Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Physically Challenged Cooking

Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having
and without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with
physical problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and
your ways of dealing with them. Here's mine - I need a step stool in
the kitchen. Reaching for anything is not an option. I get very
frustrated but that's the way it is for now at least. I need things
consistently in their right place otherwise it is just too difficult. I
do a lot of canning as everyone knows here. I get DH to put the canning
pots on the counter as I can't lift them at the moment but I can add
water and I can get jars out. Freezers are a royal pain in the butt for
me. I can get into the sbs but the chest freezers are really a pain!
DH for the most part has to get that stuff out. I cook in bulk as much
as possible to compensate for those days I can't cook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having
> and without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with
> physical problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and
> your ways of dealing with them. Here's mine - I need a step stool in
> the kitchen. Reaching for anything is not an option. I get very
> frustrated but that's the way it is for now at least. I need things
> consistently in their right place otherwise it is just too difficult. I
> do a lot of canning as everyone knows here. I get DH to put the canning
> pots on the counter as I can't lift them at the moment but I can add
> water and I can get jars out. Freezers are a royal pain in the butt for
> me. I can get into the sbs but the chest freezers are really a pain!
> DH for the most part has to get that stuff out. I cook in bulk as much
> as possible to compensate for those days I can't cook.

Are you in a wheelchair???
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"~patches~" > wrote

> do a lot of canning as everyone knows here. I get DH to put the canning
> pots on the counter as I can't lift them at the moment but I can add water
> and I can get jars out. Freezers are a royal pain in the butt for me. I
> can get into the sbs but the chest freezers are really a pain! DH for the
> most part has to get that stuff out. I cook in bulk as much as possible
> to compensate for those days I can't cook.

I'm really sorry you are hurt. Can you get a wheeled cart with shelves
and a place to put it out of the way? Pick through your stuff in the
shelves you can reach in your kitchen and put less used stuff higher
and use the space for more used stuff within reach?

I did that myself, emptied out a cabinet, put that stuff (I hardly
used) somewhere else, and put other things in that space.
Annoys me to rely on someone to get everyday things for me
from a high shelf.

Good luck with that. nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 16:58:27 -0500, ~patches~
> wrote:

>Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having
>and without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with
>physical problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and
>your ways of dealing with them. Here's mine - I need a step stool in
>the kitchen. Reaching for anything is not an option. I get very
>frustrated but that's the way it is for now at least.

Hi Patches,

I only have one tip, and it may or may not be helpful to you. I use a
pair of tongs when I'm accessing a shelf that's close, but not quite
close enough. I was inspired by my mom, who had terrible bursitis,
and who took boxes of cereal, etc. from the top shelf by snagging the
boxtop with a cooking fork and taking them down that way. That may be
helpful when you're navigating the lower cabinets, as well.

I hope I've helped, even just a little. I'll keep thinking. I can't
begin to imagine your frustration, especially with the power cooking
you do.

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having
> and without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with
> physical problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and
> your ways of dealing with them. Here's mine - I need a step stool in
> the kitchen. Reaching for anything is not an option. I get very
> frustrated but that's the way it is for now at least. I need things
> consistently in their right place otherwise it is just too difficult.
> I do a lot of canning as everyone knows here. I get DH to put the
> canning pots on the counter as I can't lift them at the moment but I
> can add water and I can get jars out. Freezers are a royal pain in
> the butt for me. I can get into the sbs but the chest freezers are
> really a pain! DH for the most part has to get that stuff out. I cook
> in bulk as much as possible to compensate for those days I can't cook.

Sounds as though you are reasonably on top of your own problems. I could
tell you all about cooking with my particular physical functional
deficit ( much classier expression than "disability"), but a lot of the
fine details really aren't of general interest. I mean, as I usually
can't take the pot to the water I take the water to the pot by jug but
who needs to know that?

Ashby's First Law of Disability applies in the kitchen as much as
everywhere else - "Everything takes longer and costs more."

Be organised. Go for elegant simplicity - minimising effort doesn't mean
minimising flavour or nutrition, so consult Jill Dupleix or Nigel
Slater for inspiration.Do not try to do everything - if you can buy good
bread or chutney or pate, buy it without any feelings of guilt. Cook
ahead, a full quantity of casserole will do two people for two meals.
Don't even attempt potentially hazardous activities - you will know what
they are in your own particular case. Use labour saving devices and have
somebody around if you know there's going to be heavy lifting.

And have a dog on hand in case of food spills!

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have worked in the field of Rehab Engineering. If you expect these
difficulties to continue the best thing you can do is have a consultation
with a rehab engineer or occupational therapist who specializes in home
and/or workplace modification. There are many new products and methods being
developed that will allow you to continue your quality of life, and they
would be the best resource for accessing them.

Lefty
--
Life is for learning

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having
> and without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with
> physical problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and
> your ways of dealing with them. Here's mine - I need a step stool in
> the kitchen. Reaching for anything is not an option. I get very
> frustrated but that's the way it is for now at least. I need things
> consistently in their right place otherwise it is just too difficult. I
> do a lot of canning as everyone knows here. I get DH to put the canning
> pots on the counter as I can't lift them at the moment but I can add
> water and I can get jars out. Freezers are a royal pain in the butt for
> me. I can get into the sbs but the chest freezers are really a pain!
> DH for the most part has to get that stuff out. I cook in bulk as much
> as possible to compensate for those days I can't cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> ~patches~ > wrote:
>

>>Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having
>>and without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with
>>physical problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and
>>your ways of dealing with them. Here's mine - I need a step stool in
>>the kitchen. Reaching for anything is not an option. I get very
>>frustrated but that's the way it is for now at least. I need things
>>consistently in their right place otherwise it is just too difficult. I
>>do a lot of canning as everyone knows here. I get DH to put the canning
>>pots on the counter as I can't lift them at the moment but I can add
>>water and I can get jars out. Freezers are a royal pain in the butt for
>>me. I can get into the sbs but the chest freezers are really a pain!
>>DH for the most part has to get that stuff out. I cook in bulk as much
>>as possible to compensate for those days I can't cook.

