Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Egg prices: how to compare

This is based on the chart in Amy Dacyczyn's (pronounced "decision")
book "The Complete Tightwad Gazette."

She says eggs are graded like this:

A dozen small eggs must weigh a minimum of 18 ounces.
Medium eggs: 21 oz.
Large eggs: 24 oz.
Extra-large: 27 oz.
Jumbo: 30 oz.

So, if you're lucky enough to be able to find j. eggs for no more than
$1.59 a dozen, you should pay no more than:

$1.49 for EL
$1.29 for L
$1.09 for M.

(I don't mention small because I never see them.)

Also, five large eggs are equal to four jumbo eggs.

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:55:37 -0800 (PST), Lenona >
wrote:

>This is based on the chart in Amy Dacyczyn's (pronounced "decision")
>book "The Complete Tightwad Gazette."
>
>She says eggs are graded like this:
>
>A dozen small eggs must weigh a minimum of 18 ounces.
>Medium eggs: 21 oz.
>Large eggs: 24 oz.
>Extra-large: 27 oz.
>Jumbo: 30 oz.
>
>So, if you're lucky enough to be able to find j. eggs for no more than
>$1.59 a dozen, you should pay no more than:
>
>$1.49 for EL
>$1.29 for L
>$1.09 for M.
>
>(I don't mention small because I never see them.)

I see small eggs in the local stupidmarkets all the time. And they
often have pee wee eggs on sale, 49¢/doz, a far better deal than your
$1.59 jumbos.

http://greenliving.about.com/od/food...a/EggGrade.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-11-22, brooklyn1 > wrote:

> I see small eggs in the local stupidmarkets all the time.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....

We all know you somehow have access to every obscure food product ever
conceived in the history of mankind in your "local" market. I'd love
to see this magical market where you shop, Shel. I wanna name,
telephone number, and address!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lenona > wrote:

> This is based on the chart in Amy Dacyczyn's (pronounced "decision")
> book "The Complete Tightwad Gazette."
>
> She says eggs are graded like this:
>
> A dozen small eggs must weigh a minimum of 18 ounces.
> Medium eggs: 21 oz.
> Large eggs: 24 oz.
> Extra-large: 27 oz.
> Jumbo: 30 oz.
>
> So, if you're lucky enough to be able to find j. eggs for no more than
> $1.59 a dozen, you should pay no more than:
>
> $1.49 for EL
> $1.29 for L
> $1.09 for M.
>
> (I don't mention small because I never see them.)
>
> Also, five large eggs are equal to four jumbo eggs.
>

> Lenona.

I buy only Grade AA large eggs; recipes are standardized, I believe, to
use large eggs. The last thing I need in my fridge is four different
sizes of eggs.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message ...
| On 2009-11-22, brooklyn1 > wrote:
|
| > I see small eggs in the local stupidmarkets all the time.
|
| Yeah, yeah, yeah.....
|
| We all know you somehow have access to every obscure food product ever
| conceived in the history of mankind in your "local" market. I'd love
| to see this magical market where you shop, Shel. I wanna name,
| telephone number, and address!
|
| nb

And a picture. You can't prove it without a picture.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Lenona > wrote:
>
>> This is based on the chart in Amy Dacyczyn's (pronounced "decision")
>> book "The Complete Tightwad Gazette."
>>
>> She says eggs are graded like this:
>>
>> A dozen small eggs must weigh a minimum of 18 ounces.
>> Medium eggs: 21 oz.
>> Large eggs: 24 oz.
>> Extra-large: 27 oz.
>> Jumbo: 30 oz.
>>
>> So, if you're lucky enough to be able to find j. eggs for no more than
>> $1.59 a dozen, you should pay no more than:
>>
>> $1.49 for EL
>> $1.29 for L
>> $1.09 for M.
>>
>> (I don't mention small because I never see them.)
>>
>> Also, five large eggs are equal to four jumbo eggs.
>>

>> Lenona.

> I buy only Grade AA large eggs; recipes are standardized, I believe, to
> use large eggs. The last thing I need in my fridge is four different
> sizes of eggs.

