Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default bread machine recipes?

I literally blew the dust off of my bread machine the other day, after
it had been sitting in my basement for a few years, to make doughnut
dough for Hanukkah. Now that it's all clean and still in my kitchen,
I'm wondering if anyone has any tried and true great bread machine
recipes. I looked online and there are so many out there - so I'm
asking here if any of you have particular favorites? Btw - the
doughnuts came out great!

TIA,
Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sharon V" wrote

>I literally blew the dust off of my bread machine the other day, after it
>had been sitting in my basement for a few years, to make doughnut dough for
>Hanukkah. Now that it's all clean and still in my kitchen, I'm wondering
>if anyone has any tried and true great bread machine

Hi Sharon, enjoy!

Here's 3 I think well of. Simple to slightly complex ;-)

If you don't keep dried milk, you can omit it in the recipe that uses it but
it won't be quite as good. I get the sanlac canister
and keep it for bread making and the few times when I need milk for cooking
something else but am out.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Xxcarol's Breadmachine dinner rolls
Categories: Xxcarol, Abm, Bread
Yield: 10 Servings

1/2 c Water
1 tb Softened butter
1 ea Egg
2 1/4 c White flour-bread maker type
2 tb Sugar
1/2 ts Salt
1 1/2 ts Yeast (1 pk)

Place all in the pan in the order listed and select sweet dough cycle.
Grease a cookie sheet. Once the dough cycle is done (about 1 hour 20
mins) divide the dough into 10 pieces and roll into balls. I used
waxed paper on a table with a little flour to make this easier. Put
them on the greased cookie sheet and cover with a towel. Let them
rise 30-40 mins until double.

Pre-heat oven to 375 and bake for 12-15 mins. May brush with butter
before baking if desired.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol From: Carol Shenkenberger Date: 06-22-99
Cooking

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: French Bread, xxcarol's favorite
Categories: Breadmaker, Cheap, Xxcarol
Yield: 1 Servings

1 1/4 c Water
1 1/2 tb Butter
3 1/2 c White flour
1 tb Dry milk
2 tb Sugar
1 1/2 ts Salt
2 ts Yeast

Set the breadmaker to French.

Origin unknown but xxcarol's addition is to add herbs or minced
garlic.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Xxcarol's Cheddar Onion Pepper Bread
Categories: Xxcarol, Breadmaker
Yield: 8 Servings

1 1/4 c Milk
1 tb Butter
1 tb Sugar
1 ts Salt
1/8 ts Shichimi (can use paprika)
1/8 ts Dry mustard powder
3 1/2 c Flour, white breadmakers
3/4 c Grated cheddar cheese
1/4 c Grated red onion
2 ts Yeast
1 ts Black pepper

SkyHigh bread! Add the ingredients listed and set to 'french' if you
have that setting. Otherwise, 'normal' will do.

Shichimi is a very common Japanese spice mix of hot chile powders.
You can use a powdered paprika or a hotter powdered chile for nearly
the same effect.

This one was made to go with a pot of potato soup, of a german base
where the potato melts away into the soup and there are minimal bits
of carrot and cabbage about.

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol, 26DEC2003

MMMMM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for the recipes! Doesn't look like I'll be retiring the bread
machine back to the basement for a while yet!

Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sharon V wrote:
> Thanks for the recipes! Doesn't look like I'll be retiring the bread
> machine back to the basement for a while yet!
>
> Sharon

Not so fast!

Just recalling...the original "Breadmachine woman"....admits she blew it
(in her first book). The recipes didn't work with all brands of
machines. They have to be custom tailored for your specific make of
machine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:20:13 -0500, Jon v Leipzig >
wrote:

>Sharon V wrote:
>> Thanks for the recipes! Doesn't look like I'll be retiring the bread
>> machine back to the basement for a while yet!
>>
>> Sharon

>Not so fast!
>
>Just recalling...the original "Breadmachine woman"....admits she blew it
>(in her first book). The recipes didn't work with all brands of
>machines. They have to be custom tailored for your specific make of
>machine.

I have been using the Lois Conway and Linda Rehberg books for years
and they have always worked. I now make them in my food processor.
BTW, I do not think that Lois and Linda are the original "Breadmaching
women." Their book of "Breadmaking Secrets" is also very helpful.