> Are you in a wheelchair???

Not yet but getting close some days ;( That's just not going to happen
if I can help it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "~patches~" > wrote
>

>>do a lot of canning as everyone knows here. I get DH to put the canning
>>pots on the counter as I can't lift them at the moment but I can add water
>>and I can get jars out. Freezers are a royal pain in the butt for me. I
>>can get into the sbs but the chest freezers are really a pain! DH for the
>>most part has to get that stuff out. I cook in bulk as much as possible
>>to compensate for those days I can't cook.

> I'm really sorry you are hurt. Can you get a wheeled cart with shelves
> and a place to put it out of the way? Pick through your stuff in the
> shelves you can reach in your kitchen and put less used stuff higher
> and use the space for more used stuff within reach?

My kitchen is set up as being very efficient but unfortunately there is
no room for a wheeled cart.

> I did that myself, emptied out a cabinet, put that stuff (I hardly
> used) somewhere else, and put other things in that space.
> Annoys me to rely on someone to get everyday things for me
> from a high shelf.

I'm using the step stool or DH. I should almost put the step stool on
wheels but that wouldn't be too safe LOL.

> Good luck with that. nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 16:58:27 -0500, ~patches~
> > wrote:
>

>>Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having
>>and without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with
>>physical problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and
>>your ways of dealing with them. Here's mine - I need a step stool in
>>the kitchen. Reaching for anything is not an option. I get very
>>frustrated but that's the way it is for now at least.

> Hi Patches,
>
> I only have one tip, and it may or may not be helpful to you. I use a
> pair of tongs when I'm accessing a shelf that's close, but not quite
> close enough. I was inspired by my mom, who had terrible bursitis,
> and who took boxes of cereal, etc. from the top shelf by snagging the
> boxtop with a cooking fork and taking them down that way. That may be
> helpful when you're navigating the lower cabinets, as well.
>
> I hope I've helped, even just a little. I'll keep thinking. I can't
> begin to imagine your frustration, especially with the power cooking
> you do.
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Thanks Dams and glad to see you back. I have strict orders not to raise
my arms beyond shoulder height, only as high as straigh horizontal no
further. No reaching and bending a problem as well as lifting.
Straight out in front of me work is fine. DH gets any of my big pots I
need down in the morning so can at least still cook. He reorganized my
lazy susan cupboard but the only way I can use that is to sit on the
floor. It's likely a pretty funny sight to say the least. You all know
how much canning I do so I'm pretty worried this is going to hinder
that. DH said he will help but dang it all this is my domain. I
appreciate his help but I want to do it all myself. This winter has
been really rough so hopefully things will improve. I have an
appointment with the doc shortly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:

> I have worked in the field of Rehab Engineering. If you expect these
> difficulties to continue the best thing you can do is have a consultation
> with a rehab engineer or occupational therapist who specializes in home
> and/or workplace modification. There are many new products and methods being
> developed that will allow you to continue your quality of life, and they
> would be the best resource for accessing them.
>
> Lefty

Lefty, thanks. From what my gp said these problems are going to
continue for some time. I'm seeing a neurosurgeon the end of this
month. In the meantime, I have a rehab person coming in to offer
modification suggestions for all areas of my lifestyle on Tuesday. It
is a huge change for me. I have been in denial hoping it would just go
away but it hasn't. There's been a lot of other things going on and I
really just didn't want to deal with it. I'm determined this is not
going to interfer with my cooking but have conceded that some changes
will be necessary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:35:03 -0500, ~patches~
> wrote:

>Thanks Dams and glad to see you back. I have strict orders not to raise
>my arms beyond shoulder height, only as high as straigh horizontal no
>further. No reaching and bending a problem as well as lifting.
>Straight out in front of me work is fine. DH gets any of my big pots I
>need down in the morning so can at least still cook. He reorganized my
>lazy susan cupboard but the only way I can use that is to sit on the
>floor. It's likely a pretty funny sight to say the least. You all know
>how much canning I do so I'm pretty worried this is going to hinder
>that. DH said he will help but dang it all this is my domain. I
>appreciate his help but I want to do it all myself. This winter has
>been really rough so hopefully things will improve. I have an
>appointment with the doc shortly.

Oh man, this sounds terrible, Patches. (

I read in another post that you'll be consulting with a neurosurgeon.
If s/he is good, you'll feel so much better after surgery. I know
that I did, when mine repaired my lower back.

Take good care of yourself. We're here for you.

Gentle hugs,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:25:04 -0500, ~patches~ wrote:

> > I did that myself, emptied out a cabinet, put that stuff (I hardly
> > used) somewhere else, and put other things in that space.
> > Annoys me to rely on someone to get everyday things for me
> > from a high shelf.

I use an office step stool (in my kitchen) which is on wheels that
lock when you step on it. I've used it for at least 25 years and
have never had a problem with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Reaching for anything is not an option. I get very frustrated but
> that's the way it is for now at least.

