Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crepe recipes/machine questions?

I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make them.
Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the batter, take out
and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems simple, but is it?

Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well and
also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that is
very good?

Thanks,
Mark
'Quod scripsi scripsi' - 'What I have written I have Written.'-- Pontius Pilate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
FERRANTE > wrote:

> I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make them.
> Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the batter, take out
> and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems simple, but is it?
>
> Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well and
> also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that is
> very good?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
> 'Quod scripsi scripsi' - 'What I have written I have Written.'-- Pontius
> Pilate

A steel bowl, a whisk, a small ladle and a well greased Crepe' pan. <G>

Snitched from here, but about the same as mom's:

http://baking.about.com/cs/pancakes/a/basiccrepes.htm

Basic Crepe Recipe From Carroll Pellegrinelli,Your Guide to Desserts /
Baking.

4 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons melted butter

Measure all ingredients in to blender jar; blend for 30 seconds. Scrape
down sides. Blend for 15 seconds more. Cover and let sit for 1 hour.
(This helps the flour absorb more of the liquids.) Makes 12-14 crepes.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> FERRANTE > wrote:
>
> > I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make them.
> > Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the batter, take out
> > and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems simple, but is it?
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well and
> > also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that is
> > very good?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark
> > 'Quod scripsi scripsi' - 'What I have written I have Written.'-- Pontius
> > Pilate

> A steel bowl, a whisk, a small ladle and a well greased Crepe' pan. <G>

I agree. I have a crepe maker. It's next to useless. It sits in the back of
the cupboard and when I make crepes I use three different frying pans, one
cast, one steel and one Tfel and they all do a better job that the crepe
maker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't see how a machine would save any work at all when making crepes,
unless the batter is a mix - in which case your mileage may vary. Crepes
have to be watched to be cooked properly, not like throwing something in a
crock pot.

cheers

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> FERRANTE > wrote:
>
> > I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make them.
> > Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the batter, take out
> > and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems simple, but is it?
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well and
> > also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that is
> > very good?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark
> > 'Quod scripsi scripsi' - 'What I have written I have Written.'-- Pontius
> > Pilate

> A steel bowl, a whisk, a small ladle and a well greased Crepe' pan. <G>
>
> Snitched from here, but about the same as mom's:
>
> http://baking.about.com/cs/pancakes/a/basiccrepes.htm
>
> Basic Crepe Recipe From Carroll Pellegrinelli,Your Guide to Desserts /
> Baking.
>
> 4 eggs
> 1 cup flour
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1/2 cup water
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2 tablespoons melted butter
>
> Measure all ingredients in to blender jar; blend for 30 seconds. Scrape
> down sides. Blend for 15 seconds more. Cover and let sit for 1 hour.
> (This helps the flour absorb more of the liquids.) Makes 12-14 crepes.
> --
> Peace!
> Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rox formerly rmg wrote on 24 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I don't see how a machine would save any work at all when making
> crepes, unless the batter is a mix - in which case your mileage may
> vary. Crepes have to be watched to be cooked properly, not like
> throwing something in a crock pot.
>
> cheers
>

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > FERRANTE > wrote:
> >
> > > I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make
> > > them. Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the
> > > batter, take out and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems
> > > simple, but is it?
> > >
> > > Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well and
> > > also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that
> > > is very good?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mark
> > > 'Quod scripsi scripsi' - 'What I have written I have Written.'--
> > > Pontius Pilate

> > A steel bowl, a whisk, a small ladle and a well greased Crepe' pan.
> > <G>
> >
> > Snitched from here, but about the same as mom's:
> >
> > http://baking.about.com/cs/pancakes/a/basiccrepes.htm
> >
> > Basic Crepe Recipe From Carroll Pellegrinelli,Your Guide to Desserts
> > / Baking.
> >
> > 4 eggs
> > 1 cup flour
> > 1/2 cup milk
> > 1/2 cup water
> > 1/2 teaspoon salt
> > 2 tablespoons melted butter
> >
> > Measure all ingredients in to blender jar; blend for 30 seconds.
> > Scrape down sides. Blend for 15 seconds more. Cover and let sit for
> > 1 hour. (This helps the flour absorb more of the liquids.) Makes
> > 12-14 crepes. --
> > Peace!
> > Om
> >
> > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> > -- Jack Nicholson

Most of the recipes for crepes I've liked; required the batter to sit
overnight in the fridge...So I'd suggest look for recipes that rest the
batter overnight.

--
-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE"
>I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make them.
> Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the batter, take out
> and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems simple, but is it?
>
> Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well and
> also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that is
> very good?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Crepes have been a tradition in our family for generations. They came to us
from France via my great-great grandmother. Growing up, we had
them almost every Sunday, as did my mother, as did her mother. Except, we
didn't call them crepes. We called them "fritters". Once, as a little
girl, I remember my grandfather saying that the "fritter" was a poor man's
crepe.
Fritters and fried eggs were the main course and fritters rolled with
strawberry jam was the dessert. The only difference I see between what
we call fritters and today's crepes is the addition of sugars and other
flavorings.

