Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food snob?

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> The weight is an issue. If ya' eat junk you put on the pounds. I don't
> know about the Food Stamps. Can people buy just anything with them?
>
> Michael

Not sure, but food, I think. Comestibles. Not soap, Tampax,
tobacco, laundry detergent, deodorant, or Band-Aids, or toilet paper.
Edible goods.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-17-2006, The $400K Condo in the
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Siobhan Perricone wrote:
> I wasn't going to respond to this thread because so many of you are so
> judgemental about the poor, but I couldn't resist this particular post as
> it was a prime example of one of the challenges the poor face in this
> country.

Siobhan, you are far more judgemental. The consumption of so-called
junk food has very little to do with obesity... just that no one
focuses much on all the skinny melinks who gobble junk foods even more
ferociously than the obese yet remain emaciatedly thin. And there are
plenty of wealthy folks who eat the best foods money can buy, prepared
by professionals under the auspices of dieticians, and yet those are
the most obese of all... just who do you think is supporting all the
grotesquely expensive spas... sure ain't the food stamp toting fatsos.
Economics is not a determinator of obesity. Obesity (like all
physical attributes) is primarily a direct product of genetics and
indirectly buttressed by various psychosis arising from the primary
cause. This is now a proven fact. Some of the genes have already been
isolated, the problem right now is developing treatment. It will
probably be many years yet to complete the research and many more years
to test and approve various treatments. Sociologists have known about
natural selection for a long time now, that people of similar physical
characteristics tend to seek each other out. Naturally their
offspring's genetics will very likely with rare exception mirror their
own... a mere fifty years ago even in the US spouses were far more apt
to be chosen by family elders (who were wiser), not so anymore.
Couple genetics with the fact that in the US there are fewer and fewer
occupations that require physical exertion (everyone wants to drive a
desk), it's no mystery why there's such an explosion of obesity.
Obesity has nothing to do with nutritional ignorance, laziness, or
socio-economics. Across all spectrums, more and more, fat people are
fornicating with more and more fat people, and hardly anyone moves
under their own power anymore, just that simple.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.cardiology

Henhouse wrote:
> A friend of mine accused me of being a food snob the other day...

Someone started the "food snob" thread again. :-(

We might as well crosspost this to the cardio group and flood them with
our irritating rightousness for a while. Turn about is fair play.

Regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Henhouse" > wrote in message
>A friend of mine accused me of being a food snob the other day. Why?
>Because I don't buy processed food, and never go to fast food eateries. I
>also always buy free range chicken and use either eggs from our own free
>range chooks, or bought duck eggs. I also buy organic foods from time to
>time, and try to buy seasonally and locally (being aware of food miles
>etc.) Does this really make me a food snob? I feel quite insulted, to tell
>you the truth - I don't dictate what others should eat, I just make the
>choices I prefer. I enjoy cooking and have the time to spend doing it, plus
>access to great local produce - I'm not sure why this could be seen as
>wrong in some way!
>
> My friend got quite heated about it all, and told me that if I'd got four
> kids and was working full time, I'd soon change my ways and opt for foods
> I could just stick in the microwave (not that she has the four kids etc.,
> just the one 25yr old son). I'm not likely to ever find myself in that
> position, but I imagine that if I had children I'd be even more concerned
> about the foods they were eating than I am about my own. I could be wrong,
> of course!
>
> This is the same friend who is happy to come to dinner at my house, but
> who refuses to return the favour, as she is 'frightened' of cooking for
> me, as I am (allegedly) good at it - LOL! I'd be happy with beans on
> toast, if someone else had cooked it - but that's by the by.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else here has suffered a similar
> accusation, and had any good arguments with which to refute it? Or perhaps
> you think my friend is right and I'm just too precious about the whole
> topic? Opinions welcomed!
>
> Jo

This reminds me of a couple I know who have both, at one time or another,
said to me "I eat to live, I don't live to eat..." While they don't actually
point fingers at me and proclaim that I live to eat, this is the
implication.

When I picture someone who "eats to live" I think of someone who had little
choice and who eats whatever is available. These people, on the other hand,
are picky eaters, IMO. They each have a long list of things they won't eat.

When I picture someone who "lives to eat" I picture someone for whom food is
the entire goal. That's not me. I have plenty of other interests, and I can
be quite happy with a simple meal. But I like to cook and I enjoy eating
good food. I like spices and vegetables and ethnic foods, and a wide variety
of things.

What they mean by their statement is that they "sort of" disapprove of the
time and effort I spend cooking. They don't understand the use of spices,
and anything that can't be on the table with 20 minutes or less of effort
isn't worth doing. They don't get the idea that I like to cook as much as
they enjoy whatever hobbies they have that I'm not interested in, and that
for me, cooking isn't a chore, it's enjoyable. And both DH and I enjoy a
well-made meal, and we like different types of foods, ethnic foods, a wide
range of things. We're not picky eaters at all.

But while these folks seem to disapprove of the time I spend in the kitchen
(or the time they imagine I spend in the kitchen -- there are a lot of
fast-cooking dishes that I make that are fresh, tasty, and healthy) when
they come here for dinner, they eat like ravenous wolves. I've seen them
each eat 3-4 large helpings. And every time we're invited over there, I'm
asked to bring a dozen or so fresh buns. Or a loaf of bread. Homemade, of
course.

I'd say that their "Live to eat" comment is like your friend's "Food snob"
comment. You go through time and effort that your friend wouldn't bother
with. If you want to keep this friend, just agree to disagree. If you think
you can (or want to try to) change her opinion, invite her over to cook with
you and whip up something fresh, easy and fast. When she sees that you can
put a meal together in the same time it takes to nuke some nuggets and make
mac 'n cheese, she might be interested. Or not.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>
>>> Lots easier to just judge her as a fat slob sucking off the
>>> government teat than to actually help her learn a better way. What
>>> a great friend you are. Oh maybe you're nice to her face, but
>>> you're here in public calling her a fat, lazy slob who is
>>> *refusing* to feed her family well at the expense of the tax payers.
>>>

>> I really try not to be judgemental about this kind of thing, but I've
>> worked as a supermarket cashier and I've seen what people buy, food
>> stamps or not. Now, my own dietary choices probably aren't the most
>> stellar, but the sheer amount of crap people are happy with astounds
>> me.

