Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PING: Rusty

I know there was some controversy over your BBQ sauce recipe
(margarine?!?! ketchup?!?!? etc). I made it this weekend for my Easter
cookout and used it on both chicken and mahi filets. It was excellent!
I varied it slightly - used chili sauce instead of ketchup, and subbed
molasses for half the brown sugar. Also incresed to hot pepper sauce.
But basically stuck to the recipe and proportions. This is now MY BBQ
sauce recipe too! Delicious! (And I don't give a fig whether people
think it's okay or not, based on ingredients. They should taste it!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 16 Apr 2006 06:04:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jude?

> I know there was some controversy over your BBQ sauce recipe
> (margarine?!?! ketchup?!?!? etc). I made it this weekend for my Easter
> cookout and used it on both chicken and mahi filets. It was excellent!
> I varied it slightly - used chili sauce instead of ketchup, and subbed
> molasses for half the brown sugar. Also incresed to hot pepper sauce.
> But basically stuck to the recipe and proportions. This is now MY BBQ
> sauce recipe too! Delicious! (And I don't give a fig whether people
> think it's okay or not, based on ingredients. They should taste it!)

I'm confused as to which sauce it was that Rusty posted, but I like the
changes you mentioned. Could you post the complete recipe with your changes?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I'm confused as to which sauce it was that Rusty posted, but I like the
> changes you mentioned. Could you post the complete recipe with your changes?

Absolutely.

Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce (My variation in parenthesis)

* 1 cup ketchup (I used Heinz Chili Sauce)
* 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
* 4 tablespoons butter or margarine (I used real, salted butter)
* 3 tablespoons white vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
* 1 tablespoon plain prepared mustard (I used whole-grain dijon)
* 3 tablespoons minced yellow onion (Didn't measure, used up half
an onion from the fridge)
* 4 teaspoons bottled liquid smoke flavor (I used 1 T)
* 1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce (I used 1 t of Texas Pete's and 1
t of ChipotleTabasco)
* 1/2 cup brown sugar (I used half molasses, half brown sugar)
* 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (Skipped this)
* 1 teaspoon salt (Skipped this)

Makes 2 cups of sauce.

1. Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan.
2. Mix well.
3. Simmer over low heat for 20-minutes, stirring occasionally.
(Probably simmered more like 35-40 minutes, til it tasted like the
flavors had blended)

Flavors devloped nicely as it cooled. Color was beautiful. It was easy.
I'll do this again!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 16 Apr 2006 06:53:49p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jude?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I'm confused as to which sauce it was that Rusty posted, but I like the
>> changes you mentioned. Could you post the complete recipe with your
>> changes?
>>

> Absolutely.
>
> Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce (My variation in parenthesis)
>
> * 1 cup ketchup (I used Heinz Chili Sauce)
> * 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
> * 4 tablespoons butter or margarine (I used real, salted butter)
> * 3 tablespoons white vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
> * 1 tablespoon plain prepared mustard (I used whole-grain dijon)
> * 3 tablespoons minced yellow onion (Didn't measure, used up half
> an onion from the fridge)
> * 4 teaspoons bottled liquid smoke flavor (I used 1 T)
> * 1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce (I used 1 t of Texas Pete's and 1
> t of ChipotleTabasco)
> * 1/2 cup brown sugar (I used half molasses, half brown sugar)
> * 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (Skipped this)
> * 1 teaspoon salt (Skipped this)
>
> Makes 2 cups of sauce.
>
> 1. Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan.
> 2. Mix well.
> 3. Simmer over low heat for 20-minutes, stirring occasionally.
> (Probably simmered more like 35-40 minutes, til it tasted like the
> flavors had blended)
>
> Flavors devloped nicely as it cooled. Color was beautiful. It was easy.
> I'll do this again!

This sounds wonderful, and right up my alley! :-) Thanks so much for
posting it. And...thanks to Rusty for posting the original.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
> I know there was some controversy over your BBQ sauce recipe
> (margarine?!?! ketchup?!?!? etc). I made it this weekend for my Easter
> cookout and used it on both chicken and mahi filets. It was excellent!
> I varied it slightly - used chili sauce instead of ketchup, and subbed
> molasses for half the brown sugar. Also incresed to hot pepper sauce.
> But basically stuck to the recipe and proportions. This is now MY BBQ
> sauce recipe too! Delicious! (And I don't give a fig whether people
> think it's okay or not, based on ingredients. They should taste it!)