This may help http://arcoa.com/products-ezg.htm
http://reacher.com/store/productlist.asp?department=4 They even have one
with a light.

My wife uses a similar one that is probably 50 years old and was common in
grocery stores way back in the old days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 04:06:35 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"~patches~" > wrote in message
>> Reaching for anything is not an option. I get very frustrated but
>> that's the way it is for now at least.

>This may help http://arcoa.com/products-ezg.htm
>http://reacher.com/store/productlist.asp?department=4 They even have one
>with a light.
>
>My wife uses a similar one that is probably 50 years old and was common in
>grocery stores way back in the old days.

I have one that I got when I had my hip replacement surgery. I use it
all the time and it is invaluable. Don't have one with a light
though... Mine used to have a magnet at the end of it, so it could
pick up things like paper clips, etc., but somewhere along the way it
came off.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote

> This may help http://arcoa.com/products-ezg.htm
> http://reacher.com/store/productlist.asp?department=4 They even have one
> with a light.
>
> My wife uses a similar one that is probably 50 years old and was common in
> grocery stores way back in the old days.

I use tongs, I have long ones I got to use outside on the
grill ... they get stuff at least close enough to the edge so
I can just reach it with my fingertips, if it's something to
large to actually take down.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:
> Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having
> and without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with
> physical problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and
> your ways of dealing with them. Here's mine - I need a step stool in
> the kitchen. Reaching for anything is not an option. I get very
> frustrated but that's the way it is for now at least. I need things
> consistently in their right place otherwise it is just too difficult. I
> do a lot of canning as everyone knows here. I get DH to put the canning
> pots on the counter as I can't lift them at the moment but I can add
> water and I can get jars out. Freezers are a royal pain in the butt for
> me. I can get into the sbs but the chest freezers are really a pain!
> DH for the most part has to get that stuff out. I cook in bulk as much
> as possible to compensate for those days I can't cook.

For the stuff in the cabinets, have you considered one of the "grasping
sticks" (I am not sure of the correct name for them) ? It has 2 curved
metal clamps on one end (rubber lined for 'non slippage') and a trigger
on the other end. Put the clamps around what you want, squeeze the
trigger and get it down. I think they also have them with "locks" so
you don't have to keep pressure on the trigger to keep the item grasped
(will let you use both hands/arms to get something down/up ). If I
remember correctly, these are about 2 1/2' - 3' long.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:

> Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having
> and without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with
> physical problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and
> your ways of dealing with them. Here's mine - I need a step stool in
> the kitchen. Reaching for anything is not an option. I get very
> frustrated but that's the way it is for now at least. I need things
> consistently in their right place otherwise it is just too difficult. I
> do a lot of canning as everyone knows here. I get DH to put the canning
> pots on the counter as I can't lift them at the moment but I can add
> water and I can get jars out. Freezers are a royal pain in the butt for
> me. I can get into the sbs but the chest freezers are really a pain!
> DH for the most part has to get that stuff out. I cook in bulk as much
> as possible to compensate for those days I can't cook.

I don't know the exact nature of your problem, however, from you saying
a neurosurgeon, I presume it concerns your back.

If you are not aware, there is a back surgery that is being done on a
"trial basis" for "ONE DISK ONLY" (gotta love the FDA and AMA). This
procedure has been used in Europe for over 15 years, for MULTIPLE disks
and has a 97%+ success rate. Basically, they separate the vertebra,
imbed a metal plate in each vertebra and the put a cushion between the
two plates. The "normal" back surgery here (fusing of the vertebra) has
the following rates: 25% are better, 50% are the same and 25% are
worse. While recovery time for back surgery done here is about 6
months, this procedure from Europe has an average recovery time of about
6 - 8 weeks.

The reason I know about this is that I have degenerative arthritus of
the spine. It is disolving my disks. At present I have 2 disks
completely gone (bone on bone) and 2 more with less than 10% of the disk
left. Fortunately, between the pain killers, a cane and gritting my
teeth, I can still get around somewhat (no wheel chair YET )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 18 Mar 2006 09:27:49p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ted
Campanelli?

> Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
> so great) words of knowledge:
>> Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having
>> and without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with
>> physical problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and
>> your ways of dealing with them. Here's mine - I need a step stool in
>> the kitchen. Reaching for anything is not an option. I get very
>> frustrated but that's the way it is for now at least. I need things
>> consistently in their right place otherwise it is just too difficult. I
>> do a lot of canning as everyone knows here. I get DH to put the canning
>> pots on the counter as I can't lift them at the moment but I can add
>> water and I can get jars out. Freezers are a royal pain in the butt for
>> me. I can get into the sbs but the chest freezers are really a pain!
>> DH for the most part has to get that stuff out. I cook in bulk as much
>> as possible to compensate for those days I can't cook.

> For the stuff in the cabinets, have you considered one of the "grasping
> sticks" (I am not sure of the correct name for them) ? It has 2 curved
> metal clamps on one end (rubber lined for 'non slippage') and a trigger
> on the other end. Put the clamps around what you want, squeeze the
> trigger and get it down. I think they also have them with "locks" so
> you don't have to keep pressure on the trigger to keep the item grasped
> (will let you use both hands/arms to get something down/up ). If I
> remember correctly, these are about 2 1/2' - 3' long.