Amen! Sure, I buy some prepared foods. Jarred pasta sauce is a case in
point if I want a quick pasta meal. I buy a lot of frozen vegetables
because the fresh are either not in season, look crappy or cost waaaay more
than a pound bag of the frozen.

And really, how hard is it for someone who doesn't know how to "cook" to
read the directions on a package of frozen vegetables? Or a package of
pasta and a jar of sauce?

> It's scary to see what some people buy. A while ago I was in the
> checkout line at the grocery store behind a big fat lady and her big
> fat daughter. They had a cart full of cases of pop (not diet) potato
> chips chocolate bars, cookies and other snack foods and a small
> amount of prepared food.

Unfortunately, this is true, and it doesn't matter how they are paying for
the items in their cart. Some people just make really poor choices. I like
chips. Fritos, potato chips, like that. But I don't keep bags and bags of
them in the house. If I don't have them I can't eat them.

On the flip side, however, we don't know what people might have in the
freezer, fridge or pantry at home to offset what you see in their carts.

As for what kili said about her friend's buying habits, she knows this woman
pretty well and I know a bit about her from non-rfc conversations. I don't
think the woman doesn't know *how* to do anything or that she doesn't have
room for better food items; it's my impression she just likes to eat junk
and call it dinner. And that's what she's teaching her daughter by
extension.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in message

> This reminds me of a couple I know who have both, at one time or another,
> said to me "I eat to live, I don't live to eat..."

I wonder what their sex life is like. :-(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Siobhan Perricone > wrote:

> It is *so* easy to judge people in this situation. Why don't you take some
> time to find out how much in food stamps and other government assistance
> she actually gets, then look at the prices for fresh foods in your local
> supermarket and think about the size of her family and how much it'd cost
> to feed them good, fresh foods every day. Even at the portions you'd
> consider "sensible".

This is patently untrue. We have been on food stamps, for less than
a year, very early in our marriage when we had one child. We still
shopped the ad circulars, still bought fresh ingredients, still cooked
almost all our meals from scratch. We had money left in our account
_every_ month we were on it. We were even able to get "special" foods
occasionally because of it.

We brought cash with us when we wanted to buy something like ice
cream or pop, the first time, and found out that they were actually
included on the food stamps. We were shocked.

There should be limits on what can be bought, and in my mind, they
should allow things like diapers and toilet paper and soap rather than
pop, ice cream, packaged cookies. They have you come in and meet with
them to get them, and for renewals, and they can teach you about
budgeting, nutrition, give recipes, etc there.

Oh, and another thing, they deducted such things as cable bills, long
distance phone bills, cell phone bills, etc, as well as real living
bills like housing, utilities and such, when determining our available
income. We didn't have those things, because we were _poor_, and
thought that would be considered a luxury. We also asked them to reduce
the amount we got, when we found out how much extra we had, to no avail,
and when we were ready to get off had to work really hard to get them to
believe us.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Siobhan Perricone > wrote:

> An awful lot of the people I know who are on government assistance don't
> have the time, kitchens, cooking implements, or skills to do what would be
> needed to improve their diet. The cost of setting themselves up with the
> necessary things to make a diet of beans and rice palatable is likely
> higher than that they'd save over the course of several months, which, when
> you're living check to check and having to make choices about which bills
> to pay, isn't a very good incentive.

They don't have a knife, a frying pan and a saucepan? Because that's
all you _really_ need. If they have microwaves to reheat burritos, I
bet they have the others.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dee wrote:
> The Ranger wrote:

> > > ..yeah, sometimes I act like the meal is more important
> > > then the person..

> > ...And sometimes you don't act at all... So many other reasons to hang
> > your head.
> >
> > The Ranger
> > --
> > "They're all in my kill file, so I don't see the original posts. [..]
> > I've got enough mental illness..."
> > Marjorie P, am, 2/21/03

> huh?

Just to clarify, my reply about "the meal more important then the
person" is not sarcastic, it is what I am like sometimes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:
>>
>> The weight is an issue. If ya' eat junk you put on the pounds. I don't
>> know about the Food Stamps. Can people buy just anything with them?
>>
>> Michael

> Not sure, but food, I think. Comestibles. Not soap, Tampax,
> tobacco, laundry detergent, deodorant, or Band-Aids, or toilet paper.
> Edible goods.
> --
> -Barb

I've seen food debit cards used now (looks like credit cards.) I've seen
them used in Big Lots for other things than food. I believe these are from
West Virginia. I won't swear either, but I think so. Also at a clothing
store, Gabriel's, a VERY INEXPENSIVE clothing store, they have a sign that
says that they take this sort of payment, whether it is stamps or debit
cards, I can't remember.
Most of the shoppers seem to be RV-ers, people of ethnic origin and people
like me -- old and a little overweight looking for something comfortable to
wear - cheap.
Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:25:04 -0700, "D.Currie"
> wrote:
>This reminds me of a couple I know who have both, at one time or another,
>said to me "I eat to live, I don't live to eat..." While they don't actually
>point fingers at me and proclaim that I live to eat, this is the
>implication.
>
>When I picture someone who "eats to live" I think of someone who had little
>choice and who eats whatever is available. These people, on the other hand,
>are picky eaters, IMO. They each have a long list of things they won't eat.
>
>When I picture someone who "lives to eat" I picture someone for whom food is
>the entire goal. That's not me. I have plenty of other interests, and I can
>be quite happy with a simple meal. But I like to cook and I enjoy eating
>good food. I like spices and vegetables and ethnic foods, and a wide variety
>of things.

[snip]

I simplify it even further. Someone that eats to live is only
interested in food as fuel. They don't care what it is, generally,
because they're not interested in the subtleties (sight, smell, taste,
texture) that the other extreme finds so compelling. It's simply
something they need and will, generally, consume in record gulps. A
subset of this group is Quantity-over-Quality.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:31:40 +0000, Henhouse
> wrote:

>My friend got quite heated about it all, and told me that if I'd got
>four kids and was working full time, I'd soon change my ways and opt for
>foods I could just stick in the microwave (not that she has the four
>kids etc., just the one 25yr old son). I'm not likely to ever find
>myself in that position, but I imagine that if I had children I'd be
>even more concerned about the foods they were eating than I am about my
>own. I could be wrong, of course!

