Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken prices - how to compare!

I posted this before, but it seems to have disappeared - from both
newsgroups I put it in. Very suspicious.

This chart is from a 1982 information book (oddly, there was no mention
of computers in the index even though just about every other subject,
from First Aid to house-buying to cooking to hiking, was covered).

If a whole fryer costs 49 cents per pound:

67 cents p.p. should be the cost of breast half without rib
65 cents for breast half with rib
55 cents for thighs
53 cents for thighs & drumsticks
50 cents for drumsticks
39 cents for wings

If the fryer's at 51 cents, then it's 70, 67, 57, 55, 53, 41

If 53 cents, then it's 72, 70, 59, 57, 55, 43

If 55 cents, then it's 75, 73, 61, 59, 57, 44

If 57 cents, then it's 78, 75, 63, 61, 59, 46

If 59 cents, then it's 80, 78, 66, 63, 61, 48

If 61 cents, then it's 83, 81, 68, 66, 63, 49

If 63 cents, then it's 86, 83, 70, 68, 65, 51.

Note that the ratios change as you move down the chart.

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I posted this before, but it seems to have disappeared - from both
> newsgroups I put it in. Very suspicious.
>
> This chart is from a 1982 information book (oddly, there was no mention
> of computers in the index even though just about every other subject,
> from First Aid to house-buying to cooking to hiking, was covered).
>

> If a whole fryer costs 49 cents per pound:
>
> 67 cents p.p. should be the cost of breast half without rib
> 65 cents for breast half with rib
> 55 cents for thighs
> 53 cents for thighs & drumsticks
> 50 cents for drumsticks
> 39 cents for wings
>
> If the fryer's at 51 cents, then it's 70, 67, 57, 55, 53, 41
>
> If 53 cents, then it's 72, 70, 59, 57, 55, 43
>
> If 55 cents, then it's 75, 73, 61, 59, 57, 44
>
> If 57 cents, then it's 78, 75, 63, 61, 59, 46
>
> If 59 cents, then it's 80, 78, 66, 63, 61, 48
>
> If 61 cents, then it's 83, 81, 68, 66, 63, 49
>
> If 63 cents, then it's 86, 83, 70, 68, 65, 51.
>

> Note that the ratios change as you move down the chart.
>

> Lenona.

What exactly do you see as the function of this information?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I posted this before, but it seems to have disappeared - from both
> > newsgroups I put it in. Very suspicious.
> >
> > This chart is from a 1982 information book (oddly, there was no mention
> > of computers in the index even though just about every other subject,
> > from First Aid to house-buying to cooking to hiking, was covered).
> >

> > If a whole fryer costs 49 cents per pound:
> >
> > 67 cents p.p. should be the cost of breast half without rib
> > 65 cents for breast half with rib
> > 55 cents for thighs
> > 53 cents for thighs & drumsticks
> > 50 cents for drumsticks
> > 39 cents for wings
> >
> > If the fryer's at 51 cents, then it's 70, 67, 57, 55, 53, 41
> >
> > If 53 cents, then it's 72, 70, 59, 57, 55, 43
> >
> > If 55 cents, then it's 75, 73, 61, 59, 57, 44
> >
> > If 57 cents, then it's 78, 75, 63, 61, 59, 46
> >
> > If 59 cents, then it's 80, 78, 66, 63, 61, 48
> >
> > If 61 cents, then it's 83, 81, 68, 66, 63, 49
> >
> > If 63 cents, then it's 86, 83, 70, 68, 65, 51.
> >

> > Note that the ratios change as you move down the chart.
> >

> > Lenona.
> >

> What exactly do you see as the function of this information?

And are you aware that all this is moot since the invention of the
boneless chicken ranch?

Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sueb wrote:

> cybercat wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> > > I posted this before, but it seems to have disappeared - from both
> > > newsgroups I put it in. Very suspicious.
> > >
> > > This chart is from a 1982 information book (oddly, there was no

mention
> > > of computers in the index even though just about every other subject,
> > > from First Aid to house-buying to cooking to hiking, was covered).
> > >

> > > If a whole fryer costs 49 cents per pound:
> > >
> > > 67 cents p.p. should be the cost of breast half without rib
> > > 65 cents for breast half with rib
> > > 55 cents for thighs
> > > 53 cents for thighs & drumsticks
> > > 50 cents for drumsticks
> > > 39 cents for wings
> > >
> > > If the fryer's at 51 cents, then it's 70, 67, 57, 55, 53, 41
> > >
> > > If 53 cents, then it's 72, 70, 59, 57, 55, 43
> > >
> > > If 55 cents, then it's 75, 73, 61, 59, 57, 44
> > >
> > > If 57 cents, then it's 78, 75, 63, 61, 59, 46
> > >
> > > If 59 cents, then it's 80, 78, 66, 63, 61, 48
> > >
> > > If 61 cents, then it's 83, 81, 68, 66, 63, 49
> > >
> > > If 63 cents, then it's 86, 83, 70, 68, 65, 51.
> > >

> > > Note that the ratios change as you move down the chart.
> > >

> > > Lenona.
> > >

> > What exactly do you see as the function of this information?

> And are you aware that all this is moot since the invention of the
> boneless chicken ranch?

And chicken has gotten cheaper by a factor of at least half since 1982...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

cybercat wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...

[snip]
> > This chart is from a 1982 information book (oddly, there was no mention
> > of computers in the index even though just about every other subject,
> > from First Aid to house-buying to cooking to hiking, was covered).
> >
> > If a whole fryer costs 49 cents per pound:
> >
> > 67 cents p.p. should be the cost of breast half without rib

[snip the rest]

> What exactly do you see as the function of this information?

