Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tomato Sauce or Paste

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Okay, I've gone through the cabinets. For some reason I stock a lot of
> tomato paste. Never do I have enough tomato sauce or diced tomatoes. Is
> there a way to make tomato sauce out of paste? I'm sure it's a st00pid
> question but I'm asking anyway. A pizza thread got me to thinking about
> it.
>
> Michael

I'm more interested to learn what you do with all that paste? I use
paste so rarely.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 > wrote in
:

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>> Okay, I've gone through the cabinets. For some reason I stock a lot
>> of tomato paste. Never do I have enough tomato sauce or diced
>> tomatoes. Is there a way to make tomato sauce out of paste? I'm sure
>> it's a st00pid question but I'm asking anyway. A pizza thread got me
>> to thinking about it.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> I'm more interested to learn what you do with all that paste? I use
> paste so rarely.
> Goomba

I dilute tomato paste with hot water from the pot for over spaghetti.
It's low sodium and I enjoy the tang it adds. YMMV.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> I'm more interested to learn what you do with all that paste? I use
> paste so rarely.

I often make bean soup or vegetable soup or bean and vegetable soup with
whatever I have in the fridge. As such, I don't measure exactly, and
thus it isn't unusual for the soup to come out too watery. This drives
me crazy with beans. I'll keep adding water because it has all simmered
away and the pan is about to scorch. The next thing I know, the beans
are done, and there's way too much water with them. Canned tomato paste
to the rescue! Sauce won't do the trick. I open a 6 ounce can, add it
a tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition, and watch as a
too-watery soup becomes one in a lovely tomato broth. (Pope brand is my
favorite for paste. Muir Glen is my favorite for everything else.)

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

fry it with whatever your essence is , Julia then add it to your sauce.

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> Goomba38 wrote:
>
>> I'm more interested to learn what you do with all that paste? I use paste
>> so rarely.

> I often make bean soup or vegetable soup or bean and vegetable soup with
> whatever I have in the fridge. As such, I don't measure exactly, and thus
> it isn't unusual for the soup to come out too watery. This drives me
> crazy with beans. I'll keep adding water because it has all simmered away
> and the pan is about to scorch. The next thing I know, the beans are
> done, and there's way too much water with them. Canned tomato paste to
> the rescue! Sauce won't do the trick. I open a 6 ounce can, add it a
> tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition, and watch as a
> too-watery soup becomes one in a lovely tomato broth. (Pope brand is my
> favorite for paste. Muir Glen is my favorite for everything else.)
>

> --Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
>
> > I'm more interested to learn what you do with all that paste? I use
> > paste so rarely.

> I often make bean soup or vegetable soup or bean and vegetable soup with
> whatever I have in the fridge. As such, I don't measure exactly, and
> thus it isn't unusual for the soup to come out too watery. This drives
> me crazy with beans. I'll keep adding water because it has all simmered
> away and the pan is about to scorch. The next thing I know, the beans
> are done, and there's way too much water with them. Canned tomato paste
> to the rescue! Sauce won't do the trick. I open a 6 ounce can, add it
> a tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition, and watch as a
> too-watery soup becomes one in a lovely tomato broth. (Pope brand is my
> favorite for paste. Muir Glen is my favorite for everything else.)

I add a small can when I make stock (in the crockpot), gives the stock
a nice "rounded" taste...and yes, it's also superb for soups.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> > Goomba38 wrote:
> >
> > > I'm more interested to learn what you do with all that paste? I use
> > > paste so rarely.

> > I often make bean soup or vegetable soup or bean and vegetable soup with
> > whatever I have in the fridge. As such, I don't measure exactly, and
> > thus it isn't unusual for the soup to come out too watery. This drives
> > me crazy with beans. I'll keep adding water because it has all simmered
> > away and the pan is about to scorch. The next thing I know, the beans
> > are done, and there's way too much water with them. Canned tomato paste
> > to the rescue! Sauce won't do the trick. I open a 6 ounce can, add it
> > a tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition, and watch as a
> > too-watery soup becomes one in a lovely tomato broth. (Pope brand is my
> > favorite for paste. Muir Glen is my favorite for everything else.)

> I add a small can when I make stock (in the crockpot), gives the stock
> a nice "rounded" taste...and yes, it's also superb for soups.

Some more interesting ideas:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions.../t-287396.html
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Goomba38 > wrote in
> :
>
> > Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> >> Okay, I've gone through the cabinets. For some reason I stock a lot
> >> of tomato paste. Never do I have enough tomato sauce or diced
> >> tomatoes. Is there a way to make tomato sauce out of paste? I'm sure
> >> it's a st00pid question but I'm asking anyway. A pizza thread got me
> >> to thinking about it.

Just dilute it with water. I never buy canned sauce.

Hey Michael, I think we're doing a benefit for Jeff Smith's campaign on
July 29.

> >> Michael
> >>

> > I'm more interested to learn what you do with all that paste? I use
> > paste so rarely.
> > Goomba

> I dilute tomato paste with hot water from the pot for over spaghetti.
> It's low sodium and I enjoy the tang it adds. YMMV.

"Hot water from the pot," eh? Certainly good in the B vitamin dept.
Only problem is that tomato paste is so much better after being
simmered for a long time, especially with some bay leaves.

> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article . com>,
> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:> >

> > I add a small can when I make stock (in the crockpot), gives the stock
> > a nice "rounded" taste...and yes, it's also superb for soups.

> Some more interesting ideas:
>
> http://www.mothering.com/discussions.../t-287396.html

I just finished making a big batch of Thousand Island dressing in the
blender, I used a can of tomato paste in that...

--
Best
Greg