Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A real Gin Fizz

Has anyone here tried one of these? My husband gets the Wall St Journal, and one day
a week there is a new recipe with the story of it on the back page of one section. A
month or two ago, Gin Fizzes were featured. I had no idea until then that there was
egg white in these! I made some and my husband and his brother thought they were
quite tasty. Here's the recipe:

Silver Gin Fizz:
juice of 1/2 lemon
juice of 1/2 lime
1 tbsp superfine sugar
1 egg white
2 oz good gin (we used Tanqueray No. 10)
Club Soda, chilled

Combine everything except the soda in a drink shaker. Add ice and shake like crazy
until it feels like your arm will fall off, then shake a few minutes more. Strain
into glass and add a few ounces of club soda to top off. Serve immediately

And for those who prefer rum:
Trader Vic's Rum Fizz
1 1/2 oz light rum (we used Pyrat)
1 oz lemon juice (fresh)
2 tsp superfine sugar
1 egg
1/2-1 ounce cream soda
finely grated orange rind

Combine all but the cream soda and orange rind, and again, shake until you can't
shake no more. Then shake summore! Top off with cream soda after straining into
glass, and finish with grated orange rind.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sound good except for the cream soda. That doesn't fit my taste buds. Rum
and cream soda are a culinary clash.

f.j.

"Nexis" > wrote in message
newsx2Tf.12724$Uc2.1562@fed1read04...
> Has anyone here tried one of these? My husband gets the Wall St Journal,
> and one day a week there is a new recipe with the story of it on the back
> page of one section. A month or two ago, Gin Fizzes were featured. I had
> no idea until then that there was egg white in these! I made some and my
> husband and his brother thought they were quite tasty. Here's the recipe:
>
> Silver Gin Fizz:
> juice of 1/2 lemon
> juice of 1/2 lime
> 1 tbsp superfine sugar
> 1 egg white
> 2 oz good gin (we used Tanqueray No. 10)
> Club Soda, chilled
>
> Combine everything except the soda in a drink shaker. Add ice and shake
> like crazy until it feels like your arm will fall off, then shake a few
> minutes more. Strain into glass and add a few ounces of club soda to top
> off. Serve immediately
>
> And for those who prefer rum:
> Trader Vic's Rum Fizz
> 1 1/2 oz light rum (we used Pyrat)
> 1 oz lemon juice (fresh)
> 2 tsp superfine sugar
> 1 egg
> 1/2-1 ounce cream soda
> finely grated orange rind
>
> Combine all but the cream soda and orange rind, and again, shake until you
> can't shake no more. Then shake summore! Top off with cream soda after
> straining into glass, and finish with grated orange rind.
>
> kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"fudge" > wrote in message
> Sound good except for the cream soda. That doesn't fit my taste buds. Rum and cream
> soda are a culinary clash.
>
> f.j.

I thought so too...not just mixed with rum, but I really don't care for cream soda
anymore. However, in this recipe, it doesn't taste like cream soda at all, and it's
quite good.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 18 Mar 2006 06:34:06p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nexis?

> Has anyone here tried one of these? My husband gets the Wall St Journal,
> and one day a week there is a new recipe with the story of it on the
> back page of one section. A month or two ago, Gin Fizzes were featured.
> I had no idea until then that there was egg white in these! I made some
> and my husband and his brother thought they were quite tasty. Here's the
> recipe:
>
> Silver Gin Fizz:
> juice of 1/2 lemon
> juice of 1/2 lime
> 1 tbsp superfine sugar
> 1 egg white
> 2 oz good gin (we used Tanqueray No. 10)
> Club Soda, chilled
>
> Combine everything except the soda in a drink shaker. Add ice and shake
> like crazy until it feels like your arm will fall off, then shake a few
> minutes more. Strain into glass and add a few ounces of club soda to top
> off. Serve immediately
>
> And for those who prefer rum:
> Trader Vic's Rum Fizz
> 1 1/2 oz light rum (we used Pyrat)
> 1 oz lemon juice (fresh)
> 2 tsp superfine sugar
> 1 egg
> 1/2-1 ounce cream soda
> finely grated orange rind
>
> Combine all but the cream soda and orange rind, and again, shake until
> you can't shake no more. Then shake summore! Top off with cream soda
> after straining into glass, and finish with grated orange rind.
>
> kimberly

Wow, classics right out of the 1930s, right up there with Sidecars, Old-
Fashions, Bronx Cocktails, Manhattans, and Martinis. A Sloe Gin Fizz is
nice, too.

