Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lunch... OMG

> Michael <- non drinker but still a party animal
>
> --

By my calculations, one drink taken anytime before 4pm is 1 1/2 to 2 times
more potent than those consumed after 4pm.

Anecdotal.... maybe, but I see this a lot. (self included)

Larry T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LT" > wrote in
nk.net:

>> Michael <- non drinker but still a party animal
>>
>> --

> By my calculations, one drink taken anytime before 4pm is 1 1/2 to 2
> times more potent than those consumed after 4pm.

LOL!!!

Favourite Aussie saying.........

"Hey!! It's 10am *somewhere* in the world!!"

(10am is the pubs opening time here)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LT" > wrote in message
nk.net...

>> Michael <- non drinker but still a party animal
>>
>> --

> By my calculations, one drink taken anytime before 4pm is 1 1/2 to 2 times
> more potent than those consumed after 4pm.
>
> Anecdotal.... maybe, but I see this a lot. (self included)
>
> Larry T

but -- but -- it's always five o'clock somewhere!

Personally, I don't like drinking in the afternoons. With or after dinner is
fine, but drinks and lunch just make me groggy.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> "LT" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>>
>>> Michael <- non drinker but still a party animal
>>>
>>> --

>> By my calculations, one drink taken anytime before 4pm is 1 1/2 to 2
>> times more potent than those consumed after 4pm.
>>
>> Anecdotal.... maybe, but I see this a lot. (self included)
>>
>> Larry T
>>

> but -- but -- it's always five o'clock somewhere!
>
> Personally, I don't like drinking in the afternoons. With or after
> dinner is fine, but drinks and lunch just make me groggy.
>
> Donna

Michael and Steven weren't working today, a rare thing for both of them at
the same time, IIRC I've never understood how people (usually executive
types) could go to lunch and down a few martinis while talking "business"
and still manage to be talking, let alone about business, by the time lunch
was over. LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in
:

> I used to have a sales job, and my boss was a two-drink-with-lunch
> kind of guy. I hated when he decided to come with me to take customers
> for lunch. He'd insist that I had a drink, and I'd tell him that if he
> insisted, I was going to go home after the lunch because he didn't
> want me seeing other customers while I was giddy or groggy.

Dancing on the table tops never got you extra sales, hey? ;-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LucasP" > wrote in message
> "D.Currie" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I used to have a sales job, and my boss was a two-drink-with-lunch
>> kind of guy. I hated when he decided to come with me to take customers
>> for lunch. He'd insist that I had a drink, and I'd tell him that if he
>> insisted, I was going to go home after the lunch because he didn't
>> want me seeing other customers while I was giddy or groggy.
>>

> Dancing on the table tops never got you extra sales, hey? ;-)

Heh. Drinking at lunch made me stupid, but not that stupid. :-)

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> "LucasP" > wrote in message
>> "D.Currie" > wrote in
>> :

>> Dancing on the table tops never got you extra sales, hey? ;-)

> Heh. Drinking at lunch made me stupid, but not that stupid. :-)

Well, one of our Directors was not so clever. Years ago I worked for an
engineering company and the "sales managers" and a few of the
"directors" always went to the (same) pub every lunch time. One time Mr
F___ had one too many, got up on the table to dance and had his forehead
sliced open by the overhead fan. (He was well over 6 feet tall). Can't
remember how many stitches he had. Took him months to live it down.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:

> Personally, I don't like drinking in the afternoons. With or after
> dinner is fine, but drinks and lunch just make me groggy.

Try red wine
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Vilco" > wrote:

> D.Currie wrote:
>
> > Personally, I don't like drinking in the afternoons. With or after
> > dinner is fine, but drinks and lunch just make me groggy.

> Try red wine

Oddly enough, wine hits me harder and faster than the hard stuff.
Not sure why.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "D.Currie" >
> :
>
>> Heh. Drinking at lunch made me stupid, but not that stupid. :-)
>>
>> Donna

> ROFL... This was hilarious and sig material. May I use it?