My grandmother mixed them up with a hand held rotory beater and fried them
on a large cast iron flat skillet in lard. My mother used a blender and
fried them using a inverted dome shaped cast iron crepe pan seasoned with
butter. I use a bowl and whisk and fry them using two small saute pans
seasoned with olive oil. My son still uses the cast iron crepe pan.

The recipe has never changed. Sometimes, to save time, I will mix the
batter up the night before and store it in the fridge, but not always.

Mix together, however you want, the following ingredients "Per Person".
The batter should be VERY thin so keep the milk handy as your frying.
Fry to a light golden brown then turn over for about 3-4 seconds.

1 egg
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 pinch of salt

Thanks for letting me share, it was fun.
Mag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE > wrote in
:

> I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make them.
> Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the batter, take out
> and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems simple, but is it?
>
> Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well and
> also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that is
> very good?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
> 'Quod scripsi scripsi' - 'What I have written I have Written.'--
> Pontius Pilate

An electric skillet will give you better temperature control. The crepe I
ate about three weeks ago in Paris was made on a round crepe pan and then
folded square. I got an aha moment right then and thought of my electric
skillet.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE wrote:

> I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make them.
> Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the batter, take out
> and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems simple, but is it?
>
> Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well and
> also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that is
> very good?

I make mine in a $10 non-stick frying pan that I bought at the local
mega-mart. I only use it for crepes and it's the only piece of non-stick
cookware I have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> In article >,
>> FERRANTE > wrote:
>>
>>> I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make them.
>>> Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the batter, take out
>>> and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems simple, but is it?
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well and
>>> also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that is
>>> very good?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark

I can't imagine that a "machine" would do a better or faster job than my
3 or 4 small Teflon skillets, used at the same time. I never make
crepes except for company, and they go very quickly when using multiple
pans. One pan/one machine takes forever.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

You don't need to buy two crepe pans. One small pan will do, and when
you want to cook the other side, just tip it into a regular frying
pan.. The first (little) pan will have cooked it enough so it won't
spread when you put it in the regular pan.
I also like my electric crepe cooker/shaper. It has a rounded
surface (teflon coated) which you dip into your dish of batter, and
then it cooks a very nice, very thin crepe, which doesn't need to be
cooked on the other side.
Enjoy, Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:

> You don't need to buy two crepe pans. One small pan will do, and when
> you want to cook the other side, just tip it into a regular frying
> pan.. The first (little) pan will have cooked it enough so it won't
> spread when you put it in the regular pan.
> I also like my electric crepe cooker/shaper. It has a rounded
> surface (teflon coated) which you dip into your dish of batter, and
> then it cooks a very nice, very thin crepe, which doesn't need to be
> cooked on the other side.

I usually use three at a time. Otherwise I will standing at the stove for
about half an hour just waiting for the crepes to cook. I set up a little
assembly line and get it over with. Three at a time is as much as I can
handle. I use a small cast iron pan, a steel crepe pan and a T Fel. I
don't bother to use my electric crepe maker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 May 2006 11:27:44 -0400, FERRANTE wrote:

> I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make them.
> Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the batter, take out
> and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems simple, but is it?

Stop right there, relive the '70s in your mind, but don't spend any
money on something that you don't need.

> Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well

I have a "vintage" Oster sitting on a top shelf. Wanna buy it? I
won't charge more that $100 tops.

> and also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that is
> very good?

Good recipes are a dime a dozen on the net. If you can dig up Julia
Child's recipe, use that one. The real trick is to let the batter
rest a while... anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour depending on which
recipe you use.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 May 2006 21:19:12 GMT, rox formerly rmg wrote:

> I don't see how a machine would save any work at all when making crepes,
> unless the batter is a mix - in which case your mileage may vary. Crepes
> have to be watched to be cooked properly, not like throwing something in a
> crock pot.

nope, "it's all in the wrist"

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make them.
> Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the batter, take out
> and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems simple, but is it?
>
> Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well and
> also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that is
> very good?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
> 'Quod scripsi scripsi' - 'What I have written I have Written.'-- Pontius

Pilate

What exactly does this machine do if you make the batter? How many crepes
do you need at a time? How long does the machine take to make them? How
long does it take to clean the machine?

I am just trying to get a grip on this concept as I have never seen or
thought of such a machine.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Hare-Scott wrote:

> "FERRANTE" > wrote in message
>
>>I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make them.
>>Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the batter, take out
>>and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems simple, but is it?
>>
>>Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well and
>>also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that is
>>very good?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Mark
>>'Quod scripsi scripsi' - 'What I have written I have Written.'-- Pontius

> Pilate
>

> What exactly does this machine do if you make the batter? How many crepes
> do you need at a time? How long does the machine take to make them? How
> long does it take to clean the machine?
>
> I am just trying to get a grip on this concept as I have never seen or
> thought of such a machine.
>
> David

I have seen holders for the batter that when a lever is depressed a pre
measured amount of batter comes out into the hot pan. But those were
for making large amounts of crepes or pancakes quickly.