Jude, thanks for trying the recipe. I'm glad you were able to modify it
to your liking. It was originally my fathers recipe. He was no gourmet
cook. In World War 2, he was an Army cook during the Aleutian campaign
in Alaska. He was stationed on a U.S. Army tug boat out of Kodiak,
Alaska from 1942-46. That's probably why the recipe is made with some
fairly simple ingredients.

Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rusty" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jude wrote:
>> I know there was some controversy over your BBQ sauce recipe
>> (margarine?!?! ketchup?!?!? etc). I made it this weekend for my Easter
>> cookout and used it on both chicken and mahi filets. It was excellent!
>> I varied it slightly - used chili sauce instead of ketchup, and subbed
>> molasses for half the brown sugar. Also incresed to hot pepper sauce.
>> But basically stuck to the recipe and proportions. This is now MY BBQ
>> sauce recipe too! Delicious! (And I don't give a fig whether people
>> think it's okay or not, based on ingredients. They should taste it!)

> Jude, thanks for trying the recipe. I'm glad you were able to modify it
> to your liking. It was originally my fathers recipe. He was no gourmet
> cook. In World War 2, he was an Army cook during the Aleutian campaign
> in Alaska. He was stationed on a U.S. Army tug boat out of Kodiak,
> Alaska from 1942-46. That's probably why the recipe is made with some
> fairly simple ingredients.
>
> Rusty

Gee, wasn't Wayne's father stationed in Kodiak -- wouldn't that be a
coincidence if ---
My dad was on Attu.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 16 Apr 2006 08:00:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Rusty?

> Jude wrote:
>> I know there was some controversy over your BBQ sauce recipe
>> (margarine?!?! ketchup?!?!? etc). I made it this weekend for my Easter
>> cookout and used it on both chicken and mahi filets. It was excellent!
>> I varied it slightly - used chili sauce instead of ketchup, and subbed
>> molasses for half the brown sugar. Also incresed to hot pepper sauce.
>> But basically stuck to the recipe and proportions. This is now MY BBQ
>> sauce recipe too! Delicious! (And I don't give a fig whether people
>> think it's okay or not, based on ingredients. They should taste it!)

> Jude, thanks for trying the recipe. I'm glad you were able to modify it
> to your liking. It was originally my fathers recipe. He was no gourmet
> cook. In World War 2, he was an Army cook during the Aleutian campaign
> in Alaska. He was stationed on a U.S. Army tug boat out of Kodiak,
> Alaska from 1942-46. That's probably why the recipe is made with some
> fairly simple ingredients.

It's a small world, Rusty. My dad was also stationed in the Aleutians
during World War 2, as an Army Captain. He was in Kodiak, but I don't know
any further details. If he were living now, he'd be 97 y.o.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 16 Apr 2006 08:22:35p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Rusty" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Jude wrote:
>>> I know there was some controversy over your BBQ sauce recipe
>>> (margarine?!?! ketchup?!?!? etc). I made it this weekend for my Easter
>>> cookout and used it on both chicken and mahi filets. It was excellent!
>>> I varied it slightly - used chili sauce instead of ketchup, and subbed
>>> molasses for half the brown sugar. Also incresed to hot pepper sauce.
>>> But basically stuck to the recipe and proportions. This is now MY BBQ
>>> sauce recipe too! Delicious! (And I don't give a fig whether people
>>> think it's okay or not, based on ingredients. They should taste it!)

