Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mashed Turnips

In article 1>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> 1 large turnip (rutabaga)a pound or so

Turnip and Rutabaga are the same veggie?

I did now know that! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 19 Oct 2006 07:36:02p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...

> In article 1>,
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:
>
>> 1 large turnip (rutabaga)a pound or so

> Turnip and Rutabaga are the same veggie?
>
> I did now know that! :-)

All rutabagas are turnips. Not all turnips are rutabagas. Rutabagas are
also known as swedes or yellow turnips.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Double your drive space - delete Windows!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > Turnip and Rutabaga are the same veggie?
> >
> > I did now know that! :-)

> All rutabagas are turnips. Not all turnips are rutabagas. Rutabagas are
> also known as swedes or yellow turnips.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Thanks! :-)
I appreciate the info.

I'll only quit learning when I'm a box of ashes...... <lol>
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Thu 19 Oct 2006 07:36:02p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...
>
>> In article 1>,
>> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:
>>
>>> 1 large turnip (rutabaga)a pound or so

>> Turnip and Rutabaga are the same veggie?
>>
>> I did now know that! :-)

> All rutabagas are turnips. Not all turnips are rutabagas. Rutabagas are
> also known as swedes or yellow turnips.

And, while I'm not crazy about them, IMO rutabagas taste 1000% better
than the "white" turnips which have a strange, medicinal taste.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 20 Oct 2006 07:14:23a, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Turnip and Rutabaga are the same veggie?
>> >
>> > I did now know that! :-)

>> All rutabagas are turnips. Not all turnips are rutabagas. Rutabagas

are
>> also known as swedes or yellow turnips.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Thanks! :-)
> I appreciate the info.
>
> I'll only quit learning when I'm a box of ashes...... <lol>

I decided I would quit learning the other day, but it didn't work. I kept
learning things quite by accident. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Double your drive space - delete Windows!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 20 Oct 2006 10:25:02a, Puester meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Thu 19 Oct 2006 07:36:02p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to

say...

>>> Turnip and Rutabaga are the same veggie?
>>>
>>> I did now know that! :-)

>> All rutabagas are turnips. Not all turnips are rutabagas. Rutabagas

are
>> also known as swedes or yellow turnips.
>>

> And, while I'm not crazy about them, IMO rutabagas taste 1000% better
> than the "white" turnips which have a strange, medicinal taste.
>
> gloria p

I like white turnips, but I much prefer rutabagas. I grew up eating both
from an early age, so guess I'm unaware of it tasting strange. I remember
that Mom would say, "eat your turnips", and I did. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Double your drive space - delete Windows!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> >> All rutabagas are turnips. Not all turnips are rutabagas. Rutabagas

> are
> >> also known as swedes or yellow turnips.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright

> > Thanks! :-)
> > I appreciate the info.
> >
> > I'll only quit learning when I'm a box of ashes...... <lol>

> I decided I would quit learning the other day, but it didn't work. I kept
> learning things quite by accident. :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

<lol>

Life is grand...... :-)

I've got to quit playing around here and get some chores done.
I need to get to the range. The range master promised to teach me how to
shoot skeet today!

I've never fired a shotgun!
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shotguns was: Mashed Turnips

In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> Life is grand...... :-)
>
> I've got to quit playing around here and get some chores done.
> I need to get to the range. The range master promised to teach me how to
> shoot skeet today!
>
> I've never fired a shotgun!

Some free advice: Make sure the range master isn't Dick Cheney!

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-22, Dan Abel > wrote:

> Some free advice: Make sure the range master isn't Dick Cheney!

LOL!!....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>

> > Life is grand...... :-)
> >
> > I've got to quit playing around here and get some chores done.
> > I need to get to the range. The range master promised to teach me how to
> > shoot skeet today!
> >
> > I've never fired a shotgun!

> Some free advice: Make sure the range master isn't Dick Cheney!

ROFL!!!

