Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default for those who asked about the dolphin "fish".

Here's a photo of a dolphin fish (not the mammal, like Flipper <g> )

http://www.matty-j.com/images/Dolphi...Costa_Rica.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:
> Here's a photo of a dolphin fish (not the mammal, like Flipper <g> )
>
> http://www.matty-j.com/images/Dolphi...Costa_Rica.jpg

Are you sure? I think dolphin fish refer to a mammal fish.
See here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin

--
http://www.cookdojo.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lorento wrote:

>> Here's a photo of a dolphin fish (not the mammal, like Flipper <g> )
>>
>> http://www.matty-j.com/images/Dolphi...Costa_Rica.jpg

> Are you sure? I think dolphin fish refer to a mammal fish.
> See here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin

Since you were already in wikipedia, did you even LOOK for mahi-mahi, which
is where the discussion of the FISH called "dolphin" arose? If you had taken
that oh-so-simple step, you'd have seen that nancree was right:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahi-mahi

The Mahi-mahi (Coryphaena hippurus), also known as dolphin, dolphin-fish, or
dorado, are surface-dwelling ray-finned fish found in off-shore tropical and
subtropical waters world-wide. They are one of only two members of the
Coryphaenidae family, the other being the Pompano dolphinfish. The name
"mahi-mahi" ("strong-strong" in Hawaiian), particularly on restaurant menus,
has been adopted in recent years to avoid confusing these fish with
dolphins, members of the porpoise family, which are mammals.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Jun 2006 23:07:43 -0700, lorento wrote:

> nancree wrote:
> > Here's a photo of a dolphin fish (not the mammal, like Flipper <g> )
> >
> > http://www.matty-j.com/images/Dolphi...Costa_Rica.jpg

> Are you sure? I think dolphin fish refer to a mammal fish.

*Fish* are not mammals.
http://tinyurl.com/ojklq

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lorento" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> nancree wrote:
> > Here's a photo of a dolphin fish (not the mammal, like Flipper <g> )
> >
> > http://www.matty-j.com/images/Dolphi...Costa_Rica.jpg

> Are you sure? I think dolphin fish refer to a mammal fish.
> See here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin
>
> --
> http://www.cookdojo.com

Okay, here comes the 'Fishlady' to the rescue. Dolphins ARE mammals, this
however is what is called a 'Dolphin Fish' otherwise known as a Mahi-Mahi
($9.99 lb in my establishment) and is known for its taste as ease of
cooking. It has been yuppified to a high art form. The picture posted
matches those in my order books, this is a dolphin fish, a cold blooded,
non-mammal, FISH. <<<VBG>>>>
-Ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lorento" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> nancree wrote:
>> Here's a photo of a dolphin fish (not the mammal, like Flipper <g> )
>>
>> http://www.matty-j.com/images/Dolphi...Costa_Rica.jpg

> Are you sure? I think dolphin fish refer to a mammal fish.
> See here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin
>
> --
> http://www.cookdojo.com

No, dolphins are dolphins, dolphin fish are dorados. See he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_fish

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:
> Here's a photo of a dolphin fish (not the mammal, like Flipper <g> )
>
> http://www.matty-j.com/images/Dolphi...Costa_Rica.jpg

That is one annoyed looking fish. Why am I reminded of J. Edger
Hoover?

And what is the best way to prepare a dolphin fish?

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 2 Jun 2006 23:07:43 -0700, lorento wrote:
>
>> nancree wrote:
>> > Here's a photo of a dolphin fish (not the mammal, like Flipper <g> )
>> >
>> > http://www.matty-j.com/images/Dolphi...Costa_Rica.jpg

>> Are you sure? I think dolphin fish refer to a mammal fish.

There are too many animals called "dolphin".

dolphin = Flipper, the mammal, often found in aquarium shows

very different from:

dolphin = dolphin fish = dorado/mahi-mahi often found on a plate

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester > wrote:

>dolphin = Flipper, the mammal, often found in aquarium shows
>
>very different from:
>
>dolphin = dolphin fish = dorado/mahi-mahi often found on a plate

Am I correct in thinking that the "dolphin fish" name
derives from the fish's gymnastic ability, which to some
gamefishermen resembles that of a (mammalian) dolphin?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 17:35:40 GMT, Puester wrote:

> sf wrote:

> >> Are you sure? I think dolphin fish refer to a mammal fish.