When we had a flock of chickens we just used whatever fell out of the
chickens a** that day. <G>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lenona" > wrote in message

> This is based on the chart in Amy Dacyczyn's (pronounced "decision")
> book "The Complete Tightwad Gazette."
>
> She says eggs are graded like this:
>
> A dozen small eggs must weigh a minimum of 18 ounces.
> Medium eggs: 21 oz.
> Large eggs: 24 oz.
> Extra-large: 27 oz.
> Jumbo: 30 oz.
>
> So, if you're lucky enough to be able to find j. eggs for no more than
> $1.59 a dozen, you should pay no more than:
>
> $1.49 for EL
> $1.29 for L
> $1.09 for M.
>
> (I don't mention small because I never see them.)
>
> Also, five large eggs are equal to four jumbo eggs.

Quit counting and weighing eggs and go buy yourself a filled pancake pan.
Please.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 3:08*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:55:37 -0800 (PST), Lenona >
> wrote:
>

> >This is based on the chart in Amy Dacyczyn's (pronounced "decision")
> >book "The Complete Tightwad Gazette."

> >She says eggs are graded like this:

> >A dozen small eggs must weigh a minimum of 18 ounces.
> >Medium eggs: 21 oz.
> >Large eggs: * *24 oz.
> >Extra-large: * *27 oz.
> >Jumbo: * * * * *30 oz.

> >So, if you're lucky enough to be able to find j. eggs for no more than
> >$1.59 a dozen, you should pay no more than:

> >$1.49 for EL
> >$1.29 for L
> >$1.09 for M.

> >(I don't mention small because I never see them.)

> I see small eggs in the local stupidmarkets all the time. *And they
> often have pee wee eggs on sale, 49¢/doz, a far better deal than your
> $1.59 jumbos.

Kroger, here, stocks small, medium, large, x-large, jumbos, and
organic eggs. Why anyone would want to buy small eggs is beyond me,
even medium is hard to understand. This week large hen berries are 98
cents per dozen at Kroger.

Two weeks ago I got a dozen large eggs at Aldi's for 49 cents and the
next week they were 69 cents. I purchased several dozen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>I buy only Grade AA large eggs; recipes are standardized, I believe, to
>use large eggs. The last thing I need in my fridge is four different
>sizes of eggs.

By far the eggs I use are for cooking and eating as is; fried,
omelets, boiled, french toast, meat loaf, etc., only occasionally do
I use eggs that require any degree of precision measuring... even for
baking I eyeball, never yet hada cake fail from one egg more or
less... maybe your're using those new fangled banana eggs! LOL

I buy whichever size eggs are the best price... I always buy small and
pee wee eggs when on sale... I have no problem whatsoever making an
omelet from pee wee eggs, 2 pee wees equal 1 large... and I don't care
that my omelet is larger by what amounts to one or two pee wees.... I
don't care if my omelet contains 2 large and 2 pee wees, or 6 pee
wees, or 1 large and 4 pee wees or whatever. Actually I don't count
how many I crack, I count how many remain in the egg cartin...
whenever threre are one or two eggs remaining I just use those too,
I'm not going to open the fridge door just to put back a practically
empty egg cartin anymore than I will put back a milk container with an
ounce of milk left. I bet you're the one who puts back the ice cube
trays with just one ice cube in each of all four trays... I bet you're
the one who leaves just one sheet of TP just to escape from putting in
a new roll! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>This is based on the chart in Amy Dacyczyn's (pronounced "decision")
>book "The Complete Tightwad Gazette."
>
>She says eggs are graded like this:
>
>A dozen small eggs must weigh a minimum of 18 ounces.
>Medium eggs: 21 oz.
>Large eggs: 24 oz.
>Extra-large: 27 oz.
>Jumbo: 30 oz.
>
>So, if you're lucky enough to be able to find j. eggs for no more than
>$1.59 a dozen, you should pay no more than:
>
>$1.49 for EL
>$1.29 for L
>$1.09 for M.

I don't know how it goes in your neck of the woods, but Jumbo doesn't
come in AA here, only a grade lower - A and that's why they cost less.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:15:03 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2009-11-22, brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>> I see small eggs in the local stupidmarkets all the time.