Nah, this guy cannot afford to shoot Benellis. ;-)

Mine is a Mossberg Tactical...
I got it for a steal of a deal at the last gun show. $180.00 for an 18"
barrel full choke 20 gauge Mossberg in excellent condition. There is an
advantage to purchasing gently used pre-owned guns.

I bought it for home defense on the advice of the local Police dept.
Armorer after a long phone conversation. I'll be loading it with #4
buckshot for maximum safety.

I was informed (thru a lot of reading) that my .357 magnum Ruger Redhawk
pistol was actually rather dangerous for home defense purposes. That
whole issue of over-penetration and the danger of collateral damage
scares the crap out of me. I care more than that.

I did not actually go out to the range today. The range was packed due
to the fine weather and it being the beginning of hunting season.

I'll call him again on Monday afternoon and see what's up.

Dad tells me that during the turkey shoots he's participated it, he
****ed off many a Benelli owner by out-shooting them with his Mossberg...

A $300.00 Mossy in the hands of a skilled marksman will beat a
dilettante with a $1,200 Italian shotgun any time! <lol>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > Life is grand...... :-)
> >
> > I've got to quit playing around here and get some chores done.
> > I need to get to the range. The range master promised to teach me how to
> > shoot skeet today!
> >
> > I've never fired a shotgun!

> Some free advice: Make sure the range master isn't Dick Cheney!

Good advice for saving face. LOL

I seriously doubt someone who has never fired a shotgun will be
shooting skeet for quite a while, first thing is to learn the
difference between trap and skeet, and then become proficient with trap
before moving on to skeet. This a an expensive sport (even if you load
your own, which I did for years), the expense is the main reason I gave
it up... this is definitely not for those who make a point of
constantly claiming they need to watch their grocery pennies. A box of
25 rounds can cost like $12-$15 . And you only save like 25% as a
reloader, and that's a big investment of time, actually a huge time
investment, can take like four hours to fiddle with all the supplies
and reload only enough for the next shoot. And a trap shooter can
easily go through like 8-10 boxes in a morning, and that's very
conservative, club members typically do double that each meet, and meet
at least twice a week, usually three times a week... shooting just once
a week you'll never be any good. Buying the shot gun is the least
expensive part, a few hundred dollars is nothing, even if you buy a
shot gun in the $1,000+ range that's nothing compared with the cost of
ammo. It's very easy to become hooked on this sport, and even easier
to forget that's a lot of dollars you're firing into the air... not to
mention paying for the clay pigeons, and membership fees, and the
proper wardrobe, like with golf, they're not going to let you play
without the correct dress. And then there's the t i m e... this sport
eats up a lot of time, a tremendous quantity of time... after an entire
morning at the range, and then you spend the rest of the day gun
cleaning and reloading, do this 2-3 time a week and you'll wish for a
ten day week... not to mention all the time spent frequenting the gun
shops, hanging with gun cronies, and of course spending more dollars,
lots more dollars. Anyone thinks all they gotta do is spring for a
couple hundred bucks for the gun is in for a rude awakening.

http://iweb.tntech.edu/cpardue/skeet-trap.html

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-22, jay > wrote:

> commitment (if you don't want to have to yodel fore on a regular basis) is
> huge.

Passions are time consuming and expensive, be they guns, golf, or
gardening. If they weren't, they'd be merely "interests".

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 22 Oct 2006 06:24:21a, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan meant to
say...

> OmManiPadmeOmelet >
> news >
>>
>> <lol>
>>
>> Life is grand...... :-)
>>
>> I've got to quit playing around here and get some chores done.
>> I need to get to the range. The range master promised to teach me how
>> to shoot skeet today!
>>
>> I've never fired a shotgun!

