Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default I Love Anchovies! I'll Bet You Think You Don't Love Anchovies But YouDo, Too

What is that makes people run screaming from dishes that have the word
anchovy attached to them? People see anchovies listed on the menu in
their neighborhood pizza parlor or in a Caesar salad in a restaurant
and turn their noses up. Well, not me. I love anchovies. To me,
anchovies mean an exciting dish.
Many people hate them. Their question is; why are anchovies so salty?
If you are one of the people who cannot stand even the thought of an
anchovy, you may be surprised to know that, not only have you had them
often, you have LOVED them.
I had my first anchovy in college. It came on a pizza one of my
roommates had ordered. I didn't like it at all. The taste was so weird
and so intense. Plus, it was so salty.
Funny thing, though, the after taste was great. It sneaked up on me.
The next pizza I tried had no anchovies and seemed to lack something.
After that, any time somebody ordered pizza, I got my half with
anchovies. I have been hooked ever since. Now, I use them a lot. I
even put them on frozen pizza. Believe me I love anchovies.
Little did I know I had been eating anchovies for years. My mom always
used them in spaghetti and crab cakes. I never knew, because they were
hidden in a bottle. They are a key ingredient in Worcestershire Sauce.
Now, I add Worcestershire to many recipes: barbecue sauce, catfish
stew, salmon cakes.
If you enjoy the taste of Worcestershire Sauce, you have LOVED the
dreaded anchovy. You never noticed the salty anchovy taste. Imagine
that! Not only do I love anchovies. So do you! Why are anchovies so
salty? Because they are packed in salt immediately after they are
caught to preserve them.

Over 200 Low Calorie Recipes for the HCG Phase - http://www.hcgrecipes.tk/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I don't like anchovies on their own...but I used to use an Italian Dressing
that had anchovies in it and I thing that is probably what made it taste
better than those other bottled dressings .

"Herbert Eddy" > wrote in message
> What is that makes people run screaming from dishes that have the word
> anchovy attached to them? People see anchovies listed on the menu in
> their neighborhood pizza parlor or in a Caesar salad in a restaurant
> and turn their noses up. Well, not me. I love anchovies. To me,
> anchovies mean an exciting dish.
> Many people hate them. Their question is; why are anchovies so salty?
> If you are one of the people who cannot stand even the thought of an
> anchovy, you may be surprised to know that, not only have you had them
> often, you have LOVED them.
> I had my first anchovy in college. It came on a pizza one of my
> roommates had ordered. I didn't like it at all. The taste was so weird
> and so intense. Plus, it was so salty.
> Funny thing, though, the after taste was great. It sneaked up on me.
> The next pizza I tried had no anchovies and seemed to lack something.
> After that, any time somebody ordered pizza, I got my half with
> anchovies. I have been hooked ever since. Now, I use them a lot. I
> even put them on frozen pizza. Believe me I love anchovies.
> Little did I know I had been eating anchovies for years. My mom always
> used them in spaghetti and crab cakes. I never knew, because they were
> hidden in a bottle. They are a key ingredient in Worcestershire Sauce.
> Now, I add Worcestershire to many recipes: barbecue sauce, catfish
> stew, salmon cakes.
> If you enjoy the taste of Worcestershire Sauce, you have LOVED the
> dreaded anchovy. You never noticed the salty anchovy taste. Imagine
> that! Not only do I love anchovies. So do you! Why are anchovies so
> salty? Because they are packed in salt immediately after they are
> caught to preserve them.
>
> Over 200 Low Calorie Recipes for the HCG Phase - http://www.hcgrecipes.tk/

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Herbert Eddy wrote:

> Many people hate them. Their question is; why are anchovies so salty?
> If you are one of the people who cannot stand even the thought of an
> anchovy, you may be surprised to know that, not only have you had them
> often, you have LOVED them.
> I had my first anchovy in college. It came on a pizza one of my
> roommates had ordered. I didn't like it at all. The taste was so weird
> and so intense. Plus, it was so salty.

You can soak them in several changes of water
to reduce the salt.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article > ,
"Jacquie" > wrote:

> I don't like anchovies on their own...but I used to use an Italian Dressing
> that had anchovies in it and I thing that is probably what made it taste
> better than those other bottled dressings .

When I first made chicken cacciatore, back when I was in high school, I
used a recipe that included anchovies. Now I always put anchovies in
it, plus a lot of rosemary. It doesn't taste right without.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> "Jacquie" > wrote:
>
> > I don't like anchovies on their own...but I used to use an Italian
> > Dressing that had anchovies in it and I thing that is probably what
> > made it taste better than those other bottled dressings .

> When I first made chicken cacciatore, back when I was in high school, I
> used a recipe that included anchovies. Now I always put anchovies in
> it, plus a lot of rosemary. It doesn't taste right without.

Can I get your recipe? Anchovies and rosemary sound interesting. Here's
mine:

Nick's Chicken Cacciatore - Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

Marinara Sauce:

1/4 cup olive oil
8 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbs chopped fresh basil
1 Tbs oregano
1 or 2 bay leaves
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 (28-ounce) cans whole Italian tomatoes (San Marzano type recommended)
1/4 cup tomato paste

Chicken:

1 whole 3- to 4-pound chicken
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil (do not use extra-virgin olive oil)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1/3 cup dry Marsala
2 to 4 cups Marinara Sauce from above
½ to 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
15 to 20 pitted gaeta olives (substitute kalamata olives if gaeta are
unavailable) 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped

Instructions

To make sauce: Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the
garlic and cook until soft. Add the parsley, basil and red pepper flakes
and heat to release flavors, about 10 seconds.

