Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Refrigerate Tahini ?

Just unpacked after moving, and noticed my jar of tahini said to
refrigerate after opening. It hasn't killed me so far, but now I'm
wondering how important this is.

Yes, the hummus thread reminded me of this. I have enough sesame seeds
to make some hummus without the jar of tahini, but it seems like a
waste to thow it out if it doesn't need to be.

Dean G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Dean G." > schreef in bericht
oups.com...
> Just unpacked after moving, and noticed my jar of tahini said to
> refrigerate after opening. It hasn't killed me so far, but now I'm
> wondering how important this is.

I've never refridgerated mine, without any problems. If it looks and smells
fine, just use it, I'd say. The worst that could happen to it would probably
rancidity, which you'd smell.

> Yes, the hummus thread reminded me of this. I have enough sesame seeds
> to make some hummus without the jar of tahini, but it seems like a
> waste to thow it out if it doesn't need to be.
>
> Dean G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:

> I've never refridgerated mine, without any problems. If it looks and smells
> fine, just use it, I'd say. The worst that could happen to it would probably
> rancidity, which you'd smell.

Ah, the definative test. Thanks for the info.

Dean G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dean G." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Just unpacked after moving, and noticed my jar of tahini said to
> refrigerate after opening. It hasn't killed me so far, but now I'm
> wondering how important this is.

Don't bother it will last at room temperature even after opening.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dean G. wrote:
> Just unpacked after moving, and noticed my jar of tahini said to
> refrigerate after opening. It hasn't killed me so far, but now I'm
> wondering how important this is.
>
> Yes, the hummus thread reminded me of this. I have enough sesame seeds
> to make some hummus without the jar of tahini, but it seems like a
> waste to thow it out if it doesn't need to be.
>
> Dean G.

I think that the major reason to refrigerate it is that it won't separate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Puistonen wrote:

> I think that the major reason to refrigerate it is that it won't separate.

It will separate in the fridge anyway.

Dawn

why you should refrigerate your tomatoes sf[_9_] General Cooking 22 22-07-2015 02:59 PM
Refrigerate your eggs? or not? ImStillMags General Cooking 8 21-07-2014 03:33 AM
refrigerate meat? Eddie Barbecue 16 26-08-2009 11:53 PM
The word is refrigerate [email protected] General Cooking 71 15-12-2008 09:47 PM
Why not refrigerate everything? [email protected] General Cooking 43 02-08-2008 02:42 AM