When I was growing up in the late 1940s and 1950s, my parents entertained a
lot and kept a fairly extensive bar. True "cocktail parties" were still
very much in vogue, and drinks like these were still very common. Though
my parents and their friends didn't really seem to drink a lot, they did
enjoy a wide variety of concoctions, all of them interesting.

Here's a fairly extensive guide to drinks of the period...

http://www.cocktailrecipeguide.com/

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:34:06 -0800, Nexis wrote:

> Has anyone here tried one of these? My husband gets the Wall St Journal, and one day
> a week there is a new recipe with the story of it on the back page of one section. A
> month or two ago, Gin Fizzes were featured. I had no idea until then that there was
> egg white in these! I made some and my husband and his brother thought they were
> quite tasty. Here's the recipe:
>
> Silver Gin Fizz:
> juice of 1/2 lemon
> juice of 1/2 lime
> 1 tbsp superfine sugar
> 1 egg white
> 2 oz good gin (we used Tanqueray No. 10)
> Club Soda, chilled
>
> Combine everything except the soda in a drink shaker. Add ice and shake like crazy
> until it feels like your arm will fall off, then shake a few minutes more. Strain
> into glass and add a few ounces of club soda to top off. Serve immediately
>
> And for those who prefer rum:
> Trader Vic's Rum Fizz
> 1 1/2 oz light rum (we used Pyrat)
> 1 oz lemon juice (fresh)
> 2 tsp superfine sugar
> 1 egg
> 1/2-1 ounce cream soda
> finely grated orange rind
>
> Combine all but the cream soda and orange rind, and again, shake until you can't
> shake no more. Then shake summore! Top off with cream soda after straining into
> glass, and finish with grated orange rind.

My favorite is a Ramos Fizz

I don't make 'em, I just drink 'em.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 18 Mar 2006 07:31:13p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:34:06 -0800, Nexis wrote:
>
>> Has anyone here tried one of these? My husband gets the Wall St
>> Journal, and one day a week there is a new recipe with the story of it
>> on the back page of one section. A month or two ago, Gin Fizzes were
>> featured. I had no idea until then that there was egg white in these!
>> I made some and my husband and his brother thought they were quite
>> tasty. Here's the recipe:
>>
>> Silver Gin Fizz:
>> juice of 1/2 lemon
>> juice of 1/2 lime
>> 1 tbsp superfine sugar
>> 1 egg white
>> 2 oz good gin (we used Tanqueray No. 10)
>> Club Soda, chilled
>>
>> Combine everything except the soda in a drink shaker. Add ice and
>> shake like crazy until it feels like your arm will fall off, then
>> shake a few minutes more. Strain into glass and add a few ounces of
>> club soda to top off. Serve immediately
>>
>> And for those who prefer rum:
>> Trader Vic's Rum Fizz
>> 1 1/2 oz light rum (we used Pyrat)
>> 1 oz lemon juice (fresh)
>> 2 tsp superfine sugar
>> 1 egg
>> 1/2-1 ounce cream soda
>> finely grated orange rind
>>
>> Combine all but the cream soda and orange rind, and again, shake until
>> you can't shake no more. Then shake summore! Top off with cream
>> soda after straining into glass, and finish with grated orange rind.
>>

> My favorite is a Ramos Fizz
>
> I don't make 'em, I just drink 'em.

Belly up to the bar, Barbara!

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-19, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Fashions, Bronx Cocktails, Manhattans, and Martinis. A Sloe Gin Fizz is
> nice, too.

Now that's what I always imagined a gin fizz to be, red, as in sloe
gin. Never realized they made them with regular gin.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 18 Mar 2006 10:29:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it notbob?

> On 2006-03-19, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Fashions, Bronx Cocktails, Manhattans, and Martinis. A Sloe Gin Fizz is
>> nice, too.

