Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Weird nicknames for recipes (was shit on a shingle)

In article > ,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> Thanks.... I think LOL

> > Ok, so I'll start:
> >
> > Toad in the hole (Yorkshire pudding with sausage I believe?)

> Yep
>

> > Pigs in a Blanket (sausage or hot dog meatrolls in dough)

> Sausage
>

> > Can't think of any others off hand, too tired and need to get some
> > sleep for the day. ;-)

> No problem))

Got anymore? :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
T > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> > In article >,

> > > Thanks.... I think LOL

> > Ok, so I'll start:
> >
> > Toad in the hole (Yorkshire pudding with sausage I believe?)
> >
> > Pigs in a Blanket (sausage or hot dog meatrolls in dough)
> >
> > Can't think of any others off hand, too tired and need to get some sleep
> > for the day. ;-)
> >

> That's ok - a spinach pie with pepperoni, garlic, seasonings etc. is
> known as a Wimpy Skippy around here.

New one on me...
Sounds interesting.

My dad likes to make Dagwood Sandwiches.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>> > Ok, so I'll start:
>> >
>> > Toad in the hole (Yorkshire pudding with sausage I believe?)

>> Yep
>>

>> > Pigs in a Blanket (sausage or hot dog meatrolls in dough)

>> Sausage
>>

>> > Can't think of any others off hand, too tired and need to get some
>> > sleep for the day. ;-)

>> No problem))

> Got anymore? :-)

Me?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I watched a cooking show make "Spotted Dick." I thought that sounded pretty
interesting.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mspotteddick.html

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default shit on a shingle

Ophelia wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> In article .com>,
>> My mom made it that way too, along with finely chopped onions, bell
>> peppers and garlic, then she made a roux with the leftover juice to
>> make a thick sort of lumpy gray.
>>
>> We'd then toast some bread and break it up into a bowl, then pour the
>> SOS back over it. Add salt and pepper to taste.
>>
>> It was wonderful.

> LOL!!!!! OH Kat.. I can't believe anyone would give such a name to
> food ))

It's a military term; if you ever ate military rations (and I'm not talking
c-rats or MRE's), you'd probably understand. SOS is creamed chipped beef on
toast; don't let anyone else sell you on this minced beef in bechamel stuff

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> This kind of food is what kept you alive as you walked 8 miles to school,
> through 3 foot snow drifts, wearing nothing but newspapers wrapped around
> your feet.

and uphill both ways!

haha! you had to wear newspaper, we had cardboard in our shoes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>> In article .com>,
>>> My mom made it that way too, along with finely chopped onions, bell
>>> peppers and garlic, then she made a roux with the leftover juice to
>>> make a thick sort of lumpy gray.
>>>
>>> We'd then toast some bread and break it up into a bowl, then pour the
>>> SOS back over it. Add salt and pepper to taste.
>>>
>>> It was wonderful.

>> LOL!!!!! OH Kat.. I can't believe anyone would give such a name to
>> food ))

> It's a military term; if you ever ate military rations (and I'm not
> talking
> c-rats or MRE's), you'd probably understand. SOS is creamed chipped beef
> on
> toast; don't let anyone else sell you on this minced beef in bechamel
> stuff

<G> Well I haven't but my SO has))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"King's Crown" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I watched a cooking show make "Spotted Dick." I thought that sounded
>pretty interesting.
>
> http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mspotteddick.html
>
> Lynne

LOL spotted Dick with custard is heavenly)

http://thefoody.com/pudding/spotteddick.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >> In article .com>,
> >> My mom made it that way too, along with finely chopped onions, bell
> >> peppers and garlic, then she made a roux with the leftover juice to
> >> make a thick sort of lumpy gray.
> >>
> >> We'd then toast some bread and break it up into a bowl, then pour the
> >> SOS back over it. Add salt and pepper to taste.
> >>
> >> It was wonderful.

> > LOL!!!!! OH Kat.. I can't believe anyone would give such a name to
> > food ))

> It's a military term; if you ever ate military rations (and I'm not talking
> c-rats or MRE's), you'd probably understand. SOS is creamed chipped beef on
> toast; don't let anyone else sell you on this minced beef in bechamel stuff

Depends on your "interpretation" of the various variations on the
recipe'. <giggles>

Mine carries a lot of awesome childhood camping memories. ;-)

--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"angel" > wrote:

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
> > This kind of food is what kept you alive as you walked 8 miles to school,
> > through 3 foot snow drifts, wearing nothing but newspapers wrapped around
> > your feet.