I have 2 kids, I have always worked 80%, and I have never bought
processed food (except for the 4 weeks during our kitchen renovation,
and if I ever had the slightest doubt about what junk those ready-made
meals are, well that time certainly cured me of it...).
When my kids were really little (< 3 yo), I perfected the art of
making good, from scratch, 30 minute meals (that way I would cook when
their father was home and he would watch them). A very useful
experience I must say.
So your friend doesn't really know what she's talking about. Plus, if
you have a big family, ready-made meals are way too expensive. When we
had that 4 week stint with them, my kids were 9 and 6, and 4 portions
weren't enough for the 4 of us, and expensive to boot.
Be a "food snob" and enjoy it - I do ;-)

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Mar 2006 09:31:44 -0800, "dee" > wrote:
[snip]
> Just to clarify, my reply about "the meal more
> important then the person" is not sarcastic, it
> is what I am like sometimes

It's all about balance.

The Ranger
--
Never give the good stuff to the neighbors who wandered over, but
always have something to give them!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If she called you a food snob (or maybe she implied it and you supplied the
label yourself?) she is not talking about your free range duck l'orange or
any of that, she is talking about the way you are treating her.

You want validation from this ng about "What is wrong with her?" and "Why
can't she be like me (us)?" when you should be saying what is wrong with
this picture--what about my actions are making me seem to be a snob to her
(and maybe other friends she talks to?)? If it was absolutely untrue you
wouldn't be worrying about it. Do you truly care about her, or is it "How
dare you call me a snob, you little piece of crap?" How much do you value
this "friendship?"

You could call her up at lunchtime and say "What are you making for lunch
today?" "Hot dogs on white-bread buns and chips, with kool-aid." "Sounds
good, mind if I join you?" "Sure." It won't kill you. Next time she might
feel comfortable calling and inviting you and you say " Burritos and grape
soda? Great, I have some blahblahblah I need to eat up, can I toss it in a
salad and bring it?" "Sure." Do you invite her over when you are just
grazing for lunch or is it always free range fois gras with white truffle
sauce? It's called being friendly. What's important to you, the friend or
your status? Sounds like a status issue to me, and you feel like she's on to
you--not a comfortable position.

You are the only one with the answers depending on what you want out of it:
want the friend?: Friends are equals in things that are most important; want
the status?: Keep going overboard when ever she's around.

You might get validation from your "peers" here but you won't get good
answers from anyone who says it is not your own problem, but that it's OK to
blame somebody else's attributes, and to judge them.

Anybody ready to pounce OT on food stamp recipients en mass with Nineteenth
Century stereotypes is more needy than the financially unfortunate
themselves, and should read an intelligent book once in awhile, or otherwise
stick to what little they actually know something about. There are people
here who have obviously become comfortable splaying uninformed opinions on
any opportunity to make issues because they can count on the support of
familiarity.

In any event, it is not an enviable position to be in; wondering whether or
not you are truly a food snob. Even the most downtrodden single-mother-
with- six- kids food-stamp recipient would have pity on you under such a
burden. I would bet they wouldn't trade one snotty nose to be in your shoes.

Lefty
--
Life is for learning

"Henhouse" > wrote in message
> A friend of mine accused me of being a food snob the other day. Why?
> Because I don't buy processed food, and never go to fast food eateries.
> I also always buy free range chicken and use either eggs from our own
> free range chooks, or bought duck eggs. I also buy organic foods from
> time to time, and try to buy seasonally and locally (being aware of food
> miles etc.) Does this really make me a food snob? I feel quite insulted,
> to tell you the truth - I don't dictate what others should eat, I just
> make the choices I prefer. I enjoy cooking and have the time to spend
> doing it, plus access to great local produce - I'm not sure why this
> could be seen as wrong in some way!
>
> My friend got quite heated about it all, and told me that if I'd got
> four kids and was working full time, I'd soon change my ways and opt for
> foods I could just stick in the microwave (not that she has the four
> kids etc., just the one 25yr old son). I'm not likely to ever find
> myself in that position, but I imagine that if I had children I'd be
> even more concerned about the foods they were eating than I am about my
> own. I could be wrong, of course!
>
> This is the same friend who is happy to come to dinner at my house, but
> who refuses to return the favour, as she is 'frightened' of cooking for
> me, as I am (allegedly) good at it - LOL! I'd be happy with beans on
> toast, if someone else had cooked it - but that's by the by.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else here has suffered a similar
> accusation, and had any good arguments with which to refute it? Or
> perhaps you think my friend is right and I'm just too precious about the
> whole topic? Opinions welcomed!
>
> Jo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:31:49 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

>>It is hard not to be
>>judgmental when you see two fat slobs like that and the reason why they are both
>>so incredibly fat.
>>

> And what just makes me want to scream is when they have the nerve to
> pay for their food with your money, i.e. food stamps. I just want to
> scream out...."now turn around and thank everyone in line for paying
> for your crap!"

Ward, I have a question for you. Have you ever been on the receiving
end of assistance? I've been fortunate enought to have not been for
many reasons but one thing I learned very early in life is never kick a
horse when it is down. Misfortune happens and not when we want it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dee wrote:

> The Ranger wrote:
>
>>On 18 Mar 2006 08:13:44 -0800, "dee" > wrote:
>>
>>>I'd feel so ashamed if I said such things about my
>>>friend on an ng..

>>You have other reasons for being so ashamed.
>>
>>The Ranger
>>---
>>"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
>>I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
>>terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
>>them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
>>unfairness of the universe."
>>-+-+-+ Marcus, 'A Late Delivery From Avalon', Babylon 5

> ...yeah, sometimes I act like the meal is more important then the
> person..

IMO, and please don't take this the wrong way, but the person is always
more important than anything else. Always, always, always. We have a
lot of wonderful people in our lives from family to friends to
acquaintenances. They all enrich our lives. Food just helps that
happen sometimes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:

> On 18 Mar 2006 08:38:21 -0800, "dee" > wrote:
>
>>The Ranger wrote:

>>>You have other reasons for being so ashamed.
>>>

>>..yeah, sometimes I act like the meal is more important
>>then the person..