Those things are a godsend. I bought one when David was recovering from
quadruple bypass surgery and couldn't/shouldn't over-stretch to reach for
or pick up things. Now we use them mainly for picking up the dozens of cat
toys strewn all over the house before we vacuum. :-) I'm not tall, only
5'9", and I still use them for grabbing things off the top shelves in the
kitchen and pantry. Beats hauling out a stepstool any day.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> Lefty wrote:
>
>> I have worked in the field of Rehab Engineering. If you expect these
>> difficulties to continue the best thing you can do is have a
>> consultation
>> with a rehab engineer or occupational therapist who specializes in home
>> and/or workplace modification. There are many new products and
>> methods being
>> developed that will allow you to continue your quality of life, and they
>> would be the best resource for accessing them.
>>
>> Lefty

> Lefty, thanks. From what my gp said these problems are going to
> continue for some time. I'm seeing a neurosurgeon the end of this
> month. In the meantime, I have a rehab person coming in to offer
> modification suggestions for all areas of my lifestyle on Tuesday. It
> is a huge change for me. I have been in denial hoping it would just
> go away but it hasn't. There's been a lot of other things going on
> and I really just didn't want to deal with it. I'm determined this is
> not going to interfer with my cooking but have conceded that some
> changes will be necessary.

Oh my dear, I hadn't realised it was that bad. It sounds like you're
getting, or about to get, all the right professional help as far as
modifications go. Your real challenge is adjusting to your limitations.
Your cooking is going to be interfered with, but that doesn't mean you
stop doing it, it means you do some things differently. Nothing wrong
with that. It's a matter of identifying specific problems and working
around them.

Not wishing to knock the professionals, but if you can get on to other
people with similar problems to your own, you will find them a great
source of both moral support and practical suggestions.

It's not easy accepting that you just can't do some things that you used
to be able to. I know - been there, done that, got the souvenir mug.
It's like one of those computer games where you've got to solve all the
puzzles to get out of the dungeon, complete with maddening frustration
and a fair bit of futile struggle as you try solutions that don't work.

Best of luck, you'll be right in the end.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:
> Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having
> and without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with
> physical problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and
> your ways of dealing with them.

My aunt Jean was legally blind (not totally blind) from the age of about 26
back in the early 1940's. She was an excellent cook. She knew where things
were in her kitchen and around the house by touch. She made wonderful meals
including a fantastic German chocolate cake with coconut pecan frosting.
She also refinished furniture and did pottery as a hobby. So no, you don't
have to tell me about physically challenged people. I know they can and
will do things, if they want to. Thing is, you have to want to.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > "~patches~" > wrote
> >

> >>do a lot of canning as everyone knows here. I get DH to put the canning
> >>pots on the counter as I can't lift them at the moment but I can add water
> >>and I can get jars out. Freezers are a royal pain in the butt for me. I
> >>can get into the sbs but the chest freezers are really a pain! DH for the
> >>most part has to get that stuff out. I cook in bulk as much as possible
> >>to compensate for those days I can't cook.

> > I'm really sorry you are hurt. Can you get a wheeled cart with shelves
> > and a place to put it out of the way? Pick through your stuff in the
> > shelves you can reach in your kitchen and put less used stuff higher
> > and use the space for more used stuff within reach?

> My kitchen is set up as being very efficient but unfortunately there is
> no room for a wheeled cart.
> >
> > I did that myself, emptied out a cabinet, put that stuff (I hardly
> > used) somewhere else, and put other things in that space.
> > Annoys me to rely on someone to get everyday things for me
> > from a high shelf.

> I'm using the step stool or DH. I should almost put the step stool on
> wheels but that wouldn't be too safe LOL.
> >
> > Good luck with that. nancy

We have a step stool at work that is on wheels, but when you put weight
on it, the wheels retract and the solid feet come down. :-)

The wheels are lightly spring loaded.

Maybe you could find something like that?

I can take a pic of it this week if you need it?
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ > writes:

>Lefty, thanks. From what my gp said these problems are going to
>continue for some time. I'm seeing a neurosurgeon the end of this
>month. In the meantime, I have a rehab person coming in to offer
>modification suggestions for all areas of my lifestyle on Tuesday.

The rehab person should have some good ideas for you. I suspect
you'll have to make room for things like a wheeled cart for some items.
The only ideas I had were mentioned here already so I won't repeat them,
but I hope everything clears up for you quickly.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having
and without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with
physical problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and
your ways of dealing with them. <<

I have an arm that barely works because of an accident. Overuse leads
to dropping thing, loss of sensation and pain.
I therefore use a food processor when someone else might not, and I
have three of different sizes and powers. I use two different
mandolines and a microplane. Using a foodmill sometimes ends up with
spur of the moment redecoration.
I am also short so every stepstool, chair and oddment gets used. Not
living with anyone currently, so chest freezer could become a coffin
for me! Upright it is.
I am so used to these things I don't notice until someone starts
whinging about how cooks don't really cook anymore they just process.
I cook for money. Without my helpers I wouldn't make much. I probably
wouldn't eat much either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>>Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having
>>and without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with
>>physical problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and
>>your ways of dealing with them.

