Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

Default Shit On A Shingle

Do any of you upper-middle-aged Korean War Jar-Heads remember if SOS was
chipped beef on toast or ground beef on toast?????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-07-24, > wrote:
> Do any of you upper-middle-aged Korean War Jar-Heads remember if SOS was
> chipped beef on toast or ground beef on toast?????

Anyone who is a Korean war vet is way beyond middle aged.

I'm Vietnam era vet (USAF) and we had ground beef in our SOS.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Do any of you upper-middle-aged Korean War Jar-Heads remember if SOS
> was chipped beef on toast or ground beef on toast?????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipped_beef
http://dictionary.reference.com/brow...t+on+a+shingle
http://www.ichiban1.org/html/game_pages/sos.htm
http://www.usslittlerock.org/Navy_Re...l#Chipped_Beef
http://www.manmeetsstove.com/2010/09...7-shit-on.html
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipe...ast-1000000040

I rember that the meat used for SOS was either dried chipped beef or
hamburger, depending on whether or not proper refrigeration existed and the
availibility of hamburger. My guess would be that the original recipe would
call for the dried beef due to the sporadic nature of fresh meat supplies.
--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."--------

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-07-24, Dora > wrote:

> My husband was a WWII vet and it was ground beef on toast. This
> argument has been going on for years on here.

Yeah. I thought we'd long ago concluded that if it was land based
chow halls, you'd get ground beef and if it was shipboard, you'd get
chipped beef, cuz of long period storage issues. I wish we had gotten
chipped beef. I probably would have eaten it.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Do any of you upper-middle-aged Korean War Jar-Heads remember if SOS was
> chipped beef on toast or ground beef on toast?????

Chipped beef. Usually from a can that was packed in the early 30s.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-07-25, Don Martinich > wrote:

> of beans, rice, and spaghetti washed down with koolaid.

Yikes. We ate better than that when I was stationed in Libya NA, and
hadda eat powdered eggs and drink powdered milk. Really bad powdered
milk. :P

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 17:53:23 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

> Ground beef with tomato sauce on toast is "miscarriage on
> toast" to the best of my recollection.

I thought that was the British version.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Jul 2011 23:34:08 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2011-07-24, George Shirley > wrote:
>
> > toast" to the best of my recollection. Haven't seen chipped beef for
> > sale in the stores in years now.

> Look on top shelf, canned meats (tuna, etc), in a glass jar.
> Stouffer's also makes a nukable/boilpouch creamed chipped beef.

The last time I got sentimental and tried Stouffer's (way too long
ago)... it was okay, not great, and way too salty. I'll look again
for chipped beef in a jar, but I didn't find it the when I looked for
it a few years ago. I saw something that looked like composite
"chipped beef" and the stuff in plastic pouches just didn't taste like
I remembered.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news | In article >,
| ( ) wrote:
|
| > Do any of you upper-middle-aged Korean War Jar-Heads remember if SOS was
| > chipped beef on toast or ground beef on toast?????
|
| Both my parents were Korean War vets (USAF) and it was ground beef.
| Mom made it here at home for us as well. I wish she'd written down the
| recipe!
| --
| Peace, Om

This is extremely close to the real (not the Navy menu guide) Marine Corps
recipe for SOS. It adds the necessary garlic, onion and Worcestershi
a.. 1 lb ground beef
b.. 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
c.. 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
d.. 1 cup beef broth
e.. 1/2 cup evaporated milk
f.. salt and pepper
g.. 1 teaspoon onion powder
h.. 1 teaspoon garlic powder
i.. 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Brown the ground beef in a medium skillet over medium-high
heat, until meat is no longer pink. Drain excess fat and set aside.

2 Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium
high heat. Slowly add the flour, stirring constantly, to form a brown roux.

3 Pour in beef broth and milk, mixing well. Add ground beef, then season
with salt and pepper to taste, onion powder, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce.

4 mix well and simmer for 5-10 mins, until desired thickness is reached.
Spread over a piece of toast

Many other variants exist, of course. Give this a try, though.
Adjust the last 3 ingredients to your taste, of course.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 10:57*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 24-Jul-2011, George Shirley > wrote:
>
> > Haven't seen chipped beef for
> > sale in the stores in years now.

