Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you do with turnips?

I had occasion to consult Cook's Illustrated's _Perfect Vegetables_ today on
what to do with turnips. I got two big turnips in my CSA box last week and
I'm not sure what to do with them. I've gotten turnips twice before. The
first time I pickled them; the second time I marinated them in yogurt,
pan-fried them, then simmered them in a spiced yogurt sauce. Both
treatments were okay, but nothing to elicit tears of joy. _Perfect
Vegetables_ lists rutabagas and turnips together, but then gives rutabagas a
LOT more attention than turnips. It recommends roasting turnips as an
accompaniment to meats. It recommends mashing rutabagas, and has this
comment about turnips: "The flavor is peppery, almost like horseradish, to
which it is also related . . . [Mashed] white turnips were harsh and
overpowering."

Well, that got me to thinking: If mashed white turnips were strongly
horseradish-like, wouldn't that be a GOOD thing if you were to serve it with
something which pairs well with horseradish, like roast beef? And couldn't
other complementary flavors be found?

Here's what I'm considering, and I'd appreciate comments from any turnip
veterans out the I want to peel, cube, and steam a softball-sized turnip,
then purée it with Bloody Mary flavors, e.g., tomato juice, celery salt,
cayenne, and Worcestershire sauce. I'd use that as a side dish for a grilled
steak.

Can anybody think of a reason this WOULDN'T work?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>I had occasion to consult Cook's Illustrated's _Perfect Vegetables_ today
>on
> what to do with turnips. I got two big turnips in my CSA box last week and
> I'm not sure what to do with them. I've gotten turnips twice before. The
> first time I pickled them; the second time I marinated them in yogurt,
> pan-fried them, then simmered them in a spiced yogurt sauce. Both
> treatments were okay, but nothing to elicit tears of joy. _Perfect
> Vegetables_ lists rutabagas and turnips together, but then gives rutabagas
> LOT more attention than turnips. It recommends roasting turnips as an
> accompaniment to meats. It recommends mashing rutabagas, and has this
> comment about turnips: "The flavor is peppery, almost like horseradish, to
> which it is also related . . . [Mashed] white turnips were harsh and
> overpowering."
>
> Well, that got me to thinking: If mashed white turnips were strongly
> horseradish-like, wouldn't that be a GOOD thing if you were to serve it
> with
> something which pairs well with horseradish, like roast beef? And couldn't
> other complementary flavors be found?
>
> Here's what I'm considering, and I'd appreciate comments from any turnip
> veterans out the I want to peel, cube, and steam a softball-sized
> turnip,
> then purée it with Bloody Mary flavors, e.g., tomato juice, celery salt,
> cayenne, and Worcestershire sauce. I'd use that as a side dish for a
> grilled
> steak.
>
> Can anybody think of a reason this WOULDN'T work?
>
> Bob

I've made this recipe, and I liked it a lot. (I grew up thinking I didn't
like turnips.)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_5038,00.html

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>I had occasion to consult Cook's Illustrated's _Perfect Vegetables_ today
>on
> what to do with turnips. I got two big turnips in my CSA box last week and
> I'm not sure what to do with them. I've gotten turnips twice before. The
> first time I pickled them; the second time I marinated them in yogurt,
> pan-fried them, then simmered them in a spiced yogurt sauce. Both
> treatments were okay, but nothing to elicit tears of joy. _Perfect
> Vegetables_ lists rutabagas and turnips together, but then gives rutabagas
> LOT more attention than turnips. It recommends roasting turnips as an
> accompaniment to meats. It recommends mashing rutabagas, and has this
> comment about turnips: "The flavor is peppery, almost like horseradish, to
> which it is also related . . . [Mashed] white turnips were harsh and
> overpowering."
>
> Well, that got me to thinking: If mashed white turnips were strongly
> horseradish-like, wouldn't that be a GOOD thing if you were to serve it
> with
> something which pairs well with horseradish, like roast beef? And couldn't
> other complementary flavors be found?
>
> Here's what I'm considering, and I'd appreciate comments from any turnip
> veterans out the I want to peel, cube, and steam a softball-sized
> turnip,
> then purée it with Bloody Mary flavors, e.g., tomato juice, celery salt,
> cayenne, and Worcestershire sauce. I'd use that as a side dish for a
> grilled
> steak.
>
> Can anybody think of a reason this WOULDN'T work?
>
> Bob

I like to steam an occasional turnip with potatoes & mash them both
together, liked mashed potatoes. Adds a tang to the spuds. Your suggestion
sounds good also.

