~August

Default Sunflower seeds

Can anyone tell me the best way to roast sunflower seeds fresh from the
flower. It is my understanding that you are suppose to let the flower fade
and then chop the head off and let the seeds dry before picking them off the
flower... then you just salt and roast them??? But the last couple years I
tried that, they didn't taste very good. Specifically, the seeds were too
soft the first year and too crisp the next year. And the salt didn't stick
to the seeds.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

~August

~August

Wouldn't you know it.... i search and search and search... finally give up
and find this group to post to.... go back to my search... and the next page
i pull up has the answer!
Boil and simmer??? Whodda thunk it?
Thanks anyway!

http://www.pumpkinnook.com/cookbook/sunflower.htm

year or so, they have become the rage. You find them everywhere, ball games,
parties, outdoor activities or just an evening snacks. Such a great taste.
It's hard to believe how something this good can also be good for you.

----
Ingredients: 1 cup Sunflower Seeds
2 quarts Water
l /2cup Salt

Note: For salt free sunflower seeds, rinse seeds and go straight to step #
7.

----
Preparation Directions:
1.. Add water and salt in a pot or saucepan.
2.. Rinse sunflower seeds and remove any plant and flowerhead matter.
3.. Add sunflower seeds.
4.. Bring water to a boil, then turn down to simmer.
5.. Simmer 1 to 1/1/2 hours.
6.. Drain on a paper towel until dry. Do not rinse.
7.. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
8.. Spread seeds on a cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes.
9.. Stir frequently.
10.. Remove from oven when they turn slightly brown.
"~August" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me the best way to roast sunflower seeds fresh from the
> flower.

PENMART01

In article >, "~August"
> writes:

>Can anyone tell me the best way to roast sunflower seeds fresh from the
>flower. It is my understanding that you are suppose to let the flower fade
>and then chop the head off and let the seeds dry before picking them off the
>flower... then you just salt and roast them??? But the last couple years I
>tried that, they didn't taste very good. Specifically, the seeds were too
>soft the first year and too crisp the next year. And the salt didn't stick
>to the seeds.
>Any suggestions would be appreciated!

---> http://okok.essortment.com/growingsunflowe_rsos.htm

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon

second request sunflower seeds [email protected] Preserving 3 28-08-2007 10:28 PM
Sunflower Seeds [email protected] Preserving 0 23-08-2007 03:54 PM
Sunflower Seeds Cougar Diabetic 13 17-06-2007 08:00 PM
Jim Beam Sunflower Seeds? Maxwell Sanchez General Cooking 5 02-08-2004 10:27 PM
Sunflower Seeds Vegan? Wohali Vegan 47 18-11-2003 04:23 AM