> Shooting skeet is fun. My father used to belong to a gun club and he
> would take us boys to shoot. We literally had a blast I grew up
> with guns and have the utmost respect for them. I would never go
> hunting with my father. I couldn't shoot an animal. He understood but
> still made sure I knew how to shoot, take care of a gun and follow the
> strictest safety measures. I'm a really good shot if I don't have to
> shoot too far.
>
> When Steven and I first got together I came across his handgun in his
> nightstand. I asked him to get rid of it. I didn't want a gun in the
> house (we lived in the city at the time but we were 300 feet off the
> ground with a doorman, a keyed elevator and security guards . He
> promised to take it to the police station and give it to them. He
> didn't do it so I did it. I never mentioned it. It's 18 years later
> and he has yet to mention the gun. I don't think he has noticed it's
> missing

My dad as a hunter and I grew up with a vaariety of guns around the house.
I was taught to shoot very early. I didn't like hunting, but enjoyed
target shooting. When my dad passed away we gave away all of his guns. As
an adult I have absolutely no interest in it, nor do I want a gun in the
house.

--
Wayne Boatwright

We are upping our standards... so up yours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> > Some free advice: Make sure the range master isn't Dick Cheney!

> Good advice for saving face. LOL
>
> I seriously doubt someone who has never fired a shotgun will be
> shooting skeet for quite a while, first thing is to learn the
> difference between trap and skeet, and then become proficient with trap
> before moving on to skeet. This a an expensive sport (even if you load
> your own, which I did for years), the expense is the main reason I gave
> it up... this is definitely not for those who make a point of
> constantly claiming they need to watch their grocery pennies.

I know the difference...

This shotgun has an 18" barrel. It's made for home defense and can only
be used for skeet, not trap.

Dad's full sized semi-auto is suitable for both.

I've been doing my homework. :-)

And I know it's going to be time consuming... but everyone needs a hobby.
Other than cooking, I've pretty much given up all other hobbies in
favor of target practicing due to the (very well known) expense.

Thanks Shel' baby! <smooch>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> shooting just once
> a week you'll never be any good.

I don't agree with this.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jay > wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 04:08:25 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>

> > Dad tells me that during the turkey shoots he's participated it, he
> > ****ed off many a Benelli owner by out-shooting them with his Mossberg...
> >
> > A $300.00 Mossy in the hands of a skilled marksman will beat a
> > dilettante with a $1,200 Italian shotgun any time! <lol>

> A lot of turkey shoots are ..a scatter gun to a target..lucky pellet wins.
> Now shooting turkey is a different story..the 3" magnum with the turkey
> load wins.

You won the turkey for shooting skeet..... ;-)
It was a competition.

> Memorize Sheldon's post.
>
> If you are short on time and money .. rethink.

It's become my current hobby. <G>
I'm all too aware what ammunition costs!

I also have to feed some other guns...

> As he mentioned golf is a good comparison.. clubs are the cheap part, even
> good ones. The country club membership and monthly and the *time*
> commitment (if you don't want to have to yodel fore on a regular basis) is
> huge. At Barton Creek for example the membership is around 50$.. (K that
> is) ..and the monthly is hefty not to mention the ammunition.
>
> You may want to consider just drinking some beer and popping the empties.
> Way cheaper.
>
> PULL..
>
> <happyface>

I'm looking forward to this. :-)
Don't spoil my fun dammit!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2006-10-22, jay > wrote:
>

> > commitment (if you don't want to have to yodel fore on a regular basis) is
> > huge.

> Passions are time consuming and expensive, be they guns, golf, or
> gardening. If they weren't, they'd be merely "interests".
>
> nb

Indeed... :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > Shooting skeet is fun. My father used to belong to a gun club and he
> > would take us boys to shoot. We literally had a blast I grew up
> > with guns and have the utmost respect for them. I would never go
> > hunting with my father. I couldn't shoot an animal. He understood but
> > still made sure I knew how to shoot, take care of a gun and follow the
> > strictest safety measures. I'm a really good shot if I don't have to
> > shoot too far.
> >
> > When Steven and I first got together I came across his handgun in his
> > nightstand. I asked him to get rid of it. I didn't want a gun in the
> > house (we lived in the city at the time but we were 300 feet off the
> > ground with a doorman, a keyed elevator and security guards . He
> > promised to take it to the police station and give it to them. He
> > didn't do it so I did it. I never mentioned it. It's 18 years later
> > and he has yet to mention the gun. I don't think he has noticed it's
> > missing