Harriet & critters

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 18 Jul 2006 06:08:01p, Bob Terwilliger meant to say...

> I had occasion to consult Cook's Illustrated's _Perfect Vegetables_
> today on what to do with turnips. I got two big turnips in my CSA box
> last week and I'm not sure what to do with them. I've gotten turnips
> twice before. The first time I pickled them; the second time I marinated
> them in yogurt, pan-fried them, then simmered them in a spiced yogurt
> sauce. Both treatments were okay, but nothing to elicit tears of joy.
> _Perfect Vegetables_ lists rutabagas and turnips together, but then
> gives rutabagas a LOT more attention than turnips. It recommends
> roasting turnips as an accompaniment to meats. It recommends mashing
> rutabagas, and has this comment about turnips: "The flavor is peppery,
> almost like horseradish, to which it is also related . . . [Mashed]
> white turnips were harsh and overpowering."
>
> Well, that got me to thinking: If mashed white turnips were strongly
> horseradish-like, wouldn't that be a GOOD thing if you were to serve it
> with something which pairs well with horseradish, like roast beef? And
> couldn't other complementary flavors be found?
>
> Here's what I'm considering, and I'd appreciate comments from any turnip
> veterans out the I want to peel, cube, and steam a softball-sized
> turnip, then purée it with Bloody Mary flavors, e.g., tomato juice,
> celery salt, cayenne, and Worcestershire sauce. I'd use that as a side
> dish for a grilled steak.
>
> Can anybody think of a reason this WOULDN'T work?

Sure it would work, but it depends on how you want it to taste. I prefer
white turnips either whole (if smallish) or cut in largish chunks, boiled,
then seasoned simply with butter, salt, and pepper. -OR- Roasted with a
pot roast or put in beef stew.

Rutabagas I prefer cut in cubes, boiled 'til tender, then mashed with a
little bacon fat, salt, and pepper, and a few hot pepper flakes.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Racial prejudice is a pigment of the imagination.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sorry, compost heap. Turnips and kohlrabi are two vegetables I just
can't stand.
Rutabagas, OTOH, aren't bad, mashed with butter, salt & pepper. They
taste kind of sweet.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rich provided:

> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_5038,00.html

Thanks, Rich! Weird thing about that recipe, it specifies an oven-proof
sauté pan, but then the pan doesn't go into the oven.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> I had occasion to consult Cook's Illustrated's _Perfect Vegetables_ today on
> what to do with turnips. I got two big turnips in my CSA box last week and
> I'm not sure what to do with them. I've gotten turnips twice before. The
> first time I pickled them; the second time I marinated them in yogurt,
> pan-fried them, then simmered them in a spiced yogurt sauce. Both
> treatments were okay, but nothing to elicit tears of joy. _Perfect
> Vegetables_ lists rutabagas and turnips together, but then gives rutabagas a
> LOT more attention than turnips. It recommends roasting turnips as an
> accompaniment to meats. It recommends mashing rutabagas, and has this
> comment about turnips: "The flavor is peppery, almost like horseradish, to
> which it is also related . . . [Mashed] white turnips were harsh and
> overpowering."
>
> Well, that got me to thinking: If mashed white turnips were strongly
> horseradish-like, wouldn't that be a GOOD thing if you were to serve it with
> something which pairs well with horseradish, like roast beef? And couldn't
> other complementary flavors be found?
>
> Here's what I'm considering, and I'd appreciate comments from any turnip
> veterans out the I want to peel, cube, and steam a softball-sized turnip,
> then purée it with Bloody Mary flavors, e.g., tomato juice, celery salt,
> cayenne, and Worcestershire sauce. I'd use that as a side dish for a grilled
> steak.
>
> Can anybody think of a reason this WOULDN'T work?

