Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default heat challenged Weber?

Have had a Weber Silver gas grill for several years, and I'm largely
pleased with it. Lately, the heat doesn't seem quite as intense. I can
put my hand over the grill for 7-8 seconds on hi. That's not a real
"sear" kind of heat. This is NOT the well known gas leak safety
throttle issue -- I get temps up to about 450F when closed. When I
look at the flame bars, the little flames coming out of the gas holes
(must be several hundred) are not uniform in length. Some are an inch
long, and some are a quarter of an inch long. That is to say, it looks
like the flame bar isn't shooting enough gas through many of the
little holes.

Well, OK, I take my pocketknife and jam it in one of the little gas
holes/slits, and I can make the quarter inch flame from that one turn
into an inch long flame. So ... it looks like these little buggers are
getting clogged up.

So is there a straightforward practice to cleaning these out? Um, the
pocketknife trick is not that convenient.

Looks to me like a small drill bit could make a major difference here.
Just make a bunch of bigger holes! But do I dare?

Is this a recognized issue for this kind of grill? Yeah, I'll try
alt.food.barbeque if I can't get an answer here.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Doug Lassiter wrote:
> Have had a Weber Silver gas grill for several years, and I'm largely
> pleased with it. Lately, the heat doesn't seem quite as intense. I can
> put my hand over the grill for 7-8 seconds on hi. That's not a real
> "sear" kind of heat. This is NOT the well known gas leak safety
> throttle issue -- I get temps up to about 450F when closed. When I
> look at the flame bars, the little flames coming out of the gas holes
> (must be several hundred) are not uniform in length. Some are an inch
> long, and some are a quarter of an inch long. That is to say, it looks
> like the flame bar isn't shooting enough gas through many of the
> little holes.
>
> Well, OK, I take my pocketknife and jam it in one of the little gas
> holes/slits, and I can make the quarter inch flame from that one turn
> into an inch long flame. So ... it looks like these little buggers are
> getting clogged up.
>
> So is there a straightforward practice to cleaning these out? Um, the
> pocketknife trick is not that convenient.
>
> Looks to me like a small drill bit could make a major difference here.
> Just make a bunch of bigger holes! But do I dare?
>
> Is this a recognized issue for this kind of grill? Yeah, I'll try
> alt.food.barbeque if I can't get an answer here.

It's pretty much a recognized issue for most gas grills. The burners in
mine come out and I generally pressure wash the whole thing (with the
regulator taped over) and the burners. Improves flame control and heat
quite well. If you don't have a pressure washer you can just use a hose
with a small nozzle to do the job, be sure to shake out any debris and
excess water. I do my gas grill about every three months. It's all
stainless steel including the cooking grates and the burners are bronze.

George

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Experienced Member

Location: Las Vegas, NV

"Doug Lassiter" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Have had a Weber Silver gas grill for several years, and I'm largely
> pleased with it. Lately, the heat doesn't seem quite as intense. I can
> put my hand over the grill for 7-8 seconds on hi. That's not a real
> "sear" kind of heat. This is NOT the well known gas leak safety
> throttle issue -- I get temps up to about 450F when closed. When I
> look at the flame bars, the little flames coming out of the gas holes
> (must be several hundred) are not uniform in length. Some are an inch
> long, and some are a quarter of an inch long. That is to say, it looks
> like the flame bar isn't shooting enough gas through many of the
> little holes.
>
> Well, OK, I take my pocketknife and jam it in one of the little gas
> holes/slits, and I can make the quarter inch flame from that one turn
> into an inch long flame. So ... it looks like these little buggers are
> getting clogged up.
>
> So is there a straightforward practice to cleaning these out? Um, the
> pocketknife trick is not that convenient.
>
> Looks to me like a small drill bit could make a major difference here.
> Just make a bunch of bigger holes! But do I dare?
>
> Is this a recognized issue for this kind of grill? Yeah, I'll try
> alt.food.barbeque if I can't get an answer here.

I use an air compressor and blow it out. I also use optional steel flavor
bars and cast iron grates.

Tonia

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article .com>,
says...
> Have had a Weber Silver gas grill for several years, and I'm largely
> pleased with it. Lately, the heat doesn't seem quite as intense. I can
> put my hand over the grill for 7-8 seconds on hi. That's not a real
> "sear" kind of heat. This is NOT the well known gas leak safety
> throttle issue -- I get temps up to about 450F when closed. When I
> look at the flame bars, the little flames coming out of the gas holes
> (must be several hundred) are not uniform in length. Some are an inch
> long, and some are a quarter of an inch long. That is to say, it looks
> like the flame bar isn't shooting enough gas through many of the
> little holes.
>
> Well, OK, I take my pocketknife and jam it in one of the little gas
> holes/slits, and I can make the quarter inch flame from that one turn
> into an inch long flame. So ... it looks like these little buggers are
> getting clogged up.
>
> So is there a straightforward practice to cleaning these out? Um, the
> pocketknife trick is not that convenient.
>
> Looks to me like a small drill bit could make a major difference here.
> Just make a bunch of bigger holes! But do I dare?
>
> Is this a recognized issue for this kind of grill? Yeah, I'll try
> alt.food.barbeque if I can't get an answer here.

