Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Midweek Baking

Well, it's Wednesday night so not usually the time when I have a big
baking blitz, but it's for a special cause. The Customs officers at work
are having a fundraising event tomorrow. One of their colleagues has
breast cancer and they're helping her raise money for a particular
medication. They're holding a morning and afternoon tea - various people
are donating the goodies, you come along and pay $2 for all you can eat.

I've made a batch of Molasses Sugar Cookies (from Barb's recipe, and with
some of the molasses left from the supply Barb sent me for the
gingerbread at Christmas). I made these at Christmas time and they're
very good - I have to give them away though as I find them very moreish!

I've also made 2 Apricot and Walnut Loaves
(http://www.pauls.com.au/products/pro...subsection/164)
- didn't have any buttermilk so just soured some milk and used that and a
Chocolate Coconut Slice
(http://www.cadbury.com.au/sites/cadb...php?pageId=141) - just
waiting for this to finish cooling so I can ice it and then go to bed!

I think that will have to do - everything seems to have turned out OK.
Hopefully there'll be plenty of other contributions as well and they'll
raise a goodly amount.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
. 5...
> Well, it's Wednesday night so not usually the time when I have a big
> baking blitz, but it's for a special cause. The Customs officers at work
> are having a fundraising event tomorrow. One of their colleagues has
> breast cancer and they're helping her raise money for a particular
> medication. They're holding a morning and afternoon tea - various people
> are donating the goodies, you come along and pay $2 for all you can eat.
>
> I've made a batch of Molasses Sugar Cookies (from Barb's recipe, and with
> some of the molasses left from the supply Barb sent me for the
> gingerbread at Christmas). I made these at Christmas time and they're
> very good - I have to give them away though as I find them very moreish!
>
> I've also made 2 Apricot and Walnut Loaves
> (http://www.pauls.com.au/products/pro...subsection/164)
> - didn't have any buttermilk so just soured some milk and used that and a
> Chocolate Coconut Slice
> (http://www.cadbury.com.au/sites/cadb...php?pageId=141) - just
> waiting for this to finish cooling so I can ice it and then go to bed!
>
> I think that will have to do - everything seems to have turned out OK.
> Hopefully there'll be plenty of other contributions as well and they'll
> raise a goodly amount.
>
> --
> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

===========

Good luck Rhonda! I hope they raise all that they need and then some...

--
Syssi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Rhonda Anderson > wrote:

> Well, it's Wednesday night so not usually the time when I have a big
> baking blitz, but it's for a special cause. The Customs officers at work
> are having a fundraising event tomorrow. One of their colleagues has
> breast cancer and they're helping her raise money for a particular
> medication. They're holding a morning and afternoon tea - various people
> are donating the goodies, you come along and pay $2 for all you can eat.
>
> I've made a batch of Molasses Sugar Cookies (from Barb's recipe, and with
> some of the molasses left from the supply Barb sent me for the
> gingerbread at Christmas). I made these at Christmas time and they're
> very good - I have to give them away though as I find them very moreish!
>
> I've also made 2 Apricot and Walnut Loaves
> (http://www.pauls.com.au/products/pro...subsection/164)
> - didn't have any buttermilk so just soured some milk and used that and a
> Chocolate Coconut Slice
> (http://www.cadbury.com.au/sites/cadb...php?pageId=141) - just
> waiting for this to finish cooling so I can ice it and then go to bed!
>
> I think that will have to do - everything seems to have turned out OK.
> Hopefully there'll be plenty of other contributions as well and they'll
> raise a goodly amount.

Hey, you! I just got around to reading this.
Apricot Nut Bread looks like something I make, too. I love it. I love
apricots!

I'm curious about the Chocolate Coconut Slice recipe, though. The
butter measure is a weight measure. All others are volume. Any idea
why the differences? The Apricot Bread recipe also contains a mix of
measuring systems. Or is there something I don't understand about it
all. (I can always use more education, eh?)

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-23-06; The Cool, Cool,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> Hey, you! I just got around to reading this.
> Apricot Nut Bread looks like something I make, too. I love it. I
> love apricots!
>
> I'm curious about the Chocolate Coconut Slice recipe, though. The
> butter measure is a weight measure. All others are volume. Any idea
> why the differences? The Apricot Bread recipe also contains a mix of
> measuring systems. Or is there something I don't understand about it
> all. (I can always use more education, eh?)

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. Haven't been to RFC for a while. All went
down very well - all went quickly. There were plenty of contributions
(only a couple of us brought in homemade, though, and they were the first
to be eaten up, I think) and a good amount of money raised.

Australian recipes rarely use volume measures for butter/margarine/solid
shortening of any sort. Even if volumes are used for other ingredients,
butter will mostly be in weight. I've seen some recipes which call for
one or two tablespoons of butter, but that would be about the limit to
it. Any larger quantity than that would normally be by weight.

Often recipes will give both weight and volume for dry ingredients.Not
sure why the apricot loaf recipe uses cups for the apricots and walnuts,
but weights for the other dry ingredients.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Syssi" > wrote in

> "Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
> . 5...
>> Well, it's Wednesday night so not usually the time when I have a big
>> baking blitz, but it's for a special cause. The Customs officers at
>> work are having a fundraising event tomorrow. One of their colleagues
>> has breast cancer and they're helping her raise money for a
>> particular medication. They're holding a morning and afternoon tea -
>> various people are donating the goodies, you come along and pay $2
>> for all you can eat.
>>

> Good luck Rhonda! I hope they raise all that they need and then
> some...

Only just reading this - it did all go well. They raised a fair bit but
there's still more needed - they have ongoing fundraising, though - like
having a stock of cans of soft drink and chocolates etc. that we can
purchase rather than patronising the vending machines.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I'm curious about the Chocolate Coconut Slice recipe, though. The
> butter measure is a weight measure. All others are volume. Any idea
> why the differences?

Butter and margarine here are sold in 250g or 500g packets. (¼ or ½lb
measures approx)
The butter usually has gm markings on the outside of the wrapper.

A leftover from our colonial roots with the UK no doubt.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"