pontiacgagt

Default Fizz X degassing

In a normal wine kit at the degassing stage is mentions to stir the
wine to remove the unwanted c02 gas. It says to repeat this step 6-8
times over a two day period. I just got a Fizz X stir stick for my
drill. Will this allow me to completly degass the wine in one session
and continue on with fining? The package says to stir for no more
than 10 sec at a time. Once there is no more foaming, can I assume
that the degassing stage is complete?
MikeMTM

Pontiac,

I've never found my degassing to be so effective that one session would
be enough. I always wind up doing it two or three times over several
weeks. It's surprising how much gas seems to "reappear" even when you
think you got it all

10 sec at a time? Probably not. You might have to use short bursts in
the beginning, so as not to cause an overflow, but you can run it
longer, as long as you don't draw air down into the whirlpool.

Also, be sure to degas at room temperature, as gasses are more soluble
at cool temps.

Best method of all, of course, is to bulk age under an airlock and let
it degas (mostly) by itself.

HTH, Mike MTM

Degassing Ray Winemaking 2 15-11-2006 08:30 PM
degassing Ric Winemaking 2 28-09-2006 07:33 PM
Degassing Robin & Dianne Winemaking 6 22-02-2006 03:01 PM
Degassing PA-ter Winemaking 1 29-11-2004 12:42 AM
Degassing Jason Thomas Winemaking 5 05-01-2004 03:04 PM