My dad's a big fan of turnips. In fact, he has some growing in his
garden right now. He usually cooks them the same way as potatoes. When
my mom makes chicken noodle soup, she usually throws in a cup or two of
diced turnips in the soup and it adds a nice flavor. Other than in soup,
I am not much of a turnip fan though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Well, that got me to thinking: If mashed white turnips were strongly
> horseradish-like, wouldn't that be a GOOD thing if you were to serve it

with
> something which pairs well with horseradish, like roast beef? And couldn't
> other complementary flavors be found?

Norwegian homesteaders in rural and remote BC will eat grass fed beef or
home raised pork, mashed potatoes and mashed carrots-and-rutabagas 363 days
a year. Christmas and Thanksgiving they might substitute a bird for the
beef or pork.

~R~

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Rich provided:
>
>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_5038,00.html

> Thanks, Rich! Weird thing about that recipe, it specifies an oven-proof
> sauté pan, but then the pan doesn't go into the oven.

It did when he made it on TV; and when I made it, too.

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rich wrote:

>>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_5038,00.html

>> Thanks, Rich! Weird thing about that recipe, it specifies an oven-proof
>> sauté pan, but then the pan doesn't go into the oven.

> It did when he made it on TV; and when I made it, too.

OK, here's the recipe. How should it be modified to include going into the
oven?

2 pounds turnips, cleaned and quartered
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon paprika
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Season turnips with salt and pepper. In a large oven-proof saute pan, heat
butter until starting to brown. Add turnips and toss to coat well. Add poppy
seeds and saute until light golden brown, about 8 to 9 minutes. Add paprika
and toss to coat. Add vinegar and cook until evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes,
remove from heat and serve.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> Thanks, Rich! Weird thing about that recipe, it specifies an oven-proof
>>> sauté pan, but then the pan doesn't go into the oven.

>> It did when he made it on TV; and when I made it, too.

> OK, here's the recipe. How should it be modified to include going into the
> oven?
>
> 2 pounds turnips, cleaned and quartered
> Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
> 1 tablespoon paprika
> 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
>
> Season turnips with salt and pepper. In a large oven-proof saute pan, heat
> butter until starting to brown. Add turnips and toss to coat well. Add
> poppy
> seeds and saute until light golden brown, about 8 to 9 minutes. Add
> paprika
> and toss to coat. Add vinegar and cook until evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes,
> remove from heat and serve.

Change "remove from heat and serve" to "place pan into 350f oven until
turnips test tender with a knife point. Plate and serve." At least that's
how Mario did it on "Molto Mario." When I did it, the oven time was about
fifteen minutes.

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Just yesterday, I saw a recipe where root veggeis were used to line a pan
that was then filled with cooked lentils, wheat, onions and other
flavorings. Then it was topped with moer root veggies and proabaly cheese or
bechamel and baked. Sounded good to me.

I read it in a bookstore, so I'm afraid I don't have the details for you.
But the method is worth a try, IMHO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rich wrote on 18 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> >> It did when he made it on TV; and when I made it, too.

> > OK, here's the recipe. How should it be modified to include going
> > into the oven?
> >
> > 2 pounds turnips, cleaned and quartered
> > Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
> > 4 tablespoons butter
> > 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
> > 1 tablespoon paprika
> > 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
> >
> > Season turnips with salt and pepper. In a large oven-proof saute
> > pan, heat butter until starting to brown. Add turnips and toss to
> > coat well. Add poppy
> > seeds and saute until light golden brown, about 8 to 9 minutes. Add
> > paprika
> > and toss to coat. Add vinegar and cook until evaporated, 4 to 5
> > minutes, remove from heat and serve.

> Change "remove from heat and serve" to "place pan into 350f oven until
> turnips test tender with a knife point. Plate and serve." At least
> that's how Mario did it on "Molto Mario." When I did it, the oven time
> was about fifteen minutes.
>
> --Rich

In which case I'd forgo the vinegar evaportation prior to the oven
insertion. If 12 to 15 minutes frying does cook the turnips, the oven
cooking would be over kill. So let the vinegar evaporate in the oven.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I was interested to read the answers given by others in this thread.
The only way I've ever used turnips (both swede and plain) is to chop
them into coarse dice and chuck them into a stew (beef or lamb) with
the spuds, carrots, parsnip, ...