The buttermilk bread recipe is great, as is the potato bread. I think
I will make a couple of loaves of bread, now that I am thinking about
it. Oatmeal bread would be good. I also seem to remember a banana
bread with oatmeal. Got to go look.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in
. net:

> On 14-Dec-2007, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>
>> recipes in the book point out when a specific machine requires a
>> different amount of an ingredient - for example, Welbilt/Dak almost
>> always requires less water than the other machines.

> oops; that came out backwards. Welbilt/Dak almost always requires
> MORE water ...

I have a Regal and have to add extra water too. I also add a TBS of
gluton per cup to regular off-the-grocery-store-shelf flour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sharon V" wrote

> Thanks for the recipes! Doesn't look like I'll be retiring the bread
> machine back to the basement for a while yet!

Welcome! Oh I forgot to mention if using a schimi (chile blend) check the
label to make sure it has no salt added. Breadmaker machines are pretty
specific on the amounts in balance of sugar to salt to yeast to liquid.

Also, for best effect you need a higher gluten flour such as 'better for
bread'. You can also get extra gluten in a box and add about 1 TS per cup
flour (2 TS per cup if doing 100% whole wheat).

Since I've been doing the breadmaker thing for over 10 years now, I have
lots of recipies if you have anything specific in mind? Dessert style breads
are a little harder to make but with practice and patience, they come out
well. One of the easiest there is bannana bread. you want banannas that
have turned all brown an yucky <g>. Fresh do not work as well.

I store extra bannana bits in ziplock baggies in the freezer then when I
have enough, thaw and mush in the baggie then make bread.

Since I mentioned that, it's polite to post a few.

Here's 2 and the next 3 posts will have more with comments:

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: PEANUT BUTTER & BANANA BREAD
Categories: Breadmaker
Yield: 15 Servings

-BARB DAY GWHP32A
1 3/4 pk Yeast
4 1/2 c Better for Bread flour
7/8 c Wheat flour
5 1/3 tb Gluten
3 2/3 tb Brown sugar; packed
1 3/4 ts Salt
1 3/4 Banana;6 oz.peeled
-sliced directly into
-the inner pan
1 1/3 c Peanut butter, creamy or chu
1 3/4 Egg
1 3/4 c Very warm water

Add all ingredients into the pan in the order listed. Select white
bread anpush "Start." Childhood's favorite sandwich auto-baked into a
funtastic bread - for a special treat, spread toasted slices with a
mixture of 1 part chocolate sauce to 2 parts peanut butter. Shared by
Barb Day

MMMMM

Notice with this one above you need a large breadmaker. If you dont have a
loaf size of 2lbs on your machine, this one is too big.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: CURRIED PUMPKIN & BANANA BREAD ABM
Categories: Breads, Breadmaker
Yield: 1 Small loaf

1 1/2 ts Active dry yeast
1 c Bread flour, PLUS 2 ts
1 c Whole wheat flour
2 tb Cracked wheat
1 ts Curry powder
1/2 ts Minced garlic
1 tb Sesame seeds
2 tb Sugar
1/2 c Mashed ripe banana
1/2 c Canned pumpkin
1 tb Vegetable oil
1/4 c Water

Add all ingredients in the order suggested by your abm manual and
process on the basic bread cycle according to the manufacturer's
directions. Let the loaf cool before slicing.

Source: The Best Bread Machine Cookbook Ever, Madge Rosenberg.

U/L: Michelle Howe July 30,1995

MMMMM

This one is for the smaller machines or the 1lb loaf setting. The cracked
wheat is a nice touch but if you dont have any, it's ok to leave it out.
You can also substitute some crushed all bran cereal for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sharon V" wrote

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: DAK'S BANANA-NUT WHEAT BREAD (BREAD MACHINE)
Categories: Breadmaker, Breads
Yield: 12 Servings

1 pk Yeast
3 c Whole wheat flour
1 ts Salt
3 tb Maple syrup
1 ts Maple extract (optional)
1/2 c Pecans
1 md Ripe banana, sliced
(about 1 1/2 cups)
1 c Warm water

Put all the ingredients into pan in the order listed, select "whole
wheat" and push "start."