> Look in the grocery aisle with Spam and other canned meats; look for Armour
> or Hormel brand of Sliced Dried Beef,
>
> I always have a jar in my pantry 'cause sometimes creamed chipped beef on
> something (biscuit, toast, poured over scrambled eggs, etc) is just what the
> day needs to get off to a good start. * I buy it in the little jars that can
> be reused as juice glasses, not the vacuum foil pack; of course, I have way
> too many of the little glasses cluttering up the cabinets.
>
> Soaking in a water bath for half-an-hour or so pulls the saltiness down to a
> reasonable level.

Why would anyone feel nostalgic about crappy food they had to eat in a
war zone?

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 24-Jul-2011, George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Haven't seen chipped beef for
>> sale in the stores in years now.

> Look in the grocery aisle with Spam and other canned meats; look for
> Armour
> or Hormel brand of Sliced Dried Beef,
>
> I always have a jar in my pantry 'cause sometimes creamed chipped beef on
> something (biscuit, toast, poured over scrambled eggs, etc) is just what
> the
> day needs to get off to a good start. I buy it in the little jars that
> can
> be reused as juice glasses, not the vacuum foil pack; of course, I have
> way
> too many of the little glasses cluttering up the cabinets.
>
> Soaking in a water bath for half-an-hour or so pulls the saltiness down to
> reasonable level.

When I was a kid, Welch's jelly came in jars that could be reused as juice
glasses. We had tons!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-07-25, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jc...n_l/L05200.pdf

It don't get any more basic than that.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-07-25, l, not -l > wrote:

> Kraft makes several varieties of cheese spread that come in a 4 ounce
> "juice" glass. Though I haven't seen them in local (STL) grocers in quite
> a while.......

Still being made and sold. It had been so long since I'd run across
the pineapple flavored version, in any CA stores, I thought they'd
discontinued that one flavor. Nope. I found it here in CO.
Unfortunately, at about $2.50 for 4 oz, it's absurdly overpriced, no
matter where you find it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2011-07-25, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
> > http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jc...ection_l/L0520
> > 0.pdf

> It don't get any more basic than that.

Bryan will like this one. 1.5 pounds of margarine!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

( ) wrote in
:

> Do any of you upper-middle-aged Korean War Jar-Heads remember
> if SOS was chipped beef on toast or ground beef on toast?????

Stephen Ambrose, in Band of Brothers, says it was chipped beef:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shit_On_a_Shingle#U.S.
_military_cuisine

http://tinyurl.com/3m4rp26

Note that Chuck Palahniuk confirms it was chipped beef for the US
Navy as well.

--

"War is the terrorism of the rich and powerful and
terrorism is the war of the poor and powerless."

Peter Ustinov
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 21:12:14 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> Why would anyone feel nostalgic about crappy food they had to eat in a
> war zone?

Because creamed chipped beef isn't crappy. It was a favorite treat
that my grandmother made for lunch occasionally.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> Why would anyone feel nostalgic about crappy food they had to eat in a
> war zone?

High emotional intensity tends to plant memories more firmly. What I
remember from Navy boot camp or the freshman dorms has to pale in
comparison to being out in combat hearing the gun shots then coming in
from the field to your own native cuisine no matter how crappy.

It's like comfort food being what we had as kids no matter how good or
bad, but with extra intensity traded for extra duration.

Boot camp food - Sausage gravy over eggs. I don't recall having gravy
with breakfast in the northeast where I grew up so it was a new
experience for me. Did they do a good job of sausage gravy? Not
usually but it did vary week to week. Nostalgic? Yes. Then again the
first time I ever tasted a lobster was at boot camp.

Freshman dorms - "hockey pucks". Lousy burgers covered with crappy
gravy beside mashed spuds and canned veggies. Good? No. Nostalgic?
Yes.

Years later I still like better quality versions of these dishes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 24, 2:44*pm, ( ) wrote:
> Do any of you upper-middle-aged Korean War Jar-Heads remember if SOS was
> chipped beef on toast or ground beef on toast?????

We had SOS in my house as a kid. It was chipped beef. I always
liked it.

My current favorite though has no beef in it at all.

Make a bechemel sauce (I call it white sauce) with lots of butter,
salt and pepper.
Soft boil a couple of eggs so that the yolks are still quite soft, or
used poached eggs cooked
to your preferred doneness level. Slice or place those eggs over a
piece of toasted
bread ( I prefer a thick hearty whole grain bread) and top with the
bechemel sauce.

