kalanamak

Thelma Lubkin wrote:

> Can someone tell me what I can do to get some taste from these white
> ones?
> --thanks, thelma

Toast them over med flame in a dry cast iron skillet...no oil. Stir
frequently and when mildly brown, remove from skillet. Grind lightly,
just a minimal crush, actually. YUM
blacksalt
Thelma Lubkin

Default White Sesame Seeds

Two times now, I have bought sesame seeds that have seemed totally
wimpy and not worth using. I've decided that these must be the 'white
sesame' seeds, and that I haven't got the vaguest notion of how to use
them.

I use sesame seeds to sprinkle over vegetables in a stir fry,
sometimes in baking, and I keep a grinder filled w/ whole, toasted
sesame seed on the kitchen table right alongside the black pepper.

Can someone tell me what I can do to get some taste from these white
ones?
--thanks, thelma

Goomba38

Thelma Lubkin wrote:

> Two times now, I have bought sesame seeds that have seemed totally
> wimpy and not worth using. I've decided that these must be the 'white
> sesame' seeds, and that I haven't got the vaguest notion of how to use
> them.
>
> I use sesame seeds to sprinkle over vegetables in a stir fry,
> sometimes in baking, and I keep a grinder filled w/ whole, toasted
> sesame seed on the kitchen table right alongside the black pepper.
>
> Can someone tell me what I can do to get some taste from these white
> ones?
> --thanks, thelma

Have you toasted them? I buy large jars of toasted sesame seeds in the
Asian food section at the commissary at a great price and keep them in
the freezer. Untoasted seeds probably would be pretty bland..?
Goomba
Arri London

Thelma Lubkin wrote:

> Two times now, I have bought sesame seeds that have seemed totally
> wimpy and not worth using. I've decided that these must be the 'white
> sesame' seeds, and that I haven't got the vaguest notion of how to use
> them.
>
> I use sesame seeds to sprinkle over vegetables in a stir fry,
> sometimes in baking, and I keep a grinder filled w/ whole, toasted
> sesame seed on the kitchen table right alongside the black pepper.
>
> Can someone tell me what I can do to get some taste from these white
> ones?
> --thanks, thelma

Toast them first until they are light brown and fragrant. They will keep
in the fridge for ages in a tightly closed jar.
biig

Thelma Lubkin wrote:

> Two times now, I have bought sesame seeds that have seemed totally
> wimpy and not worth using. I've decided that these must be the 'white
> sesame' seeds, and that I haven't got the vaguest notion of how to use
> them.
>
> I use sesame seeds to sprinkle over vegetables in a stir fry,
> sometimes in baking, and I keep a grinder filled w/ whole, toasted
> sesame seed on the kitchen table right alongside the black pepper.
>
> Can someone tell me what I can do to get some taste from these white
> ones?
> --thanks, thelma

Toastem.....

jmcquown

Thelma Lubkin wrote:
> Two times now, I have bought sesame seeds that have seemed totally
> wimpy and not worth using. I've decided that these must be the 'white
> sesame' seeds, and that I haven't got the vaguest notion of how to use
> them.

What, you think sesame seeds come toasted?

Jill

Sheldon

Thelma Lubkin wrote:

> I usually 'toast' my sesame seeds by tossing them in the wok
> using a wok spatula. When I try that with these, they stick
> together and to the spatula, so that I get clumps of seeds,
> some not toasted at all and others burned.
> What's a good method for toasting these?

Pan toasting is fine for small quantities but to toast a substantial
amount at once spread them out about 1/8" deep in a roasting pan (any
metal so long as it's not non-stick). Then place into a medium oven,
about 300=BA F. Every ten minutes or so stir them about until they're a
light golden brown. Raw sesame seeds are pretty blah. To achieve that
nutty flavor thay need to be toasted... if you were to then extract
that oil you'd have [drum roll] toasted sesame seed oil. Don't use
toasted sesame seeds to top bread or they will burn... use raw seeds
and they will toast as the bread bakes.

Sheldon

Dee Randall

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Thelma Lubkin wrote:
>> Two times now, I have bought sesame seeds that have seemed totally
>> wimpy and not worth using. I've decided that these must be the 'white
>> sesame' seeds, and that I haven't got the vaguest notion of how to use
>> them.
>>

> What, you think sesame seeds come toasted?
>
> Jill

Yes, you can buy already toasted sesame seeds. They are a light brown.
I've bought them many times.
Dee

Dee Randall wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Thelma Lubkin wrote:
> >> Two times now, I have bought sesame seeds that have seemed totally
> >> wimpy and not worth using. I've decided that these must be the 'white
> >> sesame' seeds, and that I haven't got the vaguest notion of how to use
> >> them.
> >>

> > What, you think sesame seeds come toasted?
> >
> > Jill
> >

> Yes, you can buy already toasted sesame seeds. They are a light brown.
> I've bought them many times.
> Dee

Gee! I've seen black sesame seeds. Are they the over-toasted???

Just askin

Thelma Lubkin

Sheldon > wrote:

: Thelma Lubkin wrote:
:>
:> I usually 'toast' my sesame seeds by tossing them in the wok
:> using a wok spatula. When I try that with these, they stick
:> together and to the spatula, so that I get clumps of seeds,
:> some not toasted at all and others burned.
:> What's a good method for toasting these?