Drain the liquid from the canned tomatoes and reserve. Crush the tomatoes
with your hands and add to the garlic mixture. Add the reserved juice and
tomato paste and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently for 30 to 40 minutes, but
do not let the sauce reduce or overcook. Refrigerate until needed. Makes 6
cups.

To make chicken: Cut the chicken into 8 pieces and season with salt and
pepper. Over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil in a skillet large enough
to hold the chicken pieces without crowding. When the oil is hot, carefully
add the chicken pieces, being careful as it will splatter. Brown the
chicken on both sides and remove from the pan. Add the onion and cook for 1
to 2 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
Drain off the oil and add the chicken back to the pan. Add the wine and
cook over high heat, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan,
until reduced by half.

Add the bay leaves and 2 cups of the Marinara Sauce. Use 4 cups if needing
extra sauce for a side dish of pasta. (Freeze any remaining sauce.) Reduce
heat and gently simmer for about 30 minutes, turning chicken pieces once or
twice. Add the mushrooms, olives, oregano and basil and continue simmering
for 15 minutes more. Turn off heat and let rest for 15 minutes. Skim fat
from the surface. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove bay leaves before
serving. Serve hot.

NOTE: If using dried mushrooms, add the soaking water to the marinara and
reduce only enough to compensate.

Serve over 1-1/2 to 2 lbs of farfalla or the pasta of your choice, with
crusty Italian bread on the side, for sopping.

Grated Parmigiana, Romano or Asiago cheese and something like a Chianti or
a Pinot Grigio to wash it down.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> > "Jacquie" > wrote:
> >
> > > I don't like anchovies on their own...but I used to use an Italian
> > > Dressing that had anchovies in it and I thing that is probably what
> > > made it taste better than those other bottled dressings .

> > When I first made chicken cacciatore, back when I was in high school, I
> > used a recipe that included anchovies. Now I always put anchovies in
> > it, plus a lot of rosemary. It doesn't taste right without.

> Can I get your recipe? Anchovies and rosemary sound interesting.

At this point it's not a written-down recipe. Here's my best memory of
how to make it:

Brown some chicken pieces in a little olive oil in the cast iron dutch
oven.
Remove and reserve the chicken.
Caramelize some sliced onions, and toss in whatever mushrooms, peppers,
etc. you want in it.
Remove and reserve the veggies.
Put in a little more olive oil.
Add a couple of big cloves of garlic, smashed and minced.
Chop one can of anchovies and add them.
Toss in a lot of rosemary.
Scrape in a small can of tomato paste.
Cook up the lot a bit.
Add the chicken back in, turning them in the flavorful
garlic/anchovy/rosemary/tomato paste goop, and plop the veggies on top
of the chicken.
Pour in some chicken stock.
Cover tightly.
Turn down heat and let it cook slowly for about an hour or so. Uncover
and turn the chicken pieces about 1/2 way in. Recover.
Remove chicken pieces. Bone and return the meat to the pan. If you
added too much chicken stock earlier, let the veggies, etc. reduce a
bit, uncovered, while you're waiting for the chicken to cool for
deboning.

Because of the anchovies, you will likely not need to add any salt, but
I might grind some pepper onto the garlic/anch/rose/tom stuff, too.

Enjoy.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Marinara Sauce:
>
> 1/4 cup olive oil
> 8 cloves garlic, chopped
> 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
> 2 Tbs chopped fresh basil
> 1 Tbs oregano
> 1 or 2 bay leaves
> ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
> 2 (28-ounce) cans whole Italian tomatoes (San Marzano type recommended)
> 1/4 cup tomato paste

You don't put onions in your red sauce?

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> > > When I first made chicken cacciatore, back when I was in high school,
> > > I used a recipe that included anchovies. Now I always put anchovies
> > > in it, plus a lot of rosemary. It doesn't taste right without.

> > Can I get your recipe? Anchovies and rosemary sound interesting.

> At this point it's not a written-down recipe. Here's my best memory of
> how to make it:

[ . . . ]

Sounds great! Thanks.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> > Marinara Sauce:
> >
> > 1/4 cup olive oil
> > 8 cloves garlic, chopped
> > 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
> > 2 Tbs chopped fresh basil
> > 1 Tbs oregano
> > 1 or 2 bay leaves
> > ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
> > 2 (28-ounce) cans whole Italian tomatoes (San Marzano type recommended)
> > 1/4 cup tomato paste

> You don't put onions in your red sauce?

Onion is in the "Chicken" part of the recipe.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 29 May 2010 11:25:09 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
> wrote:

>Toss in a lot of rosemary.

Fresh, or dried, Priscilla?

That's my kind of recipe, btw, I love that kind of free-form
instructions

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nicky > wrote:

> On Sat, 29 May 2010 11:25:09 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
> > wrote:
>
> >Toss in a lot of rosemary.

> Fresh, or dried, Priscilla?

Whatever you have. I had fresh rosemary in the garden when I made this
last, but the plants weren't very big yet, so I used dried.

> That's my kind of recipe, btw, I love that kind of free-form
> instructions

Great! With the 1/2 teaspoon of this and 2 T of that recipes I have to
sort of turn the instructions into visualizations before I proceed.

PP