> My dad as a hunter and I grew up with a vaariety of guns around the house.
> I was taught to shoot very early. I didn't like hunting, but enjoyed
> target shooting. When my dad passed away we gave away all of his guns. As
> an adult I have absolutely no interest in it, nor do I want a gun in the
> house.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

You passed up a lot of $$$ giving them away you know... ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-22, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> And I know it's going to be time consuming... but everyone needs a hobby.

Go get 'em, Om! Grab your girlfriends and recruit 'em into the fold.
Let there be no doubt. The ladies are hot with shot!

http://www.outdoorchannel.com/index2.cfm?ss=263&site=1

(but, you're creepin' me out with that spider thing) 8(

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jay > wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:57:59 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > I'm looking forward to this. :-)
> > Don't spoil my fun dammit!

> huh..EARPLUGS..LOL

To hell with earplugs... They are uncomfortable.

I have regular range muffs.

Eye shields too. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2006-10-22, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
> >
> > And I know it's going to be time consuming... but everyone needs a hobby.

> Go get 'em, Om! Grab your girlfriends and recruit 'em into the fold.
> Let there be no doubt. The ladies are hot with shot!
>
> http://www.outdoorchannel.com/index2.cfm?ss=263&site=1

I think it's a statistical fact that women are better shots than men. ;-)
I think it's the whole patience thing.

> (but, you're creepin' me out with that spider thing) 8(
>
> nb

<lol> It has to do with other insects...

You see, I like spiders for the same reason I like bats, lizards, frogs
and preying mantises.

They eat other insects. Beneficial predators are just that.

Beneficial....

Hope that helps? :-)

I try to limit my use of pesticides. Beneficial predators are good for
my organic health!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I was informed (thru a lot of reading) that my .357 magnum Ruger Redhawk
> pistol was actually rather dangerous for home defense purposes. That
> whole issue of over-penetration and the danger of collateral damage
> scares the crap out of me. I care more than that.

Try loading it with 158 grain .38 Special soft lead hollowpoints. Use
+P's if the Redhawk has a short barrel. You want a muzzle velocity of
about 900 fps.

That's what I use in my S&W K-frame, although I haven't figured out what
powder to use for the least muzzle flash. (You don't have to reload
them; Federal sells 'em, but they are sometimes hard to find.)

I wouldn't choose a .357 Magnum for home defense because if I ever have
to use it I probably won't have be wearing hearing protection.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> > > I've never fired a shotgun!

> > Some free advice: Make sure the range master isn't Dick Cheney!

> Mine is a Mossberg Tactical...
> I got it for a steal of a deal at the last gun show. $180.00 for an 18"
> barrel full choke 20 gauge Mossberg in excellent condition. There is an
> advantage to purchasing gently used pre-owned guns.
>
> I bought it for home defense on the advice of the local Police dept.
> Armorer after a long phone conversation. I'll be loading it with #4
> buckshot for maximum safety.
>
> I was informed (thru a lot of reading) that my .357 magnum Ruger Redhawk
> pistol was actually rather dangerous for home defense purposes. That
> whole issue of over-penetration and the danger of collateral damage
> scares the crap out of me. I care more than that.

I don't know that much, but I would suggest checking it out some more.
Aren't there the same issues with over-penetration and collateral damage
with #4 buckshot, depending on the powder load?

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> In article . com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> > shooting just once
> > a week you'll never be any good.

> I don't agree with this.

I don't either. You're already good.

