Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's the procedure for proofing yeast?

Proofing yeast:

As I recall, mix some yeast (say, 1/2 tsp) and sugar (say 1 tsp) in a
little water (say 3 or 4 tbsp), leave at room temperature or a bit warmer
for, say 15 min. If foam forms yeast is ok?

If not, what is correct procedure?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

A politician thinks of the next election;
a statesman, the next generation.

James Freeman Clarke

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken Knecht" > wrote:
> Proofing yeast:
>
> As I recall, mix some yeast (say, 1/2 tsp) and sugar (say 1 tsp) in a
> little water (say 3 or 4 tbsp), leave at room temperature or a bit warmer
> for, say 15 min. If foam forms yeast is ok?
>
> If not, what is correct procedure?

That's the basic method, though the water added should be well above room
temperature. In "proofing" yeast, there is more to it than "proving" that
the yeast is still good. For the dried yeasts (active dry, instant, bread
machine, etc.), the yeast is inactivated by dehydrating it, so it must be
rehydrated with quite warm water to reactivate it, which the proofing does.
All of the yeast used must be rehydrated with warm water, not just a small
portion of it. If one knows the yeast is good and just wants to proceed
directly with the recipe without proofing, one one use much warmer water in
the recipe.

See the following web page for types of yeast and recommended water
temperatures:

http://www.redstaryeast.com/products.html

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:58:15 GMT, Ken Knecht wrote:

> Proofing yeast:
>
> As I recall, mix some yeast (say, 1/2 tsp) and sugar (say 1 tsp) in a
> little water (say 3 or 4 tbsp), leave at room temperature or a bit warmer
> for, say 15 min. If foam forms yeast is ok?
>
> If not, what is correct procedure?

water should be warmer than room temp... 110 for me. Use an instant
read thermometer to tell.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Knecht > wrote in
:

> Proofing yeast:
>
> As I recall, mix some yeast (say, 1/2 tsp) and sugar (say 1 tsp) in a
> little water (say 3 or 4 tbsp), leave at room temperature or a bit
> warmer for, say 15 min. If foam forms yeast is ok?
>
> If not, what is correct procedure?
>
> TIA

Yes, proof (prove the yeast is alive) separately in water. Don't follow
directions that just add yeast to other ingredients. Salt kills yeast. I
leave out salt anyway. YMMV.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Yes, proof (prove the yeast is alive) separately in water. Don't follow
> directions that just add yeast to other ingredients. Salt kills yeast. I
> leave out salt anyway. YMMV.
>
> Andy

Salt *in high enough concentrations* will kill yeast. The normal
amount used in bread (a few teaspoons per 4 C flour) won't
kill it, obviously. And I can't imagine leaving salt out of bread.
The saltless styles (Tuscan, etc) never appealed to me. Too
bland.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:58:15 GMT, Ken Knecht wrote:
>
>> Proofing yeast:
>>
>> As I recall, mix some yeast (say, 1/2 tsp) and sugar (say 1 tsp) in
>> a little water (say 3 or 4 tbsp), leave at room temperature or a
>> bit warmer for, say 15 min. If foam forms yeast is ok?
>>
>> If not, what is correct procedure?
>>

> water should be warmer than room temp... 110 for me. Use an instant
> read thermometer to tell.

110 to 115 degrees. Anything hotter will kill the yeast. Back in the good
old days no one needed a thermometer, one could just tell

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg > wrote in
. com:

> Andy wrote:
>
>> Yes, proof (prove the yeast is alive) separately in water. Don't
>> follow directions that just add yeast to other ingredients. Salt
>> kills yeast. I leave out salt anyway. YMMV.
>>
>> Andy

> Salt *in high enough concentrations* will kill yeast. The normal
> amount used in bread (a few teaspoons per 4 C flour) won't
> kill it, obviously. And I can't imagine leaving salt out of bread.
> The saltless styles (Tuscan, etc) never appealed to me. Too
> bland.

Reg,

I don't bake bread. I love Trader Joe's "No-Sodium" whole wheat bread. A
blood pressure thing.

I have tried my hand at focaccia but failed miserably every time, dammit!

All the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Reg,
>
> I don't bake bread. I love Trader Joe's "No-Sodium" whole wheat bread. A
> blood pressure thing.

I probably use too much salt for my own good. I eat no
processed foods whatsoever but I'm pretty sure I'm too heavy
handed with the salt shaker. I live an outdoor lifestyle though
and hopefully all the exercise helps mitigate things a bit.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg > wrote in
. com:

> Andy wrote:
>
>> Reg,
>>
>> I don't bake bread. I love Trader Joe's "No-Sodium" whole wheat
>> bread. A blood pressure thing.

> I probably use too much salt for my own good. I eat no
> processed foods whatsoever but I'm pretty sure I'm too heavy
> handed with the salt shaker. I live an outdoor lifestyle though
> and hopefully all the exercise helps mitigate things a bit.

Reg,

You and many folks are immune to high blood pressure. I'm not. One-a-day
blood pressure "for life" medicine has helped.

I must add, with daily walking (4.6 miles) up and down hill course, my
b/p has come way down, as well as my weight.

I keep a close eye on my b/p. Today was 75/110.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 15:48:26 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Reg > wrote in
.com:

>> Andy wrote:
>>
>>> Reg,
>>>
>>> I don't bake bread. I love Trader Joe's "No-Sodium" whole wheat
>>> bread. A blood pressure thing.

>> I probably use too much salt for my own good. I eat no
>> processed foods whatsoever but I'm pretty sure I'm too heavy
>> handed with the salt shaker. I live an outdoor lifestyle though
>> and hopefully all the exercise helps mitigate things a bit.

>Reg,
>
>You and many folks are immune to high blood pressure. I'm not. One-a-day
>blood pressure "for life" medicine has helped.
>
>I must add, with daily walking (4.6 miles) up and down hill course, my
>b/p has come way down, as well as my weight.
>
>I keep a close eye on my b/p. Today was 75/110.
>
>Andy

Let's hope you meant 110/75.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote in
:

>>I keep a close eye on my b/p. Today was 75/110.
>>
>>Andy

> Let's hope you meant 110/75.
>
> Boron

Yepper. That's it.

Anyd

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:58:15 GMT, Ken Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> Proofing yeast:
>>>
>>> As I recall, mix some yeast (say, 1/2 tsp) and sugar (say 1 tsp) in
>>> a little water (say 3 or 4 tbsp), leave at room temperature or a
>>> bit warmer for, say 15 min. If foam forms yeast is ok?
>>>
>>> If not, what is correct procedure?
>>>

>> water should be warmer than room temp... 110 for me. Use an instant
>> read thermometer to tell.

> 110 to 115 degrees. Anything hotter will kill the yeast. Back in the
> good
> old days no one needed a thermometer, one could just tell
>
> Jill

My finger in the yeast-water tells me. You don't need sugar, and you only
need to wait 3-5 minutes, at most. 3 bubbles is all you need. I always try
to think I am in the 19th Century, and I always try to relate to "how did
they do it!" With proofing, I've never been misled.
You need to clean your finger first, and even then, make sure no one,
especially, the Mrs., doesn't see you.
Kent

proofing yeast Mark Thorson General Cooking 24 14-10-2013 06:19 PM
New breadmaker, different procedure. Adam Funk[_2_] General Cooking 8 27-03-2008 08:43 PM
Sanitizing Procedure Andrew Winemaking 9 18-10-2006 03:58 AM
BWB procedure Kathi Jones Preserving 22 26-02-2005 01:24 AM
Proofing yeast Ken Knecht General Cooking 9 13-11-2004 05:25 PM