> My aunt Jean was legally blind (not totally blind) from the age of about 26
> back in the early 1940's. She was an excellent cook. She knew where things
> were in her kitchen and around the house by touch. She made wonderful meals
> including a fantastic German chocolate cake with coconut pecan frosting.
> She also refinished furniture and did pottery as a hobby. So no, you don't
> have to tell me about physically challenged people. I know they can and
> will do things, if they want to. Thing is, you have to want to.
>
> Jill

Jill, if you have read my posts you know I'm a die hard foodie who does
a lot of canning. The *want* is a given. The ability might be another
issue. Oh and I'm not trying to tell anyone about physically
challenged people. I'm asking for tips on how to cope with this problem
while maintaining my cooking standards as well as not giving up canning.
This type of discussion could be of benefit to more than just me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ted Campanelli wrote:

> Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
> so great) words of knowledge:
>
>> Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having
>> and without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with
>> physical problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and
>> your ways of dealing with them. Here's mine - I need a step stool in
>> the kitchen. Reaching for anything is not an option. I get very
>> frustrated but that's the way it is for now at least. I need things
>> consistently in their right place otherwise it is just too difficult.
>> I do a lot of canning as everyone knows here. I get DH to put the
>> canning pots on the counter as I can't lift them at the moment but I
>> can add water and I can get jars out. Freezers are a royal pain in
>> the butt for me. I can get into the sbs but the chest freezers are
>> really a pain! DH for the most part has to get that stuff out. I cook
>> in bulk as much as possible to compensate for those days I can't cook.

> I don't know the exact nature of your problem, however, from you saying
> a neurosurgeon, I presume it concerns your back.

Cervical - MRI results - C3/C4 mildly affected, C4/C5 worse, C5/C6
significantly affecting spinal cord, C6/C7 worse than C3/C4 but not as
bad as C4/C5 - all due to an accident. I have marked left side
weakness, tingling sensation or numbness and pain. The weakness is bad
enough that I cannot pick up a filled coffe cup with my left hand and my
left leg is rather lazy giving a bit of a limp. The left side weakness
has created a lot of problems. So far I have been able to compensate a
lot with my right side. I'm finding it more difficult to do things but
that doesn't stop me from trying. My gp gave me strict order of what I
can and can't do because of C5/C6 and the symptoms I'm having. She said
this is necessary until I see the neurosurgeon. She is very concerned
that C5/C6 will get a lot worse. Sitting for longer than about 10
minutes or standing is a problem Reaching and lifting are not allowed
right now. I do a lot of moving around mainly to get comfortable.
Sleeping is a problem.

> If you are not aware, there is a back surgery that is being done on a
> "trial basis" for "ONE DISK ONLY" (gotta love the FDA and AMA). This
> procedure has been used in Europe for over 15 years, for MULTIPLE disks
> and has a 97%+ success rate. Basically, they separate the vertebra,
> imbed a metal plate in each vertebra and the put a cushion between the
> two plates. The "normal" back surgery here (fusing of the vertebra) has
> the following rates: 25% are better, 50% are the same and 25% are
> worse. While recovery time for back surgery done here is about 6
> months, this procedure from Europe has an average recovery time of about
> 6 - 8 weeks.

Is this the laser surgery? Someone mentioned that last night as well as
some type of machine to help with the pain. I can't do anything without
my doctor's consent. I've had physio, traction, and deep muscle therapy.
Everything is on hold until I see the neurosurgeon. That makes me a
little nervous that things are worse than she said. I don't like taking
high powered pain killers so I do imagery and seed filled hot packs.
I've done yoga for years but can't right now. I find I'm more
comfortable if I'm moving around then sitting or laying.

> The reason I know about this is that I have degenerative arthritus of
> the spine. It is disolving my disks. At present I have 2 disks
> completely gone (bone on bone) and 2 more with less than 10% of the disk
> left. Fortunately, between the pain killers, a cane and gritting my
> teeth, I can still get around somewhat (no wheel chair YET )

I feel your pain and thanks for sharing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> ~patches~ > wrote:
>

>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>

>>>"~patches~" > wrote

>>>I'm really sorry you are hurt. Can you get a wheeled cart with shelves
>>>and a place to put it out of the way? Pick through your stuff in the
>>>shelves you can reach in your kitchen and put less used stuff higher
>>>and use the space for more used stuff within reach?

>>My kitchen is set up as being very efficient but unfortunately there is
>>no room for a wheeled cart.
>>
>>>I did that myself, emptied out a cabinet, put that stuff (I hardly
>>>used) somewhere else, and put other things in that space.
>>>Annoys me to rely on someone to get everyday things for me
>>>from a high shelf.

>>I'm using the step stool or DH. I should almost put the step stool on
>>wheels but that wouldn't be too safe LOL.
>>
>>>Good luck with that. nancy
>>>

> We have a step stool at work that is on wheels, but when you put weight
> on it, the wheels retract and the solid feet come down. :-)
>
> The wheels are lightly spring loaded.
>
> Maybe you could find something like that?
>
> I can take a pic of it this week if you need it?

Thanks Om. If it like what they use in the libraries, that would be a
lot easier. I'm vertically challenged so need a step stool at the best
of times but one on wheels would really be a blessing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've actually visited their showroom on Lung Guyland

http://www.maxiaids.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > "~patches~" > wrote
> >

> >>do a lot of canning as everyone knows here. I get DH to put the canning
> >>pots on the counter as I can't lift them at the moment but I can add water
> >>and I can get jars out. Freezers are a royal pain in the butt for me. I
> >>can get into the sbs but the chest freezers are really a pain! DH for the
> >>most part has to get that stuff out. I cook in bulk as much as possible
> >>to compensate for those days I can't cook.

> > I'm really sorry you are hurt. Can you get a wheeled cart with shelves
> > and a place to put it out of the way? Pick through your stuff in the
> > shelves you can reach in your kitchen and put less used stuff higher
> > and use the space for more used stuff within reach?

> My kitchen is set up as being very efficient but unfortunately there is
> no room for a wheeled cart.
> >
> > I did that myself, emptied out a cabinet, put that stuff (I hardly
> > used) somewhere else, and put other things in that space.
> > Annoys me to rely on someone to get everyday things for me
> > from a high shelf.