You can't be the best at everything, so you make your choices. A
responsible gun owner knows how to shoot their gun. It doesn't matter
if it's cans, skeet or trap (whatever those last two are), you just need
to be familiar with the gun.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-22, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> I think it's a statistical fact that women are better shots than men. ;-)

It's not. But, that's not to say they can't be. OTOH, to assert such
a thing is just as absurd as saying men are better shots than women.
Competition shooters expend incredible amounts of time and resources
to hone their skills. Pro shooters shoot 50K+ rnds per yr. One of
the greatest rifle shooters of all time, David Tubb, has been shooting
at least 4 hrs day since college. No one even comes close to his
accomplishments, male of female. But, give a woman the same time and
resources and I'm sure she would excel.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jay > wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:41:49 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > jay > wrote:

> >> huh..EARPLUGS..LOL

> > To hell with earplugs... They are uncomfortable.
> >
> > I have regular range muffs.

> I know.. they do not work that well on BIG ears.. ahahahha
>
> bugs

Bite me Jay. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > I was informed (thru a lot of reading) that my .357 magnum Ruger Redhawk
> > pistol was actually rather dangerous for home defense purposes. That
> > whole issue of over-penetration and the danger of collateral damage
> > scares the crap out of me. I care more than that.

> Try loading it with 158 grain .38 Special soft lead hollowpoints. Use
> +P's if the Redhawk has a short barrel. You want a muzzle velocity of
> about 900 fps.

This Redhawk weighs nearly 4 lbs. and has a 7" barrel.
That increases muzzle velocity. It has a major OS factor. Hopefully it'd
be a sufficient deterrent but I'm not about to count on that.

And according to my ballistics textbook, slower, heavier rounds have an
INCREASED penetration due to a slower loss of velocity when meeting
barriers.

+P's are going to increase muzzle velocity iirc?.

I use 38 special ball ammo for target practice but it's loaded with 158
gr. Speer Gold Dot JHP's for anti-personel rounds.

It's all Cabellas stocks for that round of JHP's. It's what the local
LEO's use.

> That's what I use in my S&W K-frame, although I haven't figured out what
> powder to use for the least muzzle flash. (You don't have to reload
> them; Federal sells 'em, but they are sometimes hard to find.)
>
> I wouldn't choose a .357 Magnum for home defense because if I ever have
> to use it I probably won't have be wearing hearing protection.

Heh. I totally understand that... There are those on the gun forums that
suggest keeping hearing protection with the home defense guns, and using
it if you ever need to!

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

#4 buckshot is considered to be the smallest load that is effective and
reduces the wall penetration problem. Most people endorse the use of 00
buckshot.

You may as well use a 9mm. ;-)

Gabriel Suarez recommends #7 1/2 or #8 birdshot for close range indoor
use, or #4 buckshot.

But, I've only read one book so far on using a shotgun for home defense.

"The Tactical Shotgun" By Suarez.

He's a retired LAPD.

Every other tactical manual I've read so far stresses the moral and
legal implications of pistol (and rifle) ammo for the over-penetration
issue.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>
> > In article . com>,
> > "Sheldon" > wrote:
> >
> > > shooting just once
> > > a week you'll never be any good.

> > I don't agree with this.

> I don't either. You're already good.
>
> You can't be the best at everything, so you make your choices. A
> responsible gun owner knows how to shoot their gun. It doesn't matter
> if it's cans, skeet or trap (whatever those last two are), you just need
> to be familiar with the gun.
>
> --
> Dan Abel

Recommended practice is 100 to 200 rounds every 4 to 6 weeks.

It was too hot over the summer to get there very often but I'll plan to
go once per month now. Many CCW/CHL holders only go once every 4 years.
;-) Many LEO's go less than that. It's why they are such lousy shots.

I happen to enjoy target practicing...... I grew up with it and it holds
a lot of good memories.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2006-10-22, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>
> > I think it's a statistical fact that women are better shots than men. ;-)

> It's not. But, that's not to say they can't be. OTOH, to assert such
> a thing is just as absurd as saying men are better shots than women.

The reading I've done indicates it's a matter of not having to unlearn
bad habits. <G>

Many of the IDPA champions are female but it's about equal with the
males.