> ....And sometimes you don't act at all... So many other reasons to hang
> your head.

Hey now, dee was sharing some very real feelings here. Nothing is to be
gained by making her feel guilty. I'm sure she is a good friend just
ranting based on emotion and there is nothing wrong with that. Tis
better she does it here than say it directly to her friend and some of
the comments she gets may help her see it in a new perspective.

> The Ranger
> --
> "They're all in my kill file, so I don't see the original posts. [..]
> I've got enough mental illness..."
> Marjorie P, am, 2/21/03

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:31:49 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> > It is hard not to be
> >judgmental when you see two fat slobs like that and the reason why they are both
> >so incredibly fat.
> >

> And what just makes me want to scream is when they have the nerve to
> pay for their food with your money, i.e. food stamps. I just want to
> scream out...."now turn around and thank everyone in line for paying
> for your crap!"

We don't have food stamps here, but it would be a safe bet that they were on
welfare. they sure didn't look like they had enough ambition to get off the couch to
look for a job. Just please don't give me the line about hormone problems or not
being blessed with a body type that allows them to eat and not gain wait. These two
were fat because they stuff themselves with high calorie pop and junk food by the
cart load. The government would probably be doing them a favour if they cut them off
welfare and made them get off their asses and do something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:31:40 +0000, Henhouse wrote:

> A friend of mine accused me of being a food snob the other day. Why?

I don't know.... you must have said something.

> Because I don't buy processed food, and never go to fast food eateries.
> I also always buy free range chicken and use either eggs from our own
> free range chooks, or bought duck eggs. I also buy organic foods from
> time to time, and try to buy seasonally and locally (being aware of food
> miles etc.) Does this really make me a food snob? I feel quite insulted,
> to tell you the truth - I don't dictate what others should eat, I just
> make the choices I prefer. I enjoy cooking and have the time to spend
> doing it, plus access to great local produce - I'm not sure why this
> could be seen as wrong in some way!

Perhaps you talk endlessly about it and appear to be bragging or have
a holier than thou attitude?

> My friend got quite heated about it all, and told me that if I'd got
> four kids and was working full time, I'd soon change my ways and opt for
> foods I could just stick in the microwave (not that she has the four
> kids etc., just the one 25yr old son). I'm not likely to ever find
> myself in that position, but I imagine that if I had children I'd be
> even more concerned about the foods they were eating than I am about my
> own. I could be wrong, of course!

Maybe she's overly sensitive, but why would she be if you two never
discussed that topic?

> This is the same friend who is happy to come to dinner at my house, but
> who refuses to return the favour, as she is 'frightened' of cooking for
> me, as I am (allegedly) good at it - LOL! I'd be happy with beans on
> toast, if someone else had cooked it - but that's by the by.

My friends don't call me a food snob, but they do laugh about what a
"gourmet cook" (their words, not mine) I am compared to them... it
doesn't hurt my feelings and I don't tell them what they should cook
or how to do it unless asked first.

> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else here has suffered a similar
> accusation, and had any good arguments with which to refute it? Or
> perhaps you think my friend is right and I'm just too precious about the
> whole topic? Opinions welcomed!

Leave it alone, in fact drop the entire topic... if you want to stay
friends with her, that is. If you don't care, beat the topic into the
ground and make her feel lower than dirt. It's your choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Henhouse wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine accused me of being a food snob the other day...

> Someone started the "food snob" thread again. :-(
>
> We might as well crosspost this to the cardio group and flood them with
> our irritating rightousness for a while. Turn about is fair play.
>
> Regards,
> Bob

<snicker> Oh the temptation is so great and I'd love too but behaving I
cut the cross post. Sorry, being the *food snob* I am, I don't really
need them telling me how to eat my steak (or rabbit as the case might be
LOL)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Henhouse wrote:
> A friend of mine accused me of being a food snob the other day. Why?
> Because I don't buy processed food, and never go to fast food eateries.
> I also always buy free range chicken and use either eggs from our own
> free range chooks, or bought duck eggs. I also buy organic foods from
> time to time, and try to buy seasonally and locally (being aware of food
> miles etc.) Does this really make me a food snob? I feel quite insulted,
> to tell you the truth - I don't dictate what others should eat, I just
> make the choices I prefer. I enjoy cooking and have the time to spend
> doing it, plus access to great local produce - I'm not sure why this
> could be seen as wrong in some way!

The only thing wrong here is that you feel insulted. My response to
that would have been, "Thank you very much, you're right, I do enjoy
good food, well prepared."

> My friend got quite heated about it all, and told me that if I'd got
> four kids and was working full time, I'd soon change my ways and opt for
> foods I could just stick in the microwave [snip]

To which, the response is, "Only if getting four kids made me stupid
and lazy."

> This is the same friend who is happy to come to dinner at my house, but
> who refuses to return the favour, as she is 'frightened' of cooking for
> me, [snip]

That's too bad. Apparently you've criticized her cooking?

> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else here has suffered a similar
> accusation, and had any good arguments with which to refute it? [snip]

No. Our friends know I enjoy good food, interesting menus, and
exercising kitchen skills. I don't impose my ways on them or criticize
those who aren't as interested in the details and subtleties. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:

> [...]

> and anything that can't be on the table with 20 minutes or less of effort
> isn't worth doing. They don't get the idea that I like to cook as much as
> they enjoy whatever hobbies they have that I'm not interested in, and that
> for me, cooking isn't a chore, it's enjoyable. And both DH and I enjoy a
> well-made meal, and we like different types of foods, ethnic foods, a wide
> range of things. We're not picky eaters at all.
>
> But while these folks seem to disapprove of the time I spend in the kitchen
> (or the time they imagine I spend in the kitchen -- there are a lot of
> fast-cooking dishes that I make that are fresh, tasty, and healthy) when
> they come here for dinner, they eat like ravenous wolves. I've seen them
> each eat 3-4 large helpings. And every time we're invited over there, I'm
> asked to bring a dozen or so fresh buns. Or a loaf of bread. Homemade, of

What I don't get is why it is anyone else's business how you spend your
time? If you want to spend your time cooking so be it. There's a lot
worse things you could be doing.