: Pan toasting is fine for small quantities but to toast a substantial
: amount at once spread them out about 1/8" deep in a roasting pan (any
: metal so long as it's not non-stick). Then place into a medium oven,
: about 300º F. Every ten minutes or so stir them about until they're a
: light golden brown. Raw sesame seeds are pretty blah. To achieve that
: nutty flavor thay need to be toasted... if you were to then extract
: that oil you'd have [drum roll] toasted sesame seed oil. Don't use
: toasted sesame seeds to top bread or they will burn... use raw seeds
: and they will toast as the bread bakes.

Thanks. I'll try that. I've had no problem toasting the brown
sesame seed in the wok. I've also done that with the black,
but the white must just be too delicate for fast toasting.
--thelma
: Sheldon

widewoman

On 1 Jul 2005 23:37:57 GMT, Thelma Lubkin >
wrote:

>Arri London > wrote:
>

>: Thelma Lubkin wrote:
>:> ...I use sesame seeds to sprinkle over vegetables in a stir fry,
>:> sometimes in baking, and I keep a grinder filled w/ whole, toasted
>:> sesame seed on the kitchen table right alongside the black pepper.
>:>
>:> Can someone tell me what I can do to get some taste from these white
>:> ones?
>:> --thanks, thelma
>
>: Toast them first until they are light brown and fragrant. They will keep
>: in the fridge for ages in a tightly closed jar.
>
> I usually 'toast' my sesame seeds by tossing them in the wok
> using a wok spatula. When I try that with these, they stick
> together and to the spatula, so that I get clumps of seeds,
> some not toasted at all and others burned.
> What's a good method for toasting these?
>
> --thelma

You can also put them in thin layer..very thin..so as not to stack
them up.. on a baking sheet and put them in the oven or under a
broiler and keeping a close eye on them as to color and smell. They
clump up as the oil is released from them.. stick together. The dry
skillet means is the best way for small amounts ..and ..until you get
the hang of it, getting it just as you like them..to not risk larger
amounts of seed that might get scorched.

There are unhulled seeds out there too that are kind of gray.. if you
want more texture out of them, don't know if the flavor is improved by
the toasting with the hulls on them though..but there's more roughage
for sure! ;-)

Janice
Thelma Lubkin

: wrote:

:> I usually 'toast' my sesame seeds by tossing them in the wok
:> using a wok spatula. When I try that with these, they stick
:> together and to the spatula, so that I get clumps of seeds,
:> some not toasted at all and others burned.
:> What's a good method for toasting these?
:>
:> --thelma

: You can also put them in thin layer..very thin..so as not to stack
: them up.. on a baking sheet and put them in the oven or under a
: broiler and keeping a close eye on them as to color and smell. They

Thanks, I need to try the oven.

: There are unhulled seeds out there too that are kind of gray.. if you
: want more texture out of them, don't know if the flavor is improved by
: the toasting with the hulls on them though..but there's more roughage
: for sure! ;-)

Those are probably the ones that I usually use, and like.
I enjoy the crunch of those hulls.
--thelma
: Janice
sf

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:46:39 -0400, Goomba38 wrote:

> Thelma Lubkin wrote:
>
> > Two times now, I have bought sesame seeds that have seemed totally
> > wimpy and not worth using. I've decided that these must be the 'white
> > sesame' seeds, and that I haven't got the vaguest notion of how to use
> > them.
> >
> > I use sesame seeds to sprinkle over vegetables in a stir fry,
> > sometimes in baking, and I keep a grinder filled w/ whole, toasted
> > sesame seed on the kitchen table right alongside the black pepper.
> >
> > Can someone tell me what I can do to get some taste from these white
> > ones?
> > --thanks, thelma
> >

> Have you toasted them? I buy large jars of toasted sesame seeds in the
> Asian food section at the commissary at a great price and keep them in
> the freezer. Untoasted seeds probably would be pretty bland..?
> Goomba

I thought she did - given she mentioned keeping toasted sesame seeds
in a grinder. If not, why not? Ask I.
sf

On 2 Jul 2005 03:42:33 GMT, Thelma Lubkin wrote:

> Thanks. I'll try that. I've had no problem toasting the brown
> sesame seed in the wok. I've also done that with the black,
> but the white must just be too delicate for fast toasting.
> --thelma

You can toast them in a pan, but you have to watch them carefully.
I use cast iron for this, btw. Start off by shaking the pan instead
of pushing them around with a spatula.
Arri London

Thelma Lubkin wrote:

> Arri London > wrote:
>
> : Thelma Lubkin wrote:
> :> ...I use sesame seeds to sprinkle over vegetables in a stir fry,
> :> sometimes in baking, and I keep a grinder filled w/ whole, toasted
> :> sesame seed on the kitchen table right alongside the black pepper.
> :>
> :> Can someone tell me what I can do to get some taste from these white
> :> ones?
> :> --thanks, thelma
>
> : Toast them first until they are light brown and fragrant. They will keep
> : in the fridge for ages in a tightly closed jar.
>
> I usually 'toast' my sesame seeds by tossing them in the wok
> using a wok spatula. When I try that with these, they stick
> together and to the spatula, so that I get clumps of seeds,
> some not toasted at all and others burned.
> What's a good method for toasting these?
>
> --thelma

In a dry flat cast iron frying pan on low heat. Failing that, spreading
them on a baking sheet and bake at low heat until light brown.