Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sticky date pudding

Does anyone have a really good sticky date pudding. I've tried a few
different recipes over the years, but one was too dry and another wasn't
sweet enough. Now that I've discovered all you wonderfully clever people,
maybe someone would care to share a good juicy, sweet recipe.

Thanks

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:
> Does anyone have a really good sticky date pudding. I've tried a few
> different recipes over the years, but one was too dry and another wasn't
> sweet enough. Now that I've discovered all you wonderfully clever people,
> maybe someone would care to share a good juicy, sweet recipe.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jen

Funnily enough, in yesterday's newspaper was a recipe for sticky date
pudding and butterscotch sauce from a renowned NZ cook I trust (Alison
Holst). She does family-style recipes rather than restaurant ones. If
you want it, email me at

and I'll type it out for you and great effort! I don't log on here
often since I now have to use google groups. The recipe is untried, but
when I saw it I thought I'd save it as I also have been disappointed
with ones I've tried to cook.

Kathy-in-NZ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathy-in-NZ wrote on 04 Aug 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Jen wrote:
> > Does anyone have a really good sticky date pudding. I've tried a
> > few different recipes over the years, but one was too dry and
> > another wasn't sweet enough. Now that I've discovered all you
> > wonderfully clever people, maybe someone would care to share a good
> > juicy, sweet recipe.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jen

> Funnily enough, in yesterday's newspaper was a recipe for sticky date
> pudding and butterscotch sauce from a renowned NZ cook I trust (Alison
> Holst). She does family-style recipes rather than restaurant ones. If
> you want it, email me at
>
> and I'll type it out for you and great effort! I don't log on here
> often since I now have to use google groups. The recipe is untried,
> but when I saw it I thought I'd save it as I also have been
> disappointed with ones I've tried to cook.
>
> Kathy-in-NZ

We believe in sharing...In fact that's why there is a newsgroup...Post
the damn recipe never mind this i'll send it to (just) you crap.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:
> Does anyone have a really good sticky date pudding. I've tried a few
> different recipes over the years, but one was too dry and another wasn't
> sweet enough. Now that I've discovered all you wonderfully clever people,
> maybe someone would care to share a good juicy, sweet recipe.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jen

I use Stephanie Alexander's recipe, which is dead easy.

170g dates, stoned and chopped (do this with kitchen scissors)
1 tsp bicarb soda
300ml boiling water
60g unsalted butter
3/4 cup castor or brown sugar
2 eggs
170g self-raising flour
1/2 pure vanilla

sauce -
400g brown sugar
1 cup thick cream
250g unsalted butter
1 vanilla bean split (beans the price they are, I use vanilla extract)

Mix dates and bicarb soda. Pour over boiling water and leave to stand.

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
Fold flour in gently, then stir in date mixture and vanilla. Pour into
buttered 18cm square cake tin. Bake in centre of preheated 180C oven for
30-40 mins until cooked when tested with skewer.

To make sauce, bring all ingredients to a boil, reduce heat and simmer
for 5 mins. I make it in a large microwave jug - you have to watch it
because it wants to boil over. I think that the quantity she gives is
too much, and only ever make half which is plenty.

Pour a little sauce over the warm pudding and return to the oven for 2-3
mins so sauce soaks in. Cut pudding into squares and pass
extra sauce.

She does say you can add 100g chopped bittersweet chocolate before
baking, but personally I think it is excessive.

The given quantity serves 8, unless one or more is a teenage boy. I find
the pudding, being basically a cake, will keep in the fridge for days,
and the sauce (in its jug) likewise

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message

> I use Stephanie Alexander's recipe, which is dead easy.
>
> 170g dates, stoned and chopped (do this with kitchen scissors)
> 1 tsp bicarb soda
> 300ml boiling water
> 60g unsalted butter

> Christine

This sounds great. I love the sauce, so I'd leave it as is.

Thanks. I'll try it some time soon.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 04 Aug 2006 05:44:44p, Old Mother Ashby meant to say...

> Jen wrote:
>> Does anyone have a really good sticky date pudding. I've tried a few
>> different recipes over the years, but one was too dry and another
>> wasn't sweet enough. Now that I've discovered all you wonderfully
>> clever people, maybe someone would care to share a good juicy, sweet
>> recipe.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jen
>>

> I use Stephanie Alexander's recipe, which is dead easy.
>
> 170g dates, stoned and chopped (do this with kitchen scissors)
> 1 tsp bicarb soda
> 300ml boiling water
> 60g unsalted butter
> 3/4 cup castor or brown sugar
> 2 eggs
> 170g self-raising flour
> 1/2 pure vanilla
>
> sauce -
> 400g brown sugar
> 1 cup thick cream
> 250g unsalted butter
> 1 vanilla bean split (beans the price they are, I use vanilla extract)
>
> Mix dates and bicarb soda. Pour over boiling water and leave to stand.
>
> Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
> Fold flour in gently, then stir in date mixture and vanilla. Pour into
> buttered 18cm square cake tin. Bake in centre of preheated 180C oven for
> 30-40 mins until cooked when tested with skewer.
>
> To make sauce, bring all ingredients to a boil, reduce heat and simmer
> for 5 mins. I make it in a large microwave jug - you have to watch it
> because it wants to boil over. I think that the quantity she gives is
> too much, and only ever make half which is plenty.
>
> Pour a little sauce over the warm pudding and return to the oven for 2-3
> mins so sauce soaks in. Cut pudding into squares and pass
> extra sauce.
>
> She does say you can add 100g chopped bittersweet chocolate before
> baking, but personally I think it is excessive.
>
> The given quantity serves 8, unless one or more is a teenage boy. I find
> the pudding, being basically a cake, will keep in the fridge for days,
> and the sauce (in its jug) likewise

That sounds delicious, but it would probably spike my BG to around 400. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

ERROR 103: Dead mouse in hard drive.

Sticky toffee pudding Jujube6 Baking 0 03-08-2011 05:22 PM
Sticky Toffee Pudding (3) Collection [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 05-11-2006 02:08 AM
Sticky Toffee Pudding MOMPEAGRAM Recipes (moderated) 0 24-10-2006 04:18 AM
Sticky Toffee Pudding International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 25-07-2005 04:02 AM
Australian Sticky Date Pudding International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 17-01-2005 05:27 PM