Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Sanitizing Procedure

Hello. I'm hoping that someone could help me with my santizing
procedure. Currently I make a few wines from kits and other small
batches from fruit and honey.

Up until now I've only ever washed my equipment and bottles with Sparkle
Bright, rinsing with tap water and have not had any problems. Is there a
better method?

Thanks,
Andrew
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Andrew,
I use B-Brite for cleaning (which is probably the same, but I don't
know) then I rinse with water, then I sulfite with Sodium
Metabisulfite. _no rinsing after that. Never had a problem. Then
again, I never had a problem before using this routine, either. A lot
depends on how long you expect you wine to last after you make it. IMO
if you're going to drink it within 8 months anyway, you'll probably be
ok w/o the SMS, but there are risks involved, and they'll change with
the alcohol content and pH level of the wine.
In short, sulfite, sulfite, sulfite.

Andrew wrote:
> Hello. I'm hoping that someone could help me with my santizing
> procedure. Currently I make a few wines from kits and other small
> batches from fruit and honey.
>
> Up until now I've only ever washed my equipment and bottles with Sparkle
> Bright, rinsing with tap water and have not had any problems. Is there a
> better method?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Suggestion; add a few grams of citric acid when you make up your KMS
solution. For santizing, I usually make a 5% KMS solution, with about a 1%
citric acid additive.

"Andrew" > wrote in message
> That's what I needed to know. I was unsure about the sulphite as the
> Sparkle bright smeels of chlorine and I thought it was good enough. Sounds
> like a little extra work for a safer end product. I'll buy some this week.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Andrew
>
> wrote:
>> Andrew,
>> I use B-Brite for cleaning (which is probably the same, but I don't
>> know) then I rinse with water, then I sulfite with Sodium
>> Metabisulfite. _no rinsing after that. Never had a problem. Then
>> again, I never had a problem before using this routine, either. A lot
>> depends on how long you expect you wine to last after you make it. IMO
>> if you're going to drink it within 8 months anyway, you'll probably be
>> ok w/o the SMS, but there are risks involved, and they'll change with
>> the alcohol content and pH level of the wine.
>> In short, sulfite, sulfite, sulfite.
>>

>> Andrew wrote:
>>
>>>Hello. I'm hoping that someone could help me with my santizing
>>>procedure. Currently I make a few wines from kits and other small
>>>batches from fruit and honey.
>>>
>>>Up until now I've only ever washed my equipment and bottles with Sparkle
>>>Bright, rinsing with tap water and have not had any problems. Is there a
>>>better method?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

rinse out that sparkle brite well

Andrew wrote:
> That's what I needed to know. I was unsure about the sulphite as the
> Sparkle bright smeels of chlorine and I thought it was good enough.
> Sounds like a little extra work for a safer end product. I'll buy some
> this week.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Andrew
>
> wrote:
> > Andrew,
> > I use B-Brite for cleaning (which is probably the same, but I don't
> > know) then I rinse with water, then I sulfite with Sodium
> > Metabisulfite. _no rinsing after that. Never had a problem. Then
> > again, I never had a problem before using this routine, either. A lot
> > depends on how long you expect you wine to last after you make it. IMO
> > if you're going to drink it within 8 months anyway, you'll probably be
> > ok w/o the SMS, but there are risks involved, and they'll change with
> > the alcohol content and pH level of the wine.
> > In short, sulfite, sulfite, sulfite.
> >

> > Andrew wrote:
> >
> >>Hello. I'm hoping that someone could help me with my santizing
> >>procedure. Currently I make a few wines from kits and other small
> >>batches from fruit and honey.
> >>
> >>Up until now I've only ever washed my equipment and bottles with Sparkle
> >>Bright, rinsing with tap water and have not had any problems. Is there a
> >>better method?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Oxiclean is much better and safer for wine and beermaking. I formally
used chlorine but not anymore. Oxiclean actually cleans organic stains
like that white film that forms on the destemmer great, where chlorine
doesn't.