In article >, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:
>I had occasion to consult Cook's Illustrated's _Perfect Vegetables_ today on
>what to do with turnips. I got two big turnips in my CSA box last week and
>I'm not sure what to do with them. I've gotten turnips twice before. The
>first time I pickled them; the second time I marinated them in yogurt,
>pan-fried them, then simmered them in a spiced yogurt sauce. Both
>treatments were okay, but nothing to elicit tears of joy. _Perfect
>Vegetables_ lists rutabagas and turnips together, but then gives rutabagas a
>LOT more attention than turnips. It recommends roasting turnips as an
>accompaniment to meats. It recommends mashing rutabagas, and has this
>comment about turnips: "The flavor is peppery, almost like horseradish, to
>which it is also related . . . [Mashed] white turnips were harsh and
>overpowering."
>
>Well, that got me to thinking: If mashed white turnips were strongly
>horseradish-like, wouldn't that be a GOOD thing if you were to serve it with
>something which pairs well with horseradish, like roast beef? And couldn't
>other complementary flavors be found?
>
>Here's what I'm considering, and I'd appreciate comments from any turnip
>veterans out the I want to peel, cube, and steam a softball-sized turnip,
>then purée it with Bloody Mary flavors, e.g., tomato juice, celery salt,
>cayenne, and Worcestershire sauce. I'd use that as a side dish for a grilled
>steak.
>
>Can anybody think of a reason this WOULDN'T work?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I love turnip.
I usually use it in the winter, and think of it as a winter vegetable. I
use it in my beef stews cut into cubes or I just cut it up and boil it like
potatoes and mash it and season it with salt and pepper and butter. I have
also tasted it mixed with mashed potatoes.
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> I had occasion to consult Cook's Illustrated's _Perfect Vegetables_ today

on
> what to do with turnips. I got two big turnips in my CSA box last week and
> I'm not sure what to do with them. I've gotten turnips twice before. The
> first time I pickled them; the second time I marinated them in yogurt,
> pan-fried them, then simmered them in a spiced yogurt sauce. Both
> treatments were okay, but nothing to elicit tears of joy. _Perfect
> Vegetables_ lists rutabagas and turnips together, but then gives rutabagas

> LOT more attention than turnips. It recommends roasting turnips as an
> accompaniment to meats. It recommends mashing rutabagas, and has this
> comment about turnips: "The flavor is peppery, almost like horseradish, to
> which it is also related . . . [Mashed] white turnips were harsh and
> overpowering."
>
> Well, that got me to thinking: If mashed white turnips were strongly
> horseradish-like, wouldn't that be a GOOD thing if you were to serve it

with
> something which pairs well with horseradish, like roast beef? And couldn't
> other complementary flavors be found?
>
> Here's what I'm considering, and I'd appreciate comments from any turnip
> veterans out the I want to peel, cube, and steam a softball-sized

turnip,
> then purée it with Bloody Mary flavors, e.g., tomato juice, celery salt,
> cayenne, and Worcestershire sauce. I'd use that as a side dish for a

grilled
> steak.
>
> Can anybody think of a reason this WOULDN'T work?
>
> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Jul 2006 20:08:01 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>I had occasion to consult Cook's Illustrated's _Perfect Vegetables_ today on
>what to do with turnips. I got two big turnips in my CSA box last week and
>I'm not sure what to do with them. I've gotten turnips twice before. The
>first time I pickled them; the second time I marinated them in yogurt,
>pan-fried them, then simmered them in a spiced yogurt sauce. Both
>treatments were okay, but nothing to elicit tears of joy. _Perfect
>Vegetables_ lists rutabagas and turnips together, but then gives rutabagas a
>LOT more attention than turnips. It recommends roasting turnips as an
>accompaniment to meats. It recommends mashing rutabagas, and has this
>comment about turnips: "The flavor is peppery, almost like horseradish, to
>which it is also related . . . [Mashed] white turnips were harsh and
>overpowering."
>
>Well, that got me to thinking: If mashed white turnips were strongly
>horseradish-like, wouldn't that be a GOOD thing if you were to serve it with
>something which pairs well with horseradish, like roast beef? And couldn't
>other complementary flavors be found?
>
>Here's what I'm considering, and I'd appreciate comments from any turnip
>veterans out the I want to peel, cube, and steam a softball-sized turnip,
>then purée it with Bloody Mary flavors, e.g., tomato juice, celery salt,
>cayenne, and Worcestershire sauce. I'd use that as a side dish for a grilled
>steak.
>
>Can anybody think of a reason this WOULDN'T work?
>
>Bob

