Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favorite Girl Scout Cookie?

Thin mints.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:04:21 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>Thin mints.

You evil bitch! LOL!

I love the ones with caramel, coconut, and chocolate, all piled on top
of a cookie base. Second and third choices are Thin Mints and
Shortbread.

You evil, evil bitch!

Peace,
Carol, who is low-carbing for life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> Thin mints.
> --
> Peace, Om.

You're kidding, right? All their cookies are awful. I just make a
contribution and tell them I can't eat cookies. This amazes them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> I love the ones with caramel, coconut, and chocolate, all piled on top
> of a cookie base.

They're called Samoas. Those were my favorite for a long time, but I'm
finding myself less interested in overly sweet coconut foods
(especially desserts) lately. Maybe it's my growing interest in cooking
with coconut milk, which impart the flavor but isn't so sickeningly
sweet and chewy.

My favorites now are the chocolate-covered peanut butter patties, but
frozen. They taste like frozen reese cups with a bonus cookie part!
They make 2 kinfd of PB cookies - Tagalongs and Do-Si-Dos. I THINK
these are the tagalongs but I'm not sure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Mar 2006 12:17:02 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> I love the ones with caramel, coconut, and chocolate, all piled on top
>> of a cookie base.

>They're called Samoas.

Yup, that's them. I haven't had any in over a decade. I'm not sure
if I'd like them now or not, but I don't intend to find out. <G>

Peace,
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> You evil bitch! LOL!
>
> I love the ones with caramel, coconut, and chocolate, all piled on top
> of a cookie base. Second and third choices are Thin Mints and
> Shortbread.

Are there still choices? I used to like the Vanilla sandwich cookies when
they came in a box with half vanilla and half chocolate. I was never too
keen on the chocolate covered mint patties. There aren't any young girls
living around here and my wife is retired from teaching so we haven't felt
obligated to buy any for a few years. I can't say that I miss them.

For some reason I stopped baking cookies for a few years and decided to
just buy them once in a while. My favourites were Peek Freans, but they
were bought out by Kraft and the quality went downhill. They got
Kraftized. So I stopped buying them. I decided to make a batch of cookies
and immediately felt pretty silly for having been buying them when they
are so easy to make, and so much much better than any you can buy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-28, Doug Kanter > wrote:

> You're kidding, right? All their cookies are awful.

Nonsense. I've been buying their shortbread cookies for decades.
Love 'em!

> I just make a
> contribution and tell them I can't eat cookies. This amazes them.

That's what I do for their candies. Does freak 'em out, don't it.

I wish the Boy Scouts shilled something good to eat. When I was a
scout, we sold fireworks to raise money, but the safety police have
screwed that up. I just send them a check directly, thereby avoiding
all that PC bullshit from United Way.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:35:53 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>I wish the Boy Scouts shilled something good to eat. When I was a
>scout, we sold fireworks to raise money, but the safety police have
>screwed that up. I just send them a check directly, thereby avoiding
>all that PC bullshit from United Way.

Most troops I've been aware of put on an annual spaghetti dinner. Have
you checked to see if your local troops do something along the same
lines?

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> I wish the Boy Scouts shilled something good to eat. When I was a
> scout, we sold fireworks to raise money, but the safety police have
> screwed that up. I just send them a check directly, thereby avoiding
> all that PC bullshit from United Way.
>
> nb

We enjoy their microwave popcorn. Good stuff, nearly all the kernels
pop and not too much fake butter flavor.

We eat too many boxes of the girlscout Samoas and Thin Mints to count.
I think there are about six boxes still in the freezer. Husband brought
home nuts and chocolate mint candies (rather like Frango mints) a few
months back.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet > writes:
> Thin mints.

Samoas, where available (where Little Brownie Bakers supply the
cookies). Oddly, I don't really like the fairly similar Caramel
deLites (made by ABC Bakers). The former is more of a "caramel with a
cookie center", while the latter is more of a "caramel coated cookie."

Since I live in a border area between two different Girl Scout
councils, this means that half the troops aren't selling my preferred
cookie.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Thin mints.

thin mints, frozen, or those coconut-chocolate ones (samoas?)

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

Adam Bowman wrote:
>I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
> then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
> wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
> messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
> your intention?
>
> That type of argument is like
>
> "Bob shot someone"
>
> "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Thin mints.

The best. Try them frozen, even better.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote

> My favorites now are the chocolate-covered peanut butter patties, but
> frozen. They taste like frozen reese cups with a bonus cookie part!
> They make 2 kinfd of PB cookies - Tagalongs and Do-Si-Dos. I THINK
> these are the tagalongs but I'm not sure.