> I'm using the step stool or DH. I should almost put the step stool on
> wheels but that wouldn't be too safe LOL.
> >
> > Good luck with that. nancy

Patches, our county library has a type of step stool that has hidden
wheels, but when you step on it, it drops a bit to stabalize and doesn't
move.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Patches,

It seems that if you ask about specific tasks here , you'll get plenty of
input on how somebody's method is easiest. When I worked in rehab, most of
the adaptive equipment and processes would benefit anybody, not only the
"challenged", and some originated in somebody's tried and true "best way".

I wanted to add that the beauty of getting professional help is often that
it will qualify for insurance or other types of assistance that way. You can
also sometimes borrow products to try out before putting out any cash. This
stuff can get expensive.
Lefty
--
Life is for learning

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>

>>>"~patches~" > wrote

>>>I'm really sorry you are hurt. Can you get a wheeled cart with shelves
>>>and a place to put it out of the way? Pick through your stuff in the
>>>shelves you can reach in your kitchen and put less used stuff higher
>>>and use the space for more used stuff within reach?

>>My kitchen is set up as being very efficient but unfortunately there is
>>no room for a wheeled cart.
>>
>>>I did that myself, emptied out a cabinet, put that stuff (I hardly
>>>used) somewhere else, and put other things in that space.
>>>Annoys me to rely on someone to get everyday things for me
>>>from a high shelf.

>>I'm using the step stool or DH. I should almost put the step stool on
>>wheels but that wouldn't be too safe LOL.
>>
>>>Good luck with that. nancy
>>>

> Patches, our county library has a type of step stool that has hidden
> wheels, but when you step on it, it drops a bit to stabalize and doesn't
> move.

Thanks biig. Someone else suggested this so DH is going shopping tomorrow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-19, biig > wrote:

> Patches, our county library has a type of step stool that has hidden
> wheels, but when you step on it, it drops a bit to stabalize and doesn't
> move.

No doubt you mean these:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G2A3242DC

Very common in industrial environments, also. The best of their type,
IMO.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:

> Patches,
>
> It seems that if you ask about specific tasks here , you'll get plenty of
> input on how somebody's method is easiest. When I worked in rehab, most of
> the adaptive equipment and processes would benefit anybody, not only the
> "challenged", and some originated in somebody's tried and true "best way".
>
> I wanted to add that the beauty of getting professional help is often that
> it will qualify for insurance or other types of assistance that way. You can
> also sometimes borrow products to try out before putting out any cash. This
> stuff can get expensive.
> Lefty

Ok, here are my biggest kitchen problems aside lifting anything of any
weight.

heights - I'm vertically challenged to begin with so have had a step
stool for quite some time. I can stand on the counter and still not
touch the ceiling. With the left side weakness and/or numbing or
tingling, climbing that step stool can be challenging. I can't catch
myself if I misstep but the possiblities of misstepping are greatly
increased. Sol'n so far have been to get DH to get whatever large pots
or equipment down for me first thing in the morning and then he puts
them away at night. This is a really big problem for me. Then If I'm
trying to get something down it is worse.

reaching - strict orders not to raise my arms above my shoulders. Eye
level and counter level is ok. Left side weakness presents some
problems but I'm dealing with it. One corner cupboard is a disaster for me.

standing - Prep work is fine as long as I don't stand in one place for
longer than about 10 minutes. I have a dishwasher so only have to wash
pots and pans.

bending - the lazy susan is in the bank of the lower cabinet. The
*only* way I can get anything out of there is to squat then sit on my
butt and hope to hell I can get back up. So this is a major problem.

freezers - 2 chest freezers and one side by side - If something is near
the top of the chest freezers I can get it. Other than that, no way.
The sbs isn't too bad so DH has been rotating the freezer food for me
more. I'm wondering if getting an upright freezer would be a better idea?

canning - I'm very experienced so feel comfortable running the canners.
Getting jars in or out seems to be ok at the moment. Moving heavy
pots or the canner is a no go.

kitchen size - We have an l-shaped countertop, stuffed to the hilt, not
eat in kichen. There is no room for a wheeled cart or island. My
canning shelf is on one wall so at least that stuff is always
accessible. We can't bump out or make the kitchen larger although DH
does have an architect coming in to see what we could do. If a
wheelchair became a necessity for even a short period of time the whole
back end of our house would have to be redone.

Any and all suggestions welcomed
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 19 Mar 2006 01:01:54p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ~patches~?

> biig wrote:
>

>> ~patches~ wrote:

>>>My kitchen is set up as being very efficient but unfortunately there is
>>>no room for a wheeled cart.

>>>I'm using the step stool or DH. I should almost put the step stool on
>>>wheels but that wouldn't be too safe LOL.

>> Patches, our county library has a type of step stool that has hidden
>> wheels, but when you step on it, it drops a bit to stabalize and
>> doesn't move.
>>

> Thanks biig. Someone else suggested this so DH is going shopping
> tomorrow.

This is the type that was suggested to you.

http://tinyurl.com/fcr3v

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Ok, here are my biggest kitchen problems aside lifting anything of any
> weight.
>
> heights - I'm vertically challenged to begin with so have had a step stool
> for quite some time. I can stand on the counter and still not touch the
> ceiling. With the left side weakness and/or numbing or tingling, climbing
> that step stool can be challenging. I can't catch myself if I misstep but
> the possiblities of misstepping are greatly increased. Sol'n so far have
> been to get DH to get whatever large pots or equipment down for me first
> thing in the morning and then he puts them away at night. This is a
> really big problem for me. Then If I'm trying to get something down it is
> worse.