This is suprisingly yummy !!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> Make a bechemel sauce (I call it white sauce) with lots of butter,
> salt and pepper.
> Soft boil a couple of eggs so that the yolks are still quite soft,
> or
> used poached eggs cooked
> to your preferred doneness level. Slice or place those eggs over
> piece of toasted
> bread ( I prefer a thick hearty whole grain bread) and top with the
> bechemel sauce.
>
> This is suprisingly yummy !!

Creamed eggs. Delicious. Just as good with chunks of hard-boiled
eggs, too.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 25, 1:23*pm, "Dora" > wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>
> > Make a bechemel sauce (I call it white sauce) with lots of butter,
> > salt and pepper.
> > Soft boil a couple of eggs so that the yolks are still quite soft,
> > or
> > used poached eggs cooked
> > to your preferred doneness level. * *Slice or place *those eggs over
> > piece of toasted
> > bread ( I prefer a thick hearty whole grain bread) and top with the
> > bechemel sauce.

> > This is suprisingly yummy !!

> Creamed eggs. *Delicious. *Just as good with chunks of hard-boiled
> eggs, too.
>
> Dora

Haven't had that in ages...now I'm hungry for it. OH well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 19:30:32 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> After months of
> eating only canned peaches, pears and fruit cocktail, that chilled
> watermelon was a slice of heaven.

I bet it was!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-07-25, ImStillMags > wrote:

> Soft boil a couple of eggs so that the yolks are still quite soft, or
> used poached eggs cooked
> to your preferred doneness level. Slice or place those eggs over a
> piece of toasted
> bread ( I prefer a thick hearty whole grain bread) and top with the
> bechemel sauce.

Redneck Benedict!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 11:25*am, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *notbob > wrote:
> > On 2011-07-25, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> > >http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jc...cipes/section_....
> > > 0.pdf

> > It don't get any more basic than that.

> Bryan will like this one. *1.5 pounds of margarine!

That's probably an old document from before anyone recognized the
unhealthiness of margarine. Because of the chipped beef and powdered
milk, one should expect the stuff to taste like "shit" anyway. My
boss used to work on the barges on the Mississippi River, and even
went at least once on a merchant ship that went through the Straits of
Magellan. It was absurdly hard physical work, but he said that the
food was great. If you wanted a big ol' porterhouse, that's what you
got. The food and the pay were great. Everything else was awful.
I knew another guy who worked the barges straight out of high school.
He'd be away for months, then come back to live at his parents' house
for a few weeks. When he was home he'd have the best weed, but
otherwise lived very modestly. After a few years, he bought a nice
house and car with cash, and got some kind of regular job, but owned a
house and some kind of muscle car (maybe a GTO) outright, with no
payments. He said from the start that he was going to do exactly
that. Back in the 1970s, barge workers had horrible working
conditions, but there was no Shit on a Shingle. You might lose a
digit, a limb or even your life, but you ate like a rich man.

> --
> Dan Abel

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 2:54*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Jul 24, 2:44*pm, ( ) wrote:
>
> > Do any of you upper-middle-aged Korean War Jar-Heads remember if SOS was
> > chipped beef on toast or ground beef on toast?????

> We had SOS in my house as a kid. * It was chipped beef. * I always
> liked it.
>
> My current favorite though has no beef in it at all.
>
> Make a bechemel sauce (I call it white sauce) with lots of butter,
> salt and pepper.
> Soft boil a couple of eggs so that the yolks are still quite soft, or
> used poached eggs cooked
> to your preferred doneness level. * *Slice or place *those eggs over a
> piece of toasted
> bread ( I prefer a thick hearty whole grain bread) and top with the
> bechemel sauce.
>
> This is suprisingly yummy !!

Why surprisingly? What you described bears little resemblance to
SOaS.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 2:30*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 25-Jul-2011, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 21:12:14 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > > wrote:

> > > Why would anyone feel nostalgic about crappy food they had to eat in a
> > > war zone?

> > Because creamed chipped beef isn't crappy. *It was a favorite treat
> > that my grandmother made for lunch occasionally.

> One man's crappy is another man's ambrosia. *Bryan obviously has no concept
> of what life is like in a war zone.