Yeah, Tagalongs, those are my favorite, too ... haven't had the
? Trefoils in a long long time, those are the shortbread. On
vacation a girl scout was selling cookies outside the Win Dixie,
got a box of thin mints ... I haven't had those in forever either,
I was pleasantly surprised how good they were.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:31:23 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>For some reason I stopped baking cookies for a few years and decided to
>just buy them once in a while. My favourites were Peek Freans, but they
>were bought out by Kraft and the quality went downhill. They got
>Kraftized. So I stopped buying them.

Okay, I've gotta ask. What's a Peek Frean?

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-28, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> Most troops I've been aware of put on an annual spaghetti dinner. Have
> you checked to see if your local troops do something along the same
> lines?

Our troop didn't put on a dinner, but we acted as waitstaff/bussboys
to our Elks Lodge when they put their huge annual spaghetti dinner.
They were the primary sponsor of our troop.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote

> Okay, I've gotta ask. What's a Peek Frean?

WHAT??! Peek Frean's are a very serious cookie!

(laugh) That was their catchy song ... they make nice
cookies. Small boxes, pricy. Good.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2006-03-28, Doug Kanter > wrote:
>
>> You're kidding, right? All their cookies are awful.

> Nonsense. I've been buying their shortbread cookies for decades.
> Love 'em!
>
>> I just make a
>> contribution and tell them I can't eat cookies. This amazes them.

> That's what I do for their candies. Does freak 'em out, don't it.
>
> I wish the Boy Scouts shilled something good to eat. When I was a
> scout, we sold fireworks to raise money, but the safety police have
> screwed that up. I just send them a check directly, thereby avoiding
> all that PC bullshit from United Way.
>
> nb

My son and I had such hideous experiences with the Boy Scouts that the name
of the organizations makes us nauseous. No money for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Richard Kaszeta wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > writes:
> > Thin mints.

> Samoas, where available (where Little Brownie Bakers supply the
> cookies). Oddly, I don't really like the fairly similar Caramel
> deLites (made by ABC Bakers). The former is more of a "caramel with a
> cookie center", while the latter is more of a "caramel coated cookie."
>
> Since I live in a border area between two different Girl Scout
> councils, this means that half the troops aren't selling my preferred
> cookie.

Really? GS Cookies aren
t all made by the same corporation? I had no idea. I've lived east and
weat iun the US, and as far as I remember, I've always gotten the same
cookies. Ya learn somthing new all the time, dont'cha?!?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:31:23 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >For some reason I stopped baking cookies for a few years and decided to
> >just buy them once in a while. My favourites were Peek Freans, but they
> >were bought out by Kraft and the quality went downhill. They got
> >Kraftized. So I stopped buying them.

> Okay, I've gotta ask. What's a Peek Frean?

Peak Freen is a cookie company, or it was a cookie company. I think it is an
English company. They used to have a bakery or distribution centre in
toronto but as far as I can figure it has been taken over by Kraft and had
all it's quality removed. They make a variety of cookies and biscuits and
they used to be really good. They are still better than most, but not as
good as they were even a year ago.
..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> Are there still choices? I used to like the Vanilla sandwich cookies when
> they came in a box with half vanilla and half chocolate. I was never too
> keen on the chocolate covered mint patties.

Based on these posts, I deduce that we Canadians are not as lucky as our
American cousins where Girl Guide cookies are concerned. Our only choices
are the vanilla & chocolate sandwich cookies (50/50 in each box) sold in the
spring and the 'chocolatey mint cookies' that are sold in the fall. Both
are made by Dare®.

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Mar 2006 13:08:21 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:

>Richard Kaszeta wrote:
>>
>> Samoas, where available (where Little Brownie Bakers supply the
>> cookies). Oddly, I don't really like the fairly similar Caramel
>> deLites (made by ABC Bakers). The former is more of a "caramel with a
>> cookie center", while the latter is more of a "caramel coated cookie."
>>
>> Since I live in a border area between two different Girl Scout
>> councils, this means that half the troops aren't selling my preferred
>> cookie.

>Really? GS Cookies aren
>t all made by the same corporation? I had no idea. I've lived east and
>weat iun the US, and as far as I remember, I've always gotten the same
>cookies. Ya learn somthing new all the time, dont'cha?!?

When I lived in the twin cities, the bakeries were different between
Minneapolis and St. Paul. You had to know people who lived on both
sides of the Mississippi and who had daughters, to get the best
variety of cookies.

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> My son and I had such hideous experiences with the Boy Scouts that the name
> of the organizations makes us nauseous. No money for them.

My son never made it as far as scouts, just cubs. The leaders of the local cub
pack were a married couple, a couple of knobs. They were always on his case
about things, not that he was an angel, but they just didn't like him at all.
The last straw was when they had a bicycle safety rodeo and Mrs. Cubleader said
in a loud voice in front of him and everyone else "Don't let this kid anywhere
near a road on a bicycle". I don't think he was that bad. I used to ride all
over the place with him. We would cycle for miles and I never had to worry
about him. I never cared much for either one of those two dinks and I
seriously think that they were judging him on the basis of their negative
attitude towards him. He was a very witty kid and did not get along with their
not surprisingly knobby kid. Ironically, it was their son who got himself
killed in a car accident.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:05:06 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote
>
>> Okay, I've gotta ask. What's a Peek Frean?