> I'd say that their "Live to eat" comment is like your friend's "Food snob"
> comment. You go through time and effort that your friend wouldn't bother
> with. If you want to keep this friend, just agree to disagree. If you think
> you can (or want to try to) change her opinion, invite her over to cook with
> you and whip up something fresh, easy and fast. When she sees that you can
> put a meal together in the same time it takes to nuke some nuggets and make
> mac 'n cheese, she might be interested. Or not.
>
> Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:

>>>I really try not to be judgemental about this kind of thing, but I've
>>>worked as a supermarket cashier and I've seen what people buy, food
>>>stamps or not. Now, my own dietary choices probably aren't the most
>>>stellar, but the sheer amount of crap people are happy with astounds
>>>me.
>>>

> Amen! Sure, I buy some prepared foods. Jarred pasta sauce is a case in
> point if I want a quick pasta meal. I buy a lot of frozen vegetables
> because the fresh are either not in season, look crappy or cost waaaay more
> than a pound bag of the frozen.
>
> And really, how hard is it for someone who doesn't know how to "cook" to
> read the directions on a package of frozen vegetables? Or a package of
> pasta and a jar of sauce?

Some on social assistant are believe it or not illeterate as in they
can't read. Some are mentally challenged and some are mentally ill but
because of the facilities that once helped them are closed they are now
forced to fend for themselves. What I find extremely interesting is
some can go through grade school, pass every grade, yet can't read.

>>It's scary to see what some people buy. A while ago I was in the
>>checkout line at the grocery store behind a big fat lady and her big
>>fat daughter. They had a cart full of cases of pop (not diet) potato
>>chips chocolate bars, cookies and other snack foods and a small
>>amount of prepared food.

> Unfortunately, this is true, and it doesn't matter how they are paying for
> the items in their cart. Some people just make really poor choices. I like
> chips. Fritos, potato chips, like that. But I don't keep bags and bags of
> them in the house. If I don't have them I can't eat them.

Would you want someone telling you what you can and can't eat or buy? I
have dietary restrictions and I can tell you I feel resentful sometimes.
Why shouldn't they, as autonomous persons, be allowed to make their
own decisions whether or not they meet anyone else's standards?

> On the flip side, however, we don't know what people might have in the
> freezer, fridge or pantry at home to offset what you see in their carts.
>
> As for what kili said about her friend's buying habits, she knows this woman
> pretty well and I know a bit about her from non-rfc conversations. I don't
> think the woman doesn't know *how* to do anything or that she doesn't have
> room for better food items; it's my impression she just likes to eat junk
> and call it dinner. And that's what she's teaching her daughter by
> extension.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Doug Kanter" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> > (snippage)

> >> You're normal and your friend's an asshole. Next question.

> > Oh, pishtosh, Doug! Jo doesn't have assholes for friends. Her friend
> > is intimidated and envious and doesn't know how to say so without being
> > attacking.

> I don't buy it. In my first year of college, my friends and I took about 3
> days to realize that if we ate nothing but dorm food, we'd soon be dead. We

(snip)

> Books. We used books. Not only that, but we were smoking astounding
> quantities of pot, and we were STILL able to read the books.

You are entitled to your opinion, most certainly and we will not agree
and I won't push. I stand by my comments equally - that Jo doesn't have
assholes for friends, and that her friend is intimidated and envious and
doesn't know how to say so without being attacking. Someone once said
that the best defense is a good offense and I think it applies here (and
it does not presume that Jo has been attacking her).) Peace.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-17-2006, The $400K Condo in the
'Hood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
sarah bennett > wrote:

> Our lives are governed by the choices we make.

And sometimes by the choices others make for us.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-17-2006, The $400K Condo in the
'Hood

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:
> Ward Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:31:49 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> It is hard not to be
>>> judgmental when you see two fat slobs like that and the reason why
>>> they are both so incredibly fat.
>>>

>> And what just makes me want to scream is when they have the nerve to
>> pay for their food with your money, i.e. food stamps. I just want to
>> scream out...."now turn around and thank everyone in line for paying
>> for your crap!"
>>

> Ward, I have a question for you. Have you ever been on the receiving
> end of assistance? I've been fortunate enought to have not been for
> many reasons but one thing I learned very early in life is never kick
> horse when it is down. Misfortune happens and not when we want it.

I'm not Ward and I've never been on government monetary assistance, but
there was a time in my life years ago when I was on the down-side and had to
accept food from the food bank. It was that or starve.

I was earning about $11,000 a year (gross, not net). My (ex-) husband
wouldn't bother holding a job. I didn't qualify for food stamps, I was just
struggling to keep the bills paid. When I had a few bucks to spend on
groceries, I'd buy (for example) whole chicken (cheap, like 19cents/lb);
canned or frozen veggies, stuff like that. You know, "food"; not "junk
food".

It's also easier to manage a food budget if when you have an extra couple of
dollars, you stock up on things like bags of rice, noodles, beans, and
staples like flour, etc. After that your only real outlay cost-wise is on
meats (if you want to eat meat). Watch for sales; clip coupons.

So yes, it's easy to criticize the choices some people make when you've been
there/done that but you didn't load your cart with sodas, cookies, and
things like frozen pizza rolls and chicken nuggets; those things aren't
cheap. I think that's the real objection here.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article >,
> Siobhan Perricone > wrote:
>
>> An awful lot of the people I know who are on government assistance
>> don't have the time, kitchens, cooking implements, or skills to do
>> what would be needed to improve their diet. The cost of setting
>> themselves up with the necessary things to make a diet of beans and
>> rice palatable is likely higher than that they'd save over the
>> course of several months, which, when you're living check to check
>> and having to make choices about which bills to pay, isn't a very
>> good incentive.

> They don't have a knife, a frying pan and a saucepan? Because
> that's
> all you _really_ need. If they have microwaves to reheat burritos, I
> bet they have the others.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

I agree, Ranee. Even kids in a college dorm with a hot plate have a pan or
two. In this case I don't think she can't cook simple foods; I think she
just doesn't want to be bothered. It's a bad example to set for her
daughter.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:35:47 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Ward Abbott > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:31:40 +0000, Henhouse
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >A friend of mine accused me of being a food snob the other day. Why?

>> And I bet she is grossly overweight. Every time I go to the store
>> and observe shoppers, the overweight people ALWAYS have their cart
>> filled with processed, prepared food.
>>
>> Thin people have good food in their cart and most likely know how to
>> peel a potato and make a mashed potato.

