Posted to rec.food.cooking
Me Me is offline

Default "flat iron steak?"

I keep hearing about it or seeing it on menus. What cut of beef is it? I'm
sure it's just an advertising name. Does anyone know the origin? tia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
de de is offline

It's a Shoulder Top Blade steak cut from a chuck roast. came out about the
turn of the century, this one that is. It is going the same marketing star
route as Flank, Skirt and Brisket now days. Flat Iron in the PNW right now
is "On Special" for 5$ a lb while Chuck is 2.50$.

I recently read a survey conducted for some Cattleman Association that
concluded that only 30-34% of shoppers knew what cut of meat they should
buy for what and the cooking methods required for each. Men were taking a
big hunk of chuck and BBQing it because it was a big honking hunk of meat to
feed their buddies. Taking a brisket which was 1.99 a lb in TX last year
paying 3.99 for it up here because they read it made good BBQ and
destroying it by charring it till medium well inside and then serving it by
cutting with the grain. More and more meat is being consumer packaged at
the slaughter house and sold to market retailers to save the Butchers wages.
I had a small freezer given to me but they are only $100-150 now days so I
go the Cryovac route from Costco these days and just cut
and package my own. Buy Chickens for 39 a pound and Boston Butt for 2.29,
Ribs when on sale.

"Me" > wrote in message
>I keep hearing about it or seeing it on menus. What cut of beef is it?
>I'm sure it's just an advertising name. Does anyone know the origin? tia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 19:42:16 -0700, "Me" > wrote:

>I keep hearing about it or seeing it on menus. What cut of beef is it? I'm
>sure it's just an advertising name. Does anyone know the origin? tia

There are several legends on why it is called "Flat Iron Steak"
One alleges that the French called the grisle in the steak "iron
hard". The grisle is flat and very tough.
Another alleges an old NY flat iron company had/has a steak house in
it.

As far as the cut:

It was developed by research teams of University of Nebraska and the
University of Florida. The National Cattlemen’s Beef Association
funded research to make this tasty, tender economical steak available
to us today.
The beef cut is actually a top blade steak derived from the tender top
blade roast. The roast is separated into two pieces by cutting
horizontally through the center to remove the heavy connective tissue,
it ends up looking roughly flat iron in shape.
In its current use, it refers to a particular piece of meat cut in a
specific way.

Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 19:42:16 -0700, Me wrote:

> I keep hearing about it or seeing it on menus. What cut of beef is it? I'm
> sure it's just an advertising name. Does anyone know the origin? tia

Here's the story: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/flatironsteak.htm
However, my single experience with a flatiron (at a high end
restaurant) left me completely underwhelmed and I would *not* say it
was one of the two most tender muscles on a beef carcass.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Here's the story: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/flatironsteak.htm
> However, my single experience with a flatiron (at a high end
> restaurant) left me completely underwhelmed and I would *not* say it
> was one of the two most tender muscles on a beef carcass.

It's about like a strip steak with a little more flavor, but only a
little.

And some of what's being served as flatiron is probably coming from
almost the same spot as a real flatiron, because sometimes it's not as
wide and/or there's a flat tendon running through it that should have
been missed if it was cut right.

--Blair