Robin

Default How long can uncooked chicken sit outside fridge before going bad?

I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.
Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good,
need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

--
"Be kind, because everyone you meet is fighting a desperate battle." Philo of Alexandria. Do not email if posting a response. TO EMAIL, REPLACE X WITH 4
DJS0302

>I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
>about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.
>Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good,
>need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
>it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

If it was frozen when you bought it and the package was still cold and icy by
the time you got it in the refrigerator then it's probably okay. However, if
it came from the refrigerated meat case and wasn't frozen when you bought it
then I would toss it. At 60-65 degrees for such a long time the chicken has
probably gotten too warm and unsafe.
Katra

Robin wrote:

> I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
> about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.
> Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good,
> need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
> it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?
>
> --

It is risky if you pass 2 hours...
Keep an ice chest in the car, but as for that batch, it's up to you. :-)

Personally, if they still smelled ok, I'd cook them up for the chooks.
I learned the hard way not to take risks like that.

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...s&userid=Katra
Reg

Katra wrote:

> Personally, if they still smelled ok, I'd cook them up for the chooks.

Odor isn't a reliable indicator for pathogens, so you shouldn't depend
on it.

If this were me: I would definetely not serve them to guests. I'd probably
eat them myself though, because they're fine in all likelihood.

I see it this way... it's one thing to take a risk for myself, even if it's
small. It's quite another thing to involve others.

Katra

Reg wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Personally, if they still smelled ok, I'd cook them up for the chooks.

> Odor isn't a reliable indicator for pathogens, so you shouldn't depend
> on it.
>
> If this were me: I would definetely not serve them to guests. I'd probably
> eat them myself though, because they're fine in all likelihood.
>
> I see it this way... it's one thing to take a risk for myself, even if it's
> small. It's quite another thing to involve others.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Uh, chooks are chickens... :-)
That is what I suggested she feed them to.

Chickens eat maggots and carrion, etc. It's VERY hard to poison them
with spoiled food! LOL!

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...s&userid=Katra

Reg

Katra wrote:

> Uh, chooks are chickens... :-)
> That is what I suggested she feed them to.

Ah. In that case I'd throw out the costco boxed chicken and cook the
real ones!

I'm jealous. I want my own chicken supply like you have.

Katra

Reg wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Uh, chooks are chickens... :-)
> > That is what I suggested she feed them to.

> Ah. In that case I'd throw out the costco boxed chicken and cook the
> real ones!
>
> I'm jealous. I want my own chicken supply like you have.
>
> --
> Reg =

LOL!

Young rooster is quite good... but the fresh organic eggs are the gods. :-)

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...s&userid=Katra
Saerah Bennett

Katra wrote in message >...
>Uh, chooks are chickens... :-)
>That is what I suggested she feed them to.
>
>Chickens eat maggots and carrion, etc. It's VERY hard to poison them
>with spoiled food! LOL!

um, isnt it kind of, well, wrong to feed chicken to chickens?
or something.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

" I think the burden is on those people who think he didn't have
weapons
of mass destruction to tell the world where they are."
Ari Fleischer
7/9/2003

Jack Schidt®

"Reg" > wrote in message
. com...
> Katra wrote:
>
> > Personally, if they still smelled ok, I'd cook them up for the chooks.

> Odor isn't a reliable indicator for pathogens, so you shouldn't depend
> on it.
>
> If this were me: I would definetely not serve them to guests. I'd probably
> eat them myself though, because they're fine in all likelihood.
>
> I see it this way... it's one thing to take a risk for myself, even if

it's
> small. It's quite another thing to involve others.

Amen. I bend the rules when it's just cooking for me. Especially rule F,
as in 'fff-ffff', for when something hits the floor.

Jack San-i-terry

Kajikit

Robin saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
about it on Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:08:15 -0800:

>I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
>about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.
>Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good,
>need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
>it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

Can we say ewwwww? If the chicken was frozen to start with then it'd
still be nice and cold and fine to use. But if it was fresh then it
got seriously overheated. Cars are like very big ovens and they get
much hotter than the surrounding air, so there's no telling how warm
the chicken got in that length of time. I wouldn't risk it... but I
err on the side of caution with meat because I'm rather paranoid about
germs.

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com

PENMART01

Sqwertz <sqwertz@CLUELESS> writes:

>If you have a cat, they know when something is safe or not.