Don;t drill the holes bigger - they are designed to be the right size
for the gas flow that is available. Just remove the burner and soak it a
bit then ream out the holes with a whittled-down chopstick or a rat-tail
file.

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Feb 4, 5:24 pm, "Doug Lassiter" > wrote:
> Have had a Weber Silver gas grill for several years, and I'm largely
> pleased with it. Lately, the heat doesn't seem quite as intense. I can
> put my hand over the grill for 7-8 seconds on hi. That's not a real
> "sear" kind of heat. This is NOT the well known gas leak safety
> throttle issue -- I get temps up to about 450F when closed. When I
> look at the flame bars, the little flames coming out of the gas holes
> (must be several hundred) are not uniform in length. Some are an inch
> long, and some are a quarter of an inch long. That is to say, it looks
> like the flame bar isn't shooting enough gas through many of the
> little holes.
>
> Well, OK, I take my pocketknife and jam it in one of the little gas
> holes/slits, and I can make the quarter inch flame from that one turn
> into an inch long flame. So ... it looks like these little buggers are
> getting clogged up.
>
> So is there a straightforward practice to cleaning these out? Um, the
> pocketknife trick is not that convenient.
>
> Looks to me like a small drill bit could make a major difference here.
> Just make a bunch of bigger holes! But do I dare?
>
> Is this a recognized issue for this kind of grill? Yeah, I'll try
> alt.food.barbeque if I can't get an answer here.

Go to the hardware store, get a wire brush...

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like removal of the flame bars
followed by a good soaking and pressure wash is the way to go. As to
reaming out the holes or wire brushing them, the holes in the Weber
Silver flame pipes are very small slits. As I said, I can get my small
pocketknife blade in them a bit, but not much. Brushing them will
likely clog them more with metal flakes, and reaming them out is
simply not possible. I could stick my tiny blade in each one a bit,
but that would take a long time to do them all, and may just
temporarily push the clog aside, instead of really removing it.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Feb 5, 8:03 pm, "Doug Lassiter" > wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like removal of the flame bars
> followed by a good soaking and pressure wash is the way to go. As to
> reaming out the holes or wire brushing them, the holes in the Weber
> Silver flame pipes are very small slits. As I said, I can get my small
> pocketknife blade in them a bit, but not much. Brushing them will
> likely clog them more with metal flakes, and reaming them out is
> simply not possible. I could stick my tiny blade in each one a bit,
> but that would take a long time to do them all, and may just
> temporarily push the clog aside, instead of really removing it.

You can also buy a new burner tube for less than $20. There are 3rd
party kits at most hardware stores. Takes about 5 minutes to install.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Feb 6, 10:40 am, "Will" > wrote:
> On Feb 5, 8:03 pm, "Doug Lassiter" > wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like removal of the flame bars
> > followed by a good soaking and pressure wash is the way to go. As to
> > reaming out the holes or wire brushing them, the holes in the Weber
> > Silver flame pipes are very small slits. As I said, I can get my small
> > pocketknife blade in them a bit, but not much. Brushing them will
> > likely clog them more with metal flakes, and reaming them out is
> > simply not possible. I could stick my tiny blade in each one a bit,
> > but that would take a long time to do them all, and may just
> > temporarily push the clog aside, instead of really removing it.

> You can also buy a new burner tube for less than $20. There are 3rd
> party kits at most hardware stores. Takes about 5 minutes to install.

the finest potracks in the world can be found at http://www.modernblacksmith.com

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default now SPAM heat challenged Weber?

"dan" > wrote in message

> the finest potracks in the world can be found at
> http://www.sleazyblacksmith.com

You really are a sleazy spammer

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Feb 11, 10:26 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "dan" > wrote in message
>
> > the finest potracks in the world can be found at
> >http://www.sleazyblacksmith.com

> You really are a sleazy spammer

spam is unsolicited email. I never emailed anyone....

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Feb 11, 10:44 pm, "dan" > wrote:
> On Feb 11, 10:26 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
> > "dan" > wrote in message

> > > the finest potracks in the world can be found at
> > >http://www.sleazyblacksmith.com

> > You really are a sleazy spammer

> spam is unsolicited email. I never emailed anyone....

"don't clean your pans for thirty years...." Mr. ed "botulisim"
pawlozky.... good advise ED

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"dan" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 11, 10:26 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>> "dan" > wrote in message
>>
>> > the finest potracks in the world can be found at
>> >http://www.sleazyblacksmith.com

>> You really are a sleazy spammer

> spam is unsolicited email. I never emailed anyone....

You used a USENET newsgroup for commercial purposes. That is against the
Terms of Service of your internet provider. These groups are for the
discussion of a subject and not for commercial advertising.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. net...

> "dan" > wrote in message
>>
>> the finest potracks in the world can be found at
>> http://www.sleazyblacksmith.com
>>

> You really are a sleazy spammer

You're right there.......& its into the killfile for this dork!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

dan wrote:
> On Feb 11, 10:26 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>> "dan" > wrote in message
>>
>>> the finest potracks in the world can be found at
>>> http://www.sleazyblacksmith.com

>> You really are a sleazy spammer

> spam is unsolicited email. I never emailed anyone....

Spam is also a term that applies to usenet. Or did you miss that email?
http://www.templetons.com/brad/spamterm.html