> and uphill both ways!
>
> haha! you had to wear newspaper, we had cardboard in our shoes!

Bare feet.
No shoes.

-20 degrees.

Icy hills.

Both ways.

<smirk>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article > ,

> >> Yep

> >> Sausage

> >> No problem))

> > Got anymore? :-)

> Me?

Uh yeah? :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
"King's Crown" > wrote:

> I watched a cooking show make "Spotted Dick." I thought that sounded pretty
> interesting.
>
> http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mspotteddick.html
>
> Lynne

Perfect addition! <lol>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

>> > Got anymore? :-)

>> Me?

> Uh yeah? :-)

LOL probably, but to me they don't sound odd)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

T > wrote in
:

>> Can't think of any others off hand, too tired and need to get some
>> sleep for the day. ;-)

There's always that top o' the line gourmet food of foods... Rocky
Mountain Oysters.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>T > wrote in
> :
>
>>> Can't think of any others off hand, too tired and need to get some
>>> sleep for the day. ;-)

> There's always that top o' the line gourmet food of foods... Rocky
> Mountain Oysters.

Well THAT ain't Scottish <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article > ,

> >> Me?

> > Uh yeah? :-)

> LOL probably, but to me they don't sound odd)

Nacherally! :-)

Pigs in a blanket around here is pretty much the "normal" term.

I'm sure I'll think of others after I get some sleep.

Om -> Trying to make herself go to bed already........
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> T > wrote in
> :
>
> >> Can't think of any others off hand, too tired and need to get some
> >> sleep for the day. ;-)

> There's always that top o' the line gourmet food of foods... Rocky
> Mountain Oysters.
>
> Andy

O' yeah... and "calf fries".

What's the nickname for frog legs?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

>> > Uh yeah? :-)

>> LOL probably, but to me they don't sound odd)

> Nacherally! :-)
>
> Pigs in a blanket around here is pretty much the "normal" term.
>
> I'm sure I'll think of others after I get some sleep.
>
> Om -> Trying to make herself go to bed already........

Well you can have a sip of me G&T if that will
help.....................................

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

>> > Uh yeah? :-)

>> LOL probably, but to me they don't sound odd)

> Nacherally! :-)
>
> Pigs in a blanket around here is pretty much the "normal" term.
>
> I'm sure I'll think of others after I get some sleep.
>
> Om -> Trying to make herself go to bed already........
> --

Might I add Spotted Dick? I think that one is even "worse" than cock a
leekie....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jke" > wrote in message

>>> LOL probably, but to me they don't sound odd)

>> Nacherally! :-)
>>
>> Pigs in a blanket around here is pretty much the "normal" term.
>>
>> I'm sure I'll think of others after I get some sleep.
>>
>> Om -> Trying to make herself go to bed already........
>> --
>>

> Might I add Spotted Dick? I think that one is even "worse" than cock a
> leekie....

Oi!!! nowt wrong wiv spotted dick OR cock a
leeky................................

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Ophelia" > schreef in bericht
k...

>>> Nacherally! :-)
>>>
>>> Pigs in a blanket around here is pretty much the "normal" term.
>>>
>>> I'm sure I'll think of others after I get some sleep.
>>>
>>> Om -> Trying to make herself go to bed already........
>>> --
>>>

>> Might I add Spotted Dick? I think that one is even "worse" than cock a
>> leekie....

> Oi!!! nowt wrong wiv spotted dick OR cock a
> leeky................................

I meant the names, not the recieps I've never had either food, but I
trust they taste good. After all, they're classics.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> LOL probably, but to me they don't sound odd)

> > Nacherally! :-)
> >
> > Pigs in a blanket around here is pretty much the "normal" term.
> >
> > I'm sure I'll think of others after I get some sleep.
> >
> > Om -> Trying to make herself go to bed already........

> Well you can have a sip of me G&T if that will
> help.....................................

<grins>
I have Raspberry vodka...
It's a matter of self discipline. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jke" > wrote:

> >> LOL probably, but to me they don't sound odd)

> > Nacherally! :-)
> >
> > Pigs in a blanket around here is pretty much the "normal" term.
> >
> > I'm sure I'll think of others after I get some sleep.
> >
> > Om -> Trying to make herself go to bed already........
> > --
> >

> Might I add Spotted Dick? I think that one is even "worse" than cock a
> leekie....