That is very true. I lived on the street in StL in the winter, but
that's *nothing* compared to a war zone. I'd have chosen prison over
service in Vietnam, and not out of cowardice. It was a completely
unnecessary war, and if not for that war, I believe the Lyndon Johnson
would have been a great president. He still might have lost in 1968
because the GOP would have branded him as "soft on Communism," and
anyway, the Southern Strategy would have cost him most of the Southern
states.

>*Simple things can bring so much
> pleasure when one has been deprived of basics. *A hot meal of SOS is mighty
> tasty after many days of cold or barely warmed C-rations (canned meals).

I once described enjoying cold chicken hot dogs immensely, after a
long, cold kayak trip. I don't have a positive, nostalgic feeling
toward foods that I ate in desperation.

> One of the best things I ate in Vietnam was a watermelon; many months into
> my tour of duty I saw my first, and only, watermelon in Vietnam. *I paid
> half a months pay for it; then, bartered half of it to the cook in exchange
> for him putting it in the mess hall ice chest to chill. * After months of
> eating only canned peaches, pears and fruit cocktail, that chilled
> watermelon was a slice of heaven.

And I can see loving watermelon, because that is good to begin with.
I think there's reason to believe that if there had been a stable VC
government in Vietnam throughout the preceding decade, that the
Vietnamese would never have allowed the Khmer Rouge to have committed
their crimes, and would have been strong enough to do so. The Soviets
were bad, but Pol Pot's Maoism squared was exponentially worse, and a
Soviet allied Vietnam would have been far preferable to what ended up
happening. Hindsight? Of course, but the Chinese Cultural Revolution
ideology was far more heinous than anything the Soviets did, and had
its ultimate expression of evil in Cambodia, and together, the USA and
USSR--who both thought Maoism was nutty--could have stabilized SE
Asia, and prevented at least some of the atrocities. For all
Brezhnev's faults, he wasn't a nutcase, and the USA's embrace of the
Gang of Four government in a *my enemy's enemy is my friend* is often
looked at as a great accomplishment. Brezhnev was a misguided tyrant
in that he was the head of a tyrannical regime. The Gang of Four were
evil.

The lives lost, the damage done to American veterans, and the cost of
running the Vietnam Conflict were plainly not worth it.

Communism is no threat, kids. Extreme planned economies fall of their
own inefficiencies, whether or not they are nasty brutes. Nations
with civil liberties win, but the ones who find a good balance between
extreme laissez-faire Capitalism and regulation/standardization/
economic and monetary policies that provide for nearly full
employment, and the protection of the less economically savvy against
what I see as outright theft by the Upper Class are most successful.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news | In article >,
| "pavane" > wrote:
|
| > "Omelet" > wrote in message
| > news | > | In article >,
| > | ( ) wrote:
| > |
| > |
| > | Both my parents were Korean War vets (USAF) and it was ground beef.
| > | Mom made it here at home for us as well. I wish she'd written down the
| > | recipe!
| > | --
| > | Peace, Om
| >
| > This is extremely close to the real (not the Navy menu guide) Marine Corps
| > recipe for SOS. It adds the necessary garlic, onion and Worcestershi
| > a.. 1 lb ground beef
| > b.. 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
| > c.. 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
| > d.. 1 cup beef broth
| > e.. 1/2 cup evaporated milk
| > f.. salt and pepper
| > g.. 1 teaspoon onion powder
| > h.. 1 teaspoon garlic powder
| > i.. 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
| > 1 Brown the ground beef in a medium skillet over medium-high
| > heat, until meat is no longer pink. Drain excess fat and set aside.
| >
| > 2 Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium
| > high heat. Slowly add the flour, stirring constantly, to form a brown roux.
| >
| > 3 Pour in beef broth and milk, mixing well. Add ground beef, then season
| > with salt and pepper to taste, onion powder, garlic powder and Worcestershire
| > sauce.
| >
| > 4 mix well and simmer for 5-10 mins, until desired thickness is reached.
| > Spread over a piece of toast
| >
| > Many other variants exist, of course. Give this a try, though.
| > Adjust the last 3 ingredients to your taste, of course.
| >
| > pavane
|
| Thanks for the recipe, but you forgot the fresh chopped onions and
| minced bell pepper... <sighs>
|
| Om -> missing mom's SOS!
| --
| Peace, Om

Yeah, I cut the bell pepper because I don't like it in Haut Cuisine
like this; the onions are represented by the Onion Powder, of
course. Hey, Om, gimme a break. I really don't like green bell
peppers, either in this or in chili or ...

