Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sunflower Seeds

Just wondering if sunflower seeds (in shell) spike anybody's BG?
Kris

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have no problems with any nuts at all..but as always eat em and test and
see!
:-)

KROM

"Cougar" > wrote in message
> Just wondering if sunflower seeds (in shell) spike anybody's BG?
> Kris

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cougar formulated on Monday :
> Just wondering if sunflower seeds (in shell) spike anybody's BG?
> Kris

No problem for me. I eat almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds and natural
peanut butter.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks guys. I try not to over do. I love nuts! I'm thinking of going to
the health food store and getting some natural peanut and/or almond butter.
I think it might be better for me than just regular Jiff. I know moderation
is the key, but still having trouble with that one, and the snacking. The
sunflower seeds really help with this.
Kris

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I eat almonds and peanuts and pistachios pretty much daily and i get zero
spike from peanutbutter with no sugar strwberry jam on low carb bread or in
a low carb tortillia.
It fills you up and hits the full/satisfaction button.

KROM

"Cougar" > wrote in message
> Thanks guys. I try not to over do. I love nuts! I'm thinking of going
> the health food store and getting some natural peanut and/or almond
> butter.
> I think it might be better for me than just regular Jiff. I know
> moderation
> is the key, but still having trouble with that one, and the snacking. The
> sunflower seeds really help with this.
> Kris

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cougar wrote:
> Just wondering if sunflower seeds (in shell) spike anybody's BG?
> Kris

DH eats lots of them. If the only ones he can get are salted, he rinses
them off first. The best kind are the raw ones from the health food
store that he toasts in the oven.

I hate them. Not the taste, but the cracking noise when he eats them and
the mess that, even if he's careful, makes my house look like the bottom
of a bird cage.

The things we do for love....

Tonight was another oriental dinner using Dreamfields in a noodle dish
with shredded cucumber and carrots. Very yummy! I use 2 oz of
Dreamfields for the two of us. I adapted a recipe in a cookbook I've had
for 20 years. If anyone wants it, I'll try to recreate it in Master Cook.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Funny...thanks for sharing that!
Kris

> I hate them. Not the taste, but the cracking noise when he eats them and
> the mess that, even if he's careful, makes my house look like the bottom
> of a bird cage.
>
> The things we do for love....

> Janet Wilder

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: Cougar wrote:
: > Just wondering if sunflower seeds (in shell) spike anybody's BG?
: > Kris
: >
: >
: DH eats lots of them. If the only ones he can get are salted, he rinses
: them off first. The best kind are the raw ones from the health food
: store that he toasts in the oven.

: I hate them. Not the taste, but the cracking noise when he eats them and
: the mess that, even if he's careful, makes my house look like the bottom
: of a bird cage.

: The things we do for love....

: Tonight was another oriental dinner using Dreamfields in a noodle dish
: with shredded cucumber and carrots. Very yummy! I use 2 oz of
: Dreamfields for the two of us. I adapted a recipe in a cookbook I've had
: for 20 years. If anyone wants it, I'll try to recreate it in Master Cook.

Janet,

Get him a little carpet sweeper or dust pan an dbrush and get him to pick
p the stuff himself. I have been trying to get my husband to do that for
years:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cougar" > wrote in message
> Thanks guys. I try not to over do. I love nuts! I'm thinking of going
> the health food store and getting some natural peanut and/or almond
> butter.
> I think it might be better for me than just regular Jiff. I know
> moderation
> is the key, but still having trouble with that one, and the snacking. The
> sunflower seeds really help with this.
> Kris

Jif has sugar in it. Look at the list of ingredients and make sure there
is no sugar next time you buy a natural Peanut butter. I like Shop Rite
natural peanut butter the best, and it is cheap too.

--
Best Regards,

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn Ruut wrote:

> Jif has sugar in it. Look at the list of ingredients and make sure
> there is no sugar next time you buy a natural Peanut butter. I like
> Shop Rite natural peanut butter the best, and it is cheap too.

Unfortunately there aren't Shop Rites all over the country, just in the
New York metro area.