So what's a cock a leekie?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>>> It's a military thing... ;-)
>>> Mom and dad met in the Air Force.
>>>
>>> The official name is "cream chipped beef on toast". <G>
>>>
>>> Go figure the nicknames that recipes get assigned sometimes? ;-D
>>>
>>> Might make an interesting thread......
>>>
>>> and I'll bet most of them involve breakfast food!

>> Thanks.... I think LOL

> Ok, so I'll start:
>
> Toad in the hole (Yorkshire pudding with sausage I believe?)
>
> Pigs in a Blanket (sausage or hot dog meatrolls in dough)

I've heard of this, but oddly, my mother called cabbage rolls (ground beef &
pork in cabbage leaves simmered in tomato sauce) "pigs in a blanket".

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> Thanks.... I think LOL

> > Ok, so I'll start:
> >
> > Toad in the hole (Yorkshire pudding with sausage I believe?)
> >
> > Pigs in a Blanket (sausage or hot dog meatrolls in dough)
> >

> I've heard of this, but oddly, my mother called cabbage rolls (ground beef &
> pork in cabbage leaves simmered in tomato sauce) "pigs in a blanket".
>
> Jill

That's new... Thanks!
I happen to like stuffed cabbage, and it's more carb friendly. <G>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

test
"hob" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Sherm Pendley" > wrote in message
> > "JoeSpareBedroom" > writes:
> >

> > > This kind of food is what kept you alive as you walked 8 miles to

> school,
> > > through 3 foot snow drifts, wearing nothing but newspapers wrapped

> around
> > > your feet.

> > You had newspapers? Luxury! When *I* was a kid we walked barefoot.
> >

> uphill, both ways
>
> > sherm--
> >
> > --
> > Web Hosting by West Virginians, for West Virginians: http://wv-www.net
> > Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourceforge.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hob" > writes:

> test

Wrong group. You want alt.test - that's why it's there.

sherm--

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-27, hob > wrote:

> uphill, both ways

....and they kept moving the schoolhouse further away!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:33:14 -0400, Sherm Pendley
> wrote:

>"JoeSpareBedroom" > writes:
>
>> This kind of food is what kept you alive as you walked 8 miles to school,
>> through 3 foot snow drifts, wearing nothing but newspapers wrapped around
>> your feet.

>You had newspapers? Luxury! When *I* was a kid we walked barefoot.
>
>sherm--

You had feet ??

We could only afford inches ! ;o)
<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> Ok, so I'll start:
>>>
>>> Toad in the hole (Yorkshire pudding with sausage I believe?)
>>>
>>> Pigs in a Blanket (sausage or hot dog meatrolls in dough)
>>>

>> I've heard of this, but oddly, my mother called cabbage rolls
>> (ground beef & pork in cabbage leaves simmered in tomato sauce)
>> "pigs in a blanket".
>>
>> Jill

> That's new... Thanks!
> I happen to like stuffed cabbage, and it's more carb friendly. <G>

I love stuffed cabbage leaves. I love cabbage any way

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default s*** on a shingle

Jim Davis wrote:
> Why does everyone insist on spelling out the nasty words in this? My
> grandkids read this newsgroup and I don't think they ought to be exposed
> to the flagrant use of this kind of language.

Then quit letting them read Usenet. This isn't your private little
chat room, ya know. If you want a
nicey-nice-Mary-Sunshine-blow-sugar-out-your-ass newsgroup, migrate to
Yahoo - there are PLENTY of moderated groups there.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in news:1154068247.737075.266550
@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

> Jim Davis wrote:
>> Why does everyone insist on spelling out the nasty words in this? My
>> grandkids read this newsgroup and I don't think they ought to be

exposed
>> to the flagrant use of this kind of language.

> Then quit letting them read Usenet. This isn't your private little
> chat room, ya know. If you want a
> nicey-nice-Mary-Sunshine-blow-sugar-out-your-ass newsgroup, migrate to
> Yahoo - there are PLENTY of moderated groups there.

You're having a *bad* couple of days, aren't you -L :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:
> You're having a *bad* couple of days, aren't you -L :-)

No, Peter, hon - I just hate control freaks.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>>> Nacherally! :-)
>>>
>>> Pigs in a blanket around here is pretty much the "normal" term.
>>>
>>> I'm sure I'll think of others after I get some sleep.
>>>
>>> Om -> Trying to make herself go to bed already........
>>> --
>>>

>> Might I add Spotted Dick? I think that one is even "worse" than cock
>> a leekie....

> So what's a cock a leekie?