One sorta solution to paragraph above. I NEVER get on a step stool. If I
can't reach it, DH will bring it down for me. If he weren't available, I'd
have to work out another solution - i.e., get rid of a lot of stuff; put
everything essential at eye level and a little up and a little down.
Don't trust yourself on the smallest step-stool. My opinion only, only
because I don't.

> reaching - strict orders not to raise my arms above my shoulders. Eye
> level and counter level is ok. Left side weakness presents some problems
> but I'm dealing with it. One corner cupboard is a disaster for me.

I can't reach out in front of me with anything weighing much over two lbs.
Just don't try. Put something else in the corner cupboard for DH to do when
he's available.

> standing - Prep work is fine as long as I don't stand in one place for
> longer than about 10 minutes. I have a dishwasher so only have to wash
> pots and pans.

If you're abode is open, or if you have a chair near, put on a timer, then
sit down and relax or read something. Or bring out a tablet to sketch until
you gain back some energy. This is one reason my kitchen is always a mess,
I usually have to work in increments of time. Lots/most of the time I do
mise-en-place, rest, do a few dishes, rest, cook, rest, clean up dishes.
It's an on-going thing.

> bending - the lazy susan is in the bank of the lower cabinet. The *only*
> way I can get anything out of there is to squat then sit on my butt and
> hope to hell I can get back up. So this is a major problem.

Forget about the lazy susan stuff -- don't do it! I have a buffet chest
where I store kitchen towel, cloths, etc. on a lower part. I set it in front
of the buffet in a clothes basket. It sits there until DH unloads it.

> freezers - 2 chest freezers and one side by side - If something is near
> the top of the chest freezers I can get it. Other than that, no way. The
> sbs isn't too bad so DH has been rotating the freezer food for me more.
> I'm wondering if getting an upright freezer would be a better idea?

Maybe size down your freezing space altogether?

> canning - I'm very experienced so feel comfortable running the canners.
> Getting jars in or out seems to be ok at the moment. Moving heavy pots or
> the canner is a no go.

Wait until DH is home for a day or around the house to can.

> kitchen size - We have an l-shaped countertop, stuffed to the hilt, not
> eat in kichen. There is no room for a wheeled cart or island. My canning
> shelf is on one wall so at least that stuff is always accessible. We
> can't bump out or make the kitchen larger although DH does have an
> architect coming in to see what we could do. If a wheelchair became a
> necessity for even a short period of time the whole back end of our house
> would have to be redone.

There is always the in-between mobility and a wheel-chair -- investigate the
purchase or rental of a nice walker.

And it's OK to give in to health problems. Sometimes it seems
insurmountable. Doing less seems terrible when you're used to doing a lot,
but you'll have more time for some sit-down things for a while.

> Any and all suggestions welcomed

Those are my suggestions.
I hope they don't sound too dire. I've faced a lot of the same thing, but
not on the same critical basis that you are facing.
Good health,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

>>Ok, here are my biggest kitchen problems aside lifting anything of any
>>weight.
>>
>>heights - I'm vertically challenged to begin with so have had a step stool
>>for quite some time. I can stand on the counter and still not touch the
>>ceiling. With the left side weakness and/or numbing or tingling, climbing
>>that step stool can be challenging. I can't catch myself if I misstep but
>>the possiblities of misstepping are greatly increased. Sol'n so far have
>>been to get DH to get whatever large pots or equipment down for me first
>>thing in the morning and then he puts them away at night. This is a
>>really big problem for me. Then If I'm trying to get something down it is
>>worse.

> One sorta solution to paragraph above. I NEVER get on a step stool. If I
> can't reach it, DH will bring it down for me. If he weren't available, I'd
> have to work out another solution - i.e., get rid of a lot of stuff; put
> everything essential at eye level and a little up and a little down.
> Don't trust yourself on the smallest step-stool. My opinion only, only
> because I don't.

See, I'm have really developed a fear of falling especially since
falling between the boat and dock last year due to this left sid
problem. That tore a hamstring, not pleasant. I'd like my feet on the
ground but I will use the rubbermaid step stool in the kitchen out of
necessity.

>>reaching - strict orders not to raise my arms above my shoulders. Eye
>>level and counter level is ok. Left side weakness presents some problems
>>but I'm dealing with it. One corner cupboard is a disaster for me.

> I can't reach out in front of me with anything weighing much over two lbs.
> Just don't try. Put something else in the corner cupboard for DH to do when
> he's available.

The corner cupboard is just a major problem for me. I'll talk it over
with DH tonight. Maybe we can do some switching around.

>>standing - Prep work is fine as long as I don't stand in one place for
>>longer than about 10 minutes. I have a dishwasher so only have to wash
>>pots and pans.

> If you're abode is open, or if you have a chair near, put on a timer, then
> sit down and relax or read something. Or bring out a tablet to sketch until
> you gain back some energy. This is one reason my kitchen is always a mess,
> I usually have to work in increments of time. Lots/most of the time I do
> mise-en-place, rest, do a few dishes, rest, cook, rest, clean up dishes.
> It's an on-going thing.

I've been doing the sit to where my leg goes numb. That usually takes
10 min then I have to get up and move. My gp said not to stay sitting
when it does that. But plain standing is a problem I'm having the
numbness in the left side and tingling in the right. I have a smaller
step for putting one leg up to help and I've been doing the
mise-en-place as well.