>Hmmm. What about those of us who are overweight and have lots of
>produce in the cart? And little processed food? (All that Progresso
>soup in my cart? Not for me--but that's another topic of discussion.)
>How do you neatly categorize us?

Hear, hear!!!!

I am obese. However, I am working on it, and when you see my shopping
cart, you will see a lot of fresh veggies and fruits. I cook most
things from scratch, and enjoy doing so.

However, there are times when I break down and get prepared food. I
am a traveling nurse, going from contract to contract and I live in
furnished apartments while I am on assignment. The companies I work
for, provide the housing for me. I bring my own utensils, and pots
and pans, etc, cause I hate the crap that is furnished. When I am
packing up and trying to use up all the food in the house, towards the
end of a contract, I am also not cooking as much, since I am also
packing up my cooking equipment AND my staples. There is simply not
enough time to cook, and anything I cook has to be rather plain at
that time, cause the spices are packed up, and so are the other
interesting ingredients I would normally use. And forget about using
equipment other than the very basic stuff.

And the last few days, I don't cook at all, or very, very little. I
am trying to not dirty up the kitchen by the time, so I get some
prepared stuff. Yes, I try to make it as healthy as possible, but
face it, it isn't like the food I can usually prepare myself.

For instance: this week I am trying to use up the chicken breasts I
have in my freezer. I have been craving something bbq'd lately, so I
had been thinking I could maybe cook the chicken breasts with a bbq
sauce, and eat them in bbq chicken sandwiches. I usually make my own
bbq sauce but this time I am going to buy a commercial one. Same with
coleslaw...this time I am going to buy a coleslaw mix.

In the next week or so, I will be taking frozen dinners to work, as I
will have packed all my little containers, etc. No more really fresh
food at work...

These are just examples. So don't prejudge what you see in people's
shopping carts.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:

> If she called you a food snob (or maybe she implied it and you supplied the
> label yourself?) she is not talking about your free range duck l'orange or
> any of that, she is talking about the way you are treating her.
>
> You want validation from this ng about "What is wrong with her?" and "Why
> can't she be like me (us)?" when you should be saying what is wrong with
> this picture--what about my actions are making me seem to be a snob to her
> (and maybe other friends she talks to?)? If it was absolutely untrue you
> wouldn't be worrying about it. Do you truly care about her, or is it "How
> dare you call me a snob, you little piece of crap?" How much do you value
> this "friendship?"
>
> You could call her up at lunchtime and say "What are you making for lunch
> today?" "Hot dogs on white-bread buns and chips, with kool-aid." "Sounds
> good, mind if I join you?" "Sure." It won't kill you. Next time she might
> feel comfortable calling and inviting you and you say " Burritos and grape
> soda? Great, I have some blahblahblah I need to eat up, can I toss it in a
> salad and bring it?" "Sure." Do you invite her over when you are just
> grazing for lunch or is it always free range fois gras with white truffle
> sauce? It's called being friendly. What's important to you, the friend or
> your status? Sounds like a status issue to me, and you feel like she's on to
> you--not a comfortable position.
>
> You are the only one with the answers depending on what you want out of it:
> want the friend?: Friends are equals in things that are most important; want
> the status?: Keep going overboard when ever she's around.
>
> You might get validation from your "peers" here but you won't get good
> answers from anyone who says it is not your own problem, but that it's OK to
> blame somebody else's attributes, and to judge them.
>
> Anybody ready to pounce OT on food stamp recipients en mass with Nineteenth
> Century stereotypes is more needy than the financially unfortunate
> themselves, and should read an intelligent book once in awhile, or otherwise
> stick to what little they actually know something about. There are people
> here who have obviously become comfortable splaying uninformed opinions on
> any opportunity to make issues because they can count on the support of
> familiarity.
>
> In any event, it is not an enviable position to be in; wondering whether or
> not you are truly a food snob. Even the most downtrodden single-mother-
> with- six- kids food-stamp recipient would have pity on you under such a
> burden. I would bet they wouldn't trade one snotty nose to be in your shoes.
>
> Lefty

Lefty, you bring up a lot of good points. Here, it is ok to voice your
opinion and make comments regarding food and cooking, you might not
necessarily make in real life. We all expect it and it happens. We
vent and rave and life goes on because it is usenet. What happens here
really doesn't matter in the big picture. But when you are dealing with
real life situations the relationship is the most important! In some
cases the relationship is enhanced or reinforced through good food and
sometimes the food isn't so good but the focus should always be on the
person and the relationship. See food becomes a way of sharing and
showing you care about the person so it is important but never more
important than the relationship. My opinion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <GlTSf.127813$4l5.20056@dukeread05>,
> Roberta > wrote:
>
>> do buy some processed food...not a whole lot but some (ego waffles,

> Are they oversized? How do you get them to fit in the toaster? "-)

The house we are renting has this cool little toaster oven "hanging"
from the cabinets - I use that works fine (although my 3 year old
likes them frozen) I can say - they eat them without syrup - so I guess
it's not as bad as it could be.

>> Sorry - got off on my own rant there

> It's okay. It helps us feel superior. "-)

I love to help in my own way!

>> Roberta (in VA)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > hitched up their
> panties and posted
> :
>
>>> Sibohnne (sp) said:
>>> Goddess save me from "friends" like you.

>> Barb said:
>> Sweet Jesus! Siobbhan!! May I sit by you? It would be a pleasure
>> to sit at your feet, Lady. Well said!! I salute you.

> Maybe I missed something. Was this thread about food or wealth? I'm
> a big time champion of the poor. If they are able to eat I'm
> grateful.
>
> Michael

(Hey Michael, would you email me, please?)

I'm not wealthy by any means but I donate items to the local food bank at
least twice a year and more often if I can manage it. I think the thread
drift since Siobhann's rant is more about the choices people make than about
stomping on personal economics.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:45:35 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>> kids will eat. Personally, I think she's killing her family. Sad thing is,
>> all this junk "food" is supported by the government. Yep, you got it, Food
>> Stamps. Someone should supervise what kinds of foods people should be
>> allowed to buy on government assistance.
>>
>> kili

>I think they should make sure that the recipients are honestly eligible
>and then stay the hell out of their grocery carts. Have you ever
>offered to help her with meal planning or cooking? Maybe she doesn't
>know how.