Soup

See he

http://www.scotfood.org/recipes/clsoup.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> The official name is "cream chipped beef on toast". <G>
>
> Go figure the nicknames that recipes get assigned sometimes? ;-D

But Om... there are cooks... and there are cooks. Depends on who is
cooking as to what the end result is... which may well be how the
anacronysm became popular!

nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Must admit, there are some dishes my Mum used to make which certainly
looked as though they had been extruded from some orifice I'd rather
not know about!
And my MIL's gravy is utterly disgusting. Wouldn't even put it in the
bin for fear of contaminating the rubbish!! (Lumps and clots of flour
like you would not believe)
So it's really no wonder some nicknames come into being.........

.....and I'd rather not know what nicknames any of my disasters have
been named!
(Only a week ago I made the Hershey's supreme chocolate cake, put it in
a different pan and the thing erupted all over the inside of my
oven............ still tasted ok, what was left that is... but it sure
didn't look pretty. Kids dubbed it Choc Vesuvius... hmmm)

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Davis wrote:
> Why does everyone insist on spelling out the nasty words in this? My
> grandkids read this newsgroup and I don't think they ought to be
> exposed to the flagrant use of this kind of language. Sure they know
> it but hopefully they won't flaunt it in such a manner as used here.
>
> My wife and I were both in the service and learned to like SOS very
> much and still have it at times. Any ex-GI knows what SOS is and
> that is descriptive enough of a term.

I hate to tell you this, but the kidlets are exposed to worse than "cuss
words" on a daily basis. If you don't want them reading this, then don't
let them read it. YOU and their PARENTS are the one in control of the
computer, or aren't you? Maybe you let them run all over you and then worry
about what someone might say to offend them? Controlling little brats, are
they?

Get over it. SOS = Shit on a Shingle. Maybe you should sign them up to
serve in the military; then they can get tough and learn some new words.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-07-27, hob > wrote:
>
>> uphill, both ways
>>

> ...and they kept moving the schoolhouse further away!
>
> nb

Dad wasn't kidding; he used to take a baked potato to school in
Pennsylvania. It was a hot potato and he'd hold it in his gloved hands to
keep himself warm. Then he'd eat it cold for lunch His mom would tuck a
packet of salt in his pocket so at least it wasn't a dull, boring cold baked
potato LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> >> It's a military thing... ;-)
> >> Mom and dad met in the Air Force.
> >>
> >> The official name is "cream chipped beef on toast". <G>
> >>
> >> Go figure the nicknames that recipes get assigned sometimes? ;-D
> >>
> >> Might make an interesting thread......
> >>
> >> and I'll bet most of them involve breakfast food!

> > Thanks.... I think LOL
> >

> The military has cockamamie nicknames for every damned thing.

You should hear some of the things FBS calls food items after being a mess
specialist in the Navy.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > > Ok, so I'll start:
> > >
> > > Toad in the hole (Yorkshire pudding with sausage I believe?)
> > >
> > > Pigs in a Blanket (sausage or hot dog meatrolls in dough)
> > >

> > I've heard of this, but oddly, my mother called cabbage rolls (ground

beef &
> > pork in cabbage leaves simmered in tomato sauce) "pigs in a blanket".
> >
> > Jill

> That's new... Thanks!
> I happen to like stuffed cabbage, and it's more carb friendly. <G>
> --
> Peace!
> Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

Then you would like 'Bubble and Squeak' a fry up of cabbage and potatoes. I
once asked the origin of the name and was told if you eat that much cabbage
that is what your insides would do.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Ok, so I'll start:
>
> Toad in the hole (Yorkshire pudding with sausage I believe?)
>
> Pigs in a Blanket (sausage or hot dog meatrolls in dough)
>
> Can't think of any others off hand, too tired and need to get some sleep
> for the day. ;-)
> --

Spotted Dick
Fly Cakes
Shoofly Pie
Bubble and Squeak
Galloping Horses
Poor Knights
Lips of the Beauty
Hushpuppies
Trifle
Angel's Double Chin
Turtles
Baked Alaska
Monkey Bread
Nun's Breasts
Flannelcakes
Hoppin' John
Burgoo
Tote Oma (Dead Granny)
S'Mores
Bangers
Dublin Lawyer
Angel's on Horseback
Flummery
Star-gazy Pit
Love in Disguise
Twice Laid
Singin' Hinnies
Solomon Grundy
Petticoat Tails

Many mixed drinks have unusual names, too numerous to
mention, but gotta mention my favorite, the Blowjob.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”