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 23:41:25 -0400, "pavane"
> wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news > | In article >,
> | "pavane" > wrote:
> |
> | > "Omelet" > wrote in message
> | > news > | > | In article >,
> | > |
> | > |

> | > This is extremely close to the real (not the Navy menu guide) Marine Corps
> | > recipe for SOS. It adds the necessary garlic, onion and Worcestershi
> | > a.. 1 lb ground beef
> | > b.. 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
> | > c.. 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
> | > d.. 1 cup beef broth
> | > e.. 1/2 cup evaporated milk
> | > f.. salt and pepper
> | > g.. 1 teaspoon onion powder
> | > h.. 1 teaspoon garlic powder
> | > i.. 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
> | > 1 Brown the ground beef in a medium skillet over medium-high
> | > heat, until meat is no longer pink. Drain excess fat and set aside.
> | >
> | > 2 Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium
> | > high heat. Slowly add the flour, stirring constantly, to form a brown roux.
> | >
> | > 3 Pour in beef broth and milk, mixing well. Add ground beef, then season
> | > with salt and pepper to taste, onion powder, garlic powder and Worcestershire
> | > sauce.
> | >
> | > 4 mix well and simmer for 5-10 mins, until desired thickness is reached.
> | > Spread over a piece of toast
> | >
> | > Many other variants exist, of course. Give this a try, though.
> | > Adjust the last 3 ingredients to your taste, of course.
> | >
> | > pavane
> |
> | Thanks for the recipe, but you forgot the fresh chopped onions and
> | minced bell pepper... <sighs>
> |
> | Om -> missing mom's SOS!
> | --
> | Peace, Om
>
> Yeah, I cut the bell pepper because I don't like it in Haut Cuisine
> like this; the onions are represented by the Onion Powder, of
> course. Hey, Om, gimme a break. I really don't like green bell
> peppers, either in this or in chili or ...

FWIW, I've never heard of bell pepper OR onion in something like
creamed chipped beef. Must be a southern thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 23:41:25 -0400, "pavane"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news >> | In article >,

>> | > |
>> SOS was
>> | > |
>> the

>> Corps
>> Worcestershi

>> roux.

>> season
>> Worcestershire

>> reached.

>> | Thanks for the recipe, but you forgot the fresh chopped onions and
>> | minced bell pepper... <sighs>
>> |
>> | Om -> missing mom's SOS!
>> | --
>> | Peace, Om
>>
>> Yeah, I cut the bell pepper because I don't like it in Haut Cuisine
>> like this; the onions are represented by the Onion Powder, of
>> course. Hey, Om, gimme a break. I really don't like green bell
>> peppers, either in this or in chili or ...
>>

> FWIW, I've never heard of bell pepper OR onion in something like
> creamed chipped beef. Must be a southern thing.

I haven't either but I do put onion in hamburger gravy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> Thanks for the recipe, but you forgot the fresh chopped onions and
>>| minced bell pepper... <sighs>
>>
>> Yeah, I cut the bell pepper because I don't like it in Haut Cuisine
>> like this; the onions are represented by the Onion Powder, of
>> course. Hey, Om, gimme a break. I really don't like green bell
>> peppers, either in this or in chili or ...
>>

> FWIW, I've never heard of bell pepper OR onion in something like
> creamed chipped beef. Must be a southern thing.

The recipe above isn't creamed chipped beef. It isn't even *close* to
creamed chipped beef.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
-snip-

>FWIW, I've never heard of bell pepper OR onion in something like
>creamed chipped beef. Must be a southern thing.

I was thinking it must be a new-age thing. It's *fuel*, not gourmet.
Fat, flour, milk & meat. [and a ton of salt if you use ground beef]
You can 'fancy it up' when it gets to your plate with enough pepper to
balance the salt. Done.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 22:58:06 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> The recipe above isn't creamed chipped beef. It isn't even *close* to
> creamed chipped beef.

It's somebody's gourmet version.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 22:58:06 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
> > The recipe above isn't creamed chipped beef. It isn't even *close* to
> > creamed chipped beef.

> It's somebody's gourmet version.

Really? Who thinks that substituting hamburger for the meat in a recipe
makes it gourmet?

:-)

--
Dan Abel