>> Jude, thanks for trying the recipe. I'm glad you were able to modify it
>> to your liking. It was originally my fathers recipe. He was no gourmet
>> cook. In World War 2, he was an Army cook during the Aleutian campaign
>> in Alaska. He was stationed on a U.S. Army tug boat out of Kodiak,
>> Alaska from 1942-46. That's probably why the recipe is made with some
>> fairly simple ingredients.
>>
>> Rusty

> Gee, wasn't Wayne's father stationed in Kodiak -- wouldn't that be a
> coincidence if ---
> My dad was on Attu.
> Dee Dee

I hadn't read your post when I replied to Rusty's. I don't know the exact
time period he was in Kodiak, but he was there when I was born in January,
1945. My, how you remember! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Sun 16 Apr 2006 08:22:35p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
> Randall?
>

>> "Rusty" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> Jude, thanks for trying the recipe. I'm glad you were able to modify it
>>> to your liking. It was originally my fathers recipe. He was no gourmet
>>> cook. In World War 2, he was an Army cook during the Aleutian campaign
>>> in Alaska. He was stationed on a U.S. Army tug boat out of Kodiak,
>>> Alaska from 1942-46. That's probably why the recipe is made with some
>>> fairly simple ingredients.
>>>
>>> Rusty

>> Gee, wasn't Wayne's father stationed in Kodiak -- wouldn't that be a
>> coincidence if ---
>> My dad was on Attu.
>> Dee Dee

> I hadn't read your post when I replied to Rusty's. I don't know the exact
> time period he was in Kodiak, but he was there when I was born in January,
> 1945. My, how you remember! :-)
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

No, my memory doesn't cover my dad's time on Attu. I don't know that I ever
knew. But he was there (or in the Navy) until August 1945. Times must've
been rough for getting men - because my dad was 27-28 years old with already
two children when he enlisted. I guess it must've been because he had no
left feet and didn't wear glasses.

On this subject: In World War I, a cousin was taken who didn't have a left
arm. I guess he was right-handed and useful!
Yes, I saw his draft record and it stated that. He was killed in France.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > Absolutely.
> >
> > Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce (My variation in parenthesis)
> >
> > * 1 cup ketchup (I used Heinz Chili Sauce)
> > * 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
> > * 4 tablespoons butter or margarine (I used real, salted butter)
> > * 3 tablespoons white vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
> > * 1 tablespoon plain prepared mustard (I used whole-grain dijon)
> > * 3 tablespoons minced yellow onion (Didn't measure, used up half
> > an onion from the fridge)
> > * 4 teaspoons bottled liquid smoke flavor (I used 1 T)
> > * 1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce (I used 1 t of Texas Pete's and 1
> > t of ChipotleTabasco)
> > * 1/2 cup brown sugar (I used half molasses, half brown sugar)
> > * 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (Skipped this)
> > * 1 teaspoon salt (Skipped this)
> >
> > Makes 2 cups of sauce.
> >
> > 1. Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan.
> > 2. Mix well.
> > 3. Simmer over low heat for 20-minutes, stirring occasionally.
> > (Probably simmered more like 35-40 minutes, til it tasted like the
> > flavors had blended)
> >
> > Flavors devloped nicely as it cooled. Color was beautiful. It was easy.
> > I'll do this again!

> This sounds wonderful, and right up my alley! :-) Thanks so much for
> posting it. And...thanks to Rusty for posting the original.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

I wonder if this would be ok to freeze since I don't use bbq sauce
all that often and have gotten to hate the bottled stuff??? Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 16 Apr 2006 08:00:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Rusty?
>

> > Jude wrote:
> >> I know there was some controversy over your BBQ sauce recipe
> >> (margarine?!?! ketchup?!?!? etc). I made it this weekend for my Easter
> >> cookout and used it on both chicken and mahi filets. It was excellent!
> >> I varied it slightly - used chili sauce instead of ketchup, and subbed
> >> molasses for half the brown sugar. Also incresed to hot pepper sauce.
> >> But basically stuck to the recipe and proportions. This is now MY BBQ
> >> sauce recipe too! Delicious! (And I don't give a fig whether people
> >> think it's okay or not, based on ingredients. They should taste it!)

> > Jude, thanks for trying the recipe. I'm glad you were able to modify it
> > to your liking. It was originally my fathers recipe. He was no gourmet
> > cook. In World War 2, he was an Army cook during the Aleutian campaign
> > in Alaska. He was stationed on a U.S. Army tug boat out of Kodiak,
> > Alaska from 1942-46. That's probably why the recipe is made with some
> > fairly simple ingredients.

