Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rusty burner.

I don't know what is going on with my stove. I replaced all of my drip pans
a little while back as they were starting to rust through. I put foil
liners in the new ones.

But now I noticed that some metal underneath one of the burners has rusted
to the point where it totally fell off. In researching this, the burner
is a 6", 5 turn (GE). There are three thin pieces of metal underneath the
coils and one of these is what rusted out.

I believe that my mom may have helped it along not long after I got the
stove. For some reason she was in the kitchen and decided that the drip pan
needed to be cleaned. Most likely it didn't. She has eye problems. Either
doesn't see very well or think she sees things that aren't really there. At
any rate, I watched in horror as she yanked the burner straight up to remove
it! That is how the burners came out on her old Kenmore. She has a flat
top now.

But this stove? The instruction manual (which I since managed to lose) said
to carefully and slowly slide the burners out and never to lift them up.
The burner never did sit flat after she did that and I think I know why now.
I think she partially broke off that one metal piece and now due to rust it
is just barely attached.

I noticed that some rust is starting in on the middles of some of the other
burners. Grrr... They'll have to wait. I made sure to order a genuine GE
part. Amazon has a lot of burners for sale a lot cheaper that look to be
the right thing but reviews said they were in fact cheap Chinese knockoffs.
Plus, GE makes two different burner types and some people were getting the
wrong thing. I ordered straight from GE and put in my stove model number so
I know I will be getting the correct thing.

I just don't know what is causing this rust! Nothing else in the kitchen is
rusting. Not now anyway... My old range hood was very rusty underneath.
But that's gone now and no rust on the new one. No rust anywhere else on
the stove. I am very careful not to boil things over. It may have happened
a time or two but if so, I really can't remember.

Meanwhile the burner does work. It's just sitting even more not flat than
it was. I suppose I could swap it out with the back burner that gets very
little use until the new one arrives. They're shipping Fed Ex and it said
the average time was 1.8 days.

I suppose this is not bad though. Stove is almost 10 years old. Only other
repair that I needed wasn't really a repair at all. I just didn't know how
to reattach those rods on the lift top that I accidentally pulled off. So I
called a repairman for that and he didn't know how to do it either. But
between the two of us, we finally got it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

[...]

I think you and I have the same stove top. I have tried to be very careful
when I remove the burners per the instructions. Even so, some of mine are
not level. I think it may be due to the iron skillets I use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:22:06 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't know what is going on with my stove. I replaced all of my drip pans
> a little while back as they were starting to rust through. I put foil
> liners in the new ones.
>

> But now I noticed that some metal underneath one of the burners has rusted
> to the point where it totally fell off. In researching this, the burner
> is a 6", 5 turn (GE). There are three thin pieces of metal underneath the
> coils and one of these is what rusted out.

Just for laughs, I would replace the foil trays with steel ones, just in
case the dissimilar metals are promoting corrosion.

> I believe that my mom may have helped it along not long after I got the
> stove. For some reason she was in the kitchen and decided that the drip pan
> needed to be cleaned. Most likely it didn't. She has eye problems. Either
> doesn't see very well or think she sees things that aren't really there. At
> any rate, I watched in horror as she yanked the burner straight up to remove
> it! That is how the burners came out on her old Kenmore. She has a flat
> top now.

Could be macular degeneration. How often does she see her eye doctor?

But older women are bossy. When my grandmother came to take care of us
when my mother was sick, she broke the shower valve because she couldn't
figure out how to turn it on.

> But this stove? The instruction manual (which I since managed to lose) said
> to carefully and slowly slide the burners out and never to lift them up.
>

> Plus, GE makes two different burner types and some people were getting the
> wrong thing. I ordered straight from GE and put in my stove model number so
> I know I will be getting the correct thing.
>

> I suppose this is not bad though. Stove is almost 10 years old. Only other
> repair that I needed wasn't really a repair at all. I just didn't know how
> to reattach those rods on the lift top that I accidentally pulled off. So I
> called a repairman for that and he didn't know how to do it either. But
> between the two of us, we finally got it.

GE is very good about helping consumers help themselves. Now that you
have the model number, you can call their helpline and get a manual.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:22:06 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't know what is going on with my stove. I replaced all of my drip
> pans
> a little while back as they were starting to rust through. I put foil
> liners in the new ones.
>

> But now I noticed that some metal underneath one of the burners has rusted
> to the point where it totally fell off. In researching this, the
> burner
> is a 6", 5 turn (GE). There are three thin pieces of metal underneath the
> coils and one of these is what rusted out.

Just for laughs, I would replace the foil trays with steel ones, just in
case the dissimilar metals are promoting corrosion.

> I believe that my mom may have helped it along not long after I got the
> stove. For some reason she was in the kitchen and decided that the drip
> pan
> needed to be cleaned. Most likely it didn't. She has eye problems.
> Either
> doesn't see very well or think she sees things that aren't really there.
> At
> any rate, I watched in horror as she yanked the burner straight up to
> remove
> it! That is how the burners came out on her old Kenmore. She has a flat
> top now.

Could be macular degeneration. How often does she see her eye doctor?