It's all yours. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Vilco" > wrote:
>
>> D.Currie wrote:
>>
>> > Personally, I don't like drinking in the afternoons. With or after
>> > dinner is fine, but drinks and lunch just make me groggy.

>> Try red wine

> Oddly enough, wine hits me harder and faster than the hard stuff.
> Not sure why.

Red wine has a good chance of giving me a headache, almost immediately.
White isn't as bad, but I still have to watch what it is. My own bottles, I
know what I'm getting into. If I'm not familiar with the brands at a
restaurant, I have to be careful. If the only choice is "house wine" I go
for beer or mixed drinks instead.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" > wrote in news:OlDag.1138$cX1.11784
@twister2.libero.it:

> D.Currie wrote:
>
>> Personally, I don't like drinking in the afternoons. With or after
>> dinner is fine, but drinks and lunch just make me groggy.

> Try red wine

Lunch would have to white wine time :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"D.Currie" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> Try red wine

> > Oddly enough, wine hits me harder and faster than the hard stuff.
> > Not sure why.

> Red wine has a good chance of giving me a headache, almost immediately.
> White isn't as bad, but I still have to watch what it is. My own bottles, I
> know what I'm getting into. If I'm not familiar with the brands at a
> restaurant, I have to be careful. If the only choice is "house wine" I go
> for beer or mixed drinks instead.
>
> Donna

Champagne always gives me a headache.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
LucasP > wrote:

> "Vilco" > wrote in news:OlDag.1138$cX1.11784
> @twister2.libero.it:
>
> > D.Currie wrote:
> >
> >> Personally, I don't like drinking in the afternoons. With or after
> >> dinner is fine, but drinks and lunch just make me groggy.

> > Try red wine

> Lunch would have to white wine time :-)
>

> --
> Peter Lucas

Margarita. <G>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 May 2006 18:30:28 -0500, "jmcquown"
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Michael and Steven weren't working today, a rare thing for both of them at
>the same time, IIRC I've never understood how people (usually executive
>types) could go to lunch and down a few martinis while talking "business"
>and still manage to be talking, let alone about business, by the time lunch
>was over. LOL

My boss and I occasionally go out to lunch and snag either Stoli
martinis or mai tais, depending on the work in progress. He's a
litigation lawyer and I'm his paralegal and sometimes our best ideas
come out of alcohol-induced brainstorms. We had one just today over
sushi and unfiltered sake. Came up with an outside-the-box defense
that even seven hours later looks brilliant. God, I love making the LA
city attorneys look like idiots.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 May 2006 15:03:47 -0600, "D.Currie"
> rummaged among random neurons and
opined:

>Red wine has a good chance of giving me a headache, almost immediately.
>White isn't as bad, but I still have to watch what it is. My own bottles, I
>know what I'm getting into. If I'm not familiar with the brands at a
>restaurant, I have to be careful. If the only choice is "house wine" I go
>for beer or mixed drinks instead.

I was told a while ago that the reason you get headaches from red wine
and not white is that red wine has histamines. <shrug> Dunno if it's
true or not, but I certainly have heard people say that they don't get
headaches from the whites.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bring on the red wine!!!! Lunch... OMG

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 17 May 2006 15:03:47 -0600, "D.Currie"
> > rummaged among random neurons and
> opined:
>
>>Red wine has a good chance of giving me a headache, almost
>>immediately. White isn't as bad, but I still have to watch what it is.
>>My own bottles, I know what I'm getting into. If I'm not familiar with
>>the brands at a restaurant, I have to be careful. If the only choice
>>is "house wine" I go for beer or mixed drinks instead.

> I was told a while ago that the reason you get headaches from red wine
> and not white is that red wine has histamines. <shrug> Dunno if it's
> true or not, but I certainly have heard people say that they don't get
> headaches from the whites.