> It's a small world, Rusty. My dad was also stationed in the Aleutians
> during World War 2, as an Army Captain. He was in Kodiak, but I don't know
> any further details. If he were living now, he'd be 97 y.o.

I was born after my father returned from WW2 (1952). He was born in
1915 and passed away in 1970. I have done a little research about where
he was stationed. The Army base in Kodiak, Alaska during WW2 was Ft.
Greely. It was next to the Kodiak Naval base. The Army was provided
with its own docking facilities at the Navy base, called the "Army
Dock". That's where my father's seagoing Army Tug was based. It seems
strange, but the Army did own and operate a variety of ships. He said
they sailed all up and down the Aleutians, towing cargo to the various
islands all the way out to Attu. He was stationed there from 1942 until
1946. He said the Army invoked some clause that kept him on duty for
1-year after the war ended (until Septemer 1946).

Here is a link I found that has WW2 era pictures of the Kodiak Army
Dock, and more info about Ft. Greely.

http://www.kadiak.org/photos/julian/index.html
http://www.kadiak.org/greely/greely.html
http://www.kadiak.org/greely/greely2.html
http://www.kadiak.org/

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rusty" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > Jude, thanks for trying the recipe. I'm glad you were able to modify it
>> > to your liking. It was originally my fathers recipe. He was no gourmet
>> > cook. In World War 2, he was an Army cook during the Aleutian campaign
>> > in Alaska. He was stationed on a U.S. Army tug boat out of Kodiak,
>> > Alaska from 1942-46. That's probably why the recipe is made with some
>> > fairly simple ingredients.

>> It's a small world, Rusty. My dad was also stationed in the Aleutians
>> during World War 2, as an Army Captain. He was in Kodiak, but I don't
>> know
>> any further details. If he were living now, he'd be 97 y.o.
>>

> I was born after my father returned from WW2 (1952). He was born in
> 1915 and passed away in 1970. I have done a little research about where
> he was stationed. The Army base in Kodiak, Alaska during WW2 was Ft.
> Greely. It was next to the Kodiak Naval base. The Army was provided
> with its own docking facilities at the Navy base, called the "Army
> Dock". That's where my father's seagoing Army Tug was based. It seems
> strange, but the Army did own and operate a variety of ships. He said
> they sailed all up and down the Aleutians, towing cargo to the various
> islands all the way out to Attu. He was stationed there from 1942 until
> 1946. He said the Army invoked some clause that kept him on duty for
> 1-year after the war ended (until Septemer 1946).
>
> Here is a link I found that has WW2 era pictures of the Kodiak Army
> Dock, and more info about Ft. Greely.
>
> http://www.kadiak.org/photos/julian/index.html
> http://www.kadiak.org/greely/greely.html
> http://www.kadiak.org/greely/greely2.html
> http://www.kadiak.org/
>
> -Rusty

Thanks,Rusty -- I love these pictures.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 17 Apr 2006 08:39:11a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Rusty?

> I was born after my father returned from WW2 (1952). He was born in
> 1915 and passed away in 1970. I have done a little research about where
> he was stationed. The Army base in Kodiak, Alaska during WW2 was Ft.
> Greely. It was next to the Kodiak Naval base. The Army was provided
> with its own docking facilities at the Navy base, called the "Army
> Dock". That's where my father's seagoing Army Tug was based. It seems
> strange, but the Army did own and operate a variety of ships. He said
> they sailed all up and down the Aleutians, towing cargo to the various
> islands all the way out to Attu. He was stationed there from 1942 until
> 1946. He said the Army invoked some clause that kept him on duty for
> 1-year after the war ended (until Septemer 1946).
>
> Here is a link I found that has WW2 era pictures of the Kodiak Army
> Dock, and more info about Ft. Greely.
>
> http://www.kadiak.org/photos/julian/index.html
> http://www.kadiak.org/greely/greely.html
> http://www.kadiak.org/greely/greely2.html
> http://www.kadiak.org/

My dad didn't talk much about the war, so I have very little detail. It's
nice to have a history like you do. Thanks for posting the links...very
interesting.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