Safe for a cat, you ****ing dumb piece of sjit. Cats have a far more developed
immune system for raw meat pathogens then do humans. But then again, Sqwertz
is a pussy, and an IDIOT!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Frogleg

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:08:15 -0800, Robin > wrote:

>I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
>about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.
>Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good,
>need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
>it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

Inside the car, it was probably a good deal warmer than 60-65F. And
the chicken has had a couple of days at 'fridge temperature for
bacteria to flourish (remember, a refrigerator isn't a time capsule).
I'd definitely toss them. OTOH, I might have felt safe cooking the
chicken as soon as I got home. For self, not guests, as another poster
has mentioned.
PENMART01

Frogleg croaks:

>I might have felt safe cooking the chicken as soon
>as I got home.
>For self, not guests, as another poster has mentioned.

Yoose ain't much into self worth, low self esteem, eh? And why can't you write
proper sentences, is not English your native tongue. You write in broken
English, like an uneducated WOP, same as that ****tory dummy.

Robin > wrote:
> I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
> about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.
> Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good,
> need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
> it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

It should be okay. Smell the chicken. If it went bad, you can sometimes,
but not always detect it by smell. Be sure to cook the chicken thoroughly.
If you're still in doubt, do not use the chicken. Next time, do your
grocery shopping as your last errand before you head home so you do not
have to worry about such concerns.

J Quick

"Robin" > wrote in message
> I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
> about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.
> Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good,
> need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
> it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

You should toss it. Why? Because you don't seem to know enough about food
contamination to judge whether or not the meat was exposed to too high a
temperature for too long or not.

You cannot tell by whether food is contaminated by smell, taste, or
appearance, short of a microscope and the training to identify pathogens.

Spoilage is not the same thing as contamination. Food can be spoiled and
safe to eat. Food can seem completely fresh and yet kill you due to
contamination. Something that's spoiled may also be contaminated. Spoilage
can be useful to determine whether food may be unsafe to eat, but the lack
of spoilage does NOT indicate that food IS safe to eat. People who get ill
or die from food poisoning usually have no indication that the food they ate
was contaminated. This is why proper food handling is required throughout
the entire process prior to consumption.

ravinwulf

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 05:14:10 -0500, "Saerah Bennett"
<anisaerah@worldlinkisp.****spamcom****spam> wrote:

>Katra wrote in message >...
>>Uh, chooks are chickens... :-)
>>That is what I suggested she feed them to.
>>
>>Chickens eat maggots and carrion, etc. It's VERY hard to poison them
>>with spoiled food! LOL!
>>

>um, isnt it kind of, well, wrong to feed chicken to chickens?
>or something.

LOL Well, maybe....

OTOH, I knew an African Gray parrot who loved Mrs. Winner's fried
chicken. She lived in our office and frequently got bits of whatever
people were eating for lunch that day; if you didn't let her taste,
she drove you crazy sighing heavily every time you took a bite and
begging. It's one thing to be able to ignore those sad eyes your dog
makes; it's quite another to ignore a critter that says, "Give me a
bite please, sweetheart" when she wants something. <g> I can still see
her sitting on her perch, gnawing with obvious relish on a drumstick
she had clutched in her foot. :-)

Regards,
Tracy R.

Nancy Young

Robin wrote:

> I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
> about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.
> Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good,
> need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
> it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

Next time you're in a situation like that, bring a cooler of ice in
your car. Just a suggestion. Or even just pick up one of those
cheapo styrofoam coolers and a bag of ice. You won't have to worry,
then.

My personal feeling is that, if I was concerned, the chicken wouldn't
taste good to me anyway, so why bother.

nancy
Bob Pastorio

Robin wrote:

> I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
> about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.
> Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good,
> need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
> it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

Odor isn't a reliable indicator.

I'd cook them and enjoy the wonderful bounty of our industrialized
agriculture system. Cooking them will kill everything on them. You
might even want to brine them for an hour or two with salt, a smidge
of sugar, garlic powder and maybe a grating of black pepper. The salt
will minimize and off-smells and the brining will make them more
moist, bigger coming out of the cooking pan and tastier.

As a general rule, you probably ought to cook chicken within a day of
buying it for best flavor and smell.

Pastorio

Levelwave©

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> Amen. I bend the rules when it's just cooking for me. Especially rule F,
> as in 'fff-ffff', for when something hits the floor.