I also saw Julia Child once make crepes by heating an appropriately
sized and shaped pan till it was very hot applying a bit of oil then
dipping the bottom of the pan in the batter and turning it over quickly,
the residual heat cooks the crepe and it is easily peeled off.
---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make them.
> Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the batter, take out
> and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems simple, but is it?

Last year about this time I went thru the search for crepe pans and
recipes -

search this ng for "crepes" - april-may of last year. Blow by blow was fed
back to the ng, , if memory serves me

a lot of it is technique, little of it is equipment.

Ended up using a frying pan and a simple recipe (from this ng ) and a couple
tricks

> Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well and
> also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that is
> very good?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
> 'Quod scripsi scripsi' - 'What I have written I have Written.'-- Pontius

Pilate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE wrote:
> I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make them.
> Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the batter, take out
> and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems simple, but is it?
>
> Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well and
> also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that is
> very good?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
> 'Quod scripsi scripsi' - 'What I have written I have Written.'-- Pontius Pilate

They are super-easy to make in a regular 6 to 8" non-stick omelet or
crepe pan - don't buy the automatic thing, it's a ripoff, and even if
you're a novice cook, you won't need it. Crepes are good no matter
what they look like, and after you make a batch, you'll be an expert.

Most recipes are pretty much the same - I mix mine in the blender - let
it chill/rest in the fridge for a couple hours - then cook. I separate
them with paper towel until I've finished making them. I usually have
two pans going at once - brush the bottom of each one with a brush
dipped in melted butter - pour in 2-3 T. of batter, and quickly swirl
around the pan to cover the whole bottom - let cook until there are
bubbles forming on the top (like you see on pancakes) and the top
doesn't look liquid any more. You can either flip them over and
lightly brown the other side, or if they are solidly cooked through,
just brown the one side - slide them onto paper towels, reheat the pan
briefly and do it again. My electric stove burner is set somewhere
between medium and medium high - it takes a little adjusting to get it
just right. Good luck!

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> FERRANTE wrote:
>> I like crepes and was thinking about getting a machine to make them.
>> Looks simple, make batter, place the machine atop the batter, take
>> out
>> and wait about a minute and it is done. It seems simple, but is it?
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a inexpensive unit that does the job well and
>> also, anyone have a recipe for the batter or is there a brand that is
>> very good?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>> 'Quod scripsi scripsi' - 'What I have written I have Written.'--
>> Pontius Pilate

> They are super-easy to make in a regular 6 to 8" non-stick omelet or
> crepe pan - don't buy the automatic thing, it's a ripoff, and even if
> you're a novice cook, you won't need it. Crepes are good no matter
> what they look like, and after you make a batch, you'll be an expert.
>
> Most recipes are pretty much the same - I mix mine in the blender -
> let
> it chill/rest in the fridge for a couple hours - then cook. I
> separate
> them with paper towel until I've finished making them.

I use waxed paper to separate the crepes.

I usually have
> two pans going at once - brush the bottom of each one with a brush
> dipped in melted butter - pour in 2-3 T. of batter, and quickly swirl
> around the pan to cover the whole bottom - let cook until there are
> bubbles forming on the top (like you see on pancakes) and the top
> doesn't look liquid any more. You can either flip them over and
> lightly brown the other side, or if they are solidly cooked through,
> just brown the one side
>
> N.

I don't flip crepes when I make them. I don't make a sweet crepe (dessert
crepe) batter because I usually fill them with something savoury along the
lines of chopped cooked chicken with sauteed mushrooms in a white wine/cream
sauce (no specific recipe, sorry).

Also, a la The Frugal Gourmet, they can be used to make ricotta & spinach
manicotti by simply filling and rolling them, rather than trying to stuff
boiled manicotti shells (which always fell apart for me). Then simply cover
them with a red sauce and cheese and pop them in the oven for a few minutes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I use waxed paper to separate the crepes.

I usually lay them on a clean dish cloth to cool off and then on sheets of wax
paper/

> I don't flip crepes when I make them. I don't make a sweet crepe (dessert
> crepe) batter because I usually fill them with something savoury along the
> lines of chopped cooked chicken with sauteed mushrooms in a white wine/cream
> sauce (no specific recipe, sorry).

I flip them for a few seconds. I never add sugar either because the only sweet
things I usually make with them are crepes Suzette or something similar with
sugar and butter in the sauce. they don't need any sugar.

Once in a while I make up a fruit salad with just enough juice to meld the
flavours a bit. Put some plain yoghurt on a crepe, add some fruit salad, roll it
up and drizzle honey over the top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Good recipes are a dime a dozen on the net. If you can dig up Julia
>Child's recipe, use that one.

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=141525

Thanks.
'Quod scripsi scripsi' - 'What I have written I have Written.'-- Pontius Pilate