There are simply fewer female shooters, so that skews the statistics.

> Competition shooters expend incredible amounts of time and resources
> to hone their skills. Pro shooters shoot 50K+ rnds per yr. One of
> the greatest rifle shooters of all time, David Tubb, has been shooting
> at least 4 hrs day since college. No one even comes close to his
> accomplishments, male of female. But, give a woman the same time and
> resources and I'm sure she would excel.
>
> nb

;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Revolvers was: Shotguns was: Mashed Turnips

Should we take this discussion to alt.guns? (notice that I set a
FollowUp header)

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>> I was informed (thru a lot of reading) that my .357 magnum Ruger Redhawk
>>> pistol was actually rather dangerous for home defense purposes. That
>>> whole issue of over-penetration and the danger of collateral damage
>>> scares the crap out of me. I care more than that.

>> Try loading it with 158 grain .38 Special soft lead hollowpoints. Use
>> +P's if the Redhawk has a short barrel. You want a muzzle velocity of
>> about 900 fps.

> This Redhawk weighs nearly 4 lbs. and has a 7" barrel.
> That increases muzzle velocity. It has a major OS factor. Hopefully it'd
> be a sufficient deterrent but I'm not about to count on that.

It's also a long enough barrel for a Bad Guy to grab. (if he does, pull
the trigger.) That's why I keep my little S&W loaded and ready instead
of my .45 Ruger Blackhawk. Also, the .38 is a little cheaper to
practice with than the .45, and it doesn't seem to require as much
practice. I usually practice shooting bowling pin sized metal plates,
at 50' with with a revolver or 30' with an automatic.

> And according to my ballistics textbook, slower, heavier rounds have an
> INCREASED penetration due to a slower loss of velocity when meeting
> barriers.

That's right, but remember I recommended a soft lead bullet without a
jacket. When they hit something, they expand even at subsonic
velocities. IIRC the ballistics tables I've seen showed this round (158
LSWCHP) expands to .60" and penetrates 11". Through heavy clothing, the
expansion is a little less and the penetration goes up to 13".

> +P's are going to increase muzzle velocity iirc?.

Yes; with a 7" barrel you don't necessarily need +P's -- although it
does help make sure you don't get anemic "cowboy" ammo.

>> Best regards,
>> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > "Sheldon" > wrote:
> >
> > shooting just once a week you'll never be any good.

> I don't agree with this.

Well yer just plain wrong... even if you possess natural talent you
can't be good at anything without regular practice, I don't care if
it's playing the piano, swimming, skiiing, or getting laid... if you
don't use it you lose it, that is if you ever had it... and at this
point you never had it, you yourself admited that you never shot a
shotgun, so how can you know about agreeing or disagreeing, you don't
know shit from shotguns... you just learned more from reading the
article I posted than you ever thought you knew or will learn if you
shoot every day for a year.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > > "Sheldon" > wrote:
> > >
> > > shooting just once a week you'll never be any good.

> > I don't agree with this.

> Well yer just plain wrong... even if you possess natural talent you
> can't be good at anything without regular practice, I don't care if
> it's playing the piano, swimming, skiiing, or getting laid... if you
> don't use it you lose it, that is if you ever had it... and at this
> point you never had it, you yourself admited that you never shot a
> shotgun, so how can you know about agreeing or disagreeing, you don't
> know shit from shotguns... you just learned more from reading the
> article I posted than you ever thought you knew or will learn if you
> shoot every day for a year.
>
> Sheldon

I've fired rifles for years (since I was 4 years of age) and have been
practicing monthly with pistols.

I have jpegs of my targets if you wish to see them. ;-)

I believe I am tactically adequate.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > I was informed (thru a lot of reading) that my .357 magnum Ruger Redhawk
> > pistol was actually rather dangerous for home defense purposes. That
> > whole issue of over-penetration and the danger of collateral damage
> > scares the crap out of me. I care more than that.