> Now that's what I always imagined a gin fizz to be, red, as in sloe
> gin. Never realized they made them with regular gin.
>
> nb

Yep, that's what makes them "silver". :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:
> Has anyone here tried one of these? My husband gets the Wall St
> Journal, and one day a week there is a new recipe with the story of
> it on the back page of one section. A month or two ago, Gin Fizzes
> were featured. I had no idea until then that there was egg white in
> these! I made some and my husband and his brother thought they were
> quite tasty. Here's the recipe:
>
> Silver Gin Fizz:
> juice of 1/2 lemon
> juice of 1/2 lime
> 1 tbsp superfine sugar
> 1 egg white
> 2 oz good gin (we used Tanqueray No. 10)
> Club Soda, chilled

Nope; back in the day it was Sloe Gin (the red stuff) and yes, the fizz was
from club soda. Wasn't anything fancy, didn't include egg whites, sugar or
anything else. My mom and her sister used to sip sloe gin fizzes on the
front porch back in WWII.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Nope; back in the day it was Sloe Gin (the red stuff) and yes, the fizz was
> from club soda. Wasn't anything fancy, didn't include egg whites, sugar or
> anything else. My mom and her sister used to sip sloe gin fizzes on the
> front porch back in WWII.

IMNSHO, sloe gin doesn't have much to do with gin. It is made from sloe
berries and a lot of sugar. Sloes are a kind of plum that grows in
England. According to this site, they aren't good for much else:

http://www.sloe.biz/

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 19 Mar 2006 06:45:19p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dan Abel?

> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

>> Nope; back in the day it was Sloe Gin (the red stuff) and yes, the fizz
>> was from club soda. Wasn't anything fancy, didn't include egg whites,
>> sugar or anything else. My mom and her sister used to sip sloe gin
>> fizzes on the front porch back in WWII.

That's true. A Sloe Gin Fizz contains no egg white. A Silver Fizz or
Silver Gin Fizz does.

> IMNSHO, sloe gin doesn't have much to do with gin. It is made from sloe
> berries and a lot of sugar. Sloes are a kind of plum that grows in
> England. According to this site, they aren't good for much else:
>
> http://www.sloe.biz/

It's true that there's little resemblance between Sloe Gin and Gin, but
they are still both called a gin. I think Sloe Gin has a very pleasant
taste used in recipes that were meant for it. I much prefer a good English
style gin.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Nexis wrote:
> > Has anyone here tried one of these? My husband gets the Wall St
> > Journal, and one day a week there is a new recipe with the story of
> > it on the back page of one section. A month or two ago, Gin Fizzes
> > were featured. I had no idea until then that there was egg white in
> > these! I made some and my husband and his brother thought they were
> > quite tasty. Here's the recipe:
> >
> > Silver Gin Fizz:
> > juice of 1/2 lemon
> > juice of 1/2 lime
> > 1 tbsp superfine sugar
> > 1 egg white
> > 2 oz good gin (we used Tanqueray No. 10)
> > Club Soda, chilled

Gin fizzes have long been a holiday brunch tradition in my family. In
the late 1930's my father was a bartender at the clubhouse at the Santa
Anita racetrack near Pasadena. He once gave me the ingredient list of
the gin fizz that they served and here it is:

cracked ice
gin
fresh lemon juice
sugar
orange flower water
whole raw egg
half & half or cream
club soda

Sorry I can't give you measurements but I'm afraid I would screw it up
if I just guessed. ( I've made them many times but I measure visually)
As you can see it is quite nutritious. A couple of these and you can
skip breakfast; have one more and you can skip the rest of the afternoon.
Laissez les bon temps roulez-
D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> Silver Gin Fizz:
>> juice of 1/2 lemon
>> juice of 1/2 lime
>> 1 tbsp superfine sugar
>> 1 egg white
>> 2 oz good gin (we used Tanqueray No. 10)
>> Club Soda, chilled

> My favorite is a Ramos Fizz

A Ramos Gin Fizz doesn't differ all that much from the Silver Gin Fizz
recipe quoted:

Ramos Gin Fizz
1 1/2 ounces dry gin
1/2 ounce lemon juice
1/2 ounce lime juice
2 tablespoons. heavy cream
1 egg white (FRESH, it ought to go without saying)
1 tablespoon superfine sugar
3 to 4 dashes orange flower water
1/4 ounce club soda

Shake all ingredients except club soda vigorously with ice for at least one
minute. This should result in a fairly foamy consistency. (Or blend in a
blender, then pour over ice and stir to chill.) Strain into a wine glass,
top with club soda, and stir gently.

Bob

Stamos Gin Fizz mixr General 0 17-09-2009 08:23 PM
Gin-fizz camrodri General 1 30-03-2009 03:30 PM
Fizz teak Winemaking 6 25-06-2007 03:07 PM
Too much fizz Dave Winemaking 12 11-10-2004 06:14 AM
Fizz X degassing pontiacgagt Winemaking 2 03-02-2004 10:45 PM