Have you tried them raw? Diced and added to a salad is pretty good.
Adds bite and texture.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I had occasion to consult Cook's Illustrated's _Perfect Vegetables_
> today on what to do with turnips. I got two big turnips in my CSA box
> last week and I'm not sure what to do with them.

Run from them as fast as I can!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I had occasion to consult Cook's Illustrated's _Perfect Vegetables_
> today on what to do with turnips. I got two big turnips in my CSA box
> last week and I'm not sure what to do with them. I've gotten turnips
> twice before. The first time I pickled them; the second time I
> marinated them in yogurt, pan-fried them, then simmered them in a
> spiced yogurt sauce. Both treatments were okay, but nothing to
> elicit tears of joy. _Perfect Vegetables_ lists rutabagas and
> turnips together, but then gives rutabagas a LOT more attention than
> turnips. It recommends roasting turnips as an accompaniment to meats.
> It recommends mashing rutabagas, and has this comment about turnips:
> "The flavor is peppery, almost like horseradish, to which it is also
> related . . . [Mashed] white turnips were harsh and overpowering."
>
> Well, that got me to thinking: If mashed white turnips were strongly
> horseradish-like, wouldn't that be a GOOD thing if you were to serve
> it with something which pairs well with horseradish, like roast beef?
> And couldn't other complementary flavors be found?
>
> Here's what I'm considering, and I'd appreciate comments from any
> turnip veterans out the I want to peel, cube, and steam a
> softball-sized turnip, then purée it with Bloody Mary flavors, e.g.,
> tomato juice, celery salt, cayenne, and Worcestershire sauce. I'd use
> that as a side dish for a grilled steak.
>
> Can anybody think of a reason this WOULDN'T work?
>
> Bob

Softball-sized? Are we talking white turnips, which are usually much smaller
than that, or rutabagas (yellow)?

In any case, they are good mashed with potatoes and some sour cream. (About
50/50 white turnip to potato.) Excellent with beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet asked:

> Softball-sized? Are we talking white turnips, which are usually much
> smaller than that, or rutabagas (yellow)?

We're talking white turnips. http://i2.tinypic.com/20ggmpt.jpg

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Phred" wrote
>I was interested to read the answers given by others in this thread.
> The only way I've ever used turnips (both swede and plain) is to chop
> them into coarse dice and chuck them into a stew (beef or lamb) with
> the spuds, carrots, parsnip, ...
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Gosh, I haven't thought about this for years.
As a kid, I utterly detested turnips when they were put into a stew - not
only the taste, but the texture.
One day, my mother served creamed turnips for the first time - they were
very good. Here's a recipe which sounds close and which I think I will try
myself:

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...ed_turnips.php

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Phred" > schreef in bericht
>I was interested to read the answers given by others in this thread.
> The only way I've ever used turnips (both swede and plain) is to chop
> them into coarse dice and chuck them into a stew (beef or lamb) with
> the spuds, carrots, parsnip, ...

I have done all-veg stews that used various not-too-starchy tubers,
including carrots, and brussels sprouts, leeks, onions etc. Wiht a little
bit of water and granutalted veggie stock. Very tasty, I like that stew with
spaetzle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora wrote:

> Gosh, I haven't thought about this for years.
> As a kid, I utterly detested turnips when they were put into a stew - not
> only the taste, but the texture.
> One day, my mother served creamed turnips for the first time - they were
> very good. Here's a recipe which sounds close and which I think I will
> try myself:
>
> http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...ed_turnips.php

Wow! That looks very good indeed. Thanks, Dora!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
JL JL is offline

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> My dad's a big fan of turnips. In fact, he has some growing in his
> garden right now. He usually cooks them the same way as potatoes. When
> my mom makes chicken noodle soup, she usually throws in a cup or two of
> diced turnips in the soup and it adds a nice flavor. Other than in soup,
> I am not much of a turnip fan though.