> Try loading it with 158 grain .38 Special soft lead hollowpoints. Use
> +P's if the Redhawk has a short barrel. You want a muzzle velocity of
> about 900 fps.
>
> That's what I use in my S&W K-frame, although I haven't figured out what
> powder to use for the least muzzle flash. (You don't have to reload
> them; Federal sells 'em, but they are sometimes hard to find.)
>
> I wouldn't choose a .357 Magnum for home defense because if I ever have
> to use it I probably won't have be wearing hearing protection.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I have a bazooka, a 20mm AA gun, a case of grenades, a 4 barrel 10 gauge
shotgun loaded with bowling balls, a BB gun, a 24 pounder loaded with
grape, a samurai sword, a blackjack, and a large box of witty insults
ready to be hurled.

So there!

Sad gun nuts, so afraid of the world that they have to keep guns around
to feel safe. Don't forget to take it out every night and fondle it.

Gawd, I am so glad that I am not so fearful.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> I've been doing my homework. :-)
>
> And I know it's going to be time consuming... but everyone needs a hobby.
> Other than cooking, I've pretty much given up all other hobbies in
> favor of target practicing due to the (very well known) expense.

If you want to do trap or skeet on the dirt cheap, buy a hunting
license. You will shoot far less shells, spend no money on club fees,
see far more angles of target acquisition, see far more target speeds
and have something to eat when you're done if you're lucky. Travel
expenses can mount up though depending on how far you travel to shoot
upland or migratory game. Use your dad's semi-auto.
When you start shooting trap or skeet, you'll find people who do it so
they can shoot birds better. You'll hear the conversation. You may be
drawn to the dark side. Be careful out there.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > > I don't agree with this.

> > Well yer just plain wrong... even if you possess natural talent you
> > can't be good at anything without regular practice, I don't care if
> > it's playing the piano, swimming, skiiing, or getting laid... if you
> > don't use it you lose it, that is if you ever had it... and at this
> > point you never had it, you yourself admited that you never shot a
> > shotgun, so how can you know about agreeing or disagreeing, you don't
> > know shit from shotguns... you just learned more from reading the
> > article I posted than you ever thought you knew or will learn if you
> > shoot every day for a year.

> I've fired rifles for years (since I was 4 years of age) and have been
> practicing monthly with pistols.

What a dumb response... those are not shotguns... why don't you add in
bow and arrows and slingshots too, what about throwing knives. Your
response is like claiming you should be able to play the violin just
because you can play a kazoo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 22 Oct 2006 10:22:13a, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Shooting skeet is fun. My father used to belong to a gun club and he
>> > would take us boys to shoot. We literally had a blast I grew up
>> > with guns and have the utmost respect for them. I would never go
>> > hunting with my father. I couldn't shoot an animal. He understood
>> > but still made sure I knew how to shoot, take care of a gun and
>> > follow the strictest safety measures. I'm a really good shot if I
>> > don't have to shoot too far.
>> >
>> > When Steven and I first got together I came across his handgun in his
>> > nightstand. I asked him to get rid of it. I didn't want a gun in
>> > the house (we lived in the city at the time but we were 300 feet off
>> > the ground with a doorman, a keyed elevator and security guards .
>> > He promised to take it to the police station and give it to them. He
>> > didn't do it so I did it. I never mentioned it. It's 18 years later
>> > and he has yet to mention the gun. I don't think he has noticed it's
>> > missing

>> My dad as a hunter and I grew up with a vaariety of guns around the
>> house. I was taught to shoot very early. I didn't like hunting, but
>> enjoyed target shooting. When my dad passed away we gave away all of
>> his guns. As an adult I have absolutely no interest in it, nor do I
>> want a gun in the house.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> You passed up a lot of $$$ giving them away you know... ;-)

I kept them in the family. Gave them to my uncle, my mom's kid brother.
He collects nice guns. If they hadn't gone to him, I would have sold them.

