Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cost-effective way to shell 10 pounds of sunflower seeds?

I have received ~ 10 pounds of roasted slated sunflower seeds IN THE SHELLs.
They're not what I ordered (I ordered them shelled) and I can't return them.
Life is too short to shell them one by one, and I'm not going to insult my
guests by offering them seeds in the shells, so, is there anything I can do
to get usable seeds out of them?

Is there any cost effective way to have such a small amount shelled?
If so, please share it with me/us.

If not, any good ideas on what to do with them?

- toss in the dumpster?
- put in a bird feeder? (Do birds eat them roasted & salted in the shells?)
- use as packing material? (too heavy)
- sell on ebay?
- scatter across the nearby city park grounds?
- Give to someone I don't ever want to see again?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 22:03:06 -0700, Nelson B
> wrote:

>I have received ~ 10 pounds of roasted slated sunflower seeds IN THE SHELLs.
>They're not what I ordered (I ordered them shelled) and I can't return them.
>Life is too short to shell them one by one, and I'm not going to insult my
>guests by offering them seeds in the shells, so, is there anything I can do
>to get usable seeds out of them?
>
>Is there any cost effective way to have such a small amount shelled?
>If so, please share it with me/us.
>
>If not, any good ideas on what to do with them?
>
>- toss in the dumpster?
>- put in a bird feeder? (Do birds eat them roasted & salted in the shells?)
>- use as packing material? (too heavy)
>- sell on ebay?
>- scatter across the nearby city park grounds?
>- Give to someone I don't ever want to see again?

A lot of people love salted in the shell sunflower seeds. Ask around.
Or post your general location and see if anyone from RFC will take
them off your hands.

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 22:03:06 -0700, Nelson B wrote:

> I have received ~ 10 pounds of roasted slated sunflower seeds IN THE SHELLs.
> They're not what I ordered (I ordered them shelled) and I can't return them.
> Life is too short to shell them one by one, and I'm not going to insult my
> guests by offering them seeds in the shells,

I don't think you'll insult anyone by putting out sunflower seeds in
shells... especially if you pick the occasion properly. Don't serve
them with champagne and caviar - they go better with beer and dogs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 22:03:06 -0700, Nelson B
> wrote:

>I have received ~ 10 pounds of roasted slated sunflower seeds IN THE SHELLs.
>They're not what I ordered (I ordered them shelled) and I can't return them.
>Life is too short to shell them one by one, and I'm not going to insult my
>guests by offering them seeds in the shells, so, is there anything I can do
>to get usable seeds out of them?
>
>Is there any cost effective way to have such a small amount shelled?
>If so, please share it with me/us.
>
>If not, any good ideas on what to do with them?
>
>- toss in the dumpster?
>- put in a bird feeder? (Do birds eat them roasted & salted in the shells?)
>- use as packing material? (too heavy)
>- sell on ebay?
>- scatter across the nearby city park grounds?
>- Give to someone I don't ever want to see again?

Sheesh, they're not spoor out of satan's bum! I love sunflower seeds in
the shells. Just 'cos you don't like them doesn't mean your guests won't.
But if you're intent on getting rid of them, I'm sure someone from here who
lives near you would be happy to take them off your hands.

--
Siobhan Perricone
One trend that bothers me is the glorification of
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ray Ray is offline

> If not, any good ideas on what to do with them?

Donate them to a local Little League. Kids still eat them when they play
baseball, don't they? Or am I that far behind the times?