Same here, i have copied a very nice chicken and rice soup with small
dice of carrots and turnips and a bit of cilantro and cumin, from a
local Mexican place.

Some chicken stock to add the rice to, then left over chopped chicken
meat, diced turnips and carrots and herbs, S & P and simmer till
veggies are al dente.

Turnips and cabbage cooked together are good also. Add some garlic and
goat cheese and a bit of cayenne.
---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <qesvg.13921$rT6.9569@trnddc03>, "limey" > wrote:

>"Phred" wrote
>>I was interested to read the answers given by others in this thread.
>> The only way I've ever used turnips (both swede and plain) is to chop
>> them into coarse dice and chuck them into a stew (beef or lamb) with
>> the spuds, carrots, parsnip, ...

>Gosh, I haven't thought about this for years.
>As a kid, I utterly detested turnips when they were put into a stew - not
>only the taste, but the texture.
>One day, my mother served creamed turnips for the first time - they were
>very good. Here's a recipe which sounds close and which I think I will try
>myself:
>
>http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...ed_turnips.php

Gawd! Three friggin' heavy saucepans/kettles and a sieve? Think I'll
stick to chucking them into a stew!

And wot do ya reckon they mean by "Recipe adapted from Gourmet
Magazine." -- wot do ya reckon they left out? And they can't even
spell "occasionally"! No credibility at all.

[Ahh... Wot the hell. I might even give it a try. ;-) ]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:
> On 18 Jul 2006 20:08:01 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
> >I had occasion to consult Cook's Illustrated's _Perfect Vegetables_ today on

The very word makes me shudder. When I was growing up, my favorite
thing to do with turnips was feed them to the hogs. I still can't eat
them.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" <snip>

> Well, that got me to thinking: If mashed white turnips were strongly
> horseradish-like, wouldn't that be a GOOD thing if you were to serve it
> with
> something which pairs well with horseradish, like roast beef? And couldn't
> other complementary flavors be found?
>
> Here's what I'm considering, and I'd appreciate comments from any turnip
> veterans out the I want to peel, cube, and steam a softball-sized
> turnip,
> then purée it with Bloody Mary flavors, e.g., tomato juice, celery salt,
> cayenne, and Worcestershire sauce. I'd use that as a side dish for a
> grilled
> steak.
>
> Can anybody think of a reason this WOULDN'T work?
>
> Bob
> -------------

Yes. Yes. YES!!!!!!

You know Bob, I would be more than willing to help you taste test this...
you know, we could tweak it all out before you post about it... <drooling!>

--
Cyndi (again)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Sorry, compost heap. Turnips and kohlrabi are two vegetables I just
> can't stand. Rutabagas, OTOH, aren't bad, mashed with butter, salt &
> pepper. They taste kind of sweet.
>
> gloria p
>>----------

Bummer! I love all three!

--
Cyndi (again)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" <snip>

> Have you tried them raw? Diced and added to a salad is pretty good.
> Adds bite and texture.
> --
> Susan N.
> ============

Doh - I never thought to try that! I love jicama raw! Yumm! Thanks Susan!

--
Cyndi (again)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Syssi wrote:
> "Puester" > wrote in message
> > Sorry, compost heap. Turnips and kohlrabi are two vegetables I just
> > can't stand. Rutabagas, OTOH, aren't bad, mashed with butter, salt &
> > pepper. They taste kind of sweet.
> >
> > gloria p
> >>----------

> Bummer! I love all three!
>
> --
> Cyndi (again)

LOL!
I didn't know until I was in my late teens that what my mother called
turnips were actually rutabagas! The free seed catalog I ordered by
mail called them "rutabagas, also called big yellow turnips". I
couldn't stand them then, but now they're okay.

I like to add cubed white turnips to soups and stews. Most people
don't know they're turnips because rutabagas are what they know as
turnips in this area! They're more delicate in flavor and less
fibrous. Very nice.