--
Wayne Boatwright

We are upping our standards... so up yours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:
> In article >, says...
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>> I was informed (thru a lot of reading) that my .357 magnum Ruger Redhawk
>>> pistol was actually rather dangerous for home defense purposes. That
>>> whole issue of over-penetration and the danger of collateral damage
>>> scares the crap out of me. I care more than that.

>> Try loading it with 158 grain .38 Special soft lead hollowpoints. Use
>> +P's if the Redhawk has a short barrel. You want a muzzle velocity of
>> about 900 fps.
>>
>> That's what I use in my S&W K-frame, although I haven't figured out what
>> powder to use for the least muzzle flash. (You don't have to reload
>> them; Federal sells 'em, but they are sometimes hard to find.)
>>
>> I wouldn't choose a .357 Magnum for home defense because if I ever have
>> to use it I probably won't have be wearing hearing protection.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bob
>>

> I have a bazooka, a 20mm AA gun, a case of grenades, a 4 barrel 10 gauge
> shotgun loaded with bowling balls, a BB gun, a 24 pounder loaded with
> grape, a samurai sword, a blackjack, and a large box of witty insults
> ready to be hurled.
>
> So there!
>
> Sad gun nuts, so afraid of the world that they have to keep guns around
> to feel safe. Don't forget to take it out every night and fondle it.
>
> Gawd, I am so glad that I am not so fearful.

I take it out about twice a month and practice shooting targets with it
because it's fun, and I shoot a .22 target pistol every Tuesday night in
a bullseye pistol league. I keep it (the .38) loaded and stored where I
can get to it quickly for the *extremely unlikely* event that my house
is ever invaded, because I know in an emergency if I dial 911 the police
will not get there until after the crisis is over.

I have something else to fondle at night; you're the one who seems to
get the two confused. ;-)

Best regards,
Bob

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:
> In article >, says...
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > >
> > > I was informed (thru a lot of reading) that my .357 magnum Ruger Redhawk
> > > pistol was actually rather dangerous for home defense purposes. That
> > > whole issue of over-penetration and the danger of collateral damage
> > > scares the crap out of me. I care more than that.

> > Try loading it with 158 grain .38 Special soft lead hollowpoints. Use
> > +P's if the Redhawk has a short barrel. You want a muzzle velocity of
> > about 900 fps.
> >
> > That's what I use in my S&W K-frame, although I haven't figured out what
> > powder to use for the least muzzle flash. (You don't have to reload
> > them; Federal sells 'em, but they are sometimes hard to find.)
> >
> > I wouldn't choose a .357 Magnum for home defense because if I ever have
> > to use it I probably won't have be wearing hearing protection.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bob
> >

> I have a bazooka, a 20mm AA gun, a case of grenades, a 4 barrel 10 gauge
> shotgun loaded with bowling balls, a BB gun, a 24 pounder loaded with
> grape, a samurai sword, a blackjack, and a large box of witty insults
> ready to be hurled.
>
> So there!
>
> Sad gun nuts, so afraid of the world that they have to keep guns around
> to feel safe. Don't forget to take it out every night and fondle it.
>
> Gawd, I am so glad that I am not so fearful.

Me too, but just in case I still keep a fully armed abrams tank in the
garage and my cats can all pilot those six apache helcopters out back
on the deck. Is that a real Red Ryder bb gun... I'll swap you for my
flame thrower, I'll toss in a 55 gallon drum of napalm... and a genuine
Conan the Barbarian costume.

Why are these people so obsessed with guns, they really oughta join the
military, they'll get sick of guns real quick. They remind me of those
uniformed interstate toll collecter wannabe cops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > You passed up a lot of $$$ giving them away you know... ;-)

> I kept them in the family. Gave them to my uncle, my mom's kid brother.
> He collects nice guns. If they hadn't gone to him, I would have sold them.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Ah. Ok. :-)

I'll most likely pass dad's rifle collection on to the nephews...
Hopefully, dad will be around long enough for them to grow up.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.