There's hope for you RWH sufferers yet :-)

http://www.beekmanwine.com/prevtopbd.htm

In a new controlled study, Kaufman and Dwight Starr, M.D., Mt. Zion
Hospital and Medical Center, examined, through blind evaluation, various
inhibitors of prostaglandin synthetase (IPS) drugs, aspirin,
Acetaminophen, and Ibuprophen, to test if the RWH could be prevented by
the prophylactic use of these specific medications.

During the first stage, twelve subjects (nine females and three males)
with a history of RWH were challenged with red wine, and all experienced
RWH. The subjects returned one week later, stage two, and were given
inhibitors of prostaglandin synthetase or placebo one hour prior to wine
ingestion. The two who received the placebo were not protected. Kaufman
and Starr reported that ten of the subjects who were premedicated failed
to develop the RWH; two given Acetaminophen developed a "second phase''
RWH 6-10 hours after wine ingestion.

Kaufman and Starr conclude that RWH may be due to a metabolic defect and
corrected by prostaglandin synthetase inhibitors. Mechanisms of
correction remain unclear. Source: H. Kaufman and D. Starr, Prevention
of the Red Wine Headache (RWH); A Blind Controlled Study. In New
Advances in Headache Research, 2nd edition, ed. F. Clifford Rose. Smith-
Gordon, 1991.

New Information on Headaches, Flushing, and Bloating

If you suffer from headaches and/or flushed skin when drinking wine, try
drinking a cup of black tea before you drink the wine. If you will be
drinking over the course of an evening, have another cup or two of black
tea during the evening. Quercetin, a bioflavonoid found in black tea,
significantly inhibits the headache/flush response (which is an
inflammatory effect from histamines), according to Tareq Khan, M.D., a
pain expert with St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital in Houston, Texas.
If the problem you suffer from is bloating dye to alcohol's
dehydrating and water retention effects, try munching on magnesium-rich
snacks like dark chocolate and unsalted nuts, according to Carolyn Dean,
M.D., N.D.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Wed, 17 May 2006 15:03:47 -0600, "D.Currie"
>> > rummaged among random neurons and
>> opined:
>>
>>>Red wine has a good chance of giving me a headache, almost
>>>immediately. White isn't as bad, but I still have to watch what it is.
>>>My own bottles, I know what I'm getting into. If I'm not familiar with
>>>the brands at a restaurant, I have to be careful. If the only choice
>>>is "house wine" I go for beer or mixed drinks instead.

>> I was told a while ago that the reason you get headaches from red wine
>> and not white is that red wine has histamines. <shrug> Dunno if it's
>> true or not, but I certainly have heard people say that they don't get
>> headaches from the whites.

I think I sense one of those amazing cultural differences he In
Switzerland and France, I *never* heard anyone complaining red wine
have him/her a headache, but one does hear that complain a lot about
white wines. It's so funny the way even health stuff is cultural (for
instance, the French used to complain a lot about fatty food and
chocolate giving them a "crise de foie" - literally, a "liver attack"
- which concept was never heard of in any other country).

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 May 2006 15:03:47 -0600, "D.Currie"
> > rummaged among random neurons and
> opined:
>
>>Red wine has a good chance of giving me a headache, almost immediately.
>>White isn't as bad, but I still have to watch what it is. My own bottles,
>>know what I'm getting into. If I'm not familiar with the brands at a
>>restaurant, I have to be careful. If the only choice is "house wine" I go
>>for beer or mixed drinks instead.

> I was told a while ago that the reason you get headaches from red wine
> and not white is that red wine has histamines. <shrug> Dunno if it's
> true or not, but I certainly have heard people say that they don't get
> headaches from the whites.