But older women are bossy. When my grandmother came to take care of us
when my mother was sick, she broke the shower valve because she couldn't
figure out how to turn it on.

> But this stove? The instruction manual (which I since managed to lose)
> said
> to carefully and slowly slide the burners out and never to lift them up.
>

> Plus, GE makes two different burner types and some people were getting the
> wrong thing. I ordered straight from GE and put in my stove model number
> so
> I know I will be getting the correct thing.
>

> I suppose this is not bad though. Stove is almost 10 years old. Only
> other
> repair that I needed wasn't really a repair at all. I just didn't know
> how
> to reattach those rods on the lift top that I accidentally pulled off. So
> called a repairman for that and he didn't know how to do it either. But
> between the two of us, we finally got it.

GE is very good about helping consumers help themselves. Now that you
have the model number, you can call their helpline and get a manual.

~~~~~~~
....Or go to their web page and download it. I have a file where I keep PDF
copies of manuals for all important appliances, cameras, etc. Several years
ago, I started to download manuals as soon as I made a major purchase, but I
have occasionally had to download one even for something that I have had for
a number of years.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/18/2014 11:05 AM, MaryL wrote:

> [...]

>> other
>> repair that I needed wasn't really a repair at all. I just didn't
>> know how
>> to reattach those rods on the lift top that I accidentally pulled
>> off. So I
>> called a repairman for that and he didn't know how to do it either. But
>> between the two of us, we finally got it.

> GE is very good about helping consumers help themselves. Now that you
> have the model number, you can call their helpline and get a manual.
>
> ~~~~~~~
> ...Or go to their web page and download it. I have a file where I keep
> PDF copies of manuals for all important appliances, cameras, etc.
> Several years ago, I started to download manuals as soon as I made a
> major purchase, but I have occasionally had to download one even for
> something that I have had for a number of years.

Ah, Rusty Burner; didn't he release a couple of albums in the 60s?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:14:12 AM UTC-7, Travis McGee wrote:

> Ah, Rusty Burner; didn't he release a couple of albums in the 60s?

You're thinking of Rusty Draper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaqheh0vSng
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't know what is going on with my stove. I replaced all of my drip pans
> a little while back as they were starting to rust through. I put foil
> liners in the new ones.
>
> But now I noticed that some metal underneath one of the burners has rusted
> to the point where it totally fell off. In researching this, the burner
> is a 6", 5 turn (GE). There are three thin pieces of metal underneath the
> coils and one of these is what rusted out.

Here ya go starting another picking-on-you session, Julie. I've never
had or heard of stoves rusting anywhere...especially ones only 10
years old. My gas stove is about 30 years old (or more) and no rust.

G.

PS - sorry, I accidently sent this response to you personally the
first time. I just hit the wrong reply-to choice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what is going on with my stove. I replaced all of my drip
>> pans
>> a little while back as they were starting to rust through. I put foil
>> liners in the new ones.
>>
>> But now I noticed that some metal underneath one of the burners has
>> rusted
>> to the point where it totally fell off. In researching this, the
>> burner
>> is a 6", 5 turn (GE). There are three thin pieces of metal underneath
>> the
>> coils and one of these is what rusted out.
>>

> Here ya go starting another picking-on-you session, Julie. I've never
> had or heard of stoves rusting anywhere...especially ones only 10
> years old. My gas stove is about 30 years old (or more) and no rust.

Another poster wrote that she too had found the same problem!

"I think you and I have the same stove top. I have tried to be very careful
when I remove the burners per the instructions. Even so, some of mine are
not level. I think it may be due to the iron skillets I use." Phyllis
Stone.

So now? Will you be writing to her too?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Phyllis Stone" > wrote in message

> I think you and I have the same stove top. I have tried to be very careful
> when I remove the burners per the instructions. Even so, some of mine are
> not level. I think it may be due to the iron skillets I use.

My other burners are fine. This one just hasn't been since my mom yanked it
out in the wrong way. I did read online that many of the knockoff burners
are not level.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:22:06 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I don't know what is going on with my stove. I replaced all of my drip
>> pans
>> a little while back as they were starting to rust through. I put foil
>> liners in the new ones.
>>

>> But now I noticed that some metal underneath one of the burners has
>> rusted
>> to the point where it totally fell off. In researching this, the
>> burner
>> is a 6", 5 turn (GE). There are three thin pieces of metal underneath
>> the
>> coils and one of these is what rusted out.

> Just for laughs, I would replace the foil trays with steel ones, just in
> case the dissimilar metals are promoting corrosion.
>
>> I believe that my mom may have helped it along not long after I got the
>> stove. For some reason she was in the kitchen and decided that the drip
>> pan
>> needed to be cleaned. Most likely it didn't. She has eye problems.
>> Either
>> doesn't see very well or think she sees things that aren't really there.
>> At
>> any rate, I watched in horror as she yanked the burner straight up to