>Yeah, yeah, yeah.....
>
>We all know you somehow have access to every obscure food product ever
>conceived in the history of mankind in your "local" market. I'd love
>to see this magical market where you shop, Shel. I wanna name,
>telephone number, and address!

We get small eggs here too.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:37:36 GMT, "Kent Brockman" >
wrote:

>Another way to compare is; if I eat 2 eggs for breakfast, jumbos would cause
>me to eat and spend at least 25% more for my two-egg breakfast.

Moms usually buy jumbo eggs so they can get their kids to eat more egg
without knowing it. It's eat your egg, not eat your eggs.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:55:37 -0800 (PST), Lenona >
> wrote:
>

>>This is based on the chart in Amy Dacyczyn's (pronounced "decision")
>>book "The Complete Tightwad Gazette."
>>
>>So, if you're lucky enough to be able to find j. eggs for no more than
>>$1.59 a dozen, you should pay no more than:
>>$1.29 for L

I buy eggs at Walgreens. 99 cents for a dozen large. All the time. Milk
is less expensive there, too.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 6:00*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> I buy eggs at Walgreens. *Milk
> is less expensive there, too.
>
> Jill

Sometimes, not always.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:55:37 -0800 (PST), Lenona >
> wrote:
>

>>This is based on the chart in Amy Dacyczyn's (pronounced "decision")
>>book "The Complete Tightwad Gazette."
>>
>>She says eggs are graded like this:
>>
>>A dozen small eggs must weigh a minimum of 18 ounces.
>>Medium eggs: 21 oz.
>>Large eggs: 24 oz.
>>Extra-large: 27 oz.
>>Jumbo: 30 oz.
>>
>>So, if you're lucky enough to be able to find j. eggs for no more than
>>$1.59 a dozen, you should pay no more than:
>>
>>$1.49 for EL
>>$1.29 for L
>>$1.09 for M.

> I don't know how it goes in your neck of the woods, but Jumbo doesn't
> come in AA here, only a grade lower - A and that's why they cost less.

Really? I wonder why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:04:02 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:55:37 -0800 (PST), Lenona >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>This is based on the chart in Amy Dacyczyn's (pronounced "decision")
>>>book "The Complete Tightwad Gazette."
>>>
>>>She says eggs are graded like this:
>>>
>>>A dozen small eggs must weigh a minimum of 18 ounces.
>>>Medium eggs: 21 oz.
>>>Large eggs: 24 oz.
>>>Extra-large: 27 oz.
>>>Jumbo: 30 oz.
>>>
>>>So, if you're lucky enough to be able to find j. eggs for no more than
>>>$1.59 a dozen, you should pay no more than:
>>>
>>>$1.49 for EL
>>>$1.29 for L
>>>$1.09 for M.

>> I don't know how it goes in your neck of the woods, but Jumbo doesn't
>> come in AA here, only a grade lower - A and that's why they cost less.
>>

>Really? I wonder why?

Costing less is obvious, but I don't know why they are grade A. Check
the jumbo eggs at your sometime and report back. Are they A or AA? I
can't recall ever seeing AA jumbo eggs in my stores.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 00:30:55 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:04:02 -0500, "cybercat" >
>wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I don't know how it goes in your neck of the woods, but Jumbo doesn't
>>> come in AA here, only a grade lower - A and that's why they cost less.
>>>

>>Really? I wonder why?
>>

>Costing less is obvious, but I don't know why they are grade A. Check
>the jumbo eggs at your sometime and report back. Are they A or AA? I
>can't recall ever seeing AA jumbo eggs in my stores.

Grading may not be manditory in your location and is different by
State.

http://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-fac...edia/g/grading
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:15:03 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2009-11-22, brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>> I see small eggs in the local stupidmarkets all the time.

> Yeah, yeah, yeah.....
>
> We all know you somehow have access to every obscure food product ever
> conceived in the history of mankind in your "local" market. I'd love
> to see this magical market where you shop, Shel. I wanna name,
> telephone number, and address!
>
> nb

....and the markets are still 'stupid.'

your pal,