Bob

Andrew wrote:
> Hello. I'm hoping that someone could help me with my santizing
> procedure. Currently I make a few wines from kits and other small
> batches from fruit and honey.
>
> Up until now I've only ever washed my equipment and bottles with Sparkle
> Bright, rinsing with tap water and have not had any problems. Is there a
> better method?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Andrew-

I use Iodophor and NaMS / KMS. For unknown equipment I soak it in
iodophor solution (2 caps / 5 gallons = 12.5 ppm). That's a
sterilizer- 60 seconds of contact kills.

It's a no-rinse sanitizer so you *could* leave it in contact- I have
waffled back and forth yet for wine (for beer it doesn't matter).
Maybe this year I'll try a few bottles each way and rack them for a
year and see if I can taste/smell a difference. Either way, drain it
well or rinse it well.

Sometimes if I'm feeling particularly difficult I'll even rinse the
bottles with NaMS/Citric, then rinse again.

No problems so far.

Jason

Andrew wrote:
> Hello. I'm hoping that someone could help me with my santizing
> procedure. Currently I make a few wines from kits and other small
> batches from fruit and honey.
>
> Up until now I've only ever washed my equipment and bottles with Sparkle
> Bright, rinsing with tap water and have not had any problems. Is there a
> better method?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

What do you add the citric acid to the NaMS? Just curious!

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Andrew-
>
> I use Iodophor and NaMS / KMS. For unknown equipment I soak it in
> iodophor solution (2 caps / 5 gallons = 12.5 ppm). That's a
> sterilizer- 60 seconds of contact kills.
>
> It's a no-rinse sanitizer so you *could* leave it in contact- I have
> waffled back and forth yet for wine (for beer it doesn't matter).
> Maybe this year I'll try a few bottles each way and rack them for a
> year and see if I can taste/smell a difference. Either way, drain it
> well or rinse it well.
>
> Sometimes if I'm feeling particularly difficult I'll even rinse the
> bottles with NaMS/Citric, then rinse again.
>
> No problems so far.
>
> Jason
>

> Andrew wrote:
>> Hello. I'm hoping that someone could help me with my santizing
>> procedure. Currently I make a few wines from kits and other small
>> batches from fruit and honey.
>>
>> Up until now I've only ever washed my equipment and bottles with Sparkle
>> Bright, rinsing with tap water and have not had any problems. Is there a
>> better method?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

NaMS is cheaper than KMS. So I use (Sodium Metabisulfite) for
sanitizing and leave the KMS for additions.

The Citric Acid enhances the sanitization by shifting the pH.

Jason

Eric P. wrote:
> What do you add the citric acid to the NaMS? Just curious!
>
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Andrew-
> >
> > I use Iodophor and NaMS / KMS. For unknown equipment I soak it in
> > iodophor solution (2 caps / 5 gallons = 12.5 ppm). That's a
> > sterilizer- 60 seconds of contact kills.
> >
> > It's a no-rinse sanitizer so you *could* leave it in contact- I have
> > waffled back and forth yet for wine (for beer it doesn't matter).
> > Maybe this year I'll try a few bottles each way and rack them for a
> > year and see if I can taste/smell a difference. Either way, drain it
> > well or rinse it well.
> >
> > Sometimes if I'm feeling particularly difficult I'll even rinse the
> > bottles with NaMS/Citric, then rinse again.
> >
> > No problems so far.
> >
> > Jason
> >

> > Andrew wrote:
> >> Hello. I'm hoping that someone could help me with my santizing
> >> procedure. Currently I make a few wines from kits and other small
> >> batches from fruit and honey.
> >>
> >> Up until now I've only ever washed my equipment and bottles with Sparkle
> >> Bright, rinsing with tap water and have not had any problems. Is there a
> >> better method?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Huh! I never thought of oxyclean. I use bleach on anything that I
haven't used in a while, or anything will a visible stain or film.
Then I rinse it 3 to 5 times with clear water, or until all bleach
smell is gone.

Before using all equipment I rinse it in NaMS, and just shake off the
excess -- no further rinsing.

I normally use 2 oz of NaMS in 1 gallon water -- I recently made up a
batch of 4 oz in 1 gallon. Won't do that again -- the odor is so
violent and rough on the sinuses that I have to have a fan running. On
the bright side, I'm sure it kills everything it touches! :-)

Bryan