>WHAT??! Peek Frean's are a very serious cookie!

The name sounds bizarre!

>(laugh) That was their catchy song ... they make nice
>cookies. Small boxes, pricy. Good.

Is it a brand name, putting out several varieties of cookies, or are
Peek Freans a particular variety?

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:20:14 -0400, "Gabby" >
wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>
>> Are there still choices? I used to like the Vanilla sandwich cookies when
>> they came in a box with half vanilla and half chocolate. I was never too
>> keen on the chocolate covered mint patties.

>Based on these posts, I deduce that we Canadians are not as lucky as our
>American cousins where Girl Guide cookies are concerned. Our only choices
>are the vanilla & chocolate sandwich cookies (50/50 in each box) sold in the
>spring and the 'chocolatey mint cookies' that are sold in the fall. Both
>are made by Dare®.

The fact that you can't get the shortbread cookies is downright
tragic.

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > writes:
> When I lived in the twin cities, the bakeries were different between
> Minneapolis and St. Paul. You had to know people who lived on both
> sides of the Mississippi and who had daughters, to get the best
> variety of cookies.

Yup, I saw the same thing when I lived in Minneapolis.

For the current cookie rundown:

The ABC lineup:
http://www.girlscoutcookiesabc.com/atc/default.asp

The Little Brownie Bakers lineup:
http://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/cookies/cookies.html

None of the cookies are exactly the same between bakers, although it
takes a careful eye to tell the difference between most of the varieties.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:17:07 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Peak Freen is a cookie company, or it was a cookie company. I think it is an
>English company. They used to have a bakery or distribution centre in
>toronto but as far as I can figure it has been taken over by Kraft and had
>all it's quality removed. They make a variety of cookies and biscuits and
>they used to be really good. They are still better than most, but not as
>good as they were even a year ago.

It really sucks when conglomerates take over a smaller company, then
proceed to destry their products.

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:35:53 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 2006-03-28, Doug Kanter > wrote:
>
>> You're kidding, right? All their cookies are awful.

>Nonsense. I've been buying their shortbread cookies for decades.
>Love 'em!
>
>> I just make a
>> contribution and tell them I can't eat cookies. This amazes them.

>That's what I do for their candies. Does freak 'em out, don't it.
>
>I wish the Boy Scouts shilled something good to eat. When I was a
>scout, we sold fireworks to raise money, but the safety police have
>screwed that up. I just send them a check directly, thereby avoiding
>all that PC bullshit from United Way.
>
>nb

Until the city started recycling, the cub scouts had newspaper
collections. Made a fair amount of money with it. They also had an
annual pack dinner with the father-son cake decorating contest.
Auctioned off the cakes.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message

> I wish the Boy Scouts shilled something good to eat.

Our Scouts sell Trail's End popcorn in its many incarnations: kettle corn,
popping corn, "Unbelievable Butter" microwave popcorn, "Butter Light"
microwave popcorn, Chocolaty Caramel Crunch; Gourmet Caramel Corn with
Almonds and Pecans.

The proceeds pay for all camps & outings and helps keep registration fees
down. Each scout who sells popcorn gets the profit that he brings in
credited toward the cost of whatever Jamboree they are raising funds to
attend. So the kid who goes out and sells $1000 worth for 2 years running
probably gets to go to Jamboree without his/her parents having to spend any
money. The kid who sells nothing or whose parents buy one $15 box has to
dish out a small fortune in Jamboree fees. Our colony/pack/troop sell over
$15,000 worth each year in our town of 7500.

Trail's End also has established a scholarship program. Each kid who sells
above a certain amount has money deposited in his name into a scholarship
account that he/she will be able to access when he/she goes to university or
college.

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Richard Kaszeta wrote:

> For the current cookie rundown:
>
> The ABC lineup:
> http://www.girlscoutcookiesabc.com/atc/default.asp

Oh! They still have lemon pastry cremes. Those were very good, but they
haven't been available here in Little Brownie territory in years.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> Okay, I've gotta ask. What's a Peek Frean?

> Peak Freen is a cookie company, or it was a cookie company. I think it is
> an
> English company. They used to have a bakery or distribution centre in
> toronto but as far as I can figure it has been taken over by Kraft and
> had
> all it's quality removed. They make a variety of cookies and biscuits and
> they used to be really good. They are still better than most, but not as
> good as they were even a year ago.
> .