Check other store/house brands. If a large processor makes it under Shop
Rite's house name, chances are you will find it under the house name of
another large, regional chain.

Now for the truth: There are 7 grams of carbs in a 2 tablespoon serving
of regular, everyday Jif. 2 grams of fiber if you are one of those who
count less than 5 grams of fiber when subtracting from total carbs.

There is nothing wrong with sugar. There is something wrong with
ingesting more carbohydrates than your meds can handle. JMHO

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Hi,

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Evelyn Ruut wrote:
>
>> Jif has sugar in it. Look at the list of ingredients and make sure
>> there is no sugar next time you buy a natural Peanut butter. I like
>> Shop Rite natural peanut butter the best, and it is cheap too.

[snip]

> Now for the truth: There are 7 grams of carbs in a 2 tablespoon serving
> of regular, everyday Jif. 2 grams of fiber if you are one of those who
> count less than 5 grams of fiber when subtracting from total carbs.

Yep, that was a surprise to me. I got diagnosed in April, had recently
purchased a jar of natural peanut butter and while learning about what I
could and couldn't have read on the label no carbs.

I used up that jar, then opened a jar of Jiff I had bought at Costco
just before being diagnosed and didn't look at the label until some time
later when I discovered the carbs in it. Really can't afford to be
throwing food out, so I ended up having a 1 slice of bread peanut butter
sandwich with lots of PB instead of having 2 slices of bread to balance
out the carbs.

I'm in the hunt for a new job and I expect that for this Christmas I
will by myself either a VitaMix or a BlendTec mixer so I can start
making my own natural PB at home.

> There is nothing wrong with sugar. There is something wrong with
> ingesting more carbohydrates than your meds can handle. JMHO

Bingo!

Dale

--
Diagnosed TII on April 7, 2007 with bG of 575
06/07/2007: A1C 7.5, 05/03/2007: A1C 10.7, 04/07/2007: A1C 14.2

http://TheColony.com/
Community site for people living or working in The Colony, TX and
surrounding communities! Free blogs, classifieds, clubs and more.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: Evelyn Ruut wrote:

[...]

A&P carries Master's Coice as their store brand of natural peanut butter.
i woudl imagine that bothWaldbaums and Food Emporium would also carry it,
as they are all the same company.

Wendy : --
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Dale > wrote:
: Hi,

: Janet Wilder wrote:
: > Evelyn Ruut wrote:
: >
: >> Jif has sugar in it. Look at the list of ingredients and make sure
: >> there is no sugar next time you buy a natural Peanut butter. I like
: >> Shop Rite natural peanut butter the best, and it is cheap too.

: [snip]

: >
[...]

: Bingo!

: Dale

Try using some of the low carb breads or pitas with your peanub butters.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Also the health food stores often have natural peanut butter, but always
check the label anyway to be sure....

--
Best Regards,

Evelyn
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Evelyn Ruut wrote:
>
>> Jif has sugar in it. Look at the list of ingredients and make sure
>> there is no sugar next time you buy a natural Peanut butter. I like
>> Shop Rite natural peanut butter the best, and it is cheap too.
>>

> Unfortunately there aren't Shop Rites all over the country, just in the
> New York metro area.
>
> Check other store/house brands. If a large processor makes it under Shop
> Rite's house name, chances are you will find it under the house name of
> another large, regional chain.
>
> Now for the truth: There are 7 grams of carbs in a 2 tablespoon serving
> of regular, everyday Jif. 2 grams of fiber if you are one of those who
> count less than 5 grams of fiber when subtracting from total carbs.
>

> There is nothing wrong with sugar. There is something wrong with ingesting
> more carbohydrates than your meds can handle. JMHO
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

second request sunflower seeds [email protected] Preserving 3 28-08-2007 10:28 PM
Sunflower Seeds [email protected] Preserving 0 23-08-2007 03:54 PM
Jim Beam Sunflower Seeds? Maxwell Sanchez General Cooking 5 02-08-2004 10:27 PM
Sunflower Seeds Vegan? Wohali Vegan 47 18-11-2003 03:23 AM
Sunflower seeds ~August General Cooking 2 06-10-2003 07:18 PM