I was on Food Stamps for several months back in the mid 90's. And
yes, I was eligible. I had to have more hip replacement surgery, and
I was living in a state that didn't have disablility insurance. I
had NO income coming in, and had rapidly exhausted my meager savings.
Food Stamps were all I had to pay for groceries, and I got the maximum
amounts.

Because I had limited mobility for some time before and after surgery,
my food preparation was also severely limited. I had no help, so I
ate stuff that took almost no preparation. I couldn't drive for some
time, and had to rely on friends to take me grocery shopping. And
that limited the choice of places where I could get good healthy
products.

As I became more mobile, I gradually started cooking more. I was able
to extend what I got from Food Stamps cause I did know how to cook.
But in those early days of me getting food stamps, I often had
prepared foods in them. There simply was no other choice for me.

And food stamps enabled me to keep myself fed for those months I was
out of work.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:47:23 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Sweet Jesus! Siobbhan!! May I sit by you? It would be a pleasure to
>sit at your feet, Lady. Well said!! I salute you.
>--

Can I sit by you guys too? I commend what Siobban said too.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> "Dee Randall" > hitched up their panties and posted
> :
>

>>I have found thru experience there have usually been deep reasons for
>>friends disapproving of my life style. I've had many people who will
>>- to my face - say derisive things. I would have rather them said
>>them behind my back and just leave me alone with their opinions. If
>>you have tender feelings, then you will always be upset by people who
>>disapprove of what you think and do. Some people are born with tender
>>feelings. If you are, be happy with that and judge your friends
>>accordingly. Dee Dee

> I don't know what your lifestyle is Dee. If you are as nice in person as
> you are online, I already like you. It's taken me 30 years to get
> comfortable in my lifestyle. I enjoy living my life as a *** man. Steven
> and I have a wonderful life. To hell with those that disapprove.
>
> Michael

I like Dee too Michael I know we don't agree about the rabbit so
we'll just have to disagree, sorry. But I still like you. I doubt my
friends approve of our lifestyle much either but we are thoroughly
enjoying our lives. We have one of laize fair (sp) type lifestyles
where we do things at the spur of the moment, indulge our kids, travel,
and splurge on ourselves. Self employment allows us the freedom to take
off if and when we want. No bragging just that's the way it is. We
won't be the ones with multi-millions in the bank but we are already
millionaires because of our family and friends. We honestly have the
most amazing family and friends ever! I've taken the attitude that
we're happy, we're enjoying ourselves, so whatever comments are
irrelevant. Our home is peaceful, full of good vibes and anyone is
always welcomed excepting the rabbit (sorry) or mice in the house. I
honesty don't care what others say about us, period. My one neighbour
makes a lot of comments. He's nice and we get along but you know what
he is living his life not mine and so far my life is working just fine
for me, thank-you very much
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>> > (snippage)

>> > Oh, pishtosh, Doug! Jo doesn't have assholes for friends. Her friend
>> > is intimidated and envious and doesn't know how to say so without being
>> > attacking.

>> I don't buy it. In my first year of college, my friends and I took about
>> 3
>> days to realize that if we ate nothing but dorm food, we'd soon be dead.
>> We

> (snip)
>
>> Books. We used books. Not only that, but we were smoking astounding
>> quantities of pot, and we were STILL able to read the books.

> You are entitled to your opinion, most certainly and we will not agree
> and I won't push. I stand by my comments equally - that Jo doesn't have
> assholes for friends, and that her friend is intimidated and envious and
> doesn't know how to say so without being attacking. Someone once said
> that the best defense is a good offense and I think it applies here (and
> it does not presume that Jo has been attacking her).) Peace.
> --
> -Barb

I'm not attacking her. But, you'll notice a trend in some of my posts. There
are people who, for some stupid reason, cannot get a book, follow
instructions, and be independent. I have no respect for those people. Zero.
Zip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Dave Smith > hitched up their panties and
> posted :
>

>>It's scary to see what some people buy. A while ago I was in the
>>checkout line at the grocery store behind a big fat lady and her big
>>fat daughter. They had a cart full of cases of pop (not diet) potato
>>chips chocolate bars, cookies and other snack foods and a small amount
>>of prepared food. It is hard not to be judgmental when you see two
>>fat slobs like that and the reason why they are both so incredibly
>>fat.

> Isn't it just. I'm not talking poor people either. Cookies, cakes etc.
> along with chips, dip and stuff. It amazes me. Maybe it's just me with my
> broccoli, Tilapia and other food.
>
> Michael

No offense, but why do you care what someone else is buying? For all
you know they may be buying something for a person that can't do their
own shopping.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:25:04 -0700, "D.Currie"
> > wrote:
>>This reminds me of a couple I know who have both, at one time or another,
>>said to me "I eat to live, I don't live to eat..." While they don't
>>actually
>>point fingers at me and proclaim that I live to eat, this is the
>>implication.
>>
>>When I picture someone who "eats to live" I think of someone who had
>>little
>>choice and who eats whatever is available. These people, on the other
>>hand,
>>are picky eaters, IMO. They each have a long list of things they won't
>>eat.
>>
>>When I picture someone who "lives to eat" I picture someone for whom food
>>is
>>the entire goal. That's not me. I have plenty of other interests, and I
>>can
>>be quite happy with a simple meal. But I like to cook and I enjoy eating
>>good food. I like spices and vegetables and ethnic foods, and a wide
>>variety
>>of things.

> [snip]
>
> I simplify it even further. Someone that eats to live is only
> interested in food as fuel. They don't care what it is, generally,
> because they're not interested in the subtleties (sight, smell, taste,
> texture) that the other extreme finds so compelling. It's simply
> something they need and will, generally, consume in record gulps. A
> subset of this group is Quantity-over-Quality.
>
> The Ranger

There ya go! That's what I was aiming at, but you said it better. Food as
fuel. Got to file that away somewhere.

These people are *sort of* quantity over quality when it comes to the effort
they're willing to spend on their own food preparation. Sometimes cost is
factored in, but speed and ease of delivery often takes precedence over
ultimate cost.