>> remove
>> it! That is how the burners came out on her old Kenmore. She has a flat
>> top now.

> Could be macular degeneration. How often does she see her eye doctor?
>
> But older women are bossy. When my grandmother came to take care of us
> when my mother was sick, she broke the shower valve because she couldn't
> figure out how to turn it on.
>

>> But this stove? The instruction manual (which I since managed to lose)
>> said
>> to carefully and slowly slide the burners out and never to lift them up.
>>

>> Plus, GE makes two different burner types and some people were getting
>> the
>> wrong thing. I ordered straight from GE and put in my stove model number
>> so
>> I know I will be getting the correct thing.
>>

>> I suppose this is not bad though. Stove is almost 10 years old. Only
>> other
>> repair that I needed wasn't really a repair at all. I just didn't know
>> how
>> to reattach those rods on the lift top that I accidentally pulled off.
>> So I
>> called a repairman for that and he didn't know how to do it either. But
>> between the two of us, we finally got it.

> GE is very good about helping consumers help themselves. Now that you
> have the model number, you can call their helpline and get a manual.

Maybe. I think my stove is too old and I don't really need the manual. I
found it online.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > wrote in message

> [...]

>> other
>> repair that I needed wasn't really a repair at all. I just didn't know
>> how
>> to reattach those rods on the lift top that I accidentally pulled off.
>> So I
>> called a repairman for that and he didn't know how to do it either. But
>> between the two of us, we finally got it.

> GE is very good about helping consumers help themselves. Now that you
> have the model number, you can call their helpline and get a manual.
>
> ~~~~~~~
> ...Or go to their web page and download it. I have a file where I keep
> PDF copies of manuals for all important appliances, cameras, etc. Several
> years ago, I started to download manuals as soon as I made a major
> purchase, but I have occasionally had to download one even for something

I did that. But there wasn't anything in there that I didn't already know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Travis McGee" > wrote in message
> [...]

>>> know how
>>> to reattach those rods on the lift top that I accidentally pulled
>>> off. So I
>>> called a repairman for that and he didn't know how to do it either. But
>>> between the two of us, we finally got it.

>> GE is very good about helping consumers help themselves. Now that you
>> have the model number, you can call their helpline and get a manual.
>>
>> ~~~~~~~
>> ...Or go to their web page and download it. I have a file where I keep
>> PDF copies of manuals for all important appliances, cameras, etc.
>> Several years ago, I started to download manuals as soon as I made a
>> major purchase, but I have occasionally had to download one even for
>> something that I have had for a number of years.
>>
>> MaryL
>>

> Ah, Rusty Burner; didn't he release a couple of albums in the 60s?

One went Platinum!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what is going on with my stove. I replaced all of my drip
>> pans
>> a little while back as they were starting to rust through. I put foil
>> liners in the new ones.
>>
>> But now I noticed that some metal underneath one of the burners has
>> rusted
>> to the point where it totally fell off. In researching this, the
>> burner
>> is a 6", 5 turn (GE). There are three thin pieces of metal underneath
>> the
>> coils and one of these is what rusted out.
>>

> Here ya go starting another picking-on-you session, Julie. I've never
> had or heard of stoves rusting anywhere...especially ones only 10
> years old. My gas stove is about 30 years old (or more) and no rust.
>
> G.
>
> PS - sorry, I accidently sent this response to you personally the
> first time. I just hit the wrong reply-to choice.

Well, you've heard of it now. It isn't the stove itself that is rusting.
First it was the drip trays. Now little bits of the burners.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know what is going on with my stove. I replaced all of my drip
>>> pans
>>> a little while back as they were starting to rust through. I put foil
>>> liners in the new ones.
>>>
>>> But now I noticed that some metal underneath one of the burners has
>>> rusted
>>> to the point where it totally fell off. In researching this, the
>>> burner
>>> is a 6", 5 turn (GE). There are three thin pieces of metal underneath
>>> the
>>> coils and one of these is what rusted out.
>>>

>> Here ya go starting another picking-on-you session, Julie. I've never
>> had or heard of stoves rusting anywhere...especially ones only 10
>> years old. My gas stove is about 30 years old (or more) and no rust.

> Another poster wrote that she too had found the same problem!
>
> "I think you and I have the same stove top. I have tried to be very
> careful
> when I remove the burners per the instructions. Even so, some of mine are
> not level. I think it may be due to the iron skillets I use." Phyllis
> Stone.
>
> So now? Will you be writing to her too?

My stove was a cheap one. I can't swear to the price but for sure under
$500. I needed one in the biscuit color to match my other appliances until
I could get them replaced as well. And I wanted self cleaning. I got the
cheapest I could find.

PING Rusty - Thank You! Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] General Cooking 0 07-03-2009 08:27 PM
Which is better Beefeater Discovery 4 burner or Vermont Castings Sig.Series 4 burner? sudburymom Barbecue 0 20-04-2008 09:40 PM
Rusty Wok Pan [email protected] General Cooking 18 10-05-2006 09:22 PM
PING: Rusty Jude General Cooking 12 17-04-2006 11:00 PM
48" DCS Range: 5 burner/26K BTU gridlle or 6 burner/18K BTU griddle Doug Ventura Cooking Equipment 1 13-09-2004 08:01 PM