"Nelson B" > wrote in message
. ..
>I have received ~ 10 pounds of roasted slated sunflower seeds IN THE
>SHELLs.
> They're not what I ordered (I ordered them shelled) and I can't return
> them.
> Life is too short to shell them one by one, and I'm not going to insult my
> guests by offering them seeds in the shells, so, is there anything I can
> do
> to get usable seeds out of them?
>
> Is there any cost effective way to have such a small amount shelled?
> If so, please share it with me/us.
>
> If not, any good ideas on what to do with them?
>
> - toss in the dumpster?
> - put in a bird feeder? (Do birds eat them roasted & salted in the
> shells?)
> - use as packing material? (too heavy)
> - sell on ebay?
> - scatter across the nearby city park grounds?
> - Give to someone I don't ever want to see again?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nelson B wrote:
> I have received ~ 10 pounds of roasted slated sunflower seeds IN THE SHELLs.
> They're not what I ordered (I ordered them shelled) and I can't return them.
> Life is too short to shell them one by one, and I'm not going to insult my
> guests by offering them seeds in the shells, so, is there anything I can do
> to get usable seeds out of them?
>
> Is there any cost effective way to have such a small amount shelled?
> If so, please share it with me/us.
>
> If not, any good ideas on what to do with them?
>
> - toss in the dumpster?
> - put in a bird feeder? (Do birds eat them roasted & salted in the shells?)
> - use as packing material? (too heavy)
> - sell on ebay?
> - scatter across the nearby city park grounds?
> - Give to someone I don't ever want to see again?

Nothing wrong with them. :-)
They make a nice low carb snack and end up being somewhat low calorie
since you have to work for the meat. <G>

I'd just freeze them and snack on whatever I want at the moment. You
simply have a supply for a few months.

But if you really don't want them, yes, DO put them on the bird feeder.
The birds will appreciate the salt very much.

Many moons ago when I was a little kid, my parents were good freinds
with this guy in California that owned an old line cabin on 40 acres.
The cabin had no electricity but was supplied with running water from a
windmill. The toilet was an outhouse about 100 yards away from the
cabin. It was kinda fun to learn primitive living <G>

Since we lived in Los Angeles, mom and dad would go up there most
weekends to "escape" from the city. We'd make hand-cranked ice cream
during the summer which involves rock salt and ice. Mom would dump the
ice and remaining rock salt on the ground a little way away from the
cabin.

It was always gone within 2 days. All of the wild birds, especially
blue jays, would gobble it up! Salt is a real treat to wild animals and
as far as I know, it won't hurt them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 22:03:06 -0700, Nelson B
> wrote:

>I have received ~ 10 pounds of roasted slated sunflower seeds IN THE SHELLs.
>They're not what I ordered (I ordered them shelled) and I can't return them.
>Life is too short to shell them one by one, and I'm not going to insult my
>guests by offering them seeds in the shells, so, is there anything I can do
>to get usable seeds out of them?
>
>Is there any cost effective way to have such a small amount shelled?
>If so, please share it with me/us.
>
>If not, any good ideas on what to do with them?
>
>- toss in the dumpster?
>- put in a bird feeder? (Do birds eat them roasted & salted in the shells?)
>- use as packing material? (too heavy)
>- sell on ebay?
>- scatter across the nearby city park grounds?
>- Give to someone I don't ever want to see again?

Birds ADORE sunflower seeds and they're quite happy to shell them for
you... we used to put them out for the magpies to eat. If you don't
want to eat them yourself, I'm sure that the birds will love you for
the chance to eat them, but if you want to be kind to them rinse the
salt off first...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nelson B wrote:
> I have received ~ 10 pounds of roasted slated sunflower seeds IN THE SHELLs.
> They're not what I ordered (I ordered them shelled) and I can't return them.
> Life is too short to shell them one by one, and I'm not going to insult my
> guests by offering them seeds in the shells, so, is there anything I can do
> to get usable seeds out of them?
>
> Is there any cost effective way to have such a small amount shelled?
> If so, please share it with me/us.
>
> If not, any good ideas on what to do with them?
>
> - toss in the dumpster?
> - put in a bird feeder? (Do birds eat them roasted & salted in the shells?)
> - use as packing material? (too heavy)
> - sell on ebay?
> - scatter across the nearby city park grounds?
> - Give to someone I don't ever want to see again?

http://www.sunflowernsa.com/default.asp

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nelson B wrote:

> I have received ~ 10 pounds of roasted slated sunflower seeds IN THE SHELLs.
> They're not what I ordered (I ordered them shelled) and I can't return them.
> Life is too short to shell them one by one, and I'm not going to insult my
> guests by offering them seeds in the shells, so, is there anything I can do
> to get usable seeds out of them?
>
> Is there any cost effective way to have such a small amount shelled?
> If so, please share it with me/us.
>
> If not, any good ideas on what to do with them?
>
> - toss in the dumpster?
> - put in a bird feeder? (Do birds eat them roasted & salted in the shells?)
> - use as packing material? (too heavy)
> - sell on ebay?
> - scatter across the nearby city park grounds?
> - Give to someone I don't ever want to see again?

