Old 28-09-2003, 11:48 PM
Rich N

Default Velveeta substitute for Rotel cheese dip

Frogleg wrote in message . ..
On 20 Sep 2003 15:31:08 -0700, (Rich N) wrote:

When I lived in Texas, a popular dip for chips was called Rotel cheese
dip. Melt a brick of Velveeta and pour in a can of Rotel tomatoes and
chiles. Now that I no longer want to eat Velveeta (too many
additives), would anyone suggest a substitute? Could I just melt some
cheddar cheese, or would I need something else to keep the cheese from
separating?

"Processed" cheese (Velveeta, American whatever, Laughing Cow) is a
sure-fire smooth melter. Things involving Real Cheese, like fondue,
require the addition of starch, liquid, and very careful application
of heat to result in a smooth and creamy sauce. They also tend to turn
to globs surrounded by fat when cooled. You might try making a white
sauce (flour, butter, milk) and adding grated cheese and Rotel or
Rotel-equivalent and keeping it in a warmed dish or pot of some sort.

Thank you, Frogleg, you are quite right. That's what I'm going to
try, after making the version with American cheese slices yesterday.
No judgment on anyone who likes them, but they made me sick. I was
surprised to discover that the Kraft brand was good ole pastuerized
process cheese food. I may try getting some American cheese from the
deli also. The dip tasted good but I had a sort of hangover
afterwards, I'm not used to eating food with that many additives.

Old 29-09-2003, 01:32 AM
zxcvbob

Rich N wrote:
Frogleg wrote in message . ..

[...]

Here's the classic recipe for fondue:

1 garlic clove, halved
1-1/2 c. dry white wine
1 Tbs. brandy or lemon juice
1 lb. (4 c.) shredded Swiss cheese
3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
dash pepper
dash ground nutmeg
chunks of crusty French bread

Rub garlic inside fondue pot or saucepan; discard garlic. Pour wine into
pot and heat on low but do not boil. Stir in brandy or lemon juice.
In a medium mixing bowl, toss cheese with flour until blended. Add cheese
to hot wine mixture by handfuls, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon
until cheese is melted. Stir in pepper and nutmeg to taste. Spear chunks of
bread on long-handled fondue forks or long bamboo skewers and dip in the
sauce.

Suppose you used this technique; start with the Rotel tomatoes, and add
shredded monterrey jack and colby cheese dredged in flour? You might have
to thin it with a little cream or cottage cheese. I think it might work.

Best regards,
Bob