It has no function because it's wrong. The table seems to be
constructed on the basis of a weight division, taking the whole chicken
price as the underlying "value." Neither that premise nor that method
has anything to do with how packages at the market are priced. In the
real world, it depends on what was the composition of the last
truckload of chicken and chicken parts delivered to the store, what is
the relative popularity among that store's custormers of the different
cuts/packaging of chicken, and which are the surplus parts that need to
be moved out as fast as possible. Supply and demand. Not intrinsic
value and relative weight. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

> [snip]
> > > This chart is from a 1982 information book (oddly, there was no

mention
> > > of computers in the index even though just about every other subject,
> > > from First Aid to house-buying to cooking to hiking, was covered).
> > >
> > > If a whole fryer costs 49 cents per pound:
> > >
> > > 67 cents p.p. should be the cost of breast half without rib

> [snip the rest]
> > >

> > What exactly do you see as the function of this information?

> It has no function because it's wrong. The table seems to be
> constructed on the basis of a weight division, taking the whole chicken
> price as the underlying "value." Neither that premise nor that method
> has anything to do with how packages at the market are priced. In the
> real world, it depends on what was the composition of the last
> truckload of chicken and chicken parts delivered to the store, what is
> the relative popularity among that store's custormers of the different
> cuts/packaging of chicken, and which are the surplus parts that need to
> be moved out as fast as possible. Supply and demand. Not intrinsic
> value and relative weight. -aem

so, essentially, the orginal post is just an exercise in mental
masturbation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sueb" > wrote

> And are you aware that all this is moot since the invention of the
> boneless chicken ranch?

Ahaha! Didn't the Far Side do this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "sueb" > wrote
>
> > And are you aware that all this is moot since the invention of the
> > boneless chicken ranch?
> >

> Ahaha! Didn't the Far Side do this?

He was just reporting on the phenomenon!

I can't be the only one concerned that the OP's first two posts about
this have mysteriously vanished. Is it possible that these prices will
be used for evil, not for good? Or that forces beyond our
comprehension are shielding us from this knowledge?

I will remain alert.
Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in news:44d118d7$1_2@x-
privat.org:

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> I posted this before, but it seems to have disappeared - from both
>> newsgroups I put it in. Very suspicious.
>>
>> This chart is from a 1982 information book (oddly, there was no

mention
>> of computers in the index even though just about every other subject,
>> from First Aid to house-buying to cooking to hiking, was covered).
>>

>> If a whole fryer costs 49 cents per pound:
>>
>> 67 cents p.p. should be the cost of breast half without rib
>> 65 cents for breast half with rib
>> 55 cents for thighs
>> 53 cents for thighs & drumsticks
>> 50 cents for drumsticks
>> 39 cents for wings
>>
>> If the fryer's at 51 cents, then it's 70, 67, 57, 55, 53, 41
>>
>> If 53 cents, then it's 72, 70, 59, 57, 55, 43
>>
>> If 55 cents, then it's 75, 73, 61, 59, 57, 44
>>
>> If 57 cents, then it's 78, 75, 63, 61, 59, 46
>>
>> If 59 cents, then it's 80, 78, 66, 63, 61, 48
>>
>> If 61 cents, then it's 83, 81, 68, 66, 63, 49
>>
>> If 63 cents, then it's 86, 83, 70, 68, 65, 51.
>>

>> Note that the ratios change as you move down the chart.
>>

>> Lenona.
>>

> What exactly do you see as the function of this information?

It saves people from having to use sleeping pills?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 01:13:47 -0500, "jmcquown" >

>> I posted this before, but it seems to have disappeared - from both
>> newsgroups I put it in. Very suspicious.
>>
>> This chart is from a 1982 information book (oddly, there was no
>> mention of computers in the index even though just about every other
>> subject, from First Aid to house-buying to cooking to hiking, was
>> covered).
>>

>And why would you expect mention of computers from a 1982 book? The IBM PC
>wasn't introduced for home use until 1981.
>
>Jill

There were home computers before the IBM PC. We had a TRS80 in 1979
and we joined a computer group that had been going for several years.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > There were home computers before the IBM PC. We had a TRS80 in 1979
> > and we joined a computer group that had been going for several years.

> Okay, true; I was referring to what became the "standard" PC. But I still
> don't see why a food information book should be expected to include computer
> information in 1982 when it wasn't common for most households to own one.
>
> Jill

It wasn't mainly about food. As I mentioned, the book included info on
First Aid and home-buying. The title was "Information Age Sourcebook."
It was a 2-inch thick paperback.

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bailey Legull wrote:
> I actually think it's interesting, though it's not real helpful.

I admit it's not that useful to ME, per se, since here in New England,
I sometimes see leg quarters sold at 39 cents per pound, but any bony
cut - such as wings - is never cheaper than that, and whole chicken
never seems to be under 60 cents, so I just go with the leg quarters,
separate them, and freeze them to use one by one until the next sale.

> I remember this, though, from when I was a kid. Housewives actually
> used this information!

Yes, and why not? As the "Complete Tightwad Gazette" author Amy
Dacyczyn wrote (she fed her family of 8 on $180 a month at one point,
when her youngest two children were toddlers - she's now 50): "How many
ways can you think of to save a big chunk of money fast? Five? Maybe
ten?" Whereas, she said, there are dozens and dozens of ways to save
small amounts that will add up - and it makes you more cautious with
money in general if you're always practicising that train of thought.

> Anyway, a question. What's "breast half without rib"? That can't be
> boneless, at just two cents more per pound. Boneless is usually double
> the price of bone-in breast.

No idea - I'm just quoting the chart.