Try sharing counter space with a 90lb Doberman who has free roam of the
house... Turn 90 deg. - back around again and your chickens gone...
ziplock bag and all... It's more like 'fff-fff' <growl> *SMACK* <yelp>

~john!

--
Say hello to the rug's topography...It holds quite a lot of interest
with your face down on it...

Scott

In article >,
Robin > wrote:

> I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
> about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.
> Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good,
> need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
> it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

Toss it. According to the US Department of Agricultu

"Pathogenic bacteria do not generally affect the taste, smell, or
appearance of a food. In other words, one cannot tell that a food has
been mishandled or is dangerous to eat. For example, food that has been
left too long on the counter may be dangerous to eat, but could smell
and look fine. If a food has been left in the "Danger Zone" * between 40
and 140 ° F * for more than 2 hours, discard it, even though it may look
and smell good. Never taste a food to see if it is spoiled."

<http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/FAQ/hotlinefaq.htm#6>

please mail OT responses only

PENMART01

Robin wrote:

>I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
>about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.
>Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good,
>need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
>it?

Over $3 worth of fercocktah chicken you are actually considering you'd rather
risk spending the next twenty four hours hugging a toilet bowl, puking your
guts and shitting your intestines into granny knots... you mentally ill M O R O
N ! ! !

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Katra

Saerah Bennett wrote:

> Katra wrote in message >...
> >Uh, chooks are chickens... :-)
> >That is what I suggested she feed them to.
> >
> >Chickens eat maggots and carrion, etc. It's VERY hard to poison them
> >with spoiled food! LOL!
> >

> um, isnt it kind of, well, wrong to feed chicken to chickens?
> or something.
>
> --
> Saerah

Not really. :-)
Chickens will eat anything... Little cannabals they are!

I use them for garbage disposals.....

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...s&userid=Katra
Katra

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > Katra wrote:
> >
> > > Personally, if they still smelled ok, I'd cook them up for the chooks.

> > Odor isn't a reliable indicator for pathogens, so you shouldn't depend
> > on it.
> >
> > If this were me: I would definetely not serve them to guests. I'd probably
> > eat them myself though, because they're fine in all likelihood.
> >
> > I see it this way... it's one thing to take a risk for myself, even if

> it's
> > small. It's quite another thing to involve others.
> >

> Amen. I bend the rules when it's just cooking for me. Especially rule F,
> as in 'fff-ffff', for when something hits the floor.
>
> Jack San-i-terry

I repeat. Chooks is Australian slang for chicken.
I ain't feedin' spoiled chook to humans..... ;-D

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...s&userid=Katra
Frogleg

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:56:33 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>Robin wrote:
>>
>> I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
>> about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.

>My personal feeling is that, if I was concerned, the chicken wouldn't
>taste good to me anyway, so why bother.

"When in doubt, throw it out" is *such* a good guideline. Even to know
enough to ask the question implies one knows the meat's safety/taste
may be compromised. UDSA/FDA/other recommendations may err on the
cautious side, but I don't want to cook a dish and wonder, start to
finish, while eating, and when waking the next day if I should make
sure I'm able to dial 911 in the middle of stomach cramps. Much less
that my name is going to be in the paper as host of a Ptomaine Picnic.
Katra

ravinwulf wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 05:14:10 -0500, "Saerah Bennett"
> <anisaerah@worldlinkisp.****spamcom****spam> wrote:
>

> >Katra wrote in message >...
> >>Uh, chooks are chickens... :-)
> >>That is what I suggested she feed them to.
> >>
> >>Chickens eat maggots and carrion, etc. It's VERY hard to poison them
> >>with spoiled food! LOL!
> >>

> >um, isnt it kind of, well, wrong to feed chicken to chickens?
> >or something.

> LOL Well, maybe....
>
> OTOH, I knew an African Gray parrot who loved Mrs. Winner's fried
> chicken. She lived in our office and frequently got bits of whatever
> people were eating for lunch that day; if you didn't let her taste,
> she drove you crazy sighing heavily every time you took a bite and
> begging. It's one thing to be able to ignore those sad eyes your dog
> makes; it's quite another to ignore a critter that says, "Give me a
> bite please, sweetheart" when she wants something. <g> I can still see
> her sitting on her perch, gnawing with obvious relish on a drumstick
> she had clutched in her foot. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Tracy R.