I'd heard that it had to do with sulfites. Whatever. There are some reds
that I'm okay with, but if it's a dinner out, I'm just better off ordering a
white wine to be safe. Not a big issue for me, really, since I'm just as
likely to go with a mixed drink or beer, depending on the cuisine and place.
And I usually only have one drink, two at the most. I just don't like the
hazy feeling I get from drinking.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 May 2006 08:01:28 +0200, Nathalie Chiva
> wrote:

>On 18 May 2006 04:07:15 GMT, LucasP > wrote:
>
>>Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
m:

>>> On Wed, 17 May 2006 15:03:47 -0600, "D.Currie"
>>> opined:

>>> I was told a while ago that the reason you get headaches from red wine
>>> and not white is that red wine has histamines. <shrug> Dunno if it's
>>> true or not, but I certainly have heard people say that they don't get
>>> headaches from the whites.

>I think I sense one of those amazing cultural differences he In
>Switzerland and France, I *never* heard anyone complaining red wine
>have him/her a headache, but one does hear that complain a lot about
>white wines. It's so funny the way even health stuff is cultural (for
>instance, the French used to complain a lot about fatty food and
>chocolate giving them a "crise de foie" - literally, a "liver attack"
>- which concept was never heard of in any other country).
>
>Nathalie in Switzerland

'tis white wine that gives me a headache, more than one glass anyway.
Red wine does not bother me (unless I drink a whole bottle!)

Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nathalie Chiva wrote:

> I think I sense one of those amazing cultural differences he In
> Switzerland and France, I *never* heard anyone complaining red wine
> have him/her a headache, but one does hear that complain a lot about
> white wines. It's so funny the way even health stuff is cultural (for
> instance, the French used to complain a lot about fatty food and
> chocolate giving them a "crise de foie" - literally, a "liver attack"
> - which concept was never heard of in any other country).

Perhaps it is the culture of overindulgence? I used to find that if I drank a
lot of red wine I got headaches and/or stomach cramps, but not problem if I
had it with food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 May 2006 04:07:15 GMT, LucasP wrote:

> unsalted nuts

Unsalted nuts? Oh, boy, that sure takes the fun out of eating them.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On 18 May 2006 04:07:15 GMT, LucasP wrote:
>
> > unsalted nuts

> Unsalted nuts? Oh, boy, that sure takes the fun out of eating them.
> --

Cashews are not too bad unsalted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> > Unsalted nuts? Oh, boy, that sure takes the fun out of eating them.
> > --
> >

> Cashews are not too bad unsalted.

I watched a show on cashew preparation. Holy Cow those things are fried a long time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Cashews are not too bad unsalted.
>>

> I watched a show on cashew preparation. Holy Cow those things are fried a
> long time.

Our son's wife is Brazilian, and every Christmas her parents come for a
month-long visit. They always bring a couple of huge bags of fresh roasted
cashews. They tell me they grow everywhere and street merchants gather them,
roast and sell from their carts. Quite a different taste, and hard to eat
just a few. And of course they are quite inexpensive there.

Larry T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LT wrote:

> > > Cashews are not too bad unsalted.
> > >

> > I watched a show on cashew preparation. Holy Cow those things are
> > fried a long time.
> >

> Our son's wife is Brazilian, and every Christmas her parents come for
> a month-long visit. They always bring a couple of huge bags of fresh
> roasted cashews. They tell me they grow everywhere and street
> merchants gather them, roast and sell from their carts. Quite a
> different taste, and hard to eat just a few. And of course they are
> quite inexpensive there.

Oh man, do I love cashews. I like some salt on mine though, the
"lightly salted" ones seem to work best for me.

Brian
won't shut up.

Louis' Lunch (and Louie's Lunch) Julian Vrieslander[_3_] General Cooking 0 06-03-2013 12:56 AM
lunch Ingebird Diabetic 23 28-07-2011 06:27 PM
FREE Invasion Day lunch LOL! (Lunch, Tues 26rd Jan) Peter Lucas[_13_] General Cooking 11 29-01-2010 09:17 AM
FREE Invasion Day lunch LOL! (Lunch, Tues 26rd Jan) Peter Lucas[_13_] General Cooking 1 27-01-2010 02:25 PM