MMMMM

Oops, well it's still 4 posts worth, just some are singlits ;-)

This is a good all around one. If using jarred rapid rise yeast, 2 TS is
'one pack'. Keep the jar in the fridge after opening and it will stay good
for 6 months or more. Yu may want to add 6 TS gluten to this one for a
better rise but without it, it's a lovely dense loaf.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sharon V" wrote

These 2 are unique in that they are some of the few that use baking soda and
baking powder in place of yeast. Salt and sugar adjusted too for that.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: BANANA PECAN BREAD
Categories: Breadmaker, Posted-mm
Yield: 10 Servings

1 1/2 c All-purpose flour
2/3 c Sugar
1 ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Baking soda
1/2 ts Salt
1/3 c Vegetable oil
2 Extra large eggs -- lightly
Beaten
1/4 c Dairy sour cream
1 ts Vanilla
When beep sounds -- add:
2/3 c Banana -- mashed
1/3 c Pecans or walnuts -- finely
Chopped

Into baking pan measure flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt.
Add oil, eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Insert pan securely into unit;
close lid. Select "Cake" setting; press "Start." When beep sounds
after about 5 minutes, add mashed bananas and nuts. Press "Start"
again. The "Complete" light will flash when cake is done.

Using hot pads, remove pan from unit; pull out kneading rod. Turn
bread out onto cooling rack. Cool; slice thinly to serve. Makes 1
5x4-inch loaf. BANANA-CHOCOLATE CHIP BREAD: Prepare bread as above
through "Cake" setting. When beep sounds, add mashed banana and 1/3
cup chopped chocolate chips. Omit nuts. Continue as directed.

From the recipe files of

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: BANANA TEA LOAF
Categories: Diabetic, Breadmaker
Yield: 18 Servings

2 Bananas; ripe, mashed
1/2 c Canola oil like Crisco;
2 lg Eggs;
2 tb Frozen orange/pineapp. conc.
1 3/4 c Flour;
2 ts Baking powder;
1/4 ts Baking soda;
1/2 ts Orange peel;
Cooking spray;

Adapted from The Joslin Diabetes Gourmet Cookbook, 1993 which used 1
large egg white plus 6 tbsp. egg substitute, 1/8 tsp almond extract,
orange juice concentrate, 2 cups unbleached flour and no orange peel.

Original nutritional info. 1/18 recipe = 1 bread, 1 fat Joslin
Exchanges 122 calories, 2 grams protein, 14 grams carbohydrate, 6
grams fat (44% of calories), trace cholesterol, 61 mg sodium, 105 mg
potassium.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with waxed paper
and spray with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine bananas, oil, beaten egg, juice concentrate
and orange peel. Stir dry ingredients together and then stir them
into banana mixture until just blended.

Spread the batter in the pan and bake for 45 minutes or until the top
is lightly browned. Cool in a pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a
wire rack. Slice the first sample while the loaf is still warm.
Comment in the original recipe states that the well-wrapped loaf
keeps in the refrigerator and freezes well. Slice is smaller than a
slice of regular bread (about half size).

Tested with changes noted by Elizabeth Rodier, Jan 1994. To cut down
on cholesterol use 1 whole egg and 2 whites, or home made egg
substitute.

When comparing bread recipes, consider serving size as well as
calories. Does the serving taste good alone or would I add 1 tsp
margarine (1 fat)?

1 tb peanut butter would add 1 fat exchange + 1 meat or 95 calories, 3
grams carb. 4 grams protein, 8.2 grams fat, 98 mg sodium

1 tb regular strawberry jam made of equal parts fruit and sugar would
add 54 calories, 14 grams carbohydrate or 1 fruit exchange

MMMMM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sharon V" wrote

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Banana Raisin Nut Bread
Categories: Breadmaker, Breads
Yield: 1 Loaf

2/3 c Water
1 Egg
2 tb Vegetable oil
1/4 c Honey
1 1/2 Banana
1 ts Salt
1 ts Cinnamon
3 1/2 c Bread flour
2 ts Yeast
1 c Raisins
1/2 c Broken walnuts

Add raisins and nuts at the beep. NOTE: I coated the raisins with
some of the flour and added them at the beginning and omitted the
nuts completely . This loaf rose to the full height of the bread pan
and was a nice slicer. Source: Donna German Bread Machine Cookbook V.
Gaye Levy

Posted by Gaye Levy to the Fidonet COOKING echo with the following
comment:

This is the first recipe I have tried in the Donna German Bread
Machine Cookbook V. I hope they are all this good!

MMMMM