ROFL!!! Birds are so funny... and they seem to LOVE fried chicken bones!
I've been giving more of those to Freya lately to get her more calcium.
She is a Goffin's cockatoo.

And yes, she begs. <G>

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...s&userid=Katra

Janet Bostwick

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
snip

> Over $3 worth of fercocktah chicken you are actually considering you'd

rather
> risk spending the next twenty four hours hugging a toilet bowl, puking

your
> guts and shitting your intestines into granny knots... you mentally ill M

O R O
> N ! ! !

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon

This is the one, true, to-the-point answer.
Janet

Katra

PENMART01 wrote:

> Robin wrote:
> >
> >I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
> >about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.
> >Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good,
> >need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
> >it?

> Over $3 worth of fercocktah chicken you are actually considering you'd rather
> risk spending the next twenty four hours hugging a toilet bowl, puking your
> guts and shitting your intestines into granny knots... you mentally ill M O R O
> N ! ! !
> Sheldon
> ````````````

He has a point... ;-)
Why risk it? That's why I said cook it up and feed it to the chickens!

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...s&userid=Katra
John Gaughan

Robin wrote:
> Would you toss it or use it?

When in doubt, throw it out. Especially if you are not experienced or
educated in food sanitation and safety.

> Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

No. If it smells bad it *is* bad, but if it smells good, it might still
be bad. Salmonella is odorless ;-)

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Katra

John Gaughan wrote:

> Robin wrote:
> > Would you toss it or use it?

> When in doubt, throw it out. Especially if you are not experienced or
> educated in food sanitation and safety.
>
> > Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

> No. If it smells bad it *is* bad, but if it smells good, it might still
> be bad. Salmonella is odorless ;-)
>
> --
> John Gaughan

John is SO correct on that one! :-P
I learned it the hard way...

Ate a questionable (raw) egg that smelled and tasted fine.
I like steak Tartar.....

After 3 days of severe gastroenteritis, I finally went to the ER
to get help.

Salmonella. :-P

OTOH, the IV Demerol dose almost made it worth it all... <G>

K.
--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...s&userid=Katra
PENMART01

<sqwertz@clueless> writes:

>(PENMART01) wrote:
>
>>And why can't you write proper sentances, is not
>>English your native tongue.'?'

>Speaking of proper sentances... you dolt.

There's nothing wrong wth that sentance structure, but yours is a friggin'
fragment, like your meager brain.

Btw, anyone checks they'll discover I rarely use question marks, only when I
actually want an answer, usually from someone deserving of having discourse,
not you, sqwertz... buh'bye.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Ed

On 15 Dec 2003 21:09:37 GMT, (PENMART01) wrote:

>sentance structure

^
?
"e"

HTH,

--
Kenneth

Ed

On 15 Dec 2003 21:09:37 GMT, (PENMART01) wrote:

>sentance structure

^
?
"e"

HTH,

--
Kenneth

PENMART01

In article >, Ed
<Loparko****ingMoroon> writes:

> (PENMART01) wrote:
>
>>sentance structure

> ^
> ?
> "e"

Spelling is not sentence structure, you moroon.

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dicti...ence+structure
WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [n] the grammatical arrangement of words in sentences
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Ed

On 15 Dec 2003 22:15:34 GMT, (PENMART01) wrote:

>Spelling is not sentence structure, you moroon.

^
?

HTH,
--
Kenneth

Bob Pastorio

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> Robin > wrote:
>=20
>>I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for=20
>>about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees=

=2E =20
>>Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good=

, =20
>>need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use=

=20
>>it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

>=20
> Toss it. According to the US Department of Agricultu
>=20
> "Pathogenic bacteria do not generally affect the taste, smell, or=20
> appearance of a food. In other words, one cannot tell that a food has=20
> been mishandled or is dangerous to eat. For example, food that has been=

=20
> left too long on the counter may be dangerous to eat, but could smell=20
> and look fine. If a food has been left in the "Danger Zone" =AD between=

40=20
> and 140 =B0 F =AD for more than 2 hours, discard it, even though it may=

look=20
> and smell good. Never taste a food to see if it is spoiled."
>=20
> <http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/FAQ/hotlinefaq.htm#6>

Never taste *raw* chicken to see if it's spoiled. Never taste a food=20
*from the counter* to see. Never leave food on the counter for a few=20
hours and *then pick it up and eat it* without cooking it or heating=20
it to a safe temperature.