Yes, it is (was?? - who knows who owns it now?) a British firm. I grew up
with them and adored them as a kid. My job on Sundays was to take my
parents their morning tea in bed, along with those biscuits, on a tray.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> >(laugh) That was their catchy song ... they make nice
> >cookies. Small boxes, pricy. Good.

> Is it a brand name, putting out several varieties of cookies, or are
> Peek Freans a particular variety?

It is a brand name. They make a variety of biscuits like Digestive,
Shortbread, Tea biscuits, Nice. My favourites are the round ones with
currants in them. They also have layers biscuits, like Bourbon Cream
(chocolate) , cream filled, jam filled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Doug Kanter" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > Thin mints.
> > --
> > Peace, Om.

> You're kidding, right? All their cookies are awful. I just make a
> contribution and tell them I can't eat cookies. This amazes them.

I'm not kidding... :-)
I LOVE the thin mints, the others are just ok. I never buy the others
but the girls bring them to work.

The thin mints have _years_ of good memories for me.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> It really sucks when conglomerates take over a smaller company, then
> proceed to destry their products.

Yes indeed. We keep hearing all the right wing propaganda about competition and
choices in the market place, but then the biggest capitalists come along and buy
up all the competition and reduce their quality to appeal to the lowest common
denominator.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:04:21 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Thin mints.

> You evil bitch! LOL!

Thank you! <bows>

> I love the ones with caramel, coconut, and chocolate, all piled on top
> of a cookie base. Second and third choices are Thin Mints and
> Shortbread.
>
> You evil, evil bitch!
>
> Peace,
> Carol, who is low-carbing for life

<smiles> It's ok, it's masochism at it's best.
I'm back to serious low carbing too, so GS cookies are out for the time
being.

So are Lindt's truffles.

<sigh>

I've switched back to small lettuce leaves in place of crackers for
snacking. Just had some boston butter lettuce leaves with a smidgin of
mayo, mozarella cheese and a pickle slice.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On 28 Mar 2006 12:17:02 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:
>
> >Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> >
> >> I love the ones with caramel, coconut, and chocolate, all piled on top
> >> of a cookie base.

> >They're called Samoas.

> Yup, that's them. I haven't had any in over a decade. I'm not sure
> if I'd like them now or not, but I don't intend to find out. <G>
>
> Peace,
> Carol

I've not tried them. :-)

On the upside Carol, it's not GS cookie season right now! <G>
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote

> Oh! They still have lemon pastry cremes. Those were very good, but they
> haven't been available here in Little Brownie territory in years.

Oddly enough, I once had Peek Frean's lemon creme cookies,
I loved them so much I always look for them when I see that
brand in the store. Never saw them again.

Just last week, I saw essensia brand ... it's sort of a store
brand? of lemon creme cookies. I can't stop eating them.
It's crazy. Got two more bags today.

Funny that Peek Frean's would come up now. I thought I
finally found a cookie like those PF's I got so many years ago.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Marcella Peek > wrote:

> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>

> > I wish the Boy Scouts shilled something good to eat. When I was a
> > scout, we sold fireworks to raise money, but the safety police have
> > screwed that up. I just send them a check directly, thereby avoiding
> > all that PC bullshit from United Way.
> >
> > nb

> We enjoy their microwave popcorn. Good stuff, nearly all the kernels
> pop and not too much fake butter flavor.
>
> We eat too many boxes of the girlscout Samoas and Thin Mints to count.
> I think there are about six boxes still in the freezer. Husband brought
> home nuts and chocolate mint candies (rather like Frango mints) a few
> months back.
>
> marcella

Ooh, thin mints DO freeze well don't they? ;-)
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
> > You evil bitch! LOL!
> >
> > I love the ones with caramel, coconut, and chocolate, all piled on top
> > of a cookie base. Second and third choices are Thin Mints and
> > Shortbread.

> Are there still choices? I used to like the Vanilla sandwich cookies when
> they came in a box with half vanilla and half chocolate. I was never too
> keen on the chocolate covered mint patties. There aren't any young girls
> living around here and my wife is retired from teaching so we haven't felt
> obligated to buy any for a few years. I can't say that I miss them.
>
> For some reason I stopped baking cookies for a few years and decided to
> just buy them once in a while. My favourites were Peek Freans, but they
> were bought out by Kraft and the quality went downhill. They got
> Kraftized. So I stopped buying them. I decided to make a batch of cookies
> and immediately felt pretty silly for having been buying them when they
> are so easy to make, and so much much better than any you can buy.

Well, there are always the evil evil Mallomars.......
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > Thin mints.

> The best. Try them frozen, even better.
>

> Brian

Agreed!
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> Thin mints.

Peanut Butter Patties, Caramel deLites, and Thin Mints (in that order).

Mary--eating some PB Patties and Thin Mints as I type... (Hey, I AM eating
for three now