I don't understand why thery are non-returnable if what you ordered came
wrong. I hope they sent you your correct order!

I believe there will be someone who will take them off your hands.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nelson B wrote:
> I have received ~ 10 pounds of roasted slated sunflower seeds IN THE SHELLs.
> They're not what I ordered (I ordered them shelled) and I can't return them.
> Life is too short to shell them one by one, and I'm not going to insult my
> guests by offering them seeds in the shells, so, is there anything I can do
> to get usable seeds out of them?
>
> Is there any cost effective way to have such a small amount shelled?
> If so, please share it with me/us.
>
> If not, any good ideas on what to do with them?
>
> - toss in the dumpster?
> - put in a bird feeder? (Do birds eat them roasted & salted in the shells?)
> - use as packing material? (too heavy)
> - sell on ebay?
> - scatter across the nearby city park grounds?
> - Give to someone I don't ever want to see again?

Found this: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=279704

During chinese new year, seeds in shells are standard item.. crack the
shell with teeth and pull the seed out to eat. After a while, the jaw
hurts...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Apr 2006 00:57:47 -0700, "dee" > wrote:

>During chinese new year, seeds in shells are standard item.. crack the
>shell with teeth and pull the seed out to eat. After a while, the jaw
>hurts...

I like the shells, too. Wonderful for clearing out your intestines.

--
Siobhan Perricone
One trend that bothers me is the glorification of
stupidity, that the media is reassuring people it's
all right not to know anything.... That to me is
far more dangerous than a little pornography
on the Internet. - Carl Sagan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Fee3d to wild birds equipped with a ring around their necks a la cormorants.
The birds will crack the seeds, be unable to swallow them and presto!!!!!
SCORE BIG!!!!

F.J.

"Nelson B" > wrote in message
. ..
>I have received ~ 10 pounds of roasted slated sunflower seeds IN THE
>SHELLs.
> They're not what I ordered (I ordered them shelled) and I can't return
> them.
> Life is too short to shell them one by one, and I'm not going to insult my
> guests by offering them seeds in the shells, so, is there anything I can
> do
> to get usable seeds out of them?
>
> Is there any cost effective way to have such a small amount shelled?
> If so, please share it with me/us.
>
> If not, any good ideas on what to do with them?
>
> - toss in the dumpster?
> - put in a bird feeder? (Do birds eat them roasted & salted in the
> shells?)
> - use as packing material? (too heavy)
> - sell on ebay?
> - scatter across the nearby city park grounds?
> - Give to someone I don't ever want to see again?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Feed to wild birds equipped with a ring around their necks
> a la cormorants. The birds will crack the seeds, be unable
> to swallow them and presto!!!!! SCORE BIG!!!!

LOL! That was my first thought too. You should be able to get at
*least* a couple shelled before the birds die of asphyxiation, and even
then it should be easy enough to dig the seeds out of their beaks.

Meanwhile, I *think* I've solved the mystery of the OP's ordering
mistake: does the word "shelled" mean the seeds have shells on them,
or does it mean the shells have been removed?

second request sunflower seeds [email protected] Preserving 3 28-08-2007 10:28 PM
Sunflower Seeds [email protected] Preserving 0 23-08-2007 03:54 PM
Sunflower Seeds Cougar Diabetic 13 17-06-2007 08:00 PM
Opinions, please on the best cost effective Induction Frying Pans Klaatu Cooking Equipment 1 27-01-2007 01:13 AM
Sunflower seeds ~August General Cooking 2 06-10-2003 07:18 PM