The meat didn't instantly leap from 25F to 65F. It would take the=20
better part of a few hours to get up to those temperatures if it were=20
just sitting out. In a sealed package with a plastic wrapper over a=20
styrofoam tray, with the meat pressed together as Costco does it, the=20
temperature wouldn't rise appreciably for quite a while. It's packaged=20
that way just for that eventuality.

Some science that flies in the face of "common sense":
<http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents2001/time-temp-calculations.html>

Here's the bacterial growth curves for cooked foods.
<http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents2001/time-temp-calculations.html>

Cooking it will kill salmonella and anything else it may contain. By=20
the time it reaches 165F internal, it's virtually sterile. Spoilage=20
and pathogenic bacteria alike will be killed.

Pastorio

Frogleg

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:51:13 -0500, Bob Pastorio >
wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>
>> Robin > wrote:
>>
>>>I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
>>>about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.
>>>Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good,
>>>need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
>>>it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

>> Toss it. According to the US Department of Agricultu

<snip quote>
>> <http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/FAQ/hotlinefaq.htm#6>

>The meat didn't instantly leap from 25F to 65F. It would take the
>better part of a few hours to get up to those temperatures if it were
>just sitting out. In a sealed package with a plastic wrapper over a
>styrofoam tray, with the meat pressed together as Costco does it, the
>temperature wouldn't rise appreciably for quite a while. It's packaged
>that way just for that eventuality.

Did we ever learn if the chicken was originally frozen or just in a
refrigerator case? I think those are supposed to be around 40F. 5 hrs
in a car (where it would probably be a good deal warmer than the
ambient 60-65F mentioned) would be plenty of time to make *me*
suspicious.

>Some science that flies in the face of "common sense":
><http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents2001/time-temp-calculations.html>

This is for cooked food, presumably starting out with 1 itty bitty
bacteria, not for raw chicken. Since a startling percentage of chicken
sold in the US has an appreciable amount of Salmonella bacteria to
start out with, the 'safe' time at various temperatures on this chart
has no practical relevance.

>Here's the bacterial growth curves for cooked foods.
><http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents2001/time-temp-calculations.html>

(same chart)
Elizabeth Reid

Frogleg > wrote in message >. ..

> "When in doubt, throw it out" is *such* a good guideline. Even to know
> enough to ask the question implies one knows the meat's safety/taste
> may be compromised. UDSA/FDA/other recommendations may err on the
> cautious side, but I don't want to cook a dish and wonder, start to
> finish, while eating, and when waking the next day if I should make
> sure I'm able to dial 911 in the middle of stomach cramps. Much less
> that my name is going to be in the paper as host of a Ptomaine Picnic.

I use this guideline. My husband makes fun of me and my
paranoia, as he thinks I throw out food that is perfectly fine.
However, before he met me, he used to get 'the stomach flu'
at least twice a year. Mysteriously, in the seven years we've
been together he hasn't had it once. He's probably right
that I do sometimes throw away food that's fine, but I'd
rather toss dubious food than toss my cookies!

Beth
Katra

Elizabeth Reid wrote:

> Frogleg > wrote in message >. ..
>
> > "When in doubt, throw it out" is *such* a good guideline. Even to know
> > enough to ask the question implies one knows the meat's safety/taste
> > may be compromised. UDSA/FDA/other recommendations may err on the
> > cautious side, but I don't want to cook a dish and wonder, start to
> > finish, while eating, and when waking the next day if I should make
> > sure I'm able to dial 911 in the middle of stomach cramps. Much less
> > that my name is going to be in the paper as host of a Ptomaine Picnic.

> I use this guideline. My husband makes fun of me and my
> paranoia, as he thinks I throw out food that is perfectly fine.
> However, before he met me, he used to get 'the stomach flu'
> at least twice a year. Mysteriously, in the seven years we've
> been together he hasn't had it once. He's probably right
> that I do sometimes throw away food that's fine, but I'd
> rather toss dubious food than toss my cookies!
>
> Beth

It's also more economical... :-)
Tossing $10.00 worth of food vs. a $600.00 ER bill?

You do the math. <G>

I have insurance so ER only runs me $75.00 co-pay, but still....

K.