But they're ready and willing to criticize other people's cooking and are
quite picky when it comes to what they will or won't eat. And when they find
something they do like, they recognize it, eat great portions of it, and
praise it to high heaven. But they wouldn't take the time and effort to
create those sorts of dishes themselves. They have no problem spending money
at restaurants (but their favorite places are buffets -- go figure) and have
no problem praising or criticizing the dishes offered.

So they recognize taste, but aren't willing to put in their own time to
achieve it.

I guess time and effort are the motivating factors here, with quantity
second and quality not much of a factor. I'm not sure where nutrition ranks.
I don't think their choices are terribly unhealthy considering it's not
heavy on fast food, but I don't think it's something they spend a lot of
though on, either.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Amen! Sure, I buy some prepared foods. Jarred pasta sauce is a case in
> point if I want a quick pasta meal.

Are pasta sauces considered prepared foods? It's not like a prepared spaghetti
dinner that you take out of the freezer and pop into the microwave.

> > It's scary to see what some people buy. A while ago I was in the
> > checkout line at the grocery store behind a big fat lady and her big
> > fat daughter. They had a cart full of cases of pop (not diet) potato
> > chips chocolate bars, cookies and other snack foods and a small
> > amount of prepared food.

> Unfortunately, this is true, and it doesn't matter how they are paying for
> the items in their cart. Some people just make really poor choices. I like
> chips. Fritos, potato chips, like that. But I don't keep bags and bags of
> them in the house. If I don't have them I can't eat them.

I have to confess that if I start nibbling on potato chips I will likely eat
them until they are gone. Then I pay for it because I am allergic to potatoes.
But the same would happen with Doritos or Nacho chips. That is why I don't buy
them. If I don't see them around I won't miss them. Perhaps that has something
to do with my feelings of disgust when I see two women who are so incredibly
overweight with a cart load of junk. BTW..... as I recall, they had two carts,
one of them full of bags of junk food, the other with cases of pop. I

> On the flip side, however, we don't know what people might have in the
> freezer, fridge or pantry at home to offset what you see in their carts.
>
> As for what kili said about her friend's buying habits, she knows this woman
> pretty well and I know a bit about her from non-rfc conversations. I don't
> think the woman doesn't know *how* to do anything or that she doesn't have
> room for better food items; it's my impression she just likes to eat junk
> and call it dinner. And that's what she's teaching her daughter by
> extension.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>>Ward Abbott wrote:

>>>And what just makes me want to scream is when they have the nerve to
>>>pay for their food with your money, i.e. food stamps. I just want to
>>>scream out...."now turn around and thank everyone in line for paying
>>>for your crap!"
>>>

>>Ward, I have a question for you. Have you ever been on the receiving
>>end of assistance? I've been fortunate enought to have not been for
>>many reasons but one thing I learned very early in life is never kick
>>horse when it is down. Misfortune happens and not when we want it.

> I'm not Ward and I've never been on government monetary assistance, but
> there was a time in my life years ago when I was on the down-side and had to
> accept food from the food bank. It was that or starve.
>
> I was earning about $11,000 a year (gross, not net). My (ex-) husband
> wouldn't bother holding a job. I didn't qualify for food stamps, I was just
> struggling to keep the bills paid. When I had a few bucks to spend on
> groceries, I'd buy (for example) whole chicken (cheap, like 19cents/lb);
> canned or frozen veggies, stuff like that. You know, "food"; not "junk
> food".
>
> It's also easier to manage a food budget if when you have an extra couple of
> dollars, you stock up on things like bags of rice, noodles, beans, and
> staples like flour, etc. After that your only real outlay cost-wise is on
> meats (if you want to eat meat). Watch for sales; clip coupons.
>
> So yes, it's easy to criticize the choices some people make when you've been
> there/done that but you didn't load your cart with sodas, cookies, and
> things like frozen pizza rolls and chicken nuggets; those things aren't
> cheap. I think that's the real objection here.
>
> Jill

I can appreciate your position, Jill. The thing is some of those on
social assistance as well as those not on in but either lower income or
even just on a budget have never been taught food nutrition, frugal
shopping, or how to cook. I don't find it easy at all to criticize
other people's choices. They make them for a reason and that reason is
not always apparent to an outside observer. I think the real objection
is someone is not doing it the way someone else does. Now, I've been
very vocal about my food choices and the fact that I do a lot of home
preserving but I am also the first one to say my way is not for
everyone. It works for *me* and *my family* period. I think people
have to realize everyone does things differently. Not everyone is into
nutritious eating or cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:45:55 -0500, ~patches~
> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>
>> ~patches~ wrote:

>> It's also easier to manage a food budget if when you have an extra couple of
>> dollars, you stock up on things like bags of rice, noodles, beans, and
>> staples like flour, etc. After that your only real outlay cost-wise is on
>> meats (if you want to eat meat). Watch for sales; clip coupons.
>>
>> So yes, it's easy to criticize the choices some people make when you've been
>> there/done that but you didn't load your cart with sodas, cookies, and
>> things like frozen pizza rolls and chicken nuggets; those things aren't
>> cheap. I think that's the real objection here.
>>
>> Jill
>>

>I can appreciate your position, Jill. The thing is some of those on
>social assistance as well as those not on in but either lower income or
>even just on a budget have never been taught food nutrition, frugal
>shopping, or how to cook. I don't find it easy at all to criticize
>other people's choices. They make them for a reason and that reason is
>not always apparent to an outside observer. I think the real objection
>is someone is not doing it the way someone else does. Now, I've been
>very vocal about my food choices and the fact that I do a lot of home
>preserving but I am also the first one to say my way is not for
>everyone. It works for *me* and *my family* period. I think people
>have to realize everyone does things differently. Not everyone is into
>nutritious eating or cooking.

I wish Damsel could chime in on this. She opened my eyes several
years ago about some of the things that are bought by people on food
stamps and why they buy them.

In essence, you might not be seeing the whole story when you look at a
person's shopping cart. Maybe that person barely has the energy to
shop and little interest in food prep at that time. Forget about
making the effort to cook, even if you are a good cook and love to
cook. Sometimes you just barely have the energy and interest to get
through the day, so you make the easiest choices you can. Sometimes
the only energy you have is to open a can, or put something in the
microwave.

Christine