>>bending - the lazy susan is in the bank of the lower cabinet. The *only*
>>way I can get anything out of there is to squat then sit on my butt and
>>hope to hell I can get back up. So this is a major problem.

> Forget about the lazy susan stuff -- don't do it! I have a buffet chest
> where I store kitchen towel, cloths, etc. on a lower part. I set it in front
> of the buffet in a clothes basket. It sits there until DH unloads it.
>

>>freezers - 2 chest freezers and one side by side - If something is near
>>the top of the chest freezers I can get it. Other than that, no way. The
>>sbs isn't too bad so DH has been rotating the freezer food for me more.
>>I'm wondering if getting an upright freezer would be a better idea?

> Maybe size down your freezing space altogether?

That is DH's suggestion. He figures we should get rid of the big
freezer in the garage because of its age and me being able to get to it
in inclimate weather especially icy weather. He figures if it is gone
then there will be less chance for a slip and fall compounding
pre-existing problems.

>>canning - I'm very experienced so feel comfortable running the canners.
>>Getting jars in or out seems to be ok at the moment. Moving heavy pots or
>>the canner is a no go.

> Wait until DH is home for a day or around the house to can.
>
>>kitchen size - We have an l-shaped countertop, stuffed to the hilt, not
>>eat in kichen. There is no room for a wheeled cart or island. My canning
>>shelf is on one wall so at least that stuff is always accessible. We
>>can't bump out or make the kitchen larger although DH does have an
>>architect coming in to see what we could do. If a wheelchair became a
>>necessity for even a short period of time the whole back end of our house
>>would have to be redone.

> There is always the in-between mobility and a wheel-chair -- investigate the
> purchase or rental of a nice walker.

I'm using one crutch on the days my left side is really bad. My gp said
to put everything including any strengthening exercises on hold until I
see the neurosurgeon. I'm getting in a short walk as in block and back
walk daily on nice days. I think that's helpings and within what she
said I could do. Riding a bike is out

> And it's OK to give in to health problems. Sometimes it seems
> insurmountable. Doing less seems terrible when you're used to doing a lot,
> but you'll have more time for some sit-down things for a while.

See Dee, I'm so used to doing so much all the time. This is really not
sitting well with me!

>>Any and all suggestions welcomed

> Those are my suggestions.
> I hope they don't sound too dire. I've faced a lot of the same thing, but
> not on the same critical basis that you are facing.

Nice to have the suggestions and I really do appreciate them. Thanks.

> Good health,
> Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Mar 2006 11:02:32 -0800, Sheldon wrote:

> I've actually visited their showroom on Lung Guyland
>
> http://www.maxiaids.com

I'm in the market for a decent (easy to use) text to voice software
with a natural sounding voice, not microsoft mechanical. The products
seem to be in the $40 range... does anyone have experience with this
stuff?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:25:55 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>On 19 Mar 2006 11:02:32 -0800, Sheldon wrote:
>
>> I've actually visited their showroom on Lung Guyland
>>
>> http://www.maxiaids.com

>I'm in the market for a decent (easy to use) text to voice software
>with a natural sounding voice, not microsoft mechanical. The products
>seem to be in the $40 range... does anyone have experience with this
>stuff?

I work at the Disabled Students' Program office at UC Berkeley. I've
asked my co-worker who deals with accessible hardware to give me a
recommendation. I'll let you know what she says.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2006-03-19, biig > wrote:
>
> > Patches, our county library has a type of step stool that has hidden
> > wheels, but when you step on it, it drops a bit to stabalize and doesn't
> > move.

> No doubt you mean these:
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?G2A3242DC
>
> Very common in industrial environments, also. The best of their type,
> IMO.
>
> nb

B is the one our library has....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Ok I have eluded a couple of times to some of the problems I'm having and
> without going into detail if anyone out there is dealing with physical
> problems when cooking, would you please mind sharing them and your ways of
> dealing with them. Here's mine - I need a step stool in the kitchen.
> Reaching for anything is not an option. I get very frustrated but that's
> the way it is for now at least. I need things consistently in their right
> place otherwise it is just too difficult. I do a lot of canning as
> everyone knows here. I get DH to put the canning pots on the counter as I
> can't lift them at the moment but I can add water and I can get jars out.
> Freezers are a royal pain in the butt for me. I can get into the sbs but
> the chest freezers are really a pain! DH for the most part has to get that
> stuff out. I cook in bulk as much as possible to compensate for those
> days I can't cook.

Patches, I don't have any suggestions but just wanted to let you know I am
thinking of you and wishing you all the best that is possible and more.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:35:03 -0500, ~patches~
> wrote:

>Thanks Dams and glad to see you back. I have strict orders not to raise
>my arms beyond shoulder height, only as high as straigh horizontal no
>further. No reaching and bending a problem as well as lifting.
>Straight out in front of me work is fine. DH gets any of my big pots I
>need down in the morning so can at least still cook. He reorganized my
>lazy susan cupboard but the only way I can use that is to sit on the
>floor. It's likely a pretty funny sight to say the least. You all know
>how much canning I do so I'm pretty worried this is going to hinder
>that. DH said he will help but dang it all this is my domain. I
>appreciate his help but I want to do it all myself. This winter has
>been really rough so hopefully things will improve. I have an
>appointment with the doc shortly.

I don't know if it would work for you, but I have a 3 foot stick with
rubber coated tongs on the end for grabbing things. I bought it at a
local store, but it has a website listed on it.

http://www.ungerglobal.com

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography