ago about hypothetical
>but perturbing recipes made from perfectly ordinary ingredients.
>
>I think the winner was chunky strawberry ice cream made from human
>breast milk.
>
>In my local Asian food store candied anchovies have appeared in the
>section devoted to nibblies.
>
>Is this an exclusively Asian product or does it have a history in
>European style cuisine?
>
>Don't ask me what they taste like.

I'm not sure if it's the same thing as what you've seen.
But why would it be all that much different than say chocolate covered
pretzels.
I have never seen this commercial product, but my Korean friend made
something on this order sometimes. Basically, it was little dried anchovies
that were caramelized in sugar with hot pepper. This was added then as a
garnish, on top of those little bundles of rice on lettuce leaves topped
with other wonders such as kimchi.

mk5000

"They had
stations all
over the country.
Unfortunately, Red Berry died in 1973. "--jr