Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Gooey Butter Cake

Try this instead of a boxed mix.

GOOEY BUTTER CAKE

Lemon Chess Gooey Butter Cake

Crust:
1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
1 large egg
Filling:
2 large lemons
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
2 large eggs
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
2 tablespoons white or yellow cornmeal
3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350
degrees F. Set aside an ungreased 9- by 13-inch pan.
For the crust, place the cake mix, melted butter, and egg in a large
mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for two
minutes. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a
rubber spatula. The batter should come together in a ball. With your
fingertips, pat the batter evenly over the bottom of the pan,
smoothing it out with your fingers until the top is smooth. Set the
pan aside.
For the filling, rinse and dry the lemons well. Grate the zest from
the lemons and set aside; you should have about 2 teaspoons. Cut the
lemons in half, and squeeze into a small bowl; you should have about 6
tablespoons. Set the juice aside.
Place the cream cheese in the same mixing bowl that was used to make
the crust, and with the same beaters (no need to clean either) blend
with an electric mixer on low speed until fluffy, 30 seconds. Stop the
machine and add the lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, melted butter, and
cornmeal and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and
add the confectioners' sugar. Beat on medium speed until the sugar is
well incorporated, 1 minute more. Stop the machine and scrape down the
sides of the bowl with the rubber spatula so that the filling covers
the entire surface and reaches the sides of the pan. Place the pan in
the oven.
Bake the cake until it is well browned but the center still jiggles
when you shake the pan, 45 to 47 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven
and place it on a wire rack to cool, 30 minutes. Cut into squares and
serve.
Store this cake, covered in aluminum foil, at room temperature for up
to 4 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Or freeze it,
wrapped in foil, for up to 6months. Thaw the cake overnight in the
refrigerator before serving.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 11:40:50 AM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:
> Try this instead of a boxed mix.
>
> GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
>
> Lemon Chess Gooey Butter Cake
>
> Crust:
> 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
> 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
> 1 large egg
> Filling:
> 2 large lemons
> 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
> 2 large eggs
> 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
> 2 tablespoons white or yellow cornmeal
> 3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
> Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350
> degrees F. Set aside an ungreased 9- by 13-inch pan.
> For the crust, place the cake mix, melted butter, and egg in a large
> mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for two
> minutes. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a
> rubber spatula. The batter should come together in a ball. With your
> fingertips, pat the batter evenly over the bottom of the pan,
> smoothing it out with your fingers until the top is smooth. Set the
> pan aside.
> For the filling, rinse and dry the lemons well. Grate the zest from
> the lemons and set aside; you should have about 2 teaspoons. Cut the
> lemons in half, and squeeze into a small bowl; you should have about 6
> tablespoons. Set the juice aside.
> Place the cream cheese in the same mixing bowl that was used to make
> the crust, and with the same beaters (no need to clean either) blend
> with an electric mixer on low speed until fluffy, 30 seconds. Stop the
> machine and add the lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, melted butter, and
> cornmeal and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and
> add the confectioners' sugar. Beat on medium speed until the sugar is
> well incorporated, 1 minute more. Stop the machine and scrape down the
> sides of the bowl with the rubber spatula so that the filling covers
> the entire surface and reaches the sides of the pan. Place the pan in
> the oven.
> Bake the cake until it is well browned but the center still jiggles
> when you shake the pan, 45 to 47 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven
> and place it on a wire rack to cool, 30 minutes. Cut into squares and
> serve.
> Store this cake, covered in aluminum foil, at room temperature for up
> to 4 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Or freeze it,
> wrapped in foil, for up to 6months. Thaw the cake overnight in the
> refrigerator before serving.
>
> Janet US

Oh Thanks for reminding me of this yummy cake, have nott made it in a while!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 11:40:50 AM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:
> Try this instead of a boxed mix.
>
> GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
>
> Lemon Chess Gooey Butter Cake
>
> Crust:
> 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix

What's this "*instead* of a boxed mix" thing?

That *is* using a boxed mix.

> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 10:55:47 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 11:40:50 AM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:
>> Try this instead of a boxed mix.
>>
>> GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
>>
>> Lemon Chess Gooey Butter Cake
>>
>> Crust:
>> 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix

>What's this "*instead* of a boxed mix" thing?
>
>That *is* using a boxed mix.
>>

>> Janet US

>--Bryan

The Gooey Butter cakes we made at Venture contained NO butter.

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 11:40:50 AM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:

> Try this instead of a boxed mix.
>
> GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
>
> Lemon Chess Gooey Butter Cake
>
> Crust:
> 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
> 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
> 1 large egg
> Filling:
> 2 large lemons
>
> Janet US

A bit of snippage.

