Old 17-05-2004, 05:30 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Default So if I can't overdose on tea, can I get drunk on it?

Anyone know any drinks that mix alcohol and tea?

--Blair
"First person to say 'Long Island' anything
gets a pu-erh brick up his spout."

Old 17-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Rick Chappell

Well, "parson's tea" is tea with a bit of rum or whiskey in it. I
believe it was generally drunk to give the appearance of
abstemiousness without the corresponding burden of complete sobriety.
But I have just tried to look it up in the OED without success, and
although I do not always limit myself to words which appear in the
dictionary this does void my usual warrantee.

But regardless of appearances, after walking home from work on a
frosty Wisconsin evening (i.e., at some point between September and
May, inclusive) I have been known to make a strong cup of
Oestfriesland tea, brown sugar, and bourbon. But since hearing about
Catrin K.'s cannabis tea I'm thinking of switching to it.

Rick.

Old 17-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Jeremiah T. Isaacs

In rec.food.drink Blair P. Houghton wrote:
Anyone know any drinks that mix alcohol and tea?

I sometimes have sake, hot tea, lemon, and honey (or more
specifically, sake, bigelo 'I love lemon' tea, and honey). I think it
is a decent low-alcohol drink, using just a couple oz of sake, and a
normal size cup of tea.

- j
--
http://www.io.com/~jti/ drivel, in esperanto, new and improved
http://www.fluoroscopickid.com electronic music
Old 18-05-2004, 09:29 AM
Gyorgy Sajo

Blair P. Houghton wrote in message ...
Anyone know any drinks that mix alcohol and tea?

--Blair
"First person to say 'Long Island' anything
gets a pu-erh brick up his spout."

In Hungary "rumos tea" (black tea with rum) is a quite popular
beverage, especially in the winter time, or when you have a flu. As
the Hungarian saying goes, it tastes best without adding the tea...
But I better stop before getting off topic.

György
Old 24-06-2004, 04:35 AM
Blair P. Houghton

rossoik wrote:
Here in East Texas I've had a customer who likes Southern Comfort and
tea.

Much as I hate SoCo, the sweetness might just give a "sweet tea"
sort of effect in tea.

--Blair
"80-proof kool-aid."
Old 23-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Matt Probert

On Mon, 17 May 2004 14:59:56 +0000 (UTC) Rick Chappell
broke off from drinking a cup of
tea at Dept. of Statistics, Univ. of Wisconsin to write:

Well, "parson's tea" is tea with a bit of rum or whiskey in it. I
believe it was generally drunk to give the appearance of
abstemiousness without the corresponding burden of complete sobriety.
But I have just tried to look it up in the OED without success, and
although I do not always limit myself to words which appear in the
dictionary this does void my usual warrantee.

Indeed, while the term 'parson's tea' may be plausible, not only is it
not to be found in the OED but it is not to be found in any slang
references either. It seems to be a little used, or localised
expression.

Matt

--
If your encyclopaedia doesn't list "widget glass", you're reading the wrong encyclopaedia.
The Probert Encyclopaedia. Its not the same.

Old 23-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Rick Chappell

I wrote:

Well, "parson's tea" is tea with a bit of rum or whiskey in it. I
believe it was generally drunk to give the appearance of
abstemiousness without the corresponding burden of complete sobriety.
But I have just tried to look it up in the OED without success, and
although I do not always limit myself to words which appear in the
dictionary this does void my usual warrantee.

Matt Probert answered:
Indeed, while the term 'parson's tea' may be plausible, not only is it
not to be found in the OED but it is not to be found in any slang
references either. It seems to be a little used, or localised
expression.

You're right. I can't find it anywhere either. But, unafraid to spend time
on obscure and utterly useless causes, I'll keep looking. Rick.

Old 23-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Matt Probert

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:29:38 +0000 (UTC) Rick Chappell

I wrote:

Well, "parson's tea" is tea with a bit of rum or whiskey in it. I
believe it was generally drunk to give the appearance of
abstemiousness without the corresponding burden of complete sobriety.
But I have just tried to look it up in the OED without success, and
although I do not always limit myself to words which appear in the
dictionary this does void my usual warrantee.

Matt Probert answered:
Indeed, while the term 'parson's tea' may be plausible, not only is it
not to be found in the OED but it is not to be found in any slang
references either. It seems to be a little used, or localised
expression.

You're right. I can't find it anywhere either. But, unafraid to spend time
on obscure and utterly useless causes, I'll keep looking. Rick.

Hey you and me both. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence,
as the archaeologists say. If you do trace it's use anywhere, please
let me know, I have an encyclopaedia to maintain! G

Matt

--
Over 14,000 searchable slang definitions from around
the 'English' speaking world.

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/slang.htm

Christmas & Chanukka overdose Nick Cramer Diabetic 2 08-12-2009 08:32 AM
Chocolate Overdose Cookie Bars Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-12-2005 01:51 PM
Galalcool overdose steve Winemaking 3 29-06-2005 03:42 AM
Galalcool - overdose. steve Winemaking 0 28-06-2005 01:04 AM
2 Questions: Healthiest vegetables? & Risk of vitamin A overdose? chris General Cooking 25 22-02-2005 04:03 PM