> There are too many animals called "dolphin".
>
> dolphin = Flipper, the mammal, often found in aquarium shows
>
> very different from:
>
> dolphin = dolphin fish = dorado/mahi-mahi often found on a plate

Back when I was a kid, Flipper hadn't been on TV yet. Dolphin were
fish and porpoises were mammals. Maybe the marine biologists hadn't
decided the fine differences between them yet, who knows (who cares)?
In preFlipper days, we didn't know the fine differences between
smaller cetaceans. So when I say dolphin, I mean the fish. If I'm
talking about the mammal, I'll specify what I'm talking about by
saying bottlenosed Dolphin.
http://www.nhm.org/research/mammals/...p/dolporp.html

With that said, I've learned to call the fish Mahi-Mahi because
I'm on the West Coast now and that's what they say here.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> nancree wrote:
>> Here's a photo of a dolphin fish (not the mammal, like Flipper <g> )

http://www.matty-j.com/images/Dolphi...Costa_Rica.jpg

> That is one annoyed looking fish. Why am I reminded of J. Edger
> Hoover?

Is the fish wearing a dress?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 09:01:32 -0400, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

>Okay, here comes the 'Fishlady' to the rescue. Dolphins ARE mammals, this
>however is what is called a 'Dolphin Fish' otherwise known as a Mahi-Mahi
>($9.99 lb in my establishment) and is known for its taste as ease of
>cooking. It has been yuppified to a high art form. The picture posted
>matches those in my order books, this is a dolphin fish, a cold blooded,
>non-mammal, FISH. <<<VBG>>>>
>-Ginny

I remember up until the mid sixties, there was no confusion between
the mammal and the fish. That is about the time there was a program on
tv, where some kids had porpoise "friends". After that it seemed there
was confusion.
--
Pan Ohco
I would like to see the bottom of my monitor, but I have cats.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> wrote:
> > nancree wrote:
> >> Here's a photo of a dolphin fish (not the mammal, like Flipper <g> )

http://www.matty-j.com/images/Dolphi...Costa_Rica.jpg

> > That is one annoyed looking fish. Why am I reminded of J. Edger
> > Hoover?
> >

> Is the fish wearing a dress?
>
> Bob

-------------------
LOL
Thanks,
Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 17:40:44 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> Puester > wrote:
>
> >dolphin = Flipper, the mammal, often found in aquarium shows
> >
> >very different from:
> >
> >dolphin = dolphin fish = dorado/mahi-mahi often found on a plate

> Am I correct in thinking that the "dolphin fish" name
> derives from the fish's gymnastic ability, which to some
> gamefishermen resembles that of a (mammalian) dolphin?

They are definately game fish and even the little ones are exciting to
catch. I remember (as a kid) our fishing boat was in a school of them
- they were biting at everything, they didn't even need to bait their
lines. Jokes about them jumping into the boat abounded that day.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:

>>> Are you sure? I think dolphin fish refer to a mammal fish.

> There are too many animals called "dolphin".
>
> dolphin = Flipper, the mammal, often found in aquarium shows
>
> very different from:
>
> dolphin = dolphin fish = dorado/mahi-mahi often found on a plate
>
> gloria p

Let's add to the confusion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porpoise
http://www.theporpoisepage.com/porpvdolph.php

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
" >
wrote:

> That is one annoyed looking fish. Why am I reminded of J. Edger
> Hoover?
>
> And what is the best way to prepare a dolphin fish?

When cut into steaks, they are perfect for grilling over charcoal.
Prepare a marinade by heating slivers of garlic and a few sage leaves in
some olive oil. When the garlic just starts to brown around the edges
turn off the heat and discard the garlic and sage. When the coals are
ready, dip the fish steaks in the oil on both sides, salt and pepper to
taste, and put on grill. Cook on both sides until done to taste and
serve immediately with garnish of choice. I still like melted butter
with parsley and lemon juice. Mahi-mahi also does well with baking.

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

**** it. I'm gonna go thaw out a filet of farmed salmon and broil it
with a little cajun spice.