The one I make doesn't contain lemon but golly this does sound good! And like this one it has noooooo calories. :-))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet, you missed something between scraping down the bowl and spreading the filling to
the edges of the cake base....?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 6:40:50 AM UTC-10, Janet B wrote:
> Try this instead of a boxed mix.
>
> GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
>
> Lemon Chess Gooey Butter Cake
>
> Crust:
> 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
> 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
> 1 large egg
> Filling:
> 2 large lemons
> 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
> 2 large eggs
> 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
> 2 tablespoons white or yellow cornmeal
> 3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
> Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350
> degrees F. Set aside an ungreased 9- by 13-inch pan.
> For the crust, place the cake mix, melted butter, and egg in a large
> mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for two
> minutes. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a
> rubber spatula. The batter should come together in a ball. With your
> fingertips, pat the batter evenly over the bottom of the pan,
> smoothing it out with your fingers until the top is smooth. Set the
> pan aside.
> For the filling, rinse and dry the lemons well. Grate the zest from
> the lemons and set aside; you should have about 2 teaspoons. Cut the
> lemons in half, and squeeze into a small bowl; you should have about 6
> tablespoons. Set the juice aside.
> Place the cream cheese in the same mixing bowl that was used to make
> the crust, and with the same beaters (no need to clean either) blend
> with an electric mixer on low speed until fluffy, 30 seconds. Stop the
> machine and add the lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, melted butter, and
> cornmeal and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and
> add the confectioners' sugar. Beat on medium speed until the sugar is
> well incorporated, 1 minute more. Stop the machine and scrape down the
> sides of the bowl with the rubber spatula so that the filling covers
> the entire surface and reaches the sides of the pan. Place the pan in
> the oven.
> Bake the cake until it is well browned but the center still jiggles
> when you shake the pan, 45 to 47 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven
> and place it on a wire rack to cool, 30 minutes. Cut into squares and
> serve.
> Store this cake, covered in aluminum foil, at room temperature for up
> to 4 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Or freeze it,
> wrapped in foil, for up to 6months. Thaw the cake overnight in the
> refrigerator before serving.
>
> Janet US

I've never heard of this dish before. Funny name! The cake(?) sounds pretty good though it might have a more detrimental effect on humans than Roundup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 12:55:33 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Janet, you missed something between scraping down the bowl and spreading the filling to
>the edges of the cake base....?
>
>N.

Yeah, I know. I copied from (Wayne?) years ago. But I figured that
we all could figure out how to pro cede.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 10:55:47 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 11:40:50 AM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:
>> Try this instead of a boxed mix.
>>
>> GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
>>
>> Lemon Chess Gooey Butter Cake
>>
>> Crust:
>> 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix

>What's this "*instead* of a boxed mix" thing?
>
>That *is* using a boxed mix.
>>

>> Janet US

>--Bryan

Bad choice of words on my part. I knew it as soon as I hit 'send.'
Mea Culpa
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 13:00:29 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 6:40:50 AM UTC-10, Janet B wrote:
>> Try this instead of a boxed mix.
>>
>> GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
>>
>> Lemon Chess Gooey Butter Cake

snip

>> Janet US

>I've never heard of this dish before. Funny name! The cake(?) sounds pretty good though it might have a more detrimental effect on humans than Roundup.

Too right!! )
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 3:00:35 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 6:40:50 AM UTC-10, Janet B wrote:
> > Try this instead of a boxed mix.
> >
> > GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
> >
> > Lemon Chess Gooey Butter Cake
> >
> > Crust:
> > 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
> > 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
> > 1 large egg
> > Filling:
> > 2 large lemons
> > 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
> > 2 large eggs
> > 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
> > 2 tablespoons white or yellow cornmeal
> > 3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
> > Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350
> > degrees F. Set aside an ungreased 9- by 13-inch pan.
> > For the crust, place the cake mix, melted butter, and egg in a large
> > mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for two
> > minutes. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a
> > rubber spatula. The batter should come together in a ball. With your
> > fingertips, pat the batter evenly over the bottom of the pan,
> > smoothing it out with your fingers until the top is smooth. Set the
> > pan aside.
> > For the filling, rinse and dry the lemons well. Grate the zest from
> > the lemons and set aside; you should have about 2 teaspoons. Cut the
> > lemons in half, and squeeze into a small bowl; you should have about 6
> > tablespoons. Set the juice aside.
> > Place the cream cheese in the same mixing bowl that was used to make
> > the crust, and with the same beaters (no need to clean either) blend
> > with an electric mixer on low speed until fluffy, 30 seconds. Stop the
> > machine and add the lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, melted butter, and
> > cornmeal and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and
> > add the confectioners' sugar. Beat on medium speed until the sugar is
> > well incorporated, 1 minute more. Stop the machine and scrape down the
> > sides of the bowl with the rubber spatula so that the filling covers
> > the entire surface and reaches the sides of the pan. Place the pan in
> > the oven.
> > Bake the cake until it is well browned but the center still jiggles
> > when you shake the pan, 45 to 47 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven
> > and place it on a wire rack to cool, 30 minutes. Cut into squares and
> > serve.
> > Store this cake, covered in aluminum foil, at room temperature for up
> > to 4 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Or freeze it,
> > wrapped in foil, for up to 6months. Thaw the cake overnight in the
> > refrigerator before serving.
> >
> > Janet US

> I've never heard of this dish before. Funny name! The cake(?) sounds pretty good though it might have a more detrimental effect on humans than Roundup.

It is a St. Louis thing. The bakery that popularized it (though not the
one that originated it) was right down the street from where Mr. Kuthe and
I attended high school. It's not really very good, but probably could be
if it were made from scratch from the best ingredients.

--Bryan