Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,alt.tv.food-network

Default Polynesian Gooey Butter Cake Ideas?

After watching on of Paula Deen's thanksgiving shows, where she made a
Pumpkin version, I realized that I could have fun developing new flavors.
Well, since I'm in Culinary school now, I decided to take a few of them in
to class Monday. One of the students that is graduating soon asked me
about developing a few for their graduation party, sure, why not. Okay,
the theme of the party is Polynesian. Bout the only 3 flavors I associate
with that theme are Pinapple, Coconut & Banana, some Searching yeilded
Papaya as one too. Now Pinapple and Papaya are pretty wet fruits, so I
don't know how well they'd do in this application. Macadamia was also
suggested, but I don't know what would be a good flavor to pair it up with.

So, any suggestions of flavors? I'll share the recipes when I get them
done

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,alt.tv.food-network

Mike H wrote:
> After watching on of Paula Deen's thanksgiving shows, where she made a
> Pumpkin version, I realized that I could have fun developing new flavors.
> Well, since I'm in Culinary school now, I decided to take a few of them in
> to class Monday. One of the students that is graduating soon asked me
> about developing a few for their graduation party, sure, why not. Okay,
> the theme of the party is Polynesian. Bout the only 3 flavors I associate
> with that theme are Pinapple, Coconut & Banana, some Searching yeilded
> Papaya as one too. Now Pinapple and Papaya are pretty wet fruits, so I
> don't know how well they'd do in this application. Macadamia was also
> suggested, but I don't know what would be a good flavor to pair it up with.
>
> So, any suggestions of flavors? I'll share the recipes when I get them
> done
>
> Thanks

I would try Pineapple and macadamia, they go well together, and I
think would make a good cake.
Rosie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 05:20:03 GMT, Mike H > wrote:

>After watching on of Paula Deen's thanksgiving shows, where she made a
>Pumpkin version, I realized that I could have fun developing new flavors.
>Well, since I'm in Culinary school now, I decided to take a few of them in
>to class Monday. One of the students that is graduating soon asked me
>about developing a few for their graduation party, sure, why not. Okay,
>the theme of the party is Polynesian. Bout the only 3 flavors I associate
>with that theme are Pinapple, Coconut & Banana, some Searching yeilded
>Papaya as one too. Now Pinapple and Papaya are pretty wet fruits, so I
>don't know how well they'd do in this application. Macadamia was also
>suggested, but I don't know what would be a good flavor to pair it up with.
>
>So, any suggestions of flavors? I'll share the recipes when I get them
>done
>
>Thanks

I don't know the cake recipe you're using... but macadamia goes really
well with coconut, pineapple or caramel/butterscotch.
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,alt.tv.food-network

In article 0>,
Mike H > wrote:

> So, any suggestions of flavors? I'll share the recipes when I get them
> done

Macadamia either alone or with coconut.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,alt.tv.food-network

Ranee Mueller > wrote in news:raneemdonot-
:

> Macadamia either alone or with coconut.

I'm gonna try
"Dark Chocolate w/ Coconut & Macadamias"
"Pinapple"
and maybe "Papaya Strawberry"

I think... Depends on what the "client" thinks of those ideas.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,alt.tv.food-network

Mike H wrote:
> After watching on of Paula Deen's thanksgiving shows, where she made a
> Pumpkin version, I realized that I could have fun developing new flavors.
> Well, since I'm in Culinary school now, I decided to take a few of them in
> to class Monday. One of the students that is graduating soon asked me
> about developing a few for their graduation party, sure, why not. Okay,
> the theme of the party is Polynesian. Bout the only 3 flavors I associate
> with that theme are Pinapple, Coconut & Banana, some Searching yeilded
> Papaya as one too. Now Pinapple and Papaya are pretty wet fruits, so I
> don't know how well they'd do in this application. Macadamia was also
> suggested, but I don't know what would be a good flavor to pair it up with.
>
> So, any suggestions of flavors? I'll share the recipes when I get them
> done
>
> Thanks

How 'bout macadamia nut & rum, garnished with toasted coconut curls?

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,alt.tv.food-network

Can use the dried version of the fruit to control"wetness". Would be
interested in the recipes.

Mike H wrote:
> After watching on of Paula Deen's thanksgiving shows, where she made a
> Pumpkin version, I realized that I could have fun developing new flavors.
> Well, since I'm in Culinary school now, I decided to take a few of them in
> to class Monday. One of the students that is graduating soon asked me
> about developing a few for their graduation party, sure, why not. Okay,
> the theme of the party is Polynesian. Bout the only 3 flavors I associate
> with that theme are Pinapple, Coconut & Banana, some Searching yeilded
> Papaya as one too. Now Pinapple and Papaya are pretty wet fruits, so I
> don't know how well they'd do in this application. Macadamia was also
> suggested, but I don't know what would be a good flavor to pair it up with.
>
> So, any suggestions of flavors? I'll share the recipes when I get them
> done
>
> Thanks

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,alt.tv.food-network

"tsr3" > wrote in news:1150325710.462196.147030
@r2g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Hi Mike--I made a Gooey Butter Cake using a Duncan Hines Pinapple
> Supreme cake mix. It turned out great. --r3

Great to know. They picked:

Pineapple Coconut which I'll make two variations of, one iwth Pinapple
Supreme and one with Coconut Supreme.

Orange Mango which I'll use a yellow mix on...

Dark Chocolate Macadamia w/ Coconut: devils food cake base. I'm also using
the Special Dark Cocoa.
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,alt.tv.food-network

Dennis > wrote in
:

> Can use the dried version of the fruit to control"wetness". Would be
> interested in the recipes

Actually, the solution, based on Paula Dean's recipe in the Lady & Son's
Cookbook is a 3rd egg in the filling. Guess it adds enough emulsifers to
set the filling up.

I'll start working on the first batch tonight or tomorrow.
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,alt.tv.food-network

Mike H wrote:
> After watching on of Paula Deen's thanksgiving shows, where she made a
> Pumpkin version, I realized that I could have fun developing new flavors.
> Well, since I'm in Culinary school now, I decided to take a few of them in
> to class Monday. One of the students that is graduating soon asked me
> about developing a few for their graduation party, sure, why not. Okay,
> the theme of the party is Polynesian. Bout the only 3 flavors I associate
> with that theme are Pinapple, Coconut & Banana, some Searching yeilded
> Papaya as one too. Now Pinapple and Papaya are pretty wet fruits, so I
> don't know how well they'd do in this application. Macadamia was also
> suggested, but I don't know what would be a good flavor to pair it up with.
>
> So, any suggestions of flavors? I'll share the recipes when I get them
> done

Here are Paula's variations:
http://www.recipelink.com/ch/2002/no...desserts2.html

I would make a custard from pineapple juice, an egg, cornstarch and a
little milk - cook until thickened and let cool. I would spread that
over the basic cake recipe and then add a layer of pineapple coated
with pineapple preserves - chill - and then before serving, top with
